Skip to content

Amazing discovery! Overriding cre files without override folder and jailbreak

13»

Comments

• mormegil27mormegil27 Member Posts: 27
    edited February 2014
    Oh - unless 2da files can simply be edited using text editors? I've never tried - but will take a look:

Yes, ok, found it here at bottom.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/
    edited February 2014
    Ok, I found the backstab.2da file which should be what needs modifying. However, I have no Portraits folder in my Library folder. I guess I will add one manually and see what happens?

... tried it, and no luck. "backstab.2da" is now in the newly created Portraits folder, but the game doesn't recognize it. How does one normally get a Portraits folder?

... ok, renamed "Portraits" -> "portraits" and then restarted the ipad, and now it works! Not sure which of those solved the problem.

Thank you all again, folks!

I also note that Near Infinity v1.32.1 was able to read the game files.
    Post edited by mormegil27 on
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    Considering how easy it is to jailbreak and allows you to modify your dialog.tlk...I suggest doing it to be ale to fully mod your ipad version.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    Not everyone wants to go through the hassle of jailbreaking their iPad. I know I don't. And I'm no Luddite. For the average tablet user, I completely disagree that it's easy - it's not even straightforward.
    I agree with JackJack, I'm sure it isn't that bad a process to go through, but I just bought my ipad and it really isn't my primary app device. Laptops and desktops can do much more if you are really interested high-graphics gaming or programming. I'm not interested in voiding my warranty, etc, just for one random app.

Again, the solution in this thread is really elegant. Fantastic!
    lunar
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Ok. I modded my ipad.
    I installed scs per bg2ee as described above.
    I tried to use the override folder, but the existing override folder is not allowing me to putny file, and creating a new override folder in the library folder (the existing ine is in the baldur.app folder) didn't work, so I had to use the characters folder.
    It worked.
    lunar
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Pibaro said:

Ok. I modded my ipad.
    I installed scs per bg2ee as described above.
    I tried to use the override folder, but the existing override folder is not allowing me to putny file, and creating a new override folder in the library folder (the existing ine is in the baldur.app folder) didn't work, so I had to use the characters folder.
    It worked.

Cool! Playing scs on Ipad is fun! ^^ Creating a portraits folder would work, too.

PibaroCrevsDaak
    I'm having so much fun :)
    I just want to point the minor issues I found during the first hours of play.

- After a couple of minute I had a crash. Luckily it was the only crash I had so far, so I'm not concerned about that anymore.
    - Loading areas and savegame is slightly slower than the unmodded game (I'm using an iPad 2).
    - When enemy mages cast their prebuff, the game freezes for a couple of seconds.
    - "Secret word" spell has the "missing strings..." description.
    - A couple of time, in the exact place where I know I should find some enemies, there were no enemies. But when I returned (a minutes later) to that place, enemies where there.

As I said, very minor issues.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2014
    @Pibaro I use Ipad 2 too. I have similiar minor issues too.

The loading times are increased because scs uses very long scripts attached to every creature. Generating those scripts tax the system. Even on pc, those lags do occur.

The most problematic place so far is the secret enclave of Red mages in Neera's quest. Its entrance is located in Waukeen's Promenade. Loading time is very long there, because there are so many mages with heavy scripts all clustered together there. A real pain, especially if you need to reload frequently as the battles inside are rather challenging. Outside that area, loading times are still longer than normal, but not excruciating.

Game crashes after a very long play with no reloading done. I mean, if you keep playing non-stop for 40 minutes or more, Ipad will be too tired and its memory will soon yield as sooner or later your game will show black screen, and crash to main Ipad screen. If you haven't saved recently your game will be lost. Luckily it all occured after a major auto-save for me, so no big problems. I learned to save and exit the game in 30 minutes intervals, to prevent those crashes. But it is difficult since the game just sucks me in, immersion and fun factor is so high that I lose track of time easily. 'Damn! I crashed. How long have I been playing? 1 hour!? Whoa!'

Have you noticed any heating up issues with the back of the Ipad? After intense fights with lots of spell casters I noticed the back of my Ipad had a slightly high temperature, nothing to cause discomfort or burning pain but it was noticable. I guess scs scripts do really tax the Ipad2's meager system to the max. Still, it is not a big issue, as long as I keep exiting game within 30-40 minutes intervals.

Since dialog.tlk is not modified, spell protection removal spells (secret word, pierce magic, breach, ruby ray, etc.) all write nonsense text in their descriptions for me. Because scs edits these spells to be area-effect, and changes their text too.

When a mage prebuffs, it will freeze the game for a few seconds as the game works up its long script. Also if an enemy uses simulacrum or mislead, the game will freeze for a few seconds more because the illusionary clone is another spellcaster with its own, long script, so...
    PibaroCrevsDaak
    Thank you @lunar for the explanation.
    I have a thick cover, so I didn't feel the heating issue, but I'll test it this evening.
    All in all it was easier than I thought (surely easier than jailbreaking :D ) and with fewer problems than I feared.
    Raccomended to everyone :)
    lunar
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I've been trying to get SCS to work and after being seemingly successful it appears that only parts of SCS is working.

Is this to do with the case sensitive nature of the ipad compared to the PC?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I would be a bit careful with SCS - on my mac I have 2 areas with repeated crashes so far (Asylum perimeter and the woods before Suldasuckswhatever). 100% chance of crashing as soon as a creature appears (I don't even know what it is because it crashes immediately but it's happening at known spawn points). I could only pass via console. Ipad - no gameshow! :( Has anyone progressed beyond that on the ipad?
    jackjack