Skip to content

App Store vs BeamDog / Play on several Macs

Hello,

I would like to buy the game in the App Store, so we here in the family can play it on several Macs without haveing to buy it several times. Will the purchase with BeamDog allow me the same comfort or do I have to wait for the App Store version? Thank you!

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The Beamdog version does not have any DRM, so yes, you can install it on all of your computers at home.
  • DonavanDonavan Member Posts: 1
    Are there any downsides to purchasing through BeamDog rather than using the App Store? Also, any ETA for the App Store?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    None really. And the devs make more money from a direct sale.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    The only downside I can think of is that it's not quite as convenient to install/redownload as it is with the MAS.

ETA is whenever Apple feels like it. Usually it's within 2 weeks of submission.
  • kramersinvakramersinva Member Posts: 2
    Did the OP mean play on several Macs multiplayer, simultaneously? Is that allowed in the license? The Beamdog generic FAQ seems to suggest it is not -- that multiple purchases would be required:

From Beamdog FAQ:
    "We do not limit the number of computers you can install your games on, we do however limit concurrent usage of those games. When you buy a game from us we grant a license to run only one copy at a given time. If you log into another Beamdog Client, we log you out of the previous session."

That would seem to mean you would need multiple purchases (and beamdog accounts??) to play mutliplayer in your home.
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    I think the important thing to note while everyone strangely fixates on needing to buy multiple copies of a game if you want to play it on multiple machines at the same time is that is common sense and the way it should work. If it doesn't then cool, but you should still purchase the game twice just to support the future development of more titles. Sadly if you can't afford 20 dollars or 40 dollars you should probably be working not playing video games.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    (I don't have enough hands to play on two machines at once...)
  • blipmusicblipmusic Member Posts: 36
    Nifft said:

(I don't have enough hands to play on two machines at once...)

You rang?

Goddard said:

[...] Sadly if you can't afford 20 dollars or 40 dollars you should probably be working not playing video games.

Well, in that case there's always the next Humble Bundle to look forward to.

Anyway, the only reason I'd lean towards getting the MAS version would be if the alleged upcoming ("soon" TM, as in "not this patch") cloud save feature would use iCloud on the MAS and something more er... complicated (?) in the Beamdog version. If they're both the same in that regard I might as well get the Beamdog version.
    @blipmusic they aren't using iCloud. They're doing their own so it'll be cross platform.
  • kramersinvakramersinva Member Posts: 2
    The question isn't so much about paying more than once -- I'm willing to do that. But does Beamdog complicate this? Do I need multiple Beamdog accounts? Does each one need its own email address? This may be a case where this distribution system is making things more complicated, not less.
    @kramersinva no, you can download and run the game on as many macs as you own, same account.