Skip to content

Durlag Tower Traps

fireside0244fireside0244 Member Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Not An Issue
Hello. I recently made a forum to ask for help and they thought I should create a post here too. In Durlag's Tower I ran into several interesting problems. The first being that there was several traps where I disarmed them AND got a Trap Disarm text but, it was still there and it sprung on Imoen my thief.

Then the traps right before the Level 3 Wardstone in Durlag's Tower (Level 2 Basement) can't be disarmed even with a mastery thief potion. I can't simply run them over with my tank because it causes instant death.

Until this issue gets resolved I am stuck and can't really play Baldur's Gate. Please look into it. Thank you.
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013
    @fireside0244 I think you might want to read the responses to you other thread a little more closely. A Potion of Mastery Thievery does not affect your ability to find/disarm traps (as I mentioned twice in the other thread).

Also, if you're try to disarm a trap, and you get the "trap disarmed" message, and then you end up setting off a trap when you move forward, it's possible that there's just another trap there.
  • fireside0244fireside0244 Member Posts: 6
    I understood what was said about the potion. I was talking about when I see and it and try to disarm it. There was no other traps infront of it. I checked. I had Branwen my Cleric with Detect Traps on in addition to Imoen my Thief. I did not miss any traps.

I understood what was said about the potion. I was talking about when I see and it and try to disarm it.

I'm not sure that you do.
    TJ_Hooker said:

A Potion of Mastery Thievery does not affect your ability to find/disarm traps

When you attempt to disarm a trap by clicking on the thief skill button (the one that looks like a little mask) and then clicking on the trap, this is still governed by your "find traps" skill, which is not increased by potions of master thievery. I honestly don't know how I can make this clearer.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    @TJ_Hooker But he's apparently getting a "trap disarmed" message, indicating that regardless of whether he's using the correct potion, the trap is being successfully disarmed and still triggering.

Which would imply that there's something amiss. Unless the OP is misreading the message "Trap NOT disarmed", which I do all the time, or (perhaps due to using the wrong potion) is failing to detect another more complex trap nearby which is triggering, which is unlikely if the Detect Traps spell is in use.
    edited February 2013
    Madhax said:

@TJ_Hooker But he's apparently getting a "trap disarmed" message, indicating that regardless of whether he's using the correct potion, the trap is being successfully disarmed and still triggering.

Which would imply that there's something amiss. Unless the OP is misreading the message "Trap NOT disarmed", which I do all the time, or (perhaps due to using the wrong potion) is failing to detect another more complex trap nearby which is triggering, which is unlikely if the Detect Traps spell is in use.

@Madhax yeah I realized that. I was just responding specifically to the second paragraph of the OP's post. If things are actually happening as the OP describes (i.e. springing a trap after it says it's disarmed) then that definately sounds like a bug. But the fact that it's taken me 4 posts so far to try and explain that a PoMT doesn't have anything to do with traps makes me think this could just be a problem with the OP mis-reading or misunderstanding something in-game, rather than an actual bug.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    In that case, a screenshot of the offending incident would be pretty helpful.
    I havn't misread at all. How would I get a screen shot for you on this forum? I know one particular trap that would get the evidence.. the trap at the far bottom right of the Torture Room in Durlag's
    edited February 2013

I havn't misread at all. How would I get a screen shot for you on this forum? I know one particular trap that would get the evidence.. the trap at the far bottom right of the Torture Room in Durlag's

Press the Print Screen button to take a screenshot. This screenshot should be saved in C:\Users\[You]\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ScrnShot. When posting, you should be able to click "Attach a file" (located at the bottom right left of the box you type in). Simply attach the screen shot.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    There you go. In this one I was not able to get it produce the same effects but, I will show you another trap that I stepped on using my main character and it was still active. Then one of the other traps kept firing at Imoen THROUGH A WALL. The last image is a bugged chest at Kiel's Death Bed. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that Imoen still had her Detect Traps on. Now I can't pick the chest because it thinks it's a trap
    edited February 2013
    Ok Pic # 1:
    Some traps remain active even after tripping them. You must actually disarm them with a thief to get rid of them. This was mentioned in your other thread. With regards to it hitting you through a wall, that's just because the trap is shooting arrows, so there is some delay for the arrows to get to you. During this delay you can move to the next room, so it seems like you're being shot through a wall. The same thing can happen when you fire a projectile or spell at a moving target. I would consider this more of an engine limitation than a bug.

Pic # 2:
    See above about some traps remaining active.

Pic # 3
    That chest actually is trapped. I've had something like this happen to me in the past, where the red highlight that indicates a trap disappears. I think it happens when you detect a trap, save, and then reload. The trap is still considered "detected", meaning that when you try and use the thief skill on the chest, it will attempt to disarm the trap, but the red highlighting is gone. If you turn on detect traps again, the red highlighting will come back (but you won't get the "trap detected" message again). So I guess the fact that the red highlight disappears on reload can be considered a bug. Not letting you pick the lock before disarming the trap (if the trap has already been detected) is something that exists in the original BG, but you could make a feature request for an option that would allow you to select whether you wanted to pick the lock or disarm the trap when using the thief skill on a container.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Moved to Not An Issue.