Skip to content

When You First Started BG

willmcclure72willmcclure72 Member Posts: 16
Did anyone here have no idea about the way the game was played, stats, hit rolls and all of the AD&D Rules. I acctually had no idea until a couple of weeks ago. I was always like "OMG WHY ARNT YOU DOING DAMAGE" hehe

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    No, I read the manual first like a good BG player.
  • willmcclure72willmcclure72 Member Posts: 16
    Mine didnt have a manual D:
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I already knew the rules of D&D 2nd Edition.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Oh I was absolutely horrible at it. Sending Xzar on level 1 against the high hedge golems. Clever!
    I would have loved to read the manual actually... TOO BAD I didn't speak English back then! (I was 8 years old, whereas i got my first lectures of English when I was 11)

Oh and the WOLVES, the WOLVES. They scarred me quite deeply back then, so much that if any wolf hits me TODAY when on level one, I go into panic mode and drink a potion. There's video proof on youtube XD
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I remember my first character was a fighter, and I gave him 17 intelligence because I didn't want him to appear stupid when talking to npcs.
    Well, you're a nice guy. :P

Oh I was absolutely horrible at it. Sending Xzar on level 1 against the high hedge golems. Clever!
    I would have loved to read the manual actually... TOO BAD I didn't speak English back then! (I was 8 years old, whereas i got my first lectures of English when I was 11)

Oh and the WOLVES, the WOLVES. They scarred me quite deeply back then, so much that if any wolf hits me TODAY when on level one, I go into panic mode and drink a potion. There's video proof on youtube XD
    Yes this is exactly like me, i used to be sh*t scared when wolves would jump out at night ahah (i was also 8)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Did anyone here have no idea about the way the game was played, stats, hit rolls and all of the AD&D Rules. I acctually had no idea until a couple of weeks ago. I was always like "OMG WHY ARNT YOU DOING DAMAGE" hehe
    I had two older brothers to figure it out for me.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited July 2012
    Other first playthrough mistakes include, but are not limited to:

Losing Minsc, Xan and Brawen permanently after getting stuck in a cave with a doomguard waiting outside
    Not realising that garrick could cast spells until I reached about level 7
    Killing the chicken melicamp before he could talk to me because Id heard about an evil cleric in the area from the temple and assumed that was him.
    Carrying around the body inside the ankheg nest for the whole game because I didnt know who or where farmer brun was
    Getting into a spot of bother after fighting the amazons because I didnt realise charm person would wear off.
    Right clicking on the stat tomes to "Read" them with each character, then dropping them becuause I had no use for them

and many many more...
  • dandydandy Member Posts: 35
    I started with BGII, and basically I just skipped through every conversation, clicking randomly (It made me think minsc and jaheira were bad guys), I didn't know about scripts, I never cast spells, I would drop characters when they died...I remember thinking that Khalid was one of the dryads in the dungeon...
    I was also used to playing DII, so I was expecting that kind of gameplay
    The joys of being 6...
    Yes! I remembered doing that, i hate it when my brother (he is 10) skips though all the dialogue and dosent worry about scripts and uses a all men fighter melee type party ahah
  • UselessUseless Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    I was about 5-7 when I first played BG1, couldnt properly read back then so I just skipped through all the dialogue, not particularly helpful when you need to read the letter in the Nashkel mines so you know to go to Beregost. I would just play the game over and over again until I reached the end of the mines then start again. Not to mention how terrible I was at making characters, they all had names like 'dfighdsih' and 'dkfghiuch' since I just mashed the keyboard.

On top of that, we had the old 5 disc set, and one of them managed to get cracked, so you couldnt enter Beregost, but true to my guns, I'd always just go around through the area west of Beregost so I could continue to do the Nashkel mines, and start again. Once I finally realised how to progress the story, I had to buy a new copy. Still love the game to death.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    I've only ever played Baldur's Gate II, and I remember for a while I would only ever watch my brother play, because I could never get passed the machine that spawned lightning mephits. Otherwise known as the games first fight.

I didn't get that you had to go north first to get equipment, THEN go fight them. I also didn't get how to turn off the machine, though once I understood the game, I didn't do it anyway to get maximum XP.

Still never made it passed...Chapter 3, probably. Damn not being a child prodigy of computer games! Says a lot about the games though, that I've played less than half of half the series, and I'm already counting the days until BG:EE's release.
  • morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    trying to kill all right after i started was my furst mistake i guess lvl 1 aint that powerfull afterall
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Anna_Develoren : At least Immy has pink hair in Baldur's Gate 2 XD
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    I started BG last year,in summer...it was Human Paladin,and he pretty much sucked.High charisma,lots of wisdom but low dexternity and constitution...he was pretty weak
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    I had no clue what I was doing until my second playthrough. First one wasn´t successful of course :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I had already played 2nd edition AD&D all through high school and college, so I understood the rules already when BG came out.

I was never a dungeon master, though, so I was still pretty bad at BG at first, because I didn't really get the mechanics. I remember Imoen saying "oh, I'm so cold" almost every battle right before she died, because I would put her in melee with her dagger. And I remember thinking that thieves should be thieves, so I would have her go through inns and steal stuff. And then I remember Jaheira saying "better leadership! Come, on, Kahlid", and leaving my party, because I didn't understand the reputation system or that party members would leave.
  • AceofWandsAceofWands Member Posts: 33
    Yep, this was me many years ago. Took me 360 (game) days to finish the game on my first attempt. I was sort of reading the manual as I went along. 2nd attempt took about 90 days. Of course, by this time I was well and truly hooked.
  • The_ZealotThe_Zealot Member Posts: 43
    I remember loving the game and understanding next to nothing about it, I was skilled enough at 8 or 9 to send the big guys first and keep the mages and archers in the back... that was pretty much my strategy. I understood nothing of buffing or defensive magic so it was a lot of go fighters then send a rain of magic missiles and melfs acid arrows at the bad guys.

If all else failed I knew a cheat (i am shamed to admit) to get a bunch of one shot necklaces of fireball. So i would locate the bad guys and kill them with fire......
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Not sure which I played first, but I won BG2 first.
    Don't remember much about my playthrough except that it must've been pretty sloppy because I thought Irenicus (in Hell) was only defeatable if you turned into the Slayer too, as none of my weapons were good enough to hurt him, and he regenerated before my magic could do much.
    Rather shameful, I know :P
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I think the first time I played Minsc went berserk during combat because I hadn't found Dynaheir fast enough and gibbed me. Not a lot of metagaming or tactical understanding at that point either. I kept wondering why my mages couldn't cast cure lesser wounds...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I had played enough Final Fantasy style RPGs to understand roles and damage. THAC0 didn't make any sense but you just had to know that a low AC is good. I played multiplayer the first time through with people that didn't like to read, so I may have missed a bit of the plot. I mean most. I missed most of the plot.
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    I was like 12 or something when I found the CDs under my brothers desk and installed the game. I had no idea about anything, and thought it's a very hard game, cause I created a mage and he had only 1 spell to cast :D
    It wasn't too difficult anymore after a D&D crash course that my brother gave me.
  • TonaraskyTonarasky Member Posts: 7
    I used to make parties of 6 thieves so i could backstab things 6 times! Funnily enough it actually worked...
  • LejontassLejontass Member Posts: 2
    I was about 12 when I played Baldur´s Gate. I kind of learnt english reading and rereading that poor manual trying to understand what THAC0 actually is.
  • FerluciFerluci Member Posts: 26
    I too was 12 years old at the time... I remember having bought the game in a shopping mall nearby only to notice that I had bought the french version instead of the english one when I got him. I took some translation books from my mothers desk and started playing... :D This is probably the only reason why I still know what "Un épeé" is in French!
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    Never read the manual , even now , guest playing realm of arkania - star trail paid off Coz I know the basic of RPG and roughly what they contribute .still the first time - losing 4-5 point live on the way to friendly arms ( I hate wolves ) and die on the steps of FAI . When I did make it through xzar getting pounded by jahira and khalid . Sigh .... . Anyway , all my party are slingers or archers , finished the game with very little melee . By the way my char was fighter mage from get go . Well its changed now , but still remember my first go at BG . Think I will reinstall and have it a go soon
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    I was 10 when i started playing no idea how it worked i remember thinking that clicking faster, buying all the health potions, and being a thief to open locks was the best way to play the game. It was not in till i replayed bg1 & bg2 when i was 14 that i learned how everything worked and how to play better