Skip to content

I just finger of death a dragon in BG2

Instant kill. How stupid is that?

(In Watcher's Keep level 5)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    1st time?! :O finger of death never worked for me

but i guess if you think it's stupid...don't use it?
  • griever0483griever0483 Member Posts: 129
    You just used up all your luck for your current life. Try again next time! :D
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I just toe of despair'd a demilich! (Stupid joke)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    That happens... you can also kill them with the monk's quivering palm if you're lucky...
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It's more humiliating if you chromatic orb them, but the end result is the same ;)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Lack of immunity vs death magic is OK in PnP but it doesn't work in video games where "reloading until you get it" is easy to do.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Lack of immunity vs death magic is OK in PnP but it doesn't work in video games where "reloading until you get it" is easy to do.

In 3rd edition , as far as I remember, dragons would have fortitude saves sufficiently high to resist any fingers!
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    yap, chromatic orb is for the real men. it's a very short fight. (true story :/ )
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I once found myself in dire straits against the Pit Fiend you can fight in the Underdark, and I managed to beat my with a desperation Emotion spell that actually landed. Had to pummel him with Lower Resistance and Greater Malison spells first, though.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    mlnevese said:

That happens... you can also kill them with the monk's quivering palm if you're lucky...

Actually I did it on my first monk playthrough.

Firkraag died before the end of the first round.

I even reloaded to try again several times, but he always saved after my first successful attempt.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    mjs said:

1st time?! :O finger of death never worked for me

but i guess if you think it's stupid...don't use it?

Yes first finger of death that hit him.

I was basically going all in with a casting barrage and was aiming to get the 2d8+1 damage from finger of death. Then he suddenly dropped death and I was like... what the hell just happened?
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    What @mjs said, though I understand the temptation - I love the Death Spell myself. :)

A more solid solution is to add a mod that changes it, for example I use SCSII which (among other things) gives ALL dragons permanent Death Ward. :)
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Corvino said:

It's more humiliating if you chromatic orb them, but the end result is the same ;)

I haven't managed, so far, to pull this out, though. Not even with the combo Doom+Chromatic Orb in a Minor Sequencer (with Aerie and/or a Cleric/Mage CHARNAME).
    NocturneN said:

What @mjs said, though I understand the temptation - I love the Death Spell myself. :)

A more solid solution is to add a mod that changes it, for example I use SCSII which (among other things) gives ALL dragons permanent Death Ward. :)

Well I was actually under the impression that all bosses had something like that, since this is just... lame
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    DJKajuru said:

In 3rd edition , as far as I remember, dragons would have fortitude saves sufficiently high to resist any fingers!
    Not true. In 3rd edition a natural 1 on any save is automatic failure. But most big dragons would be using "death ward"

edited January 2013
    moopy said:

You fingered the dragon to death?

That's sexual harassment.

Edit: the hell is wrong with image embedding?
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @IkMarc you had a / in your html... I fixed it for you :)
    moopy said:

You fingered the dragon to death?

That's sexual harassment.

My fingers work magic
    moopy said:

I played piano growing up, and the first time my mom met my wife she was talking about that, and said I had magic fingers.

My wife grinned and said, "I know." It was awkward.

But you didn't finger her to death?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited January 2013
    moopy said:

I played piano growing up, and the first time my mom met my wife she was talking about that, and said I had magic fingers.

That's not awkward, that's badass. Props

(Yes I do get the real implication. I just don't see that as awkward. If anyone bragged about my prowess in bed I would feel awesome)
    Quartz said:

moopy said:

That's not awkward, that's badass. Props

(Yes I do get the real implication. I just don't see that as awkward. If anyone bragged about my prowess in bed I would feel badass not awkward.)
    Not when your mom is involved in the conversation dude....
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Stupid?
    Remove "of death" from the title of the topic.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited January 2013
    Damn you moopy, I just read your post QQ
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited January 2013
    IkMarc said:

Instant kill. How stupid is that?

(In Watcher's Keep level 5)

Let's take for example FIrekraag (I believe the WK dragon should have about the same stats)
    He has 65% MR, and his save vs magic is 6.
    So.
    You had
    35% chance to overcome the MR
    He has to roll 8 or better to save against your spell, so 35% chance for him to fail the save.

0.35*0.35 = 12,25% chance to work

You just got lucky, that's all. I actually find that awesome that you can use these kind of spells against dragons, rather than having them be useless.

Edit.: Also note that to cast level 7 spells, your Wizard has to be level 15. Surely worth of a dragon.
    Also note that to ensure the death of the dragon, you'd need :
    3xLower MR
    1xCurse
    1xDoom

To lower his MR to 0 and his saves to 12.
    Leaving you with a 65% chance to kill him by casting finger of death.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    @Quartz

What IkMarc said. SUPER awkward. And this was like the first time my mom had met my now wife, when we were dating. First impressions yaaaaaaaaaaaaay :P