Skip to content

Will Kivan leave?

I'm replaying the game with some previously unused NPC's, like Kivan. My question is - will he leave eventually?

I've read some confusing things about his quest - apparently it was never in the final portion of the game, etc. I like to take my time with all the subquests before I head to the mines, so it's going to be a while before I reach bandit camp.

Will Kivan leave if I don't hurry up and finish bandit camp? Is there a timer? I'm paying BGEE on ipad, latest patch.

Also - I have Viconia in my party. Will those two definitely fight? Is tere a way to keep them both?

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    So far as I know, no, there's no timer for Kivan to leave if you take your time squashing the bandits. If there is a timer, then it's a very long one, because I've played parties with Kivan which took their time, and he's never walked out on me.

On the other hand, yes, Kivan and Viconia are scripted to fight, it's part of the game that these two don't like one another. Possibly if your Charname has high enough CHA then you can keep them together, I'm not sure, I don't usually have both of them in the same party for long.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i've had viconia and kivan together for ages now and while i've heard some bickering they're yet to fight. given what everyone else has said though...this will eventually happen

you would think that kivan would be in the right to hate the evil drow, but i definitely feel it's mostly one-way hate from kivan, when he dies viconia says something like "it's sad that kivan and i never saw eye to eye"

why all the hate kivan?
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    The only good Drow is a dead drow.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I've used Kivan many times and never had him leave. There is no bandit timer.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I'm pretty sure he left one of my parties in the past when I took too long going to the Bandit Camp.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    edited February 2013

I'm pretty sure he left one of my parties in the past when I took too long going to the Bandit Camp.

Maybe your reputation got too low? I don't really know, but I often recruit him first thing on my way to Neshkel. And then I explore thoroughly on my way back north, often taking 50 days or so before I reach the Bandit Camp, and I've never had him leave. Or even bring it up.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Kivan will leave after five days if you don't complete the Bandit Camp and reach Chapter Four. Before v2012, the timer would only start if you force-talked him, so most people never saw this.
    Oxford_GuyZalson
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    that must be something new because I know that every play-through I have had with Kivan it has taken a lot longer than 5 days to get to the bandit camp. I will routinely pick him up on my way past Bergost and then go to the Gnoll stronghold by way of Nashkal (maybe 5-6 days doing that alone), then down the mines (maybe another 3-4), then fully and thoroughly explore the lower maps (maybe another 15-20 days minimum). I will do all of that minimum before hitting the bandit camp. If that has changed, that seriously limits Kivan's usefulness.
    atcDaveElendar
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    But what if you are past Chapter 4 already?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yeah, it's a very strange decision by the devs to set the timer and make it so short. How on Earth without metagaming will you success in completing the Bandit Camp in 5 days if you take him after coming to the High Hedge at the start, before even going to Nashkel?

Travelling from one location to another alone takes much time.

I can't agree with this change.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Fafnir said:

But what if you are past Chapter 4 already?

Then you're fine.

Regarding the length of the timer, that was set in the original.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    You learn something new every day! Thanks for explaining, @Jalily, I guess I must have never force-talked to Kivan in the early stages.

But wow, 5 days is an extraordinarily short timer for a character who can be (and often is) recruited in Chapter 1 to reach Chapter 4. That's a bizarre decision, albeit by the original devs. It means that we probably shouldn't recruit him until we're on the way back from finishing the Nashkel Mine.

I wonder ... is it possible that the original devs deliberately broke his timer (by linking it to a force-talk as a quick-and-dirty workaround) when they realised that 5 days is far too short? Or otherwise, if they really meant it to work this way, then their intention must have been that he'll pretty-much-always walk out ... in which case, he was intended to be merely a throw-away character, existing only to teach players that subsequent recruits must have their quest requirements fulfilled promptly.