Skip to content

OS/X WeiDU testers needed

NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
I've uploaded an OS/X intel mac version of WeiDU (latest unstable GIT version) here:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16185/trying-to-compile-weidu-in-mac-osx

I've only tested on OS/X 10.6, but plenty of people are going to be running 10.7 and 10.8 by now, so I'd really like it if people with those systems could kick the tires on this binary.

I'm testing on a Wineskin'd BGEE on OS/X, and that works, but perhaps some Beamdog folks could test it on MacBGEE directly? :-)

Thanks! -- N

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    You understand that if we test it in the beta we can't dísclose anything until it's released, right?
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    mlnevese said:

You understand that if we test it in the beta we can't dísclose anything until it's released, right?

Forgive me, I misspoke. Not the beta.

The version that I've got pre-loaded on my Mac right now, except for the last 100mb.

That version is going to be a lot more relevant to everyone. ;-)
    @Nifft Your version runs in 10.8.2. I will give you some feedback about how it works as soon as the Mac version is released.
    Cool, thank you @mlnevese!

If it's any help, the program that you are commenting on is licensed under the LGPL v2, which means that it explicitly disclaims "fitness for" any "particular purpose", and your comments about your own experience with the program can't be held against you or anyone else. (Or so the FSF claims, and they seem to have decent lawyers.)

That reminds me, I should put a git-hub link near the executable I uploaded, for GPL compliance.
  • LegolpLegolp Member Posts: 14
    Really cool idea ! Thanks Nifft !
    I'm also running OS X 10.6.8 but if you need further testing once the mac version is released, let me know.
    @Legolp, thanks, more testing is usually good!
    MacBGEE is here! I'll be looking into whether the WeiDU OS/X binary works tomorrow.

As always, PLEASE remember to back up your BGEE installation before you try any modding!
    edited February 2013
    @Nifft Now that 2014 is out I can say weidu works perfectly. Contrary to previous versions of Weidu for MacOSX, no tp2 editing is necessary. All that is needed to instal any Weidu mod is copying dialog. tlk from the lang folder to the main folder, installing all the mods you want and the moving the dialog.tlk back to its original folder. :)

Soon I'll be writing a detailed guide on how to install mod in BGEE OSX.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    @mlnevese: Yay!
    Thank you.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @mlnevese, it's even easier if you make a link, as explained in that guide.
    Contrary to Windows, there should not be any dependency on OSX version to get the ln command to work.
    @Isaya The reason I choose to copy the tlk instead of linking is that the link is destroyed when the game updates and I usually install all mods I want to use at one go anyway. So, in my particular case, copying it is quicker than linking. I just open a dual pane view in Forklift and quickly copy the tlk.
    @mlnevese, I used to think that updating destroyed the link. But the last update didn't break my links, as I made them symbolic and not hard last time I created them.
    If you make a symbolic link (ln -s), it is just a redirect that can't be broken, unless the target disappears. As long as BGEE keeps the english text file in lang\en_US, a symbolic link from 00766 directory to lang\en_US\dialog.tlk will remain safe.
    With the Unix base in OSX, you are safe using symbolic links. I don't think there are restrictions about who can create symbolic links either.
    In Windows, there are issues with symbolic link missing below Vista and requiring administrative rights otherwise.
    @Isaya I'll try linking then :)
    edited February 2013
    Oops, I made a mistake about the symbolic link, @mlnevese.
    During the last update, I didn't loose the links on dialog.tlk and dialogF.tlk, so I assumed they were symbolic. Actually they were hard links. And I used the symbolic links for stuff required by Shadow Keeper, not the dialog.tlk file.
    And using symbolic links instead doesn't work, as least on Windows. WeiDU complains that the files are too small to be tlk files.
    Maybe it works better on Linux or OSX, where links are probably more part of the core things.
    I can confirm that on OS/X symlinks ("ln -s ...") work just as well as hard-links, and are far more reliable.

I used symlinks exclusively when testing WeiDU on my Wineskin WinBGEE.
    edited February 2013
    @Isaya I tested installing and uninstalling Weidu mods and it worked quite well. I'll discover if they survive updating as soon as the beta or main game are updated. But i think it will just be wiped out as override is.