Skip to content

Gay/Lesbian romances in "BG:2 EE"

Comments

• RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Frankly, I would be very leery of a character creation option to let a player choose their orientation, even if it were on the table. For one, are the only options straight and homosexual? Would bisexual be added in? Too ofen it's ignored. What about pansexual, asexual, and all of the other labels that people use? Can you have the option to turn off every romance? Can you tell the engine that you're not interested in half-orcs, whatever their orientation? I find some of the characterization in the Aerie romance offensive and unnecessarily exaggerated; could I have a feminist button to turn that off? And what if I decided halfway through the game that hey, maybe I was wrong about this character's orientation and want a shot at this romance after all?

The suggestion to give the player options in how NPCs are or are not going to interact with them just seems open-ended and immersion breaking. I'm not sure why telling the NPC you're not interested--or not recruiting them at all if it's that much of a problem--isn't an acceptable solution. It's certainly the realistic one.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited July 2013
    Until my last post i agreed with Jon ideas (have to read the new posts yet), then you come to refute it, i support it and then "poof!" i'm the villian of tiranny!

@Shawne, i could say the same about every post i made been taken as offensive/agressive/(or)/absolute by your "jugdment", but then, you would just disagree and refute this very post, so whatever, just take the compliment in the first part of the post and be done with it.

It's funny how something simple as a cursor limit to restrain romances is so averted and hated by homosexual and supporters. Before BG EE, when ppl requested gay romances, the speech "if you don't want don't use/pursue, it will not influence your game" was heavly used, now the same patern speech for a romance control cursor/button is used and then... the speech changes. Funny and convenient!

PS: i didn't saw in any moment any request for removal of gay/bi content or block of new gay/bi content, just to state.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited July 2013
    Seems to me that gay gamers see in RPG´s a backdoor

Oh, har dee har. I see what you did there...

Would we even know if a character was gay in a Medal of Honor game? Unless they blatantly had the character constantly focussing on the other male characters butts and groins. how would the player know? Maybe all of the Medal of Honor protagonists have been gay, but hiding it, pretending to like women to blend in. After all, lots of gay men have done just that- gotten married, even had kids. You wouldn't know unless the game blatantly stated outright that the character was gay- or had the character himself mention it. Maybe any women your character hooks up with are Lesbian, and are just going along to get along. You'll never know. These things DO happen in real life, after all.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @kamuizin: I've said it before and I'll say it again - making yourself out to be a poor, persecuted victim isn't going to fool anyone who can look up your past comments on this forum. I have nothing more to say to you.

@JonSnowIsAlive:

I am actually playing for both sides here, but you and your misplaced chivalry are obstinately trying to twist my words and make me look like a homophobic freak and a hater, which I am not. No way.

How exactly are you "playing for both sides here"? No one's asked for a toggle to disable heterosexual romances, presumably because they understand that if your character is trying for Dorn and Viconia flirts with you, you can just tell her "no" and the story can continue without the player being "traumatized".

I don't like to be called a hypocrite, my talk is not bullshit and I am certainly not puerile.

Your comments indicate differently. You are requesting a feature that will allow you to segregate content you don't like. And the content you don't like is specifically to do with same-sex romances. Rather than take the mature approach that has already been advocated in this forum - "Thanks, but no thanks" - you doubled down on wanting a button that would prevent you from ever encountering that situation. And in doing so, you've invoked characterization and storyline immersion and all sorts of things that, oddly enough, don't seem to bother you with the four women who could potentially "derail your story".

This - and really, I'm going to stress this again because you don't seem to get it - despite the fact that you will not be exposed to the content unless you trigger it yourself.

Everything you've said in this debate so far - everything - has been ill-informed conjecture about situations that you don't want to see happen, and which were never going to happen anyway unless you made them happen.

So for you to want an additional filter added on top of the existing triggers, just so you could feel safe from the scary gay content? I find that offensive, sir. And I respond in kind.

Why are you attacking me? Why are you taking this to a personal level? Why are you so angry? I am not responsible for any past trouble you personally (or as a group) previously had in life. Are you claiming to speak for *the people* as you say? This Schopenhauer crap will not work with me. Your quarrel is with me, do not try to make it some other group's war.

Facile psychology is a typical tactic for people who are on the losing end of a debate. I don't have any personal issue with you, I'm simply taking you to task for comments you've made on a public forum which I don't agree with. If you can't engage in a discussion - and you haven't, you've avoided every on-topic counterpoint I've made in favor of playing the victim card - then why persist?
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    @kamuizin

You say that "clearly the actual system isn't good enough, otherwise people wouldn't be complaining about the issue."

No. The reason people complain about this issue is that they are homophobic. There, I said it. No more dancing and tiptoeing around the issue.

Asking for a toggle to eliminate gay people from the game is homophobic. This is not an opinion. This is a fact.

How do I know this is a fact? Because you (and others) would not dare ask for such toggles for other types or classes of people (usually minorities), for (the justified) fear that they'd be called other type of Xenophobia.

If you were to ask for a toggle to eliminate black people, you'd be called racist. Because you would be.

If you were to ask for a toggle to eliminate women (especially adventuring women) from the game (because after all a woman's place is to stay at home), you'd be called misogynist. Because you would be.

BG does not have real world religions - but if it had, would you call for eliminating Muslims or Jews? And what would that make you?

The fact that @JonSnowIsAlive can not only ask for such a thing, but also claim that being hit on by a man is "deeply traumatizing", and in the same breath claim he means no offence and no disrespect, is not only a cognitive dissonance of epic proportions, it also shows not only homophobia, but a sense of deep deep privilege.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited July 2013

I thought orientation could be specified at character creation

Well, sexuality is not static. It can change for many reasons.
    Also, this option would kill the role playing component of the game. What if I planned to romance Neera with my straight male but then change my mind after seeing Dorn? I would be forced to play with a character in which I would not identify myself.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited July 2013
    @JonSnowIsAlive - Jon, I wasn't attempting in anyway to antagonise you. On the contrary I am simply trying to discuss with you a better way to see things.

The western world is only recently getting used to the idea that homosexuality exists in every day life, so it is logical to assume that there are still people, such as yourself, that will feel uncomfortable with this. With the same logic, it is presumable that there are a lot of ignorant, angry and violent people out there as well.

You have not in anyway advocated any violence or abuse in your discussion, and as I previously stated - I do not think you are a homophobe. A bit fearful perhaps and possibly ignorant to the real issues that exist, but not somebody who genuinely hates homosexuality.

What I ask you to understand, is that there are extremist homophobic people out there. Many with strong hateful feelings, who are willing to act violently and abusively. There are real issues away from gaming that can cause mental and physical harm.

Today, many people including children are growing up playing computer games. Underlying prejudices as simple as an 'anti-homosexual' switch in character creation, actually create clear distinctions between what people can consider 'normal' or 'correct'. Hiding them from certain people with the use of an option at character creation most certainly won't help things.

As long as this is the case, homosexual people will always be considered not 'normal' or not 'correct'. I mean imagine that for a second - growing up being told you are 'not correct'. Is this a way for people to be treated?

These kind of ideals fuel those who are more violent, more prejudice and more abusive - and instead of targeting those people who wish to harm those different from themselves, I truly believe we must eradicate this at the source and prevent it entirely - which would be popular media, such as: games, television etc.

As soon as people get used to the fact that this is normal, they will no longer feel uncomfortable and in turn perhaps we can completely remove this aspect of prejudice/abuse/violence from our world.
    It's unfortunate that or people agree and suport radical behaviors or they're labeled as enemies. No, i don't defend sides, i defend my point of view and what i see as just.

Most of this forum became a political correct place where radical people manifest, even shouting or offend other people, here i'm homophobic, among other radical people that deny homosexual behavior and see it as a disease i'm a "fucking" sympathizer (as they said).

So to end this bullshit, lemme put it straight, I WANT a button/cursor control for gay content, i'm not alone in this and if you don't like you can... cos i don't care. What i ask will not harm you but your hipocrisy will @shawne.

Obs: most of your posts could be labeled as offensive, just an advice. Of course being on the political correct side got you a lot of forgiveness from the readers.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Just a brief clarification: There is a marked difference between being "homophobic" (where you feel uncomfortable in the presence of homosexual behavior) and being "anti-gay" (where you feel active thoughts of aggression toward homosexual behavior and those who take part in it).

There is nothing personally wrong with being homophobic; the fear comes from not knowing how to respond to a sexual advance from someone of the same sex, not from any sort of hatred. A lot of people feel that discomfort, and it's perfectly natural to be uncomfortable with something you don't understand.

I see "homophobe" bandied about as an insult a lot, and really that's not how the word should be used. It should be treated like any other phobia: something that needs to be treated (not clinically) and understood, not antagonized. You can't always control how you feel, especially when it comes to being afraid, and it's important to be able to speak up about that.

At the same time, requesting (demanding? I haven't seen much demanding going on) that the thing you are afraid of be removed from other people's experiences, or relegated to a toggle, isn't a rational response to that fear. That's where homophobia bleeds into anti-gay behavior, and that's not "okay", strictly speaking.

But this thread is getting incredibly off topic. The original request was for romance options for same-sex relationships, and that's a request that is already being fulfilled. I haven't seen anyone in this thread disagree that those options should exist; only disagreement about how those options should be made available--which is a separate request, and should probably have a separate thread.

That being said, I will once more remind everyone that the site has rules about antagonism and bullying, regardless of your point of view. I see some "dancing toward the line" going on, so please be mindful of how you present yourself publicly. If you can't act respectfully in a thread, even in disagreement, then perhaps you should find another thread to post in.
    edited July 2013
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    @Dee

I do not mean to offend, but I think you need a new dictionary. Homophobia is not just "feeling uncomfortable around gays" (although that is certainly a homophobic emotion). Homophobia is a subtype of xenophobia on par with antisemitism and other form of racism.

For more, you can read this wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Speaking of Privilege... here is a wonderful video about that. Only tangentially related, because it's a "Men's Rights Agenda" thing, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZYbMOn1ZTI
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Protip: If you feel uncomfortable with characters of the same sex as your character hitting on you, don't play with the new characters in BG2EE. :) Fairly simple. Just don't recruit them.
    edited July 2013
    Homophobic by costume #Dee, (in every place i know) is to antagonize homosexual directed persons, as xenophobic.

I'm not homosexual, sometimes i look on homo content (as i exausted everything else in the game) but sometimes, as @JonSnowIsAlive said, it's hard to imagine or roleplay in my view point a cold heart Dorn being gay without spoiling my story. Just that.

Am i'm right? The answer doesn't even matter as it's MY playgame so MY way of think there should be respected. Who gave ppl right to impose me content or not?

I want a control content to use it when i see fit or not, other ppl want it to shut off gay content to them forever (and anyone who want, could shut off heterosexual content as well with it). So i ask, isn't their right to want it? To ask for it? It's ridiculous the tiranny of ppl in this forum when someone get aside from the political correct, it always a witch hunt!

If what i and other ppl want will not be implemented, as many says, why ppl care about the request? Why being agressive with ppl that did nothing else but asking for what they want? Should i be afraid now in ask what i think would make better my games, what would make me feel better? Isn't what is done in real life against many homosexuals?

Of course some people that prefer to be agressive will always see anything said by the other side, most specifically, people that don't agree with them, as lies and excuses, so make a good use of your time, to whomever fit this description and just ignore what is posted here.

We are all expecting there to be a Baldur's Gate: 2 Enhanced Edition, or whatever you are going to call it lol, but I was wondering if the Gender lock in romances (only straight romances) could be removed for some characters, now I assume it wouldn't be something to major to ask for as there wouldn't be many things to change (or so I am thinking at this point in time) such as changes in the text eg: "he" change to "she", but even if it is a challenge I'm going to assume the BG/Gaming community would respond well to this should you consider, and if you can not because of reasons with no exceptions, then I (and many others) mourn the loss of an enjoyable trait to the game.

As i support restrict limits for people who want it, i also support extend content of romances to both sexual orientations freely, while i feel it will make some romances fall from their role, as they're not wroten from the begin to fit a homosexual behavior, but with ATARI bankrupcy, many possibilities are made, and maybe, just maybe, more indepth changes and rewrites on original content are going to be freed to change and adapt romances for this intent.
    edited July 2013
  • NarcissistNarcissist Member Posts: 65
    At the end of the day, I have to ask. Why does anyone really care? Homosexuals don’t’ go around announcing they’re gay, just like you don’t go around telling everyone you’re straight. When it comes right down to it, people are people. If it turned out that Minsc was gay, that still wouldn’t affect my opinion of him as a badass, sword wielding ranger with a hamster friend.

When it comes down to it, I don’t get why people seem to think that being gay has to be the defining characteristic of the character. We don’t see Edwin being straight as his defining character trait, or Aerie, nor Jan, or any of the other characters that Baldur’s Gate is known for. Give me a compelling character, give them a solid backstory that’s consistent with Faerun, and make me care about them enough to recruit them again and again. Don’t make them “rare” or “overpowered” classes just so that I recruit them as part of a min-maxing operation.

Nobody is forcing anyone into a romance with those characters; it’s easy enough to deactivate the romance trigger. Just say the “wrong” thing in the game dialogue and move on.
    Kaeloree said:

Protip: If you feel uncomfortable with characters of the same sex as your character hitting on you, don't play with the new characters in BG2EE. :) Fairly simple. Just don't recruit them.

By one side people that doesn't want to play with characters that have homosexual romances have to skip them, therefore losing content, and by another side people who suggest a button/scroll to limit content, what let eveyone use the new content and by no way interfere in ppl right to pursue homosexual content is trying to take rights from others.

That doesn't seems reasonable.

@Narcissist if people doesn't care truly why this protest against the scroll/button issue? Just let it be as it will not restrain anyone in pursuing what they want. By banish this idea, people IS forcing people into a romance, a brief one obviously, but no matter it's still forcing people into a romance.

The button idea force nothing into no one, people that doesn't like the idea doesn't even need to touch the possible new feature, or could use it to block heterosexual content if they want also.

Many here fight the content control idea by think it as offense to their principle, an idea that apparently comes from view anything that doesn't support homosexual content as the idea of the enemy, so i ask openly, by seeing everything else that doesn't agree with your (the actual reader) ideas, how would understand, acceptance or reasoning be achieved? If reason and dialogue isn't an objective then there's nothing else to discuss about the idea or options for it.
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    @kamuizin
    The button idea forces an unnecessary and immersion breaking mechanic upon people who don't have a problem with same-sex content. It's a little reminder to the LGBT community every time you fire up the game that there's an option to erase you from it entirely. I'm not sure why you can't see how that might be hurtful to some people. More hurtful, perhaps, than not having the content in it at all.

If it bothers you that much, you can play with Dorn as a female character instead. Problem solved.
    edited July 2013
    Then i ask @Rhaella, unnecessary to whom? I feel it necessary and others also, as well.

And Force it how? If you don't touch the "button" nothing will change. a button/cursor by nature give options not orders, unlike what's being proposed as alternative (accept the content and say no at the first opportunity).

The problem is exactly in the personal emotional complex of many that project their angry and revolt against anything that doesn't follow their understand of what is right or wrong. should we take of any romance from the game to avoid hurt the feelings of any woman that has been raped and play BG? Should we remove romances in general cos someone is sexually impotent and romances remember them that? Should we remove gay content cos someone here was abused in childhood from someone of the same sex?

It's not reasonable impose restrictions to everywere in reason of the risk of hurt the feelings of part of the customers of BG EE. But if that's to be done, let's then implement content for every minority, otherwise a select minority will be choose to benefit of general changes.

By the way, except by a bard homosexual male playthrough (after exaust every other new content in BG EE) with Dorn in the party (which i didn't finshed as i didn't like much bards in BG), it bothered my roleplays in the begin when the game open the homosexual banters options with male characters for Dorn. So as you said i used most female characters to pursue evil playthroughs, what "limited" by nature options in my games (not a big problem as i enjoy female main characters, i pursued many times Anomen romance in BG2 for example, but still is a limit).

@Kaeloree i pursued Dorn romance to the end in BG EE with a female character and i can say without fear of mistake that his romance don't make any claim that he need to be bissexual. It's wroten well enough to allow homosexual romance for him also, but as no one is asking to remove the homosexual part of the romance, but limit it "personally" inside the pc of each player IF that player want will not affect in any way his behavior.

You made an assumption and gave your opinion about his bloodlust and homosexual behavior, i have a high degree of respect by you and all of your works as a modder (i'm serious in this), but i totally disagree. There's nothing linking his bloodlust to homosexuality, there's no causation or subjective bond between these features of his personality.

Ps: most games today have violence control slides, BG EE has an old graphic that maybe allowed it to pass as a 12 years age rating game, but being a game which copyrights are owned by HASBRO i highly doubt that unlimited levels of violence would be allowed by that company. By the way i believe HASBRO would have a similar opinion about sexuality restriction if the subject was brought to them, just saying.
This discussion has been closed.