Skip to content

BG1NPC testing application thread

LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
Hi everyone!

We've got a working beta of BG1NPC for BG:EE, but we need a bunch of people to test it. I need both technically competent and "noob" players, but you need to be able to use the CLUA Console and be confident enough with it to mess with variables if instructed.

You need to have an excellent grasp of English and be able to clearly state any issues in such a way that it is easy to replicate the actions that led to the bug.

If you just want an early copy of BG1NPC, please do not post. This is a huge mod and it needs serious testing, so you need to be serious about doing so!

I will also need testers who speak French and Spanish, so if you are able to do that, please mention it.

If you are interested, please post here with a quick blurb about your testing experience/technical competency (remembering we need all types!). Any previous testing experience a plus. I'll be contacting people soon.

Thanks!

Comments

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    I can do some testing.
    My English is good and I would say I'm technically competent (studying Computer Science).
    I never used tools like DLTCEP & NI before BGEE, but I have looked around a bit in them since the BGEE release.
    As for testing experience, I haven't beta tested any BG mods before, but I have participated in beta testing other games.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I would like to participate. In college I got great (not excellent, I must confess) scores in English classes, and at the moment, I am learning the scripting process for building an NPC mod as we speak, and I'm learning it pretty quickly. I have plenty of free time as I only work part time, and I am also quite flexible to play in which ever manner you wish me to. Lastly, I am not new to these boards and am very active. If I were to find anything, you would probably hear from me almost immediately.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Just so everyone is aware, testing won't actually occur here, it'll occur in a private forum on the Gibberlings 3 devoted solely to testing the BG:EE version. :)

Thanks @Freche and @Xavioria! I'll get in touch when it's ready.
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    edited February 2013
    I would love to test this. I don't use shadowkeeper or anything, but I know the CLUA console and the game (as well as the english language) fairly well. I am trying to keep up with my college classes right now, but can always make time for Baldur's gate.

Edit: My only real testing experience is for a website I admin, so no beta testing for games, but I would love to get involved for the first time. I know computer basics, but honestly don't know much about how infinity works.
    Post edited by Wakukee on
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    I'm up for the task, I'll have evenings CET + 4 and on more or less every day.

I've messed with close to everything bg mod related, NI, CLUA, SK, WEIDU - allthough only on a instructed basis.
    usually when I wanted certain mods to work, or my game broke due to intensive modding.

I haven't tested much when it comes to games, however I'd gladly report whatever you(I) think out of the ordinary, on a daily basis

Fill me in :)
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I've never tested anything before, but I'd love to help out with this! (BG1NPC was my favourite mod for BG and I've been hoping it would appear for BG:EE soon!)

I can't offer much in the way of technical competency, although I'm probably alright messing with CLUA under instruction. My grasp of English, however, is extremely good.
  • aquilaeaquilae Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    Hi there.

Happy to test. I'm actually in the software industry, so I'm what you'd probably call competent, English skills are fine as well. Been playing BG for since original release and I'm CLUA competent too. Tested mods in the past, and plenty of MMOs in beta.

Happy to test, quite keen actually, hit me up!

Edit: speelin'
    Post edited by aquilae on
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2013
    I'm willing to help as well, if only for the english version. I've used CLUAConsole before and my English skills are good.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    edited February 2013
    I too would be delighted to help. I was one of the original proofreaders, working mainly with Domi's and Kulyok's material (I used the alias Princeps at the time). It would be nice to revisit the old hunting grounds in any capacity, and I recognize a Global when I see one.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    I would be honored to help!

I am quite familiar with the CLUAConsole: I've been playing this game on and off for years. However, as above, I have only tinkered with it when instructed. I did some beta testing for a friend of mine who makes Flash Games, and helped another with his creation of a Gary's Mod like game he's working on. If it was not obvious, English is my first language, so that won't be a large problem (I'm also excellent at finding grammar flaws, if I see any :P)

If you wish to speak to me, I would not mind chatting on TS, so I can report things properly. I've a good deal of free time between studies. I played the original NPC mod numerous times, and would love to help find problems in this lovely new version.

Whomever is chosen to help, I wish you all the best of luck! May your swords never dull ^_^
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    I would be happy to help.

Im quite comfortable with the CLUAConsole, my background is in computer science and I have development experience in Java, ive also done some simple scripting in Lua before. English is my first language and I write technical reports aimed at a non-technical audience as part of my day job.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    I enjoyed this mod with BGT, and I'd be delighted to be of assistance with testing. My English skills are on par with those of a technical writer.

I'm quite familiar with the console, and I'm learning modding tech in general, for the purpose of my own (eventual) mods.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    I'd be willing to help. I'm very familiar with the CLUA console and speak French.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I could help you out as much as I can.
    I don't want to spend all my free time on it, but I can do some bug-search for you. I am actually pretty good at breaking things :)

I can speak polish (yeah, I know you don't need this language for anything, but oh well...)

As for the CLUAConsole - I think it won't be a problem for me.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    edited February 2013
    So, is it wrong (and a tad bit pathetic maybe) that I now have 55 (!!) CHARNAMES of various races, ethnicity, and classes impatiantly waiting outside Wintrop's inn in Candlekeep to begin their adventure..? Can't let them leave the safe walls of the Keep before the NPC project mod is installed!

*Edit* SoSorryPostedInTheWrongThreadPleaseDon'tBeOffended!
  • CalvinandhobbesCalvinandhobbes Member Posts: 14
    I'm an English major, so I deal with writing on a regular basis--I'd be happy to help if you need anyone else. I've messed around with the CLUAConsole a bit--I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I can follow directions easily enough.
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    edited February 2013
    I would love to do some testing for you guys, the NPC Project is one of the mods that I just simply cannot do without, and is among only a select few mods that "complete" the BG experience for me.

My first beta test was with Diablo 2 way back in the day. I also look forward to testing a possible Linux version in the future if the Linux gods choose to inspire the NPC Project team in making that a reality :)
    Post edited by joshykins on
  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    I would be interested in testing! ;)
  • dCLCpdCLCp Member Posts: 7
    I would be interested in testing this mod. My experience in testing software is not formal. However I did come by a copy of WIndows 7 while it was still in beta.
  • LasnienLasnien Member Posts: 1
    I'd love to be considered for testing. I'm not terribly active on the forum (or at all, really) but I could be convinced for something like this. ;)

I've been involved in game testing at every stage from alpha to open beta in MMO space, and I've been playing modded IE games for probably 7 years now. Towards the end of that phase, I took to just opening up the .d or .tra files and just reading from there rather than making myself play through BG2 for the umpteenth time. I wouldn't call myself proficient with the console, but I can certainly work through it with prompting (and will probably go refresh myself on the usual commands after I finish up here).
  • KoraxKorax Member Posts: 20
    I have a beginner level of English, but I can help to test the mod in Spanish because it's my first language. I also have experience as a programmer in software localization, due to my job.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @Kaeloree

I would love to test this if you still need beta testers, I'm not a huge comp sci guy but English is my first language and I usually spend a lot of time thinking about the things I'm using / analyzing. I will report bugs if I find them.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    @Kaeloree if you need one more, sign me up. Projects like these can truly make the game.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited February 2013
    @kaeloree if you still need any beta testers, i'd love to help. My degree of knowledge is mostly self taught as i'm intrested in finding errors/problems. I mainly troubleshoot hardware, but i do some software as well. I also do a job where i find bugs/errors, and i'm pretty dogged and determinded.

it might be to the point where it's annoying pointing out a bunch of small errors though, so up to you my friend. Also, i only speak english, so no go there.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    @Kaeloree Are you still taking volunteers? If not I'll close the thread to avoid you being flooded by offers.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    Yep, keep it open please. :)

Thanks everyone! Keep it coming. I especially need some more French and Spanish speakers, that would be awesome.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    @Kaeloree What with polish? Do you need/have someone for polish support?
    @Etamin As I think I've mentioned elsewhere, I won't be including Polish in the initial testing (and possibly release). It will be coming, but just not yet.
  • thauthauthauthau Member Posts: 3
    I speak french, and i can follow testing procedure, if i can help...
  • nuemannueman Member Posts: 1
    I would love to be a part of this.