Skip to content

Why can't I cheat?

:) Whilst waiting for the last few months for BGEE for Mac I decided to fire up my old PC version - haven't played any of the series for 10+ years? - my party are all now up to about levels 7-9 and I am in the L4 labyrinth at Durlags Tower. My problem is that my inventories are full and it is getting a little tedious constantly shuffling the contents. The whole of L4 is strewn with gems/rings from all the dead Greater Ghouls and I have just discovered the vast store of gems in the compass room. I remember from playing the games years ago there were gem bags, scroll cases and bags of holding? but perhaps they were in the later games, so I have decided to cheat to acquire a gem bag/scroll case or two.

The only problem is it doesn't seem to work! I have altered my Baldur.ini file:-
[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\
CD1:=F:\CD1\
CD2:=F:\CD2\
CD3:=F:\CD3\
CD4:=F:\CD4\
CD5:=F:\CD5\
CD6:=F:\CD6\
[Program Options]
SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0
SoftBltFast=0
SoftSrcKeyBlt=0
SoftBlt=0
SoftMirrorBlt=0
Translucent Shadows=1
Path Search Nodes=4000
[GameSpy]
Region=0
[Program Options]
Volume Music=40
[Game Options]
Cheats=1
Memory Access=100
Footsteps=1
Weather=1
[Config]
CacheSize=140

Then I believe you do Ctrl+Tab in the game and you should get a console screen, except when I do it nothing happens, anybody have any ideas?

:) Then I need to know what to put in the console screen to aquire either a gem bag or a scroll case!

Many thanks

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemonium
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Cadellin said:

:) Whilst waiting for the last few months for BGEE for Mac I decided to fire up my old PC version - haven't played any of the series for 10+ years? - my party are all now up to about levels 7-9 and I am in the L4 labyrinth at Durlags Tower. My problem is that my inventories are full and it is getting a little tedious constantly shuffling the contents. The whole of L4 is strewn with gems/rings from all the dead Greater Ghouls and I have just discovered the vast store of gems in the compass room. I remember from playing the games years ago there were gem bags, scroll cases and bags of holding? but perhaps they were in the later games, so I have decided to cheat to acquire a gem bag/scroll case or two.

The only problem is it doesn't seem to work! I have altered my Baldur.ini file:-
    [Alias]
    HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\
    CD1:=F:\CD1\
    CD2:=F:\CD2\
    CD3:=F:\CD3\
    CD4:=F:\CD4\
    CD5:=F:\CD5\
    CD6:=F:\CD6\
    [Program Options]
    SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0
    SoftBltFast=0
    SoftSrcKeyBlt=0
    SoftBlt=0
    SoftMirrorBlt=0
    Translucent Shadows=1
    Path Search Nodes=4000
    [GameSpy]
    Region=0
    [Program Options]
    Volume Music=40
    [Game Options]
    Cheats=1
    Memory Access=100
    Footsteps=1
    Weather=1
    [Config]
    CacheSize=140

Then I believe you do Ctrl+Tab in the game and you should get a console screen, except when I do it nothing happens, anybody have any ideas?

:) Then I need to know what to put in the console screen to aquire either a gem bag or a scroll case!

Many thanks

The problem is the line "cheats" - it should be Debug Mode.
  • CadellinCadellin Member Posts: 12
    Debug Mode=1

OK, just tried that, doesn't work for me!
    Cadellin said:

Debug Mode=1

OK, just tried that, doesn't work for me!

Try putting it under Program Options rather than game options.

• ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Obviously get a second oppinion as my memory is a bit hazy on this - but were there bags of any kind in the unmodded version of BG1?.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Chippy said:

Obviously get a second oppinion as my memory is a bit hazy on this - but were there bags of any kind in the unmodded version of BG1?.

None at all, iirc. They were introduced in BG2.
    Debug Mode=1

Tried it after Program Options - doesn't work either :(
    Hang on, you said you were trying to activate the console with control and tab? It's control and space.
    Madhax
    Control and space pauses/unpauses the game :)
    edited February 2013
    Cadellin said:

Control and space pauses/unpauses the game :)

Actually that's just the spacebar on its own. Hold Control and Space together and it opens up the console.

http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/appendices/clua/bg2.htm (ignore the fact that it references BG2, it works the same for BG1/EE).
    :) Sorry, just to clarify, I am not playing BG1:EE, I am playing the original BG1.

I will be starting the EE version on my shiny new Mac at work next week :) - beats working :)
    Its exactly the same in BG1. Debug Mode=1 under Program Options in Baldur.ini, save the file, control and space to activate the console (it appears as a text line you can type into in the action log in the middle of the screen).

Really not sure why it's not working for you if you're doing all that!
    :( Tried it every which way but nothing seems to work, but thanks for the help.

Tried Cheats=1 under game options - CTRL/TAB - nothing
    Tried Debug Mode=1 under Program Options - CTRL/space - again nothing

Frustrating to say the least, especially as I have just come across loads more stuff to carry in a room near Islanne's ghost
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    Cheats are bad, m'kay.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    Here's the thread on how to enable the CLUA Console for BG:EE:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-manually-customize-your-game#p1

But note that a number of the old cheats aren't there now. I'm not sure what happened to them:
    Cheats:TheGreatGonzo()
    - Summons 10 killer chickens who defend you.

Cheats:FirstAid()
    - Creates 5 healing potions, 5 neutralize poison potions, and 1 stone to flesh scroll.

Cheats:Midas()
    - Gives you 500 gold.

Cheats:CowKill()
    - Creates a CowKill spell if you're near a cow.

Cheats:DrizztAttacks()
    - Creates a hostile Drizzt.

Cheats:DrizztDefends()
    - Creates a friendly Drizzt.

Cheats:CriticalItems()
    - Spawns all the game's critical items.

Cheats:Hans()
    - Moves your characters to a free adjacent area.
    This one
    Cheats:ExploreArea()
    - Marks entire area explored.
    is now

CLUAConsole:ExploreArea()
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    He is trying to use the console in vanilla BG1. The method he originally used should be correct, and it should work. Debug Mode under Program Options, and Ctrl+Space is for BG2. Unfortunately, even if it did work for him, there are no storage cases in BG1 (as someone already mentioned), so it wouldn't have helped him anyway.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Lol, that's what I get for skimming hastily. Thanks.
    :) OK, after a bit of 'googling' I find there are two Baldur.ini files and I was altering the wrong one.

One here
    C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate

And another one here (I have altered the asterisks)
    C:\*******\*******\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate

Altering the second version allows me to bring up the console...except I now get item doesn't exist!

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("bag02")

I thought the gem bag and scroll case were part of BG1, or have they been added in updates/patches?

If I patch/update my game will the old save games work?
    Cadellin said:

:) OK, after a bit of 'googling' I find there are two Baldur.ini files and I was altering the wrong one.

One here
    C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate

And another one here (I have altered the asterisks)
    C:\*******\*******\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate

Altering the second version allows me to bring up the console...except I now get item doesn't exist!

I thought the gem bag and scroll case were part of BG1, or have they been added in updates/patches?

If I patch/update my game will the old save games work?

Afraid they were only added in BG2, so while BG: EE has it, they didn't exist for vanilla BG 1.

TJ_Hooker
    Cadellin said:

:) Altering the second version allows me to bring up the console...except I now get item doesn't exist!

I already told you they don't exist.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    My baldur.ini file is in a really wonky format when I recently checked it. It worked before opening it with notepad but I guess it got changed around in one of the recent patches. I don't even use the console for anything I play clean but just thought it was peculiar

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    @EnterHaerDalis Actually it was Notepad that made it a mess. I suggest you delete it and allow the game to recreate the default ini file. If we're talking about the EE, of course.
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Contrary to popular belief, cheatersdoprosper :)
    :)

Not in this case :(
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    The wild Mage Comes with a gem bag? FYI
    TJ_Hooker
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Cadellin said:

:)

Not in this case :(

just in case it's taken out of context, it's the cheat code for IWD :)
    Knoland said:

The wild Mage Comes with a gem bag? FYI

He's playing vanilla, not EE.
    TJ_Hooker