-BG1-
    Usually went with the Canon Party:
    Me (Usually a Fighter or Ranger kit)
    Imoen
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Jaheira
    Khalid

Lineup sometimes get swapped for Edwin, Kivan, Xan, or Coran because I love them too =D

-BG2-
    Good:
    Me (Kensai/Mage)
    Imoen
    Minsc
    Aerie
    Jaheira (Romanced)
    Keldorn

Evil or Neutral:
    Me (Ranger/Cleric)
    Viconia (Romanced)
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Edwin
    Mazzy
  • ArndasArndas Member Posts: 42
    Minsc, Dynaheir, Coran, Kivan, Branwen, (I am a Ranger).

Yes, three Rangers. Kivan is great with the bow and Misnc is not bad at tanking with a good 2-Handed sword. Coran is often overlooked in my opinion. With 20 Dex. and +3 proficiency with bows, he almost never misses with a bow. He must roll 1-3 (I think) to miss and 4-20 to hit. Pretty good in my opinion. Plus, he doubles as a Thief.
  • RhukRhuk Member Posts: 13
    Aerie, Valygar, Keldorn, Mazzy, Jan Jansen and my druid

• FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    @Yemeth Yeslick love incoming! He's a staple for me in BG1 and now in BG2 thanks to the recent mod available at Spellhold Studios :)

BG1:
    PC Fighter/Thief
    Xan
    Yeslick
    Skie
    Kivan
    Quayle

BG2:
    PC Fighter7->Assassin
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Haer'Dalis
    Nalia

BG2 modded:
    PC Shapeshifter
    Xan
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Faren/Yoshimo
    Yeslick
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2012
    The first time I played the game I went (without knowing it) with the canon party:
    PC (Paladin)
    Minsc
    Imoen
    Dynaheir
    Khalid
    Jaheira

Now I'm replaying the game with Tutu (warming up for the EE) and I'm planning to use:
    PC (Fighter)
    Yeslick
    Imoen (dual class to mage)
    Coran
    Kivan
    Jaheira

---

In BG2 I tend to mix the party a lot everytime I need to do a NPC-specific sidequest. But I usually use the following:
    PC
    Minsc (Sarevok in ToB)
    Imoen
    Aerie
    Jaheira
    Keldorn
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Vurkruv (Half-Orc Barbarian)
    Toc (Half-Orc Barbarian)
    GooGoo (Half-Orc Barbarian)
    Mr Clean (Half-Orc Barbarian)
    Bogart (Half-Orc Barbarian)
    Imoen (dead but still in party)
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2012
    Me (Ranger, focus on bow), Viconia, Khalid, Minsc, Edwin, Imoen
    Post edited by purebredcorn on
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 481
    BG1

Me
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Xzar
    Montaron

BG2 Shadow of Ahm

Me
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Yoshimo
    Minsc
    Edwin

BG 2 Throne of Bhaal

Me
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Sarevok
    Minsc
    Edwin
  • MaranMaran Member Posts: 42
    Mine:
    Maran Delrin (me), Elven Mage (General, no Special for me, unless it was Evocation :D...boomstick!)
    Imoen (Oddly a GOOD thief if you augment her with good items)
    Sarevok (Man is a BEAST)
    Aerie (Weak, but that multi cleric/mage is dead useful)
    Keldorn (I play Good parties, so I need a Paladin, and Inquisitors rock)
    Either: Edwin (if I am not a Wizard)
    Either: Valygar (A lot of people underestimated him. Plus it was easy to exploit a bug about the White Dragon Scale Armor)
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2012
    Well, perfect would suggest that you'd make them (almost) all yourself. That would be:

1. Paladin
    2. Fighter--> dualed to Mage
    3. Fighter--> dualed to Cleric
    4. Fighter--> dualed to Thief
    5. Ranger/Cleric Multiclass
    6. Sorcerer or Bard or Edwin

For class kits, take whatever you like :)

Had something similar in Icewind Dale, what a walk in the park :D
    Although Ranger/Cleric glitch didn't work there.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited July 2012
    For a perfect party for both BG1 + 2, I have to make a full custom group in Multiplayer:

1) Human TN Berzerker / Druid - needs 15 Str, 15 dex, 18 con, 3 int, 17 Wis, 17 Cha min stats plus bracers of dexterity and a strength girdle. Dual to Druid after 9 Berzerker levels. Specialized in TWF Scimitars + Clubs. (Jaheira takes too long to level up, multiclass druids are too slow).

2) Human Kensai / Mage - 18 str, 18 dex, 18 con, 17 int min stats, dual to mage at 13 Kensai - TWF Bastard Swords + Katanas

3) Elf Archer - 18 str, 19 dex, 17 Con needed - Longbows ofc.

4) Human Swashbuckler / Mage - 18 str, 18 dex, 16 con, 17 int needed, dual to mage at level 10. Katanas would be nice, but theres never enough for both the Kensai and Swashbuckler, so I pick Longswords and Shortswords.

5) Gnome Cleric / Illusionist - 18 dex, 16 con, 19 int, 17 wis needed - Awesome healer + caster all in one while everyone else is getting their dual classes done. Backline slinger.

6) Elf Assassin - 18 str, 19 dex, 16 con. Longswords, Quarterstaffs, Shortbow, Single Weapon Style, 2H Weapon style - Staff of Striking, Staff of the Ram, and any decent Longsword for the rest of the game (there should be plenty of longswords for both the Assassin + Swashbuckler). This guy is here for UAI + Assassination HLAs .... oh my, any weapon with a 7x backstab multiplier!

But for BG1 alone ... hmmm, I'll have to think about that.

The Kensai and Swashbuckler own everything with melfs meteors / energy blades / tensers trasnformation / sword spider polymorph.
  • raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    Me (thief/fighter)
    Keldorn
    Minsc
    Mazzy
    Aerie
    Imoen
    Used this party whenever possible.
    2 melee / 2 range / 2 mages

And from Bg1
    Me(thief/fighter)
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Dynaheir
    Khalid

Pretty much, i don't like changing the party members, only did that if i had too (game forced me)

• LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    Damn people understimate Xzar,Coran and Sharteel.
    Xzar can be dualed to cleric (give him 1 tome of wisdom and he is exellent healer from experience).
    Sharteel is the best fighter in the game if you give her some decent items- her TAC0 is much better then Kagains for example).
    Coran is ingame Cheater NPC as he has 20 dex and +3 in bows- natural born archer.
    I remember i read somewhere Edwin is the best mage in the game(better then your own CHARNAME)- dont remember why something with item or stats.
    Monty is plain awesome thief if you keep him to the last - also awesome dialoge with all the backstabbing talk.
    And well Kagain-20 cons. auto regeneration he is the "main tank" that takes all the damage why Shar-teel kickes everybody ass'es around her with haste and two handed sword+3.

All other combinations seem boring to me like:Jaheira,Khalid,Minsc Dynaheir. << everybody chooses them and the game "WANTS" you to choose them.
    Skie is a bitch, Eldoth SUCKS, Garrick low consitution(only bonus is his lore),Alora Bad thiefing skills,Kivan is wack compared to Coran.
    That leaves only Viconia,Tiax(which is lame but his NPC talk style is cool),Yeslick(good cleric for good aligned party), or Brawnen(Neutral aligned).
    I personally saw great fun with playing Xzar as mage and then changing him to Cleric using the tome of wisdom.
  • jones0901jones0901 Member Posts: 51
    luluscado said:

Baldurs gate 1
    Me (thief, half elf)
    Imoen
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Khalid
    Jaheira

Baldurs gate 2
    Me (thief, half elf)
    Minsc
    Aerie
    Anomen
    Viconia(until Imoen comes back)
    Keldorn (until he goes back to his wife then Valygar, then Sarevok)

I always go with the characters i like instead of trying to balance out my party

This is my usual party, and I think it is fairly common, but there is a problem I need help with- without playing pc thief, how do you fill a thief here when you dual imoen?
    Also, how would you integrate it with the new characters?
  • limlitelimlite Member Posts: 12
    BG1
    Ibn-Al Zafir - Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Thief/Mage(misses out top end stuff in ToB) - Longbow/THSword
    Imoen - dualed to mage on lvl6 - SBow, SSword
    Khalid - Longsword/Warhammer
    Jaheira - Staff
    Minsc - Flail/Axe
    Dynaheir - Sling

BG2
    Ibn-Al Zafir - Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Thief/Mage(misses out top end stuff in ToB) - Longbow/Halberd/THSword
    Imoen - SBow, SSword
    Jaheira - Staff/Scimitar
    Minsc - Flail/Axe
    Keldorn - swap with whatever and then Sarevok in ToB(he needs to get back to his wife anyway) - whatever is best suited for swaped in NPC or ... Carsomyr after (i forget the name) super water sucking halberd is found for PC
    Anomen - Warhammer/Mace
  • GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    Me (with tome 20 CON dwarf fighter :)
    Kagain
    Shar-Teel
    Edwin
    Imoen
    Viconia

T formation :D
    -donno if it s perfect but I liked it pretty much (altho I finished BG just 3 times so didn t try all the characters)
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    edited August 2012
    Went canon for BG1, never modded the game or got ToSC. In BG2, female me (sorcerer or bard, usually), Minsc, Anomen, Yoshimo/Imoen, Jaheira, sixth person depends on quest being pursued, but I only take 5 into battle with Irenicus because I'll be adding Sarevok in ToB. ps. It is fantastic fun to take Haer'Dalis through BG2 and ToB and stock him up on epic rogue spike traps. They make killing liches and Melisande laughably easy.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    ps. It is fantastic fun to take Haer'Dalis through BG2 and ToB and stock him up on epic rogue spike traps. They make killing liches and Melisande laughably easy.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Kagain, Kivan, Edwin, Viconia, Safana. lolz
  • giosantigiosanti Member Posts: 20
    Imoen as early game thief, dualled to illusionist or conjurer at level 2-6, depending on party
    Kivan as archer and possible temporary tank
    Sharteel as temporary tank, later dualled to thief at level 6, after getting ** in bows
    Edwin as mage
    Coran as late addition archer and thief
    Yeslick as late addition tank and priest

I'm aware that the party has 6 NPC's! If the PC plays Fighter/Cleric then replace Yeslick; if the PC plays Fighter/Thief then replace Sharteel; if the PC plays Fighter/Illusionist then replace Edwin. I think those three party combos are the best for vanilla BG1. I've never played Tutu so I dunno about that.

Alternative options:
    Ajantis, replacing one of the mages (Edwin, or Sharteel while cancelling Imoen's dualclass)
    Xzar & Montaron, replacing mages and thieves (Sharteel & Edwin or Imoen & Sharteel or Imoen & Edwin)
    Kagain & Quayle, strange combination, replacing Yeslick and a mage (Edwin, or Sharteel while cancelling Imoen's dualclass)

As for Jaheira & Khalid and Minsc & Dynaheir, I don't like splitting up pairs. And as couples, they're inferior in a few ways.

Garrick isn't good enough at any one thing
    Safana isn't as good as Imoen, or Sharteel dualclassed
    Xan isn't as good as Edwin, or Imoen dualclassed
    Branwen, Viconia, and Faldorn are pure priests, which I think is a waste
    Eldoth & Skie as a duo are probably the worst NPC choice you can make
    Alora is redundant if you take Coran
    Tiax's thief skills are redundant if you take Coran; otherwise see Branwen/Viconia/Faldorn
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I'm not sure I have one yet, (I play the game solo in multiplayer mode most of the time so that I can create my own party) but here is one that I prefer:

1. Paladin (2h or 1h + shield)
    2. Fighter (2h in BG1, dual wield in BG2)
    3. Fighter/Cleric
    4. Cleric
    5. Mage
    6. Fighter/Thief (Longbow)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Well, conventional wisdom tends to prefer balanced parties, so I had Jaheira and Shar-Teel as my front-line fighters, Imoen for thieving/ranged attacks, Viconia as the party healer and Edwin and my Bhaalspawn as my magic-users. As a bonus, most of those characters were available again in BG2, though I had to use Yoshimo instead of Imoen for a while, and had Korgan replace Shar-Teel as Fighter #2 (at least until Sarevok was available).
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Me (Fighter)
    Minsc (Ranger/2HS)
    Viconia (Cleric/Sling)
    Dynaheir (Wizard)
    Imoen (Thief/Archer)
    Kivan of Shilmista (Archer)

I give my archers Boots and potions of speed and Dynaheir's favorite spell has always been haste... surprisingly most battles leave 1/2 the opposition dead before they've met my PC and Minsc heh.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Favourite Party

Me
    Minsc
    Xan
    Tiax
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Me (fighter or paladin)
    Branwen
    Ajantis
    Imoen
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    BG1: Protagonist, Minsc, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Dynaheir
    BG2: Protagonist, Minsc, Imoen, Jaheira, Aerie, Valygar
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    YOU GUYS ALL FORGOT ABOUT NOOBER! D:
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    These were my final groups for BG1:
    PC - half-elf Conjurer
    Kivan
    Coran
    Garrick
    Safana
    Yeslick
    or
    PC - half-elf Druid
    Kaigan
    Coran
    Imoen, dual-classed to Conjurer
    Kivan
    Garrick

For BG2:
    PC - half-elf Conjurer
    Viconia
    Anomen
    Jan-Jansen -> Imoen
    Valygar -> Sarevok
    Jaheira
    or
    PC - half-elf Druid
    Anomen
    Haer-Dalis
    Korgan
    Edwin
    Jan-Jansen
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Me (fighter/mage)
    Aerie ( cleric/mage)
    imoen (thief/mage)
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Fenghoang said:

-BG1-
    Usually went with the Canon Party:
    Me (Usually a Fighter or Ranger kit)
    Imoen
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Jaheira
    Khalid

Same here. After BG2 was released I had a hard time deviating from this, since it wouldn't make much sense for you to end up in prison with anyone else. I also always play non-evil chars, so this composition works well.