Skip to content

Wasteland 2

the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
So I wanted to start a thread Off topic, but I do feel that this is very relevant to the BG community. Has anyone here seen the game play footage of the new Wasteland 2?

It is extremely reminiscent of how BG looks today. Better graphics and a lot more maneuverability, but in the end, it seems to have the same feel as the BG series. It is probably a bit of a leap to speculate about BG3, but I really think that they could do a lot worse than trying to leverage that engine. it is Isometric, top down, but with the ability to revolve around your characters. And there are skills similar to the DnD license. Plus interactivity with the world. There is a whole lot to like about it.

Check it out and let everyone know what you think.
[Deleted User]

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Love it. It's like the original fallouts (a comparison that I think pretty much everyone draws) but in 3D. Looks gorgeous, got sassy text in the descriptions and the first NPC you meet chews you out for being a bunch of fuckups.
    I'm so glad I pledged, can't wait.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    It looked good.
    Teflon
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Looks like I'll have to buy one more game this year. Where can I buy more time to play everything? :)
    Necdilzor
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It'll be a fair blend of both I think, I've heard them say in interviews and such that because the game is text based, it's relatively easy to make big choice and consequence things, as well as multiple branches of dialogue and many different NPC reactions. Just adding more text is a lot easier than also recording it.
    But yes, I also got a strong Fallout: Tactics feel from it. Not that I mind, I loved that game, but the roleplaying was fairly minimal.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Drugar said:

It'll be a fair blend of both I think, I've heard them say in interviews and such that because the game is text based, it's relatively easy to make big choice and consequence things, as well as multiple branches of dialogue and many different NPC reactions. Just adding more text is a lot easier than also recording it.
    But yes, I also got a strong Fallout: Tactics feel from it. Not that I mind, I loved that game, but the roleplaying was fairly minimal.

To me, I don't sweat the lack of VO for the game. In fact, I have to say I agree that making it more text based gives them a whole lot more freedom.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    TBH it basically looks like ToEE gameplay with a terrible UI :(
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I guess I am not seeing it that way. You can swivel the camera and zoom in and change the orientation, none of which you can do in ToEE. Plus the graphics resolution looks quite a bit better. And it is absolutely darker and more atmospheric than ToEE (IMHO). Also, it looks like tactics play a much bigger part than in other games. And what the Devs were saying was that interactivity was going to be a HUGE focus in the game, which is much different than ToEE and BG series (both of which has significant interactivity, but not to the level we saw in the demo).

As far as the terrible UI? In what way? What we saw showed a very customizable HUD. And the actual interface is probably not finished being tweaked yet. I admit it doesn't look perfect, but I thought it was quite a bit above ToEE. Subjectively speaking.