Skip to content

ETA on next patch ?

Does anybody know when the next patch will come out ?

Comments

• LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I don't think even the devs knows that. So far they have been giving us fair warning in the general forum before a patch is about to come out. In these they have dropped hints or outright stated what is going to be fixed (or at least what they believe/hope will be fixed :P)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, they said they would be syncing the patches, and the game hasn't even come out on OSX yet, so I would assume the next patch will be mid-late February or so.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Ouch. That RoF bug really is annoying...
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Soon.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    SOON :D
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    They just pulled the Mac build from review a couple days ago to fix a bug. At this point, I can't imagine that they are not submitting the Mac build with 2013 code. If the game passes submission, they can put up iPad 2013 code, and if that passes, they can release both Apple and PC patches at the same time.
  • pipinhopipinho Member Posts: 55
    my guess is march, i mean they just released the ipad patch
  • Considering an estimate is always taken as a promise, and people get angry when promises are broken. I expect to hear about the next patch when they are absolutely sure about when it is going to release (i.e. right before they release it).
    TJ_HookerLosgornfamousringolakrids
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I'm really surprised they waited this long to quick fix the APR bug.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @TrentOster Unifying patch release dates, when the patch APPROVAL process time differs greatly depending on the platform, doesn't make sense. Am I'm missing the benefit of implementing an unnecessary rate limiting step?
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2013
    agris said:

@TrentOster Unifying patch release dates, when the patch APPROVAL process time differs greatly depending on the platform, doesn't make sense. Am I'm missing the benefit of implementing an unnecessary rate limiting step?

To keep all platforms on the same version for multiplayer support.
    agristoanwrathfamousringo
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Ok, that's a good one.

Dammit!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    WanderonFlashburnAnton
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Bhaaldog said:

agris said:

I have it on good authority that @TrentOster has the finest Dwarven Gamesmiths in all of Faerun working on Baldur's Gate and additional patches to forge the finest RPG of this decade!
    You forgot to finish the sentence - "to forge the finest RPG of this decade", and the last decade.

Fixed it. :)
    ChildofBhaal599
    @Kirkor

With as much money as they are spending on it. If it isn't the greatest RPG ever it will definitely be the greatest disappointment of all time.
    DecrepitDragon
  • TheBlackThroneTheBlackThrone Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    moopy said:

@Kirkor
    With as much money as they are spending on it. If it isn't the greatest RPG ever it will definitely be the greatest disappointment of all time.

It sounds like a lot, but in this context it's really not. To make a game that would rival the Baldur's Gate saga in any way, you need a lot more than 4 million.

If the expectations include a substantial amount of voice acting or any elaborate cinematics, you'd have to think more along the lines of 40m (or 80+, depending on the devs' ambitions). Even without those, they're still working with a very constrained budget.

It could turn out great (and I hope that will be the case), but expecting it to be "the greatest RPG ever" seems a bit too optimistic. It's like shopping for a new car with a budget of $20k and expecting to drive home in a Ferrari.
    edited February 2013
    @TheBlackThrone

That all being said, I agree with you and I'm not depending on it being great.

I didn't kick start it, and I won't be buying it until after it is out and I've seen reviews.

I've gotten burned on preorders that promised the world and delivered crap waaaaay too many times so that I never preorder a game anymore.

Though I think 4 million is a lot, if they were too focus on the correct things, that is not voice acting and elaborate cinematics. For example: FF6 is still a gazillion times better than FF13.
    griever0483Kirkor
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013

moopy said:

@Kirkor

It sounds like a lot, but in this context it's really not. To make a game that would rival the Baldur's Gate saga in any way, you need a lot more than 4 million.

If the expectations include a substantial amount of voice acting or any elaborate cinematics, you'd have to think more along the lines of 40m (or 80+, depending on the devs' ambitions). Even without those, they're still working with a very constrained budget.

It could turn out great (and I hope that will be the case), but expecting it to be "the greatest RPG ever" seems a bit too optimistic. It's like shopping for a new car with a budget of $20k and expecting to drive home in a Ferrari.
    I think Obsidian have flat out said they will not be doing full voice acting. Not sure what their plans for cinematics are, but seeing as how it's a 2D, isometric, "old-school" RPG, I can't see them going all out on flashy cinematics.

Also, people aren't realizing that $4 million is not their full budget for this game. It's just the money to get the game started, that I think would normally be provided by a publisher. The game will cost much more money, which will be recouped through sales. I imagine they will be making more money per sale than normal, seeing as how there's no seperate publisher taking a cut.

Edit: Turns out I was wrong about what I wrote in the second paragraph, about $4 mil just being for startup, with their total budget being larger. With that in mind, I guess you can take the rest of my post with a grain of salt.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    @TJ_Hooker

Speaking of that. I'm so glad things like kickstarter are making it possble to leave the publishers out of the loop.

I dream of a world where this model takes over so much that publishers go bankrupt and cease to exist.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    You dream of a world where Beamdog goes bankrupt and ceases to exist? <_<
    VittordeVitto
  • TheBlackThroneTheBlackThrone Member Posts: 42
    TJ_Hooker said:

Also, people aren't realizing that $4 million is not their full budget for this game. It's just the money to get the game started, that I think would normally be provided by a publisher. The game will cost much more money, which will be recouped through sales.

{{Citation needed}}
    TJ_HookerAristillius
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013

TJ_Hooker said:

Also, people aren't realizing that $4 million is not their full budget for this game. It's just the money to get the game started, that I think would normally be provided by a publisher. The game will cost much more money, which will be recouped through sales.

{{Citation needed}}
    Yup looks I was wrong. I could have sworn I read something like that during the Kickstarter phase, but after some googling trying to find where I read that, I found this:

Actually, it doesn't matter if it's a flop, although I don't believe that it will be. But the nice thing about Kickstarter is that people have already paid for the title. So anything else that happens after that is great, but we know what our budget is, and practically speaking, that's all we're really focused on: "We're going to make a game for this amount of money."

We already have the backer support. They've already paid for it. That's our end destination. If it ends up getting released and selling a lot of copies, great. If it sells enough where we can support future installments, we'll absolutely do that. If it doesn't make much of a profit, and we did want to do another installment, we'd probably take it back to Kickstarter.

Taken from: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182612/from_torment_to_eternity_chris_.php?page=3

So it looks like $4 million is indeed their budget, and everything from future sales is pure profit.
    TheBlackThrone
  • Then let's hope they did a very good job of planning that budget and have some extra capital to pay people if things get over-budget/behind schedule.
    TheBlackThrone