Skip to content

Amazing discovery! Overriding cre files without override folder and jailbreak

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2013
    Ooh, does making .2da files lower case really work? I gotta try this. I've done the same thing you did in regards to xp cap, and now in my game, my shadowdancer hit lvl 10 and stopped gaining xp at 161k xp. However mage characters continue to gain xp after lvl 9, and now are at 230k approx. I guess when they hit 250k xp and lvl 10 they will stop gaining xp too. Anyway, I just escaped from Candlekeep, have done ToTSC areas so not a lot of xp left to gain. Ofcourse, I've added quite a number of beholders to the thief maze to spice things up, that place is such a bore otherwise. An Iron golem to mercenary band down under the city, and four skeleton warriors to final battle area to simulate SCS version. SCS version of final battle can't be installed as it adds dialogue. I gave Semaj time stop and other high level spells and scripts to use them from BG2 game. Buffed Sarevok's stats and especially movement rate, and gave him a special sword with %2 chance of vorpal hit to simulate his Deathbringer assault. I was able to do all of this thanks to that little portraits folder. We'll see how it goes. ^^
  • TarantioTarantio Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2013
    I have the same result with the xpcap so I guess lowercasing doesn't work. It's just that I noticed that i lowercased the 2da files when i tried the istallation months ago so it seemed a resonable explanation of the why it didn't work for drrocksalt. By the way have you noticed that if you bi-class the shadowdancer at level 9-10 it can surpass the 161k limit?
    Chris81685
    It may be possible, and my shadowdancer may be willing to 'swing' that way (lol, bi-class!) but he lacks required stats and I heard dualling a shadowdancer required even higher stats than normal. (STR, CHA, INT etc. should be high in addition to DEX+new class's primer ability)
    edited April 2013
    15 in str i don't remember any CHA required stat and if you are sane the int is a must, the shadowdancer/mage is seriously OP.

Edit: sorry you are right there is also the 15 CHA requirement, but it's still a good option if you use the tomes and roll decent stats (with instant invisibility you can seriously dump CON and WIS)
    lunar
  • DrRockSaltDrRockSalt Member Posts: 4
    I'm still having no luck with this. Uppercase, lower case, "Portraits," "portraits," you name it. This shouldn't be an issue, but now that it's stumped me, I'm determined to get it figured out.

One thought I had: which .bif (or whatever) file are these stored in? Could we nab that file off the data folder, rename it to get it unzip-able, take the non xpcap related files, and then create a new .bif (or whatever) with our xpcap stuff and the default other files (I'm guessing, I'm not by my stuff)? If we stuff that in the portraits folder, maybe the files would be read in that way. Just a thought.
    edited April 2013
    try to add those 3 .2da in your portraits folder, it should work.
    Edit sorry i forgot 2 files
    lunar
    I owe you! This worked, and I'm not sure what the difference was. You had included an additional file (xpbonus), so maybe that was it? Thanks!
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Another chance i lose by having a Mac.
    Thanks to Tarantio, I got past the 161k cap. Unfortunately I now have the same problem of being capped at 500k for my FMT. Has anyone gotten past this, and if so, how?
  • BurbujaBurbuja Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys, I really appreciate this info.

I am way below you guys hacking/modding abilities, but I love BG on the iPad and am having a blast playing it.

My only problem is that I'm stuck on the 161k exp for my FMP, and I'd really like to keep developing him. Bags of holding and higher item stacks sound great too, but I'm mainly focused on the exp mod.

I'm sure you guys all understand exactly what to do from this thread to achieve this, but I don't. Can one of you explain step by step exactly what I need to do? I can't jailbreak because this is a family ipad and I can't jailbreak it just for BG.

By the way, I'm on an iPad 2 running the last version of iOS before the jump to 7 if it matters.

If someone can actually make this possible for me, I'd be incredibly grateful.

Thank you soooo much in advance!
    @Burbuja

You need a computer with Itunes and Ifunbox programs installed. Then connect your ipad to your computer. Open up Ifunbox. Ifunbox is a program that allows you to see folders of your applications. Find the portraits folder under baldursgate.app. Download the files @Tarantio has above, and copy them into portraits folder on your Ipad. Close Ifunbox, disconnect yout Ipad from pc, and launch the game, it should work.
    What if there is no Portraits folder under Baldur's Gate.app ?
    There should be, under library folder. If not you can create one via Ifunbox. (I don't remember if I created the folder or not, it's been some time) @Burbuja
    OMG it worked!

You guys are the Best! The Best!

Thanks so much lunar
    lunar
    Yep rock salt - me too capped at 500K (which is much better than the 161K).

Anyone find a way to keep going yet?
  • muleptonmulepton Member Posts: 4
    Apologies for the tread necromancy, but since BG2EE is now out, I have a few questions (the answers for at least two should be easy to check):

If you removed the XP cap in BG1EE, do the characters import with the correct (uncapped) XP into BG2EE?

Does the method for using custom portraits (create portrait folder with iFunbox/iTools, copy pics there) still work?

Does the portrait folder still work as override folder, eg. does copying the files that @tarantio provided above remove the XP cap in BG2EE as well?

Thanks if somebody could clear this up :)
    edited January 2014
    If you import a character with higher experience points than bg1 cap allows into bg2 it should work as no problem.

I am currently downloading bg2:ee on ipad and will do some mod testing but I don't see a reason why this method should not work. Will tell results later

Edit:it works just like in bg1 on ipad. Create portraits folder via ifunbox and use it as an override folder

As for the xp cap on bg2, it is already at 8million xp which is high enough that if you don't play solo or import and replay the same character you won't be able to reach the cap. 8 million cap puts all classes to lvl 31-40 range so there is little need to disable it methinks.Then again there were lvl 50 rulepacks and xp cap disablers from bg2tweaks mod, it should theoriticaly work here too.
    Post edited by lunar on
  • muleptonmulepton Member Posts: 4
    lunar said:

Edit:it works just like in bg1 on ipad. Create portraits folder via ifunbox and use it as an override folder

Cheers @lunar, thanks for checking that.
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    Post patch 1.2 & in BG2EE, creating an "override" folder in the Library folder of the app will work to add mods as well.
  • firebringerfirebringer Member Posts: 25
    nsr said:

Post patch 1.2 & in BG2EE, creating an "override" folder in the Library folder of the app will work to add mods as well.

That is awesome news. Now if we could just find a way to override that pesky dialog.tlk I think we'd be golden.

Well, that and I'm still struggling with getting my iPad 2 BG and BG2 to recognize custom soundsets...

• wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    Why hasn't this been officially stickied? I have scs and bg2 tweaks working in my ipad. That is a huge improvement over vanilla and I am sure other changes will work too.
    lunar
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @wolpak You have SCS in an un-jailbreaked iPad?
    @Pibaro I have it too, scs does not work %100 but most of the content and all ai enhancements work on an un-jailbroken Ipad. It works well enough. Check this topic for how to do. :-)
    Almost anything that doesn't require text updates work (and others will work, but spit out garbage for text, which is ok for me).

Almost all 2da files can be used (thus, you can remove multiclassing or other class restrictions). Many other tweaks work as well.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @lunar - Awesome! I was thinking about trying the Battle Enhancer mod instead, but the AI enhancements work, that's great. I assume anything that obviously relies on added dialog like "NPCs Wait at Inns" should be avoided.
  • greenfishgreenfish Member Posts: 84
    wolpak said:

Why hasn't this been officially stickied? I have scs and bg2 tweaks working in my ipad. That is a huge improvement over vanilla and I am sure other changes will work too.

Hmm using tweakpack with the current version of bg 2 ee.... I'm not so sure... I mean this one has some nastby bugs, will tweak pack adress those?

Invisible werewolfes instant kills, will tweak fix that for example?

Thanks

When I say working, I mean part of it. I haven't tested everything...mostly because I have spent too much time modding and not enough playing. The game will definitely pick up 2da files (which I am most concerned about) as well as other files that appear to change creatures and items and the like. It would be nice if we had more people test this out and post what they see working and not.
  • Chromatic5Chromatic5 Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2014
    I almost never login, here but I lurk on the forums everyday. Thanks to @lunar for finding this work around!

For the record, I've installed bg2 tweaks with the galactyon armor/robe component, the allow all races access to all multi classes, and whichever component allows my cleric mage to get 3 stars in dual wield. These all work flawlessly.

I've also installed the get all strongholds mod. It works for some, (fighter, mage, cleric), I wasn't offered the bard stronghold, and when I was offered the Druid and ranger stronghold I got some weird dialogue that I think was Haer Dalis's?

Maybe because I'm an elf? I dunno.

I've also installed portions of the spell revisions mod, which is working well. No saves for party members with otilukes sphere!

I really want ascension for the ipad. I hope a workaround for the dialog.tlk is found.....
    Post edited by Chromatic5 on
  • mormegil27mormegil27 Member Posts: 27
    Wow, you folks rock. If assistance can be given, I would like to mod the shadowdancer 2da file to fix the bug that forces them to have no backstab till level 9 instead of level 5. I follow all the info on the thread, but can someone recommend a good program to modify the 2da file specifically?

Or if a fix for this already exists, does someone have a link? Thanks.