Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• JudouJudou Member Posts: 12
    Still crashing with 3.5. Also happens with the equipment list box as well.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Judou, are you able to open save games?
    @Troodon80 Yes. Everything else works fine, just whenever I open the spell or item lists, the program will crash. Sometimes it's immediate, at other times I can scroll for a bit before the crash. This is in both BGEE and BG2EE, from EEKeeper .32 through .35 builds. I'll try a vanilla build without mods and see if it works, but didn't have issues with it until very recently.
    Tried with base game. Scrolled up and down the spell list, was fine. Opened inventory list, and keeper crashed.
    @Judou,

Could you zip and attach a save game where going to the inventory tab crashes?
    The spell list didn't crash before since the character was a fighter. I changed him to F/C with Keeper, and tried to add a spell. The spells list crashed the program.
    save.zip 479.4K
  • ThurlinThurlin Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    First off, thank you for a really nice tool for us old fans :)
    Now I'm also having trouble with EEKeeper 3.5 crashing when trying to add the gesen bow shaft to inventory after it gone poof.

If I have loaded a save game and go to the inventory screen of a character and choose a unused slot and then open the item browser the game crashes.

If I open the item browser without any game loaded it seems to work ok. But when i then load a game and try to go to inventory tab on character to choose a free slot it crashes. I once managed to actually get as far as assigning the item to the slot, see that it was showing in the inventory screen, but crashed before I could save.

I'm running Windows 10 Home and Steam.
    Installation directory: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\
    Game language: English
    Custom save directory is C:\Users\....\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save\

Any help would be great, thank you.
    @Thurlin, does it crash when simply highlighting an inventory slot, or when double-clicking (or pressing Change Item)?
  • ThurlinThurlin Member Posts: 2
    Troodon80 said:

@Thurlin, does it crash when simply highlighting an inventory slot, or when double-clicking (or pressing Change Item)?

It does not seem to be directly linked to any action as the crash can happen at various times. If I'm to quick to do anything at all after opening the item browser (with game loaded) it will crash almost right away. If I do nothing for a few seconds after opening item browser i can usually scroll it down to find the item i want, but then crash when i click the "assign to " button in the browser. It either crash after I leave the browser to go to the character window to find a open slot in inventory.

If I have found a open slot before i open the item browser then it tend to crash when I assign the item to the character.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2016
    Troodon80 said:

@danmon, on the Effects tab press Add. It will open up a new window with which to make any adjustments to the new effect. For 'Type' simply type in 42, it'll find the effect without you needing to hunt through the list. Instructions on using the effect are in the panel to the right in the same editor window. If you need any other help, let me know and I'll get the full step by step details on adding more spell slots. :-)

Yes please, could you explain in details.
    (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/764612/#Comment_764612)
  • Hawk52Hawk52 Member Posts: 1
    I can't find anything on this or documentation, but I want to change my PC's race to Tiefling but I don't know if I need to do other things. Does the race selection automatically apply the race's qualities or do I need to manually add them? I don't want to go changing things just to have the race kick in at level up and mess it up.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    edited May 2016
    Hawk52 said:

I can't find anything on this or documentation, but I want to change my PC's race to Tiefling but I don't know if I need to do other things. Does the race selection automatically apply the race's qualities or do I need to manually add them? I don't want to go changing things just to have the race kick in at level up and mess it up.

While Haer'Dalis in BG2 is a tiefling, his abilities were character based. You can change your race with EEKeeper easily, and I *think* the base resistances and such are "inherited" from elves (which come pretty close), but any tiefling-specific abilities you would have to add yourself.

I have made a few tiefling Charnames. Since I don't think all tiefling abilities are actually in the game I just gave them one or two abilities that fitted with my headcanon background for them, along with an ability score adjustment (I think they get a +1 to both CHA and INT).

I'm still hoping tieflings get fleshed out one day and selectable from character creation.

Edit: you don't have to be afraid of messing up because the race "kicked in", anything you add through EEKeeper should not be automatically removed at level-up just because it doesn't fit your race.
  • GhwerigGhwerig Member Posts: 3
    Thurlin said:

Troodon80 said:

It does not seem to be directly linked to any action as the crash can happen at various times. If I'm to quick to do anything at all after opening the item browser (with game loaded) it will crash almost right away. If I do nothing for a few seconds after opening item browser i can usually scroll it down to find the item i want, but then crash when i click the "assign to " button in the browser. It either crash after I leave the browser to go to the character window to find a open slot in inventory.

If I have found a open slot before i open the item browser then it tend to crash when I assign the item to the character.
    --

@Trodoon80: I'm experiencing the same issue. Although if I'm really fast I can manage to assign an item, save, load a BG and have the item.

However, the crash occurs not only when browsing through inventory items, but also using the spell browser (i.e. I can open it, but a crash whilst going through the spell list), and trying to add/edit affects (i.e. same deal: I can open the browser, but when I go through the drop down menu to select the affect I'm interested in, it crashes). I haven't checked the creature browser.

One thing to note is that I can use NearInfinity to e.g. make new items and these show up fine (again, if I'm fast enough).

I also ran a clean re-install (no mods or prior saves etcetera) and the crash occurred as well.

Is there already a fix?
    edited May 2016
    @danmon,
    danmon said:

1. Could you point me what is equation behind the slot modifier and spell level ?
    2. For example, if I initialize slot modifier = 5, how many slots are avaiable ?
    3. I saw that spell levels are powers of 2. What happens if the spell level is 64 ?
    4. When I scroll down in opcode 42, it says 'statistic modifier'. What is 'statistic modifier' ?
    Thank you!
    1. You can see a description of the numbers below and how they are made up.
    2. If you initialise the slot modifier to 5 and select a level from the table, you will get a bonus of slots on top of the static number of slots you should have. See next point for example;
    3. For example, if you use Slot Amount Modifier = 5, Spell Level = 64 (level 7), the you will have 5 additional slots on top of the pre-existing number of slots you have (let's say you have 3 to start with, adding 5 gives 8 total slots at spell level 7).
    4. 'Statistic Modifier' should probably be 'Slot Amount Modifier', but is likely listed incorrectly in the IESDP description file.
    After doing some digging, I realise the description for this is actually quite confusing. I'll edit the description for the next build.

Spell level bitwise OR. It's shifted left by one over each iteration for the number of spell levels (9).
    Spell Level Value Bit
    1 1 000000001
    2 2 000000010
    3 4 000000100
    4 8 000001000
    5 16 000010000
    6 32 000100000
    7 64 001000000
    8 128 010000000
    9 256 100000000

Ghwerig said:

Is there already a fix?

@Ghwerig, as of this time I have been unable to reproduce a crash on my end. I am working on making the code safer (to avoid buffer overruns and such), but right now there is no specific fix for the crash you are experiencing.
    @Troodon80

Ok, sorry to hear there's nothing jet, but thank you for looking into it!

One thing I should have mentioned: The editor does not crash if no save game is opened, i.e. I can safely use the item browser without crashes. The crash occurs when I open a safe game and attempt to assign an item to the inventory (or spells or affects).
    @Ghwerig, cheers, that might help me narrow down the issue. :-)
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    I cannot change my class from fighter/thief to mage/thief it no longer works , in fact changing class to any mage class causes my game to crash when i try to level up , any ideas ? this happens in both BG 1 and BG 2.
  • rnicknichrnicknich Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Can I re-add someone that left the party because of reputation conflict? I'm playing BG2 SoA and I wanted to do the Edwin scroll quest in the graveyard but he left before I reached the tombs. Now I cannot find him in the Copper Coronet anymore.

I did a quick search on this thread and found nothing similar to my problem. So, sorry if it has been answered before.

Thank you for the awesome program!
    @Lore, I'll get a chance to look into it over the weekend. :-)

@rnicknich, there is currently no way to do that. I considered functionality to add a character, either existing or custom, to the party but discovered there is no good way to do it. I'll need to do yet more investigation, but I would certainly like to include such functionality.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    @Troodon80 I managed to EEkeeper a Ranger/cleric to Theif/mage another character so maybe the issue is with the other character i have.
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    @Troodon80 I had the same issue as some of the others here with lists crashing the program and i think i found the source of the issue, or a key factor at least.
    In every list, it would crash as soon as you open them to add a certain thing, but simply starting the program as admin solved it for me. I'm on windows 10 fyi, and ive not crashed in any list since running it as admin so far. Hope that helps.
    @Liberelli, that's interesting. Might be something like data execution prevention, or similar (possibly eve anti-virus software) -- which would also explain why I cannot reproduce it on my end. I would still love to get to the bottom of what is causing the crash, though.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Are the games that are experiencing the crash under the C:\Program Files(x86)\ hierarchy? Try copying the game out to a new folder like C:\games\ and see if that makes any difference.
  • fishhead202fishhead202 Member Posts: 25
    I'm sorry for the newb questions, but I'm really looking forward to using this, and getting frustrated.

I've got EE and EE2 through Steam. I'd like to modify the NPCs. I'm looking at the instructions on this site, but nothing seems to line up.

During Set-up, I've run the zip, and made a new profile name.

The install directory I set to *.data. There are no subfolders as there seemed to be in the example.

I can't choose a language. There are no languages that generate in the drop-down.

I set the 'Save Data' to the same *data directory. I'm not sure if this matters.

SK doesn't seem to be able to read anything really, and I honestly don't even know what it's looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Just wanted some minor NPC mods to give their classes a big more character.

Thanks in advance!
    @fishhead202,

You'll want to find your game's installation folder. For Steam, that should be

*:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/
    To find out what the path is, the easiest way is to simply open up Steam, go to your library, right-click on the game you want (BG:EE, BG2:EE, or IWD:EE), select Properties, then go to the Local Files tab. On that panel you should find a button labelled Browse Local Files..., press that. It should open up the game folder and the path should show up in Windows Explorer.

Right click on the address bar and select Copy address as text. In Keeper, paste that path into the Installation Directory text box. User Save Data Directory should be (BG:EE, for example):
    *:/Users/[your name]/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/
  • fishhead202fishhead202 Member Posts: 25
    You are a scholar and a gentleman/woman. That did the trick perfectly, thank you so, so much. Looking forward to keeping the NPC interactions while having some fun builds.

@Liberelli
    @Troodon80

Ha, amazing! Opening as admin solved the issue (also on Windows 10 btw)!
    Why didn't I try this before...
  • Doc5thMechDoc5thMech Member Posts: 3
    EEKeeper is a great tool for save-game modifications. I tried the editor for monsters, and those edits were saved as mostly CRE files in the override subdirectory, (under the main Baldur's Gate II- Enhanced Edition) however, none of the changes seem to have taken place when I get back into the game. Perhaps I have to have the override subdirectory elsewhere as well, or should the saved materials be other than CRE, (ITM, SPL, BAM)?
    @Doc5thMech,

Creatures are generally embedded into area files when saving, so changes will only be apparent when those creatures are created from scratch (i.e. reload an earlier save game from prior to those creatures being created).
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    edited May 2016
    @Doc5thMech simply put, the creatures are loaded from their CRE files into the game as soon as you enter the area where that creature exists. After that, both the area and its contents are added to the game's subsequent saves.

I am unsure how this works with non-unique entities though, like generic Flaming Fist soldiers, as they are encountered in multiple areas but often come from a single CRE file. Do you have any insight on this, @Troodon80?