Skip to content

Ankheg armor AC is either too low, or should prevent stacking with magical rings

AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
edited February 2013 in Not An Issue
- In Vanilla, Ankheg plate had AC1, but couldn't be used in conjonction with magical rings.
- In BGEE, it was deeemed that an ankheg plate wasn't magical (PnP), and so, that it was possible to use it with rings.
- In PnP, actual Ankheg plate is an AC2 breastplate.

Expected Behaviour :
Either
- Ankheg Plate base AC is set to 2 (Instead of 1), as in PnP
Or
- The Ankheg plate is renamed to Ankheg Plate +1 and prevents wearing +1 or better rings, amulets and cloaks
Post edited by mlnevese on

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    There was a long argument on this a while back. Regardless of whether it should or shouldn't be working like this from a balance/P&P perspective, I'm almost positive that Ankheg armour is functioning as intended by the devs (i.e. not a bug).
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    There is already a lenghty discussion about this as a feature request: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3998/ankheg-plate-mail-has-incorrect-ac
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Also, it might be worth noting that they did make a change to the armor that allowed some previously restricted classes to wear it, but did not change the AC or interaction with magical rings. I would say that's a fairly good indicator that it is "working as intended" at this point.
    SirK8 said:

Also, it might be worth noting that they did make a change to the armor that allowed some previously restricted classes to wear it, but did not change the AC or interaction with magical rings. I would say that's a fairly good indicator that it is "working as intended" at this point.

They did change how it interacted with items of protection. In vanilla, you couldn't equip rings/amulets/cloaks of protection while wearing Ankheg armour, in EE you can.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @TJ_Hooker - Yeah, that I'm aware of. To clarify, what I meant was, since the release of BG:EE there was a patch that allowed, I think Druids, to wear the armor, but they did not change the behavior of the armor's interaction with the protection items at that time. It seems to me, if they had intended to "fix" this, it would have been done at that time.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    @Cerevant

This. This so much.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @Cerevant Lol... just lol XD

If it's a balance issue for you, just don't use rings and ammulets with the armor?

I personally refuse to pick up "Use any item" for basically the same reason. I don't see why people can't just ignore a feature they don't like when it's so small...
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Oh, it's just that they changed the fact that the armor could be used with amulets/rings/cloaks due to the fact that in PnP, the armor wasn't considered magical.

If they did so for PnP reasons (and I don't see any other reason for that change, since in Vanilla, it was specifically changed to not stack with rings & amulets in TOTSC), then they should also change the fact that it grants AC1 instead of AC2, for the sake of consistency
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Aranthys said:

Oh, it's just that they changed the fact that the armor could be used with amulets/rings/cloaks due to the fact that in PnP, the armor wasn't considered magical.

If they did so for PnP reasons (and I don't see any other reason for that change, since in Vanilla, it was specifically changed to not stack with rings & amulets in TOTSC), then they should also change the fact that it grants AC1 instead of AC2, for the sake of consistency

I agree with you
    Aranthys said:

AFAIK, the change wasn't due to it not being magical in P&P, it was simply because there's nothing in-game (such as in the item description, or the circumstances leading to you getting the item) that would suggest it's magical.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    It's exactly the same as dragon hide breastplates, they were changed to be considered magical.
    I really hope they will keep the hides magical.

Also note that they also failed to flag most of the new items they created as magical (The +2 magma breastplate available in the undercity isn't flagged as magical)
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    At this point the arguments on this front are split 50-50, and any change will result in screaming from one faction or the other, so I do not expect a change will be made.

The Magma Bulwark +2 is flagged as magical in 1.0.2012.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    Moving the thread to Not an issue as it was a change made by design and not a bug.

Also I have to agree with @Cerevant this is not likely to change so I'm closing the thread.
This discussion has been closed.