Skip to content

Guy with the Cool Bastard Sword (Merchant Leage guy ) and the fellow with tthe hunting lodge is bugd

BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
I rushed to get to Baldurs Gate city - there is the one fellow witht the Bastard Sword in front of his hunting lodge who has hatred for some shadow druids... I ignored him and did NOT at all talk to him... I did talk favorably to the shadow druid who begins a dialogue with you at the bridge as I wanted to get to the Crazy pure Druid joinable character... Fanglorn or however you spell it... I did NOT go to the seven suns or to the Merchant League house in Baldurs gate city - I skipped that and just killed hte iron throne guys then went and did all the requisite things up to fighting Saverock at the Party and where he teleport flees out... right so basically almost done with the game- I go back thinking I want that Bastard sword - I go find the Guy at his hunting lodge and he says - some stupid dialogue that I assume is meant for him to be said at the Merchant league- LIke" Did you kill those guys?" "Sorry no time to talk"/ Yess I did they deserved it/ no i was framed " are the dialogues choices.

he does NOT ask me to help him fight the shadow druids - the druids never show up... thus I can not get my Sword... I pickpocket him down to "target has no items" and the sword would not come up... coincidentally tried if it was on his person easily killed him and there it was my bastard sword... but of course reloaded as I wanted to do it in a happy and hippie druid killing manner... anyhow the Merchant league house is LOCKED - I get message "door is unable to be picked or magically opened" so basically I am out of at least 2 fun quests in the game... is there anyway to fix this...? I can send a saved game if you want to see his stupid buggy conversation in front of the hunting lodge... also note I never used any sort of add on or cheat in these games yet (i did years back withthe old one though just mostly to get Tiax to join me as his ego must be served)

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It is intended behaviour that the Merchant League house is permanently locked unless you earlier saved Aldeth (the Merchant League guy outside the hunting lodge) from Seniyad (the leader of the druids who attack him).

The dialogue you quote about "Did you kill those guys?" etc. is actually a reference to the Iron Throne leaders - it's meant to appear after you've saved Aldeth in the forest, and after you've also done his consequent quest inside the Merchant League building, if you later re-visit the Merchant League building during Chapter 7. You're right that it must be a bug to get this dialogue if you don't meet him in the forest until chapter 7. What ought to happen at that point is actually the same as if you'd spoken to Aldeth when you first saw him in chapter 4, i.e. you choose sides between Aldeth and the druids and then fight the other side (and if you save Aldeth, then that should unlock the Merchant League building and enable the quest inside it to earn his sword as the reward, or if you don't save Aldeth then you can loot the sword from his corpse, so either way you get the sword).

BTW, Seniyad and his crew aren't shadow druids, they're regular druids, and if you take their side against Aldeth then afterwards Seniyad will actually warn you about the shadow druid extremists deeper in the forest. (Seniyad is actually the archdruid of Jaheira's own sect of the druids, although that doesn't prevent Jaheira fighting him if you side with Aldeth instead - as we again see when we meet the Harpers in BG2, Jaheira is willing to fight against her own leaders when she is convinced that they're wrong - even though Jaheira is notionally True Neutral like every druid under 2e rules, her behaviour throughout the series is much more like Chaotic Good.)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm kind of curious, if you were planning on doing the quest all along, why not just do it when you're in Cloakwood (I think that's where it is) the first time around?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I've checked Aldeth with NI. It looks like there are several chapter based checks in his dialogue. Currently he will not give you the druid quest anymore if you are in Chapter 5 or later.

I think this could be fixed in two ways:

1) using something different than the chapter to select the appropriate dialogue
    2) make him disappear entirely from the woods if you are in chapter 5 or later

depending on whether you are supposed to get the druid quest also in chapter 5+ (#1) or not (#2).
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    I was in a rush not to get any experience- I wanted to get to the Dwarf at 3/2 I think that was the level I reached him at... but I suppose that is a bit powergameish... at the same time I hate it when the characters are already at level 6 or so when I find them and they have low hitpoints and then get fragged with one or two hits from a tough werewolf or greater wyvern. I wish there was an option to play at regular 'middle slider' difficulty and set all the character hitpoints to the max level and be able to redo there weapon points....
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    Beowulf said:

I wish there was an option to play at regular 'middle slider' difficulty and set all the character hitpoints to the max level and be able to redo there weapon points....

There is actually an option to do that. Most people will call it EEKeeper. I personally prefer to call it NearInfinity.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Erg said:
    I am open to a new name, just so you know :).