Skip to content

CMD+Q quits without warning

Hello. Please add a save dialogue or a warning when a user hits CMD+Q incidentally. It is annoying, to say the least, when you see the game quit without a save...

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    That's a feature for when you are playing at work ;)

There is a request in the tracker to add an option to correct this.
  • clocknovaclocknova Member Posts: 23
    I've also made the unpleasant discovery that "L" reloads without any warning either.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    @Cerevant - at the very least, I'd like a "Quit-Auto-Save" slot written when I Command-Q quit, so if it was an accident I can immediately recover, and if it wasn't an accident I can just ignore the save slot.
    My understanding is that there is a confirmation required option that is implemented but not yet configurable in-game. There is a tracker issue open to address that.
  • Xyzzy01Xyzzy01 Member Posts: 2
    Arcater said:

Hello. Please add a save dialogue or a warning when a user hits CMD+Q incidentally. It is annoying, to say the least, when you see the game quit without a save...

Given how long it takes to exit otherwise, that's a feature - not a bug :)
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Xyzzy01 said:

Arcater said:

Given how long it takes to exit otherwise, that's a feature - not a bug :)
    A simple "are you sure?" Dialog would make quitting almost as fast and save potential headaches.
  • clocknovaclocknova Member Posts: 23
    The same goes for the "load" command. I accidentally hit the L key and reverted a lot of gameplay back to an earlier save without any warning whatsoever. Frustrating.
    @clocknova added that to the bug tracker.
    @clocknova So apparently you can disable the Load shortcut. Go to Options -> Gameplay -> Assign Keys, go to Miscellaneous. Click on the gem next to the Load shortcut, press escape.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really like the way quick loads and fast quitting works. People have been asking for a way to quit the game quickly since the EE was released. Now the Mac version got one :)
  • ArcaterArcater Member Posts: 22
    I just need either an AUTO-SAVE by CMD+Q or the Question "Are you sure". That should still be very quick...
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited February 2013
    It's not that one could ACCIDENTALLY hit cmd q, is it?
  • CodebakerCodebaker Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    Quit is not only possible from inside the application. It is also possible from outside. With admin rights you can either, as part of an process or manually, issue a shutdown remotely or locally. The app process just get killed if not obeying in time in the nice scenario and just instant killed if the shutdown goes the hard way.

For instance.
    Open any app, Word/Pages/BGE and have unsaved stuff open. Then open Terminal and issue:
    sudo shutdown -h now

People get pragmatic when they are under pressure and your wife is already pissed because she is waiting for you. An answer like: "hold on honey, just let me save this and shutdown my mac" ensures some "fun" coming up. :)

Sure, there is a sleep mode, but that isn't getting the stuff saved either. Not cool, especial if you work with iCloud. The BGE Mac save game could be available to play further on your iPad. (Ah yes, your wife needs to drive then, right. :) )

jk.
    Seriously.
    Apps on Mac should autosave their current state and restore this state when they reawaken. This is best practice, but it doesn't mean every app follow this. (coughMSWordcough)

Same thing with iOS. Same suggestion. There is no CMD Q command but a termination of the app when the App was not used for a while and the memory is needed. On a mobile device you cant force the user to save. You only know if you end up in the background and if you get terminated later. Ideal for saving.

cheers
    (When is BGE on App Store available?)
    Post edited by Codebaker on
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    @Codebaker - Yeah, that's the right way to think about this.

I don't think I always want state restored, though. How about a 4th button on the start screen "Restore Auto-Quit Save" if an Auto-Quit Save is detected?
    I've added an additional feature request for auto save / auto resume.