Skip to content

Kagain, Edwin, Shar-teel Query

2»

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    That is simply down to your playstyle. You clearly hop all over them map and don't rest much. It's not good advice on a new player board unless they experience the same problem.

Dorn (con 14) gets much more millage out of that tome.
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Erg said:

It depends how you want to play. If you just want to dual wield, I would do something like

Of the two options I would rather chose the first (i.e. dual wielding over ranged) especially if you have other good ranged attacker in your party, but that's depend on party composition and personal preferences. So choose whatever suits you better.

I would not use her with weapon and shield, because imho she is better as damage dealer than tank.

Thanks Erg, OK, so, I think I have her in decent shape to dual wield still, so thats what I will do, as I still have the Lv 2 save, I can keep that and try her as a different style at a later time.

I've never used her before, but I'm glad I tried her, she seems to be quite versatile, thanks to what you have outlined, cheers :)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I assumed Fiach was going to use Shar-Teel in the role Dorn could also fill - frontline DPS. There was no mention of Dorn being in the party. It looks like an all evil party, and none of the other evil frontline options benefit from the tome (as there is basically just Kagain with 20 con). For the backrow/casters, the drawbacks of low con aren't nearly as bad as for a frontliner. Out of the 3 NPCs mentioned, Shar-Teel is the only one who gains something.
    Kagain benefits. +6 hp per level is better than +5 hp per level. And certainly far far far better than "gets tired marginally less often".
    edited February 2013

I assumed Fiach was going to use Shar-Teel in the role Dorn could also fill - frontline DPS. There was no mention of Dorn being in the party. It looks like an all evil party, and none of the other evil frontline options benefit from the tome (as there is basically just Kagain with 20 con). For the backrow/casters, the drawbacks of low con aren't nearly as bad as for a frontliner. Out of the 3 NPCs mentioned, Shar-Teel is the only one who gains something.

Shar-teel will, in this playthrough, be used to dual wield as per Erg's suggestion's Fighter/Thief. in the next she will be an archer dualed with something else probably, I havent given that any thought yet tbh.

Thanks for the replies :)

EDIT : I am using Dorn on another file, I dont really like him much tbh, He seems to die alot, its also annoying with his portrait being so grey, i have to keep checking if he's alive or dead at any given moment :)

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Fiach said:

Shar-teel will, in this playthrough, be used to dual wield as per Erg's suggestion's Fighter/Thief. in the next she will be an archer dualed with something else probably

Shar-Teel cannot dual to any class other than Thief as you need at least a score of 17 in the primary stat of the class you're dualing to (e.g. you need INT 17+ to dual to mage or WIS 17+ to dual to Cleric or Druid).

There aren't enough tomes to raise her other stats to 17.
    Erg said:

Fiach said:

Shar-teel will, in this playthrough, be used to dual wield as per Erg's suggestion's Fighter/Thief. in the next she will be an archer dualed with something else probably

Shar-Teel cannot dual to any class other than Thief as you need at least a score of 17 in the primary stat of the class you're dualing to (e.g. you need INT 17+ to dual to mage or WIS 17+ to dual to Cleric or Druid).

There aren't enough tomes to raise her other stats to 17.
    While I didnt know that, I mean that she will be predominantly an archer, I guess that now she will be an archer/thief....can a thief backstab with an arrow or is it only a crit from stealth?

edited February 2013
    I think Fiach meant "archer + some other melee weapon", not dual to another class.

Dorn gets WAY stronger on higher levels and is sometimes being accused of being ridicolously overpowered. He has basically the same thing going on as Shar-Teel, stats-wise - insane strength, but modest con (and dex). He does get better if you bring his con up with the tome, and fits nicely in a party where Shar-Teel takes the thief/archer role.
    If his portrait is bothering you, there are alternative ones out. You can just name them DornL.bmp, DornM.bmp, DornS.bmp and throw them in the Portraits folder and they'll be used; no mods or anything neccessary. Just the correct sizes and filenames, same as using custom portraits.

I think Fiach meant "archer + some other melee weapon", not dual to another class.

Dorn gets WAY stronger on higher levels and is sometimes being accused of being ridicolously overpowered. He has basically the same thing going on as Shar-Teel, stats-wise - insane strength, but modest con (and dex). He does get better if you bring his con up with the tome, and fits nicely in a party where Shar-Teel takes the thief/archer role.
    If his portrait is bothering you, there are alternative ones out. You can just name them DornL.bmp, DornM.bmp, DornS.bmp and throw them in the Portraits folder and they'll be used; no mods or anything neccessary. Just the correct sizes and filenames, same as using custom portraits.

Yes I did mean that, i just wasn't as eloquent :)

Thanks for the portrait tip, I had found some of Viconia, so I'll keep an eye out for Dorn :)

Fiach said:

can a thief backstab with an arrow or is it only a crit from stealth?

No, thieves cannot backstab with ranged weapons. Fighter/Thieves can only backstab with melee weapons that a normal thief can use (e.g. you cannot backstab with a Bastard Sword even if a F/T can use it).

@Fiach

Dorn and Shar-Teel are both damage dealers and shouldn't be used as tanks. You can still have both in your party (e.g. Dorn with two-handed sword and Shar-Teel dual wielding or ranged), but you also need a tank. The ideal tank in your party is Kagain.

@KidCarnival
    By the way I'm using for Shar-Teel the portrait you posted here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/232419/#Comment_232419

Thanks for that.
  • TogglebottomTogglebottom Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2013
    I suggest you keep it simple your first playthrough and save the dual-classing for later. A fighter Shar-teel with

Long Swords ++
    Two Weapon Style +++

wielding two magic long swords will do massive amounts of damage. It really is something to behold. As mentioned before, just make sure she's not taking hits.
    @Togglebottom, Thanks for that Togglebottom, I was afraid I would have a penalty with two longswords, cheers :)

@Erg thanks for that advice and especially that link, there are great portraits there, I'll use that Shar-teel now, its great, really liked the drow priestess on that page too, going to have to do something with that!
    The weapon profs are all seperate. Just because she is proficient with two weapons, it doesn't mean it have to be the weapons she is also proficient with, in that combination. If you decide to give her a pip in whatever, let's say maces, she could also dual wield maces. Daggers and long swords aren't bad, there are pretty good ones of both available and they can make interesting combinations, i.e. long sword with cold damage + dagger with poison (there are more good swords and daggers, but as this is spoiler-free, I leave it to you to find them).

I have some half orc/orc portraits that I posted in some of the portrait topics. Maybe one of them works better for Dorn. You need 3 versions of a portrait, all bmp, in the sizes L (the one the link goes to, just save it as bmp), M (169x266 pixels), S (54x84 pixels):

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/orc2_zps52bded1d.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/orc_zps80a3a99d.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/mhorcL_zpsd099450b.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/halforc4_zps5910feb6.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/halforc3_zps743c7f28.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/halforc2_zps1a586bcb.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/halforc1_zpsf7edcd15.png
    edited February 2013
    Fiach said:

really liked the drow priestess on that page too, going to have to do something with that!

If you're looking for a Viconia's portrait, you can also check this one:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14472/original-artwork-viconia

Cropped and resized version here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/246629/#Comment_246629
    Thanks very much guys, crikey vicky looks good there!

I really liked that first dorn ALOT! cheers guys :)
    There are many really good portraits, and some people have dropbox accounts set up where they are sorted by race/gender/class (at least in some cases).

In case you looking for more alternative pics, this is a pretty extensive collection: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gsn24bgwwu0gyqw/bV-5phrjwu

If you want Dorn to use a diffrent portrait and don't want to fiddle with files, just set CHARNAME portrait to Dorn's picture when you first meet him. He will then be alocated the second choice portrait (blondish human in plate). You can then switch your portrait back.
    Thanks for the dropbox link KidCarnival, I'm going to have a lotta fun looking through those :)

@Fardragon, thanks for the tip, thats handy to know, cheers :)