Skip to content

Feeling like a real BADASS...

So I took on the guardians of Degrodel's House with my CHARNAME alone. Admittedly, she had the Ankheg Plate, Kiel's Helmet, "The Harrower", The Boots of Speed, The Claw of Kazgoroth, The gloves that give +1 to hit, was under the effects of an Aid spell, Protection from Undead, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, Oil of Speed and a Potion of Cloud Giant Strength- but she took out all the Helmed Horrors (2) and Battle Horrors (2) and Invisible Stalkers (3) by herself. Oh, and she's a 6th level unkitted fighter. But it made me feel like she was a real badass.

What in-game battles made you feel like your character was a real badass now?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Every time I cast blindness on a tough enemy it makes me think "can you blind-fight, punk?"

Like a boss ;D

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Bah, all you need is Boots of Speed, good hide/move silently, backstab, and more cheese than a dairy can produce in a week.

It won't make you feel that great of yourself, though.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    In Black Pits, I accidentally clicked "I'm ready for the next battle" and went into the fight with the adventurers from Thay without having rested; my mage having 1 sleep spell and less than 20 sling bullets left, all abilities like poison weapon/berzerk/... used up... and won the battle in no time, without losing more than 5 HP on any character. I didn't feel badass, I felt cheated because Baeloth had promised a challenge and if I could beat them that easily with an unprepared party, it clearly wasn't one.
    That happened in my first BP playthrough and I didn't know I could talk to someone to get hints about the next challenge, which made it all the more disappointing.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Chow said:

Bah, all you need is Boots of Speed, good hide/move silently, backstab, and more cheese than a dairy can produce in a week.

It won't make you feel that great of yourself, though.

But that's *exactly* what thieves should be doing...

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I love fighting Werewolves (or Wolfweres, or Loup Garous, etc...) for a couple reasons. As a kid the Wolfman was the first monster that completely terrified me (I saw "Abbott and Costello Meet the Wolfman" when I was six. Its really a silly movie, but I was clearly too young); but even better, in game Werewolves are soooo arrogant, and yet they fall to my blades sooo easily. Its great when they say things like"I'll feast on your bones..." but they never even finish the sentence because you've chopped them in two!
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    the last time i felt badass, was my last BP run.

along with a blade, cleric of lothander, wild mage, swashbuckler and inquisitor i also had a kensai who by the fire giant fight, pretty much soloed the big bastard while everyone else fought the fire elementals.

i cast spirit armour on him, defensive harmony, protection from evil and used the improved cloak of protection (that is so broken) and kai and he was hitting for 23 with 6 apr

he then single handedly took on rakeshar and majorly contributed to killing baeloth. the battle was over so so quickly
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I felt my character was BADASS because that fight had been chopping up the whole of my party every time I attempted it beforehand. I don't think I ever attempted that fight in the original game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    My lvl5 half-orc assassin taking down thalantyrs golems alone by backstabbing them with poisoned weapons. I remember trying to beat them with a full party when BG originally was released but i never got to kill em both... until now.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @KingGhidora Wow... that *is* badass!
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Bhaaldog said:

Halfling Vanilla Thief taking out the Demogorgon Guardians armed with a short bow. It took about 2 hours but when I won I thought it was badass. It involved a lot of running around....

That sounds exhausting!

I find destroying enemies with a halfling to be fun like that regardless of class.

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    This one time I was fighting Drizzt and I summoned werebears.... and BAM he was totally dead real quick and stuff.... It was so amazing! Werebears are totally overpowered by the way.

Did I already mention what a total badass I am?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm just getting back to the game after about a four or five year hiatus, so nothing on the order in the one and a half playthroughs I've done since BG:EE was released.

But shortly before I took a break from playing BG(T) I was very impressed with a half-orc Cleric-Thief build that got massive damage on backstabs with a quarterstaff. Some of the crits were astounding. And he followed up well in melee afterward too. He wasn't quite as fun in ToB where he couldn't backstab anymore, but HLAs made up for it. (I liked him so much I started a NPC mod for him, but I'm waiting for BG2:EE to resume it.)

I soloed BG1 once with a NE Cleric/Mage and I was actually surprised at how formidable he was. I played smart evil to the hilt. I had expected it would be a tough go. But this fellow worked every angle and actually he kind of sailed through the game. I can't remember how he did it now, but he completely owned Davaeorn. I remember feeling then, okay this character is pretty badass.

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Lemernis said:

I soloed BG1 once with a NE Cleric/Mage and I was actually surprised at how formidable he was. I played smart evil to the hilt. I had expected it would be a tough go. But this fellow worked every angle and actually he kind of sailed through the game. I can't remember how he did it now, but he completely owned Davaeorn. I remember feeling then, okay this character is pretty badass.

Yeah, imo Cleric/Mage is difficult in the beginning, but later on becomes great, especially in a small party.
  • RangerSGRangerSG Member Posts: 22
    Yeah, imo Cleric/Mage is difficult in the beginning, but later on becomes great, especially in a small party.
    When you get sequencers, they officially turn into gamebreakers. Loading cleric spells in mage sequencers is simply too much fun. And then you can put them in your contingencies in BG2. Yum.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I never played TotSC before BGEE introduced it to me, so while I had heard tale of an impossibly powerful Greater Wolfwere (or werewolf, or whatever the hell), I didn't know about silver/cold iron flags or any such nonsense. Nevertheless, Kagain was able to tank him long enough for me to figure out how to beat him. I was confused that Dorn wielding the +3 Greatsword couldn't touch the guy, and demoralized that he was regenerating magic damage so quickly, but after some experimenting I got my PC fighter/thief to land a massive backstab with the flaming longsword and finished him off with a Wand of the Heavens shot.

Felt good then, but then I retroactively felt badass when I found out what an obstacle it proved to some.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Currently playing as a PC sorcerer wearing the Robe of Vecna (modded in, of course).

I felt like a badass during the fight with Aec'Letec. I used a fighter to lure him in a corner, drank a potion of invisibility, then ran away. With the demon safely tucked into the corner, my PC unleashed a barrage of spells (ice storm, magic missile, melf's acid arrows, skull trap) against those cult guards.

I know they were standing still, but it was so fun just to blast them all with spells.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    I managed to solo take-down Aec'Letec on my last run with my cavalier paladin, w/o any cheese. (I was pretty high level before I attempted it, though). That felt pretty good, I have to say.
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    Since I couldn't figure out a way to protect my entire party from Aec'Letec's cheat gaze attacks, I finally had to solo him and his cult with my Kensai PC using massive buffs ( warrior on STR/CON potions+DUHM=OMGWTFBBQ).
    I also had to give him the cursed goblet from Durlag's tower since generic health pots just didn't cut it.

It did feel pretty good afterwards.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited February 2013
    Cherudek said:

Since I couldn't figure out a way to protect my entire party from Aec'Letec's cheat gaze attacks, I finally had to solo him and his cult with my Kensai PC using massive buffs ( warrior on STR/CON potions+DUHM=OMGWTFBBQ).
    I also had to give him the cursed goblet from Durlag's tower since generic health pots just didn't cut it.

It did feel pretty good afterwards.

It's not a cheat gaze bro, it's a genuine ability of a young nabassu.

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/tanagnab.php

Though, by reading this, I must confess it is bolstered for this fight, obviously.

BTW, if you want to protect yourself against it, you should drink a potion of mirrored eyes or cast a protection vs petrification on your party.

Though, it can be dispelled by the magic dispell spell ;-)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Not in Baldur's Gate but in Icewind Dale 2 did I have a moment where I cheered at my sole remaining partymember.

The battle with the 6 Lost Followers of Bane is a monsterfight. Raising them from the dead, you fight a half demon-half storm giant, a duergar warrior king who drinks acid and bathes in lava, an archer on crack who never misses, a monk who was hurt so often, he was immune to damage and pain, a cleric who summons hordes of undead and a wizard who summons tons of demons before bombarding everything with spells.
    I set up my party, summoned elder elementals next to where the casters would rise, buffed everyone to the point where they were vomiting up magic power and summoned the Followers.
    The battle was chaotic and filled with last-minute potion chugging and summoning reinforcements while the Followers cut down everything in their path. Eventually, my paladin cut down the demongiant, but was promptly killed by the duergar.

Only two were left, my gnomish illusionist and the duergar warrior king, who's hitpoints were barely at Injured. Fireballs, acid arrows, nothing helped. Only magic damage. So the small gnome ran around like a retard while a berserking zombie-dwarflord raced after him, recasting Mirror Image and Haste, throwing Magic Missles, Force Missles, Horrid Wilting, whatever I could find. Finally, with only a Mage Armour to protect him, he shot his last Magic Missle, killing the duergar and vanquishing the Lost Followers forever.

He got ALL the ladies after that, of course.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Pretty much everytime you manage hit the enemies with a save or suck spell. Like how Sarevok literally just leaves the final area when under Chaos.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Getting through a difficult fight without mishaps or casualties.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Anytime I chunk something.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I feel badass when chunking orcs in BG2 with fireballs and Liarlicor (sp?).
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    First time I used horror. Then I laughed and laughed and laughed...
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Noober
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Probably the first time I ever used a thieves backstab, which was rather recent actually, since I never could be bothered to hide in shadows as I'm more of a straight forward type player (direct melee or bows without magic/potion buffs or protections)

Anyways...
    Imoen was 6th lvl and had The Whistling Sword (+2 short sword for those that don't know), which isn't much due to her 9 STR, so it only does 3-8.
    But I decided to try out backstab on Tranzig since I never used it before. So I walked Imoen upstairs all by herself, positioned behind him, hid and backstabbed him.
    -lol-
    She rolled full damage on top of a crit!
    The full 48 points, which chunked Tranzig instantly!
    I was rather impressed!

Though I don't think I'll ever use backstab again, since it's just not my playing style.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2013
    Well, when I defeated Sarevok in one round, without taking damage, solo run, F/M, totally buffed, level 9/10, and leveled up to 11 mage after killing Sarevok. Damned farming time, and Durlag's without a thief.
    And when I killed all the monsters in Dregodel's house, no damage with my nonbuffed Blackguard :D