Skip to content

Playing a cleric to make up for a lack of quality clerics?

2»

Comments

• TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618

I think it makes dual-class characters OP and doesn't make logical sense, but I doubt this will be changed, as I suspect there would be howls of protest...

Technically, it isn't allowed by 2nd Ed. though like you, I doubt it'll get fixed, at least not any time soon, unless they have absolutely nothing else to fix.

Another thing that makes dual class OP though, it dualing into a Fighter.
    You can put all 4 pips into one weapon.
    So by 3rd lvl, you're already a GM in a weapon.

I modded the XP up by 31k, so I decided to dual a Lvl 7 Swash to a Fighter.
    Winded up with this by Fighter Lvl 8:

Long Sword **
    Long Bow *****
    Single Weapon Style **

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited February 2013

I think it makes dual-class characters OP and doesn't make logical sense

While it certainly makes dual-class quite powerful, there is a lot of argument surrounding the logic behind it.

On the one hand you are correct that technically, dual-classes should stop any and all progression in their first class, and the ability to put more pips into something is usually tied to that class. The RP analogy would be that even though you probably could develop your skills with that weapon further, you choose not to because you want to focus on your new career.

On the other hand, there is some residual skill that happens automatically. Take a Fighter->Cleric for example. You may not have learned how to use, say, hammers to their full potential while you were a fighter, but you were extensively drilled in the use of swords; now if you pick up a hammer, you may not know how to use it well, but you have a general idea of what to do, and how to improve. A pure cleric would be far more clueless, and even accounting for less dedication to combat training, anyone with a martial background would naturally be more adapt at using weapons than someone without that background.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    If just for the challenge and RP reasons you want to try a human pure class cleric, sure why not?

You can tank really, really well with a pure class cleric wearing ankheg armor and using a Shield amulet. (With Dex 18 you're at AC -6 or something on that order.) So well in fact that you really don't need a shield. So if you dual-wield even with just 1 pip in Two-Weapon Style, Mace (Stupifier), and War Hammer, respectively, you can get 2 attacks per round and better THAC0. (Probably worth it just for the 2 APR.)

If you go with the Priest of Lathander kit you'll get Boon of Lathander, which is pretty good.

You'll be more formidable as a meleer if you start as Fighter and dual-class to Cleric at, let's say, Fighter 3. But if you want to see what you can do with just a vanilla cleric you should be able to have fun as a human pure class cleric (or specialty priest).
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Lemernis said:

If just for the challenge and RP reasons you want to try a human pure class cleric, sure why not?

You can tank really, really well with a pure class cleric wearing ankheg armor and using a Shield amulet.

Why both? The AC bonuses don't stack, apart the immunity to Magic Missile effect (probably) from the Shield Amulet. Did you mean a +x Protection Amulet instead? Also, if the Cleric has at least 15 Strength then Full Plate Armour would be better than Ankheg, at least against slashing and piercing.
    Lemernis said:

(With Dex 18 you're at AC -6 or something on that order.) So well in fact that you really don't need a shield. So if you dual-wield even with just 1 pip in Two-Weapon Style, Mace (Stupifier), and War Hammer, respectively, you can get 2 attacks per round and better THAC0. (Probably worth it just for the 2 APR.)

With only one pip in dual-wield you would get -2 to the main hand and -6 to the off-hand - how does that give "better THAC0", unless you're talking about BG2, where the bonus to Strength from off-hand wielding Crom Faeyr and it's own +5 THAC0 might help, but as you mentioned the Stupifier, I assume you're talking about BGEE?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I think it makes dual-class characters OP and doesn't make logical sense, but I doubt this will be changed, as I suspect there would be howls of protest...

Technically, it isn't allowed by 2nd Ed. though like you, I doubt it'll get fixed, at least not any time soon, unless they have absolutely nothing else to fix.

Another thing that makes dual class OP though, it dualing into a Fighter.
    You can put all 4 pips into one weapon.
    So by 3rd lvl, you're already a GM in a weapon.

I modded the XP up by 31k, so I decided to dual a Lvl 7 Swash to a Fighter.
    Winded up with this by Fighter Lvl 8:

Long Sword **
    Long Bow *****
    Single Weapon Style **

Oops! That's really broken!
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    @TheCoffeeGod did you report that? That's most assuredly a bug, likely a leftover from BG2 chargen.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013

Lemernis said:

You can tank really, really well with a pure class cleric wearing ankheg armor and using a Shield amulet.

Why both? The AC bonuses don't stack, apart the immunity to Magic Missile effect (probably) from the Shield Amulet. Did you mean a +x Protection Amulet instead? Also, if the Cleric has at least 15 Strength then Full Plate Armour would be better than Ankheg, at least against slashing and piercing.
    Lemernis said:

(With Dex 18 you're at AC -6 or something on that order.) So well in fact that you really don't need a shield. So if you dual-wield even with just 1 pip in Two-Weapon Style, Mace (Stupifier), and War Hammer, respectively, you can get 2 attacks per round and better THAC0. (Probably worth it just for the 2 APR.)

With only one pip in dual-wield you would get -2 to the main hand and -6 to the off-hand - how does that give "better THAC0", unless you're talking about BG2, where the bonus to Strength from off-hand wielding Crom Faeyr and it's own +5 THAC0 might help, but as you mentioned the Stupifier, I assume you're talking about BGEE?
    Sorry, I was a bit sloppy trying to formulate a post in a rush as I was getting ready for work. I got a little distracted and posted before I proofread.

Ankheg armor I used as an example because it is available for free virtually immediately.

The Shield Amulet actually wouldn't do anything because it just sets the Base AC to 4 and the priest is at -3 just wearing ankheg armor.

And THACO is sure enough not improved by dual-wielding. What was in my brain at that moment (but didn't fully make it into print) was the potential additional overall damage from 2 APR (well, 3 APR with Boon of Lathander) despite the slightly decreased THAC0 (-2) in the main hand.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Fafnir said:

did you report that? That's most assuredly a bug, likely a leftover from BG2 chargen.

I did, though there was already a thread on it, so my thread got merged with the original.