Skip to content

Steam - Patch?

Dantos4Dantos4 Member Posts: 58
edited March 2013 in Windows PC (Archive)
I was wondering if there was any word on when the latest patches will be available on Steam? So far I have got the 2012 patch (which I assume comes when you buy via steam) but no others.

If there is no patch coming, would anybody know the chances of me getting a refund via steam, so I can purchase it on Beamdog? Or getting it exchanged anyway.

I only ask as I am an aspiring Let's Player who has been making BG videos for a while. I had some recording crashes with BG Vanilla which gave me the excuse to switch to BG:EE for my videos.

I would hate to be playing through an older version of the game, showing it to my viewers "warts and all", when I could be playing/showing them a far less buggy game, from what I understand.

There are issues with Atari and their financial position, I am aware. I am just curious to see if anybody has any idea as to how likely I am to get a refund for essentially getting a bug-ridden, barely-updated game. (Again, not Beamdog's fault, but Atari's).

Also, would any of the mod staff know what the rules are regarding Ad revenue being generated from videos involving BG:EE?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Atari handles the release of patches to Steam. We've sent them a build, but there's no guarantee that it will be released soon.

If you contact Steam's support, they may be able to help you with your other questions.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    And still nothing - I understand that it's kinda awkward situation, but it's not proffessional (and I think Steam believes they are proffessional) to make their customers wait without providing any information on the issue. After all we all paid for the game and the support. I just sent an email to Steam somehow I doubt any real information will be provided.
    It would be great if Beamdog could contact Steam, too. Maybe that would make them stop with the "nah customers doesn't matter" politics.
    arkanuz
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Atari's really the one you want to contact about patch releases. Steam can't release the patch if they don't have it.
    edited February 2013
    You know, the thing is that I bought the game from Steam and if Steam provides a product then they are kinda responsible for the support. It's--you know, I have a deal with Steam, not with Atari and I believe Steam should be the one to contact Atari or at least mediate. If that's not their work, then I'm not sure what they get the money for. I'm afraid that for Atari I would be some kind of random guy asking for something, while I am Steam's customer. I really understand this may be kinda difficult for Steam, but we should at least be informed by Atari or Steam on what's going on and why can't we get the game updated...
    arkanuz
  • arkanuzarkanuz Member Posts: 14

You know, the thing is that I bought the game from Steam and if Steam provides a product then they are kinda responsible for the support. It's--you know, I have a deal with Steam, not with Atari and I believe Steam should be the one to contact Atari or at least mediate. If that's not their work, then I'm not sure what they get the money for. I'm afraid that for Atari I would be some kind of random guy asking for something, while I am Steam's customer. I really understand this may be kinda difficult for Steam, but we should at least be informed by Atari or Steam on what's going on and why can't we get the game updated...

Man, I'm livin' the same thing!
  • SkankySkanky Member Posts: 3
    Is there any chance of getting a link to a stand alone patch from 1.0.2012 to the current version which I can download directly? it is causing some major issues where friends have purchased the game either directly or through steam but the direct purchase version has a later patch release version to that which is available through steam. This just means we can not play multiplayer (the whole point of us buying it)
    arkanuz
  • BrunriBrunri Member Posts: 1
    BGEE has been updated on steam (2014).
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @LavaDelVortel

Why are you blaming steam, they are distributing the game for overhaul, and as Aosaw mentioned steam cannot do anything if they do not receive the data required for the patch. Its like trying to make an omelet without eggs you cannot do it no matter how much you complain. you will get the patches eventually, I guess it takes a little longer than people who bought it directly from overhaul.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Majoca said:

@LavaDelVortel

Why are you blaming steam, they are distributing the game for overhaul, and as Aosaw mentioned steam cannot do anything if they do not receive the data required for the patch. Its like trying to make an omelet without eggs you cannot do it no matter how much you complain. you will get the patches eventually, I guess it takes a little longer than people who bought it directly from overhaul.

I think his idea is that if people put pressure on Steam, Steam will in turn put pressure on Atari, which would hopefully have more of an effect that simply putting pressure directly on Atari. It's not unlike making a complaint about your food to your server at a restaurant. They aren't the ones making your food, and they can't do anything about it directly, but they can relay your complaint to the cooks, which will hopefully result in whatever was wrong with your food getting fixed.
    LavaDelVortel
    I blame Steam as they are supposed to be kind of official supporter (apart from Beamdog) and even though I udnerstand the situation, they should at least be in contact with Atari so they could inform that patch will be released a weak later or so, while customers aren't really offered a single thought on what's going on, if they are in touch with Atari or not... we were told nothing.
    As TJ_Hooker said, if there are no complains, nothing changes, why I believe there should be a change. And it's not like I expect them to release the patch the same minute Beamdog does, but I would like to know when I can expect it or just - as TJ said - make them ask Atari about the situation.
    edited March 2013
    Well if you look at the bigger picture Baldur's Gate is not steams only game, and it is not like they have not got round to it, it takes time, yes you bought it from steam and their support is there its just not to your standards. Now Steam will have to deal with complaints and messages all the time, to even think that they will get on top of something that was already in the process of sending out the files is just expecting a little too much in my opinion.

Steam would have to be a larger company with many more staff members to keep everybody for every game informed about every bit of information and make sure they hit every deadline without human error, communication is sometimes hard especially when it includes masses of people. I understand your gripe but to be honest it really is not steams fault.

Sorry to bring in the chef and restaurant analogy but when the food has not been delivered to the table is it the chefs fault or the waitress? the waitress cannot deliver the food if the food has not been completed or put out for the waitress to take, it would be waitress' fault if she had the food. (Steam is the waitress, it is client for you to purchase and download the game, they do not make the game and the patches) All I'm saying is if steam has not had the patches available why? have they been sent to steam yet? , if not, then who sends them? my guess is overhaul but like Aosaw said, Atari handles the patches so send them a complaint.
    not sure if you missed that part, but I told you that patch delay isn't the only issue - lack of information and ignoring the questions of the customers is the real thing.

and I said it before - I am Steam's customer and I have no real agreements with Atari, while I do with Steam, so I believe they at least should react when many customers keep asking the same question. Even simple "we'll try to contact Atari and keep you informed if only we get the answer". I am sure that would calm some people - at least I wouldn't feel completelly ignored.
    look at the bottom of the forums what logo do you see?
    But my agreement which is written on paper is directly with Steam and they are responsible for the product I paid for. It is natural that I contact the one who sold me something. When you buy carrots and want to complain on the quality do you look for the farmer and his wife or do you tell about it to the shop assistant?
    Look, this talk is getting us nowhere. I had a right - as a customer - to contact/make a complain to the one who sold me the product and they are the one responsible for it thus they should be the one talking to Atari. And that's all. If you want, continue the discussion but I'm not interested in "looking for the one to blame" - i just tell the person I bought the game from. If they are unable to contact Atari, then maybe they shouldn't sell the game. I'm not the one to make an investigation and that's a normal procedure when you're not happy with the product.
    Again, I had a written right to contact the one I bought the product from. If you consider that wrong -- well, it's your opinion and fine. Maybe you would do something else, and it's fine.
    And that's all. This argument shouldn't be continued as it is pointless and patch is now available anyway.
    TJ_Hooker