Skip to content

What is your favourite new character kit?

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
If you had to pick
  1. What is your favourite new character kit?194 votes
    1. Blackguard
      21.65%
    2. Dragon Disciple
      26.29%
    3. Dark Moon Monk
        3.09%
    4. Sunsoul Monk
        5.15%
    5. Dwarvern Defender
      20.62%
    6. Shadowdancer
      23.20%

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Dragon Disciple sounds quite powerful. Sorcerers are already very strong, and having one that is more resilient can't be a bad thing.

Dwarven Defender sounds pretty strong as well, though not sure if more tanks is what I really want.

Monks sound okay, nothing too exciting really. Never liked monk to begin with, though, so maybe it's just that.

Shadowdancer is very broken, i.e. bugged. Reserving my judgement for now.

And Blackguard... well, it's got flavor, but it's no Inquisitor. Nothing for me!
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    If nothing else, I love the Dwarven Defender for RP value. Always wanted a Bruenor Battlehammer-like character. The "only 4 *'s in Axes and Hammers" is a tad annoying, but it balances the kit well enough.

Never been a fan of monks, and as said, Shadowdancer is a bit broken.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Shadowdancer has some nice ideas, but with all the bugs, I'll give it a pass until the next patch.

Dwarven Defender is cool, but Dwarves were already kick-ass Fighters, so it's not really a change in strategy. I'm playing one and enjoying him but it's just not that different from any other 'shorty' Fighter.

The two Monk kits don't address the huge, glaring, fundamental Monk problem: they are too weak at low levels (bad AC, bad attacks), and too strong at Epic levels. They look flavorful, though, so I'll give them a try in BG2ee.

That leaves the Blackguard (which is Dorn) and the Dragon Disciple (which is clearly CHARNAME).
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Jared4242 said:

If nothing else, I love the Dwarven Defender for RP value. Always wanted a Bruenor Battlehammer-like character. The "only 4 *'s in Axes and Hammers" is a tad annoying, but it balances the kit well enough.

Definitly Agree looking for to playing a Dwarven Defender Has a good Role Play feel to me
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    OK am I the only one who thinks that all it takes is a ring of fire resistance to make a Dragon Disciple 150% Fire resistant by BG2? So now you can heal yourself spamming fireball...that's crazy powerful. Who cares about one less spell, get a few wands.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Dragon Disciple sounds hella fun, though I might customize the kit a bit myself (the constitution boosts just don't seem useful compared to other stats).

Agreed with @Debaser: I'm going to be a GOD OF FIRE by the time BG2 comes around.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    edited February 2013
    I like the possibilities of the shadowdancer, though it seems more of an easter egg than a serious class. I think I'm gonna roll stealthy crazy backstabby evil solo run.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    It would be the Shadow Dancer, but it seems to be heavily bugged at the moment, so I'm not going to play it until the bugs are ironed out

It would be the Shadow Dancer, but it seems to be heavily bugged at the moment, so I'm not going to play it until the bugs are ironed out

@Oxford_Guy

I feel your pain bro. BUT I fully expected this content to be DLC you had to buy...so if it takes a patch to iron it all out, I'm not gonna complain. Plus every patch has had hundreds of fixes. I held off a month while they were sorting out the ranged combat APR problem even though my PC was a melee character at the time. No biggies here.

Five free kits and a few bugs to two of them isn't the end of the universe. =)

Honestly the Dwarf bug is the silliest.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Debaser said:

@Oxford_Guy

I feel your pain bro. BUT I fully expected this content to be DLC you had to buy...so if it takes a patch to iron it all out, I'm not gonna complain. Plus every patch has had hundreds of fixes. I held off a month while they were sorting out the ranged combat APR problem even though my PC was a melee character at the time. No biggies here.

Five free kits and a few bugs to two of them isn't the end of the universe. =)

Honestly the Dwarf bug is the silliest.
    Sure, it's understandable, I wasn't complaining, just saying I'm not going to play a full run through with that kit until it's fixed, though I may well end up playing it a bit to help beta test a fix for it.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I was gonna roll a Sorc but now I'll try a (R)DD.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Dragon Disciple easily. Love and play it in Neverwinter Nights and seeing its inclusion here makes me an incredibly happy person. I noticed they didn't add "red" in front here, implying you could be of any dragon colour descent, yet the immunities and breath are still all fire. I wouldn't have minded different colour variations for the resistances/breaths (cold/acid etc.) but that's me being greedy. Just hope the wings makes an appearance at level 10, or whatever is the 2nd edition version of 3rd edition's level 10.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not too sure Dragon Disciple. The bonus CON is useless unless you're hardcore and don't reroll/reassign stats at character creation (and even then you still have to get lucky for it to be of use). The extra AC and HP is alright, but your arcance casters really shouldn't really be under fire to begin with. The fire resistance in neat, but chances are if you end up eating a fireball you'll still be in bad shape, because although you DD might be fine the rest of your party won't. The flame breath is cool, but sort of requires you to get your character up in front to use it, which I try to avoide with mages/sorcerers. The way I see it, you're sacrificing spellcasting ability for physical combat ability, which you won't be very good at regardless

Maybe the DD is better suited for soloing? I never solo myself, so I'm no expert on it, but it seems like many of the DD perks would be better suited for soloing. You'll be under direct attack more often, so the extra HP and AC should come in handy. You can spam fireball on your self, torching everything nearby while healing yourself, without having to worry about friendly fire. The issue of positioning with the flame breath that I mentioned dissapeards, as when you're soloing you're always front and center. You sacrifice a little spellcasting versatility in exchange for a little more overall combat versatility.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    When it is less buggy: shadow dancer. However, the sun soul monk is awesome as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Bhaaldog said:

It is actually a difficult question. I have not played these yet but in terms of concept the Dwarven Defender and the Sun Soul Monk are intriguing. Hopefully we may have some NPCs in future with these classes.

I would imagine Rasaad gets Sun Soul come BGII:EE. I don't see them changing him since they didn't allready. Dwarven Defender, that certainly has potential for a new companion.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The Dark Moon Monk is by far the most original one of all new kits. While the Order of the Dark Moon itself is well known in D&D, an actual prestige class/kit of these monks were (to my knowledge at least) never published by WotC. It's good to see that such an interesting class choice, which only appeared once in Icewind Dale II, has returned to us at last.

Fact: Shar and her followers are too hot to be forgotten!

• HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    edited February 2013
    I loves the concept of Dwarven Defender, but I think it would be better to be Shield Defender and not to be restricted to Dwarves only imo.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I actually like the race restriction and wish other races had a kit of their own, too. Maybe an Uthgard barbarian for half orcs, some variation of the Arcane Archer kit for elves and half elves, a thief kit for halflings... The closest thing until now was the gnome ability to be an Illusionist in a multiclass, and Paladin/kits being restricted to humans.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited February 2013
    Too soon to say who is my favorite. Dwarven Defender and Dragon Disciple seem most powerful, Black Guard too. I also like the idea behind the Shadowstep, it will be handy for soloing.
    Post edited by Djimmy on
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited February 2013
    Normally I'd go with Dwarven Defender because I love dwarves, but I have to go with Blackguard. DD doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Just some damage reduction, though I could see some HLA shenanigans leading to total physical damage immunity in ToB.

Blackguards, though, feel like a totally different class as opposed to being a kit.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    All I can say is Dwarven Defender + Defender of Easthaven
  • HandofCromHandofCrom Member Posts: 16
    I'm liking the Dark Moon Monk. It is significantly better early on than a normal monk thanks to blindness and chill touch. I'm hoping to have something interesting happen when I do Rasaad's quest, I'll have to wait and see.

I also like the black guard, though I doubt I will roll one with Dorn around, and the Dragon Disciple will be my next guy.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Shadow dancer if they fix it
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Ooh a drow shadow dance sounds awesome to me
    ARRG I woulda picked Blackguard....but I thought this was only the new kits that just came out...I didn't really see it there and rush picked Dragon Disciple.

Blackguard is GREATNESS...by far one of the best Kits in the game, and I really enjoy it.

Out of the new five I pick Dragon Disciple.
  • AzofixAzofix Member Posts: 8
    Dragon Disciple. Simply because I enjoy playing "caster". In general for the game my "favourite" is blackguard since I enjoy playing evil and it ads opportunities. Never liked monks for no reason. Even if I never played much PnP Dwarven Defender is a nice adition. Don't have an opinion on Shadowdancer yet.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2013

I actually like the race restriction and wish other races had a kit of their own, too. Maybe an Uthgard barbarian for half orcs, some variation of the Arcane Archer kit for elves and half elves, a thief kit for halflings... The closest thing until now was the gnome ability to be an Illusionist in a multiclass, and Paladin/kits being restricted to humans.

I think that an Eye of Gruumsh kit for Half-Orc Barbarians would be great.