Skip to content

Kensai/Mage

How can I mak a Kensai/Mage?
When I select the kensai kit during character creation i cannot select to multiclass afterwards. I tried to create a Kensai hoping to select mage as a multi class when I level up with no success.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Humans can't be multi class, only other races. And you can't pick a kit. As non-human, you could only be Fighter/Mage. If you want a kensai mage, you first need to be a kensai, then dual class to mage during the game.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    There are also requirements to dual classing, I think you have to have at least 15 in your primary ability and 17 in the primary ability of the class you are dualing to. So if you created a kensai with < 17 int, that's probably why you can't dual.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    You also wouldn't want to do it until level 7 in BG1. 7 Kensai / 8 Mage
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    To clarify: Multi-classing is something non-human races do to level up in two or three classes simultaneously, such as a fighter/mage, cleric/thief, or fighter/mage/cleric.

Dual-classing is something only humans can do, involving starting as one class (or kit!) and, at some point from level 2 beyond, permanently shifting to a different class.

A Kensai/Mage involves starting as a human Kensai, then dual-classing to mage later. To dual-class, you need to satisfy the minimum stats of both classes, as well as having 15 in the prime stat of the first class and 17 in the prime stat of the second. This means that you'll need at least 15 strength and 17 intelligence to dual.
  • DrakeloreDrakelore Member Posts: 36
    moopy said:

You also wouldn't want to do it until level 7 in BG1. 7 Kensai / 8 Mage

Does that mean that if I start as a Kensai and choose dualclass as lvl 7, that my Kensai skills will not improve anymore, even when i port my character to BG2 ?

My intention is to distribute my EXP evenly between my kensai/mage classes. For the record I have chosen an Elf for higher dex.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    Drakelore said:

Does that mean that if I start as a Kensai and choose dualclass as lvl 7, that my Kensai skills will not improve anymore, even when i port my character to BG2 ?

Yes, once you dual, you will be able to advance only as mage. If you dual at 7, you will lose the Kensai levels, until your mage level is 8. At that point your Kensai levels will be back, but they will stay at 7.

This is a build optimised for BG1. If you want to optimise for BG2, you'll have to play BG1 entirely as Kensai and dual in BG2 (e.g. at level 13).
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    You are confusing dual and multi classing.

You can't pick a kit as a multi class (which is fine), so if you want to level a fighter class and a mage class at the same time and have both their skills continue to advance you need to multi. Which would only be F/M not Kensai/Mage. So when you make your character pick multiclass, not fighter.

The only way to be Kensai /Mage is to play as a pure Kensai, and then at some point dual to mage, and your Kensai levels never advance again.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited February 2013
    Wouldn't you be able to Shadow Keeper in the Kensai kit on a multi-class character? Or am I mistaken.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited February 2013

Wouldn't you be able to Shadow Keeper in the Kensai kit on a multi-class character? Or am I mistaken.

It think you can SK one of your (multi)classes to a kit but not several.

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    @Wilbur This is correct. You can make a Kensai/Mage, or a Fighter/Mage/Assassin, but not a Kensai/Wild Mage or Kensai/Mage/Assassin (oh god... the cheese, it smells)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Insert sliced gorgonzola A into drive slot B?