Skip to content

"Let the Fates Decide" Game Journal (there will be major spoilers)

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013

You mention FR source materials. I assume that is Forgotten Realms as an AD&D Adventure World and the setting of various Fantasy Novels. I have one of the basic work-ups of Forgotten Realms in a traditional manual format which devotes 3-5 pages to each of @12+ regions beginning with The Dales. Do you know of any more detailed database developed by a Gaming Community of one sort or another.
    The chief source book for the BG1 geographical region circa 1368 DR is Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. You might want to Google this. ;) The book is now available again for purchase as an e-book via Wizards of the Coast, I believe.

There is also A Grand Tour of the Realms, the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for 2nd edition AD&D.

Last year Ed Greenwood published Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms, which gives a lot of local flavor to the Realms in an edition-neutral way (things that remain constant as FR evolves through editions). (I don't have this yet, actually. I've been meaning to get it.)

Ed Greenwood also has answered a lot of fan questions about the Forgotten Realms on the Candlekeep forum, and there is a compendium of those answers to be found here.

I use the Forgotten Realms Wiki quite a bit.

I sometimes refer to the 2nd ed. AD&D Monstrous Manual for descriptions of the monsters and their culture.

I do own Philip Athans' novelization of BG1; although I admit I have never actually more than skimmed it, and won't be using it for this game.

There are many FR based novels as well, but I think for my purposes in this game the FR setting source books and links above provide more than enough.

I've seen a thread here on this forum (here) about a NWN2 persistent world devoted to recreating the BG1 world. If you visit that project's website they may have links to materials about the setting. If so, how 'canon-faithful' it is I could not say.

...I am continuing to work on the idea of a Re-development dream for Beregost and how it might become a political and economic reality within other larger balances of power. I am particularly interested in whether local mineral and forest resources are already spelled-out/copyrighted. And also whether there are any particular former partially fortified Manor Houses on the site of now abandoned and possibly haunted Estates within a 10mile radius.

Also: Does Candlekeep have anything like Docks, Harbor Warehouses, etc??? Or do all its supplies arrive from N or S via the Coast Road...
    The Sword Coast in 1368 DR is a dangerous wilderness region teaming with monsters and bandits, with the few populations centers that we find in the BG series. In Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, Ed Greenwood writes however that "Readers should note that these wildernesses are studded with many independent holds, castles, and self-styled baronies not discussed here." I.e., it is left up to the DM to create whatever he or she wishes to add in, along these lines.

Anything beyond what the source materials provide is up to the DM, so you can flesh out Beregost and its surrounding area as you like--or at least you could if it was a tabletop PnP game.

Supplies to Beregost come via caravan traffic traveling the Coast Way, which is the name for the Trade Way between Beregost and Baldur's Gate. The Trade way extends all up and down the length of the Sword Coast, from Calimport to Luskan. It is the major overland trade artery along the western coast of Faerun. There are sea ports along the Sword Coast as well, but items arriving by sea are distributed via other routes from those ports. Beregost is well inland, so everything making its way there is by caravan.

In the 3rd Edition FRCS on pp 88-89 there is a map of the trade routes and resources for the Forgotten Realms. This would be the same for the time period in which the BG game is set. That map is followed by a brief section on Trade and Commerce in the Realms, although it doesn't go into great detail.

Here is a hand-drawn map of the Realms by a fan that works for the time period of the game.

Candlekeep does not have any boat access. You can read Ed Greenwood's description of the library fortress here.

Your RP concept sounds really intriguing. I suppose that in terms of game mechanics there's a point at which imagining things beyond what the game engine makes available to you becomes more and more of a stretch to put into practice. Eg, you can't literally add new buildings in, etc. Sounds neat, though!
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I love the randomness of the approach - and admire your restraint in metagaming. Looking forward to the adventures as they work their way north toward BG...
    edited April 2013
    Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun with it.

There's a lot that can happen on the way to BG city, so we'll see what develops.

As we know as players, the party won't be able to enter BG City. But they don't know that. If they do arrive at the bridge I'll probably have to use some creativity to augment the in-game reason for not getting access. (It's not a very satisfying explanation.)
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Ty @Lemernis. I have the Grand Tour manual and will get Volo's Guides. Love the hand-drawn map and will make my own version of a portion. I am a nut for Maps. Graphics from the Multi-Player ongoing game (which I gather is something like World of Warcraft?) are really Top Drawer and significantly change my RPing of the original 'circuit' inside Candlekeep. The Wiki link and Candlekeep Compendium [featuring Ed Greenwood's comments over a decade] are Very much appreciated.

Inspired now. ~~Over many years I have been dreaming up my own Game-World based upon the Premise of a typical Sword&Sorcery setting in which the Prime Secret is that the Planet eons/ages ago hosted a Top Secret hightech Galactic colony aiming to tap its powerful Magnetic Field for critical disruption of a nearby Hyperspace Worm Hole.

This BlackOps Project was blasted by The Others and the Prime Bodhisattva level Wizard serving as focal point for the Hyper assault managed to preserve his existence~~in the Nova-like energies released when the "Field" collapsed~~but he has been trapped inside a Neutron Shell for 20,000 yrs and is now pretty much a "Poisoned Dragon."

Looking forward to see how you play Kivan and perhaps Viconia if the Runes fall that way..

Already the consideration of what might be involved in attempting to build a life in Beregost is helping to flesh-out what kinds of motives/desires/fears might be sufficient to propel various PCs along a mainstream Canon Path.
    edited April 2013
    Our Return Journey to the Friendly Arm

Not far from Beregost we were ambushed by a band of five bandits. They struck at us with bows each from different locations surrounding us, and with a terrifying suddenness. Kivan and Khalid were both injured by the first volley of arrows.

Jaheira called out for us each to charge one attacker. We all dashed towards them with our melee weapons drawn. This included me with my quarterstaff and Imoen with her short sword and buckler.

Before I charged the assailant nearest me I attempted to Blind him with a spell, but the effort failed.

Our overall strategy seemed to be working, however. The strength of their ambush tactic lay in shocking the victims into chaos, and use of their bows—we had removed that advantage. The bandits perhaps sensed that their plan was now in disarray. The ones who seemed to be getting the better of it ran to seek the aid of their fellow brigands, perhaps hoping to fight back-to-back. Two of them each fled from Kivan and Jaheira, respectively, and toward the bandit who was fighting Imoen. As they did, they also attempted to switch to their bows.

Jaheira and Kivan were having none of that however. They pursued the fleeing bandits relentlessly and forced them to use their swords instead.

The one I attacked seemed unimpressed at my efforts. He literally gave me his back and re-equipped his bow to shoot at Khalid, who was trading blows with a foe who thus far had resisted the impulse to run.

That was the break we needed! It opened an opportunity for me to cast a spell. For now three of the enemy to my right were clustered close enough together for me to cast the Slumber spell upon. Two of them succumbed to it. I then took up my staff again and swung at the bandit who had fired (and missed) at Khalid, landing a solid blow to the back of his neck (I was trying to hit his head). That got his attention I daresay! He slung his bow over his shoulder, drew his sword and thrust it at me again. Still, I kept him at bay with the greater reach of the staff.

Apparently the success of my spell bolstered everyone’s morale. Kivan swiftly skewered his sleeping foe with the spiked end of his halberd. He then switched to his bow and fired upon the one who was fighting me.

The enemy fighting Imoen had also fallen prey to my Sleep spell which freed her up to use her bow. At the sight of Kivan using his bow, Imoen too switched to her short bow, and also aimed it at the enemy I was fighting.

Jaheira turned her attention to the sleeping enemy at Imoen’s feet and crushed his face with a vicious blow.

Khalid let out a mighty yell and struck his enemy in the head with such force that it sprayed his brains across the field. [I.e., he rolled a critical hit.]

Imoen’s and Kivan’s arrows then struck down the bandit that I had managed to hold off (and now had even injured!) with my quarterstaff.

Our tactics had prevailed against at what first seemed could well be our slaughter. Kivan smiled at me with a grudging look of respect. He seemed quite pleased with what he had just witnessed.

We all commented on Kivan’s impressive fighting skills. To this he gave no response, however.

Imoen and I gathered the bandits gems, gold, swords, and bows. Jaheira and I healed Kivan and Khalid from their arrow wounds.

[This party is not at all inclined to take scalps. They know nothing of Vai’s offer to purchase them. I don't see them removing scalps even if they did.]

We moved forward by tracking parallel to the road in the wilderness, with Imoen and Kivan both scouting ahead. We slew a lone kobold this way.

A bit further along we encountered a pair bandits which Imoen and Kivan snuck upon and surprised with melee weapons. Kivan’s foe ran from him and tried to switch to the bow. But Kivan chased him down and killed him with his halberd. Kivan then used his bow himself to aid Imoen, and together they slew that bandit. Again we stripped the slain of their valuables.

The cloudy sky had been darkening, and at this time it a windy, driving rain began to fall. This was fortuitous, actually, for it helped Imoen and Kivan hide better.

Not far ahead Kivan treated us to a display of his marksmanship. Concealed from within the trees he stealthily picked off four gibberlings rapidly, one by one… almost with a single arrow for each (the last one he missed with the first shot but killed with his second).

As Kivan scouted ahead he signaled us forward but we were perhaps a bit too clumsy. A single gibberling charged us in a rage. But Kivan swiftly felled the creature with an arrow before it had taken even three steps.

Kivan continued scouting forward and we heard an ominous growl. Only a moment later Kivan whistled for us to advance. To our amazement a softly growling wolf stood at his side, which Kivan petted on its neck. Kivan said nothing and advanced with his new companion. Jaheira whispered to me that a ranger can communicate with animals, and evidently the creature had agreed to help him. She added that such relationships are often not long lived, however, so we should remain vigilant as to whether the creature may eventually become hostile.

[At this point the party is standing right next to the Ring of Protection. Do they notice it hidden in the nook within the rock? Black card = no.]

Kivan whistled again for us to proceed. The elf and his new fellow scout again explored ahead for us. We continued in this manner for quite a ways. But eventually, Kivan noted that he could see that the wolf was reaching the edge of its territory. He knelt down and whispered to his canine friend who then gratefully trotted off.

Our journey continued without incident until we arrived at the Friendly Arm Inn by so late at night that dawn was not far off.

And this time Imoen scouted ahead at the steps! No ambush awaited us, fortunately.

I needed to rest in order to prepare my spells, as I had spent both memorizations in the bandit attack just outside of Beregost. I also needed to identify the enchantment on the ring Mirianne gave to Imoen, and required a spell for that. So we rented a room and rested.

Jaheira and Khalid seemed to be getting on well with our new comrade, as I listened to them talk (well, mostly Jaheira) while drifting off to sleep. Jaheira related some of her experiences of life in the forests of Tethyr, and both she and Kivan lamented Amn's deforestation.

I awoke after a good nap and meditated to prepare my spells.

After our rest period I was able to determine that the ring gifted to Imoen confers upon its wearer increased hardiness to withstand physical attacks. I was very happy to see Imoen get such a protective item. In order for her “to sneak good” she insists on wearing no armor. She has only a buckler and her agility to protect her from weapons in a fight! (This ring helps me worry only just a little less about her. But every little bit helps.)

We sold the gear we had collected from the bandits for a decent sum. Our purse now contained quite a bit over 400 pieces, and we were already well stocked with ammunition. In addition to the bows and swords we took from the bandits, they had some jewelry and gems, and a spell scroll that I cannot use (the spell to Armor its caster).

Before departing the inn we had a bit more discussion at a table, reliving our battle on the road with the gang of bandits. I praised Kivan for his obvious skill with the bow, the halberd, and his prowess at scouting. We were all very, very impressed, I said! This comment was accompanied with nods of sincere agreement by the other party members.

Kivan had little to say in return. He simply commented that the rest of us looked to be up to the challenges before us. He included an afterthought that I had surprised him. But that was all he would say.

The talk turned to fighting tactics against various types of foes, with this weapon or that, which held less interest to me. I surveyed the room to see if anyone at the inn might be enlisted to aid us on our journey to Baldur's Gate.

The apparent half-orc sellsword we had seen on our first visit was still at the inn. Perhaps he had made himself a fixture at the Friendly Arm, protecting travelers for a fee I mused. He sat at a table nursing a flagon of drink. The expression on his face bespoke a disdain for the commoner tavern patrons surrounding him. I felt little doubt that he would be one who lives for the thrill of battle, and would indeed take pleasure in it. I asked the group what they thought about him.

After a moment of eyeing him, Jaheira was the first to speak. “No doubt capable,” Jaheira remarked. She then took a swig of her ale. “But not to be trusted,” she added.

“I would a-g-g-gree with that assessment,” said Khalid.

“He gives me the creeps!” Imoen shuddered.

Kivan merely glanced at him for a moment or two as the other spoke. “Why do we care?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” I said raising a glass of wine to my lips. “He looks to be for hire to protect travelers on the road. And we have a bit of gold now…”

“Are you suggesting that we should hire him?” Jaheira asked incredulously.

“Look at him. My guess is he could probably kill two men at once, perhaps more,” I responded. “But I don’t have a strong feeling about it. I just felt it worthwhile to voice the idea.”

“I’m not for it, Oracos,” Imoen said flatly.

“Neither am I!” Jaheira added with a laugh. She then smiled at me reassuringly and with a somewhat more respectful tone added, “We really don’t need another member in this group. You don’t think we’re taking care of things well enough?”

I pointed out to Jaheira how handily we had dispatched the brigands who attacked us seemingly from nowhere with the addition of Kivan to our ranks. But I responded as well that her instinct was probably on target. I concurred that the half-orc did indeed appear perhaps a bit too ruthless looking to be trusted. I was content to leave it at that. And in fact I did not have a strong sense about it one way or the other.

With that, we drained our flagons and glasses, and pushed away from the table to depart. A nap, spell meditation, and the wine had raised my spirits a bit. We had a strong new ally with us, in this formidable elf. As we strode outside onto the steps at the entrance I was feeling pretty good.

“We would be wise to buy some potions at the temple from Gellana,” Jaheira observed. She was right, and there we went.

Once within the temple, as we looked at the potions I recalled that we had seen that bandits sometimes use poisoned arrows. Jaheira and I could heal wounds but poison we cannot stop. So we purchased two potions of poison antidote. We also bought one healing potion to use in an extreme emergency. That left us only 28 gold pieces. Hopefully purchasing the potions was a prudent move.

The potion of healing we gave to Khalid. And one potion of poison antidote we gave to him as well. The other vial of poison antidote we gave to Kivan. We were initially going to have Jaheira use it. But she declined. She felt that instead Kivan should have it. He may well find himself in hand-to-hand combat more than her, she suggested. Moreover, given Kivan’s choice of weapons he lacks a shield, which she does have, to block arrows.

We made our way back to the fortress gate,. As we began to make the turn to continue on the road, Kivan bid that we halt.

“I recommend that we leave the road and travel through the woods instead,” he said.

This suggestion took me somewhat by surprise. Jaheira studied Kivan’s face carefully, but his expression remained impassive as ever.

I cleared my throat and I considered how I might tactfully frame my concerns. “Is traveling through the woods actually safer than the road?” I asked in all sincerity.

“If I’m leading you it is,” he answered. “Not on your own.”

Jaheira glanced for a moment at Khalid, and he back at her. They seemed more curious by this suggestion than alarmed.

Imoen bit her lower lip and seemed slightly unsure. But her apparent indecision lasted only a moment. She quickly beamed a smile. “Yep, I trust Kivan to lead us through the forest,” she said. “But don’t forget, I can help by scouting too. I’m gettin’ pretty good at it!”

I looked now to Jaheira and Khalid for their response.

“I think this may be wise,” Jaheira said beginning a little slowly, but sounding utterly sure of herself by the sentence's end. Khalid slightly arched an eyebrow at her statement but nodded with a look of thoughtful approval.

They all then turned their gaze to me.

“A consensus seems to have formed ahead of me,” I laughed. “But I do not doubt your skill as a ranger of the wood, Kivan.”

“Shall I lead the way now?” Kivan queried.

“Ehm, well, yes… lead on then, I suppose” said I. As I said this I observed a faint smile shared between Jaheira and Khalid. It was tempting to read into it, and I tried to resist the impulse… Perhaps they were glad that I had for once not cast runes! Bah, whatever it be... It seems sensible to avoid the road in an apparently capable ranger’s care.

“The forest is this way,” Kivan said, as he began walking east along the fortress wall.

Red Card coming! I feel it~~ [Is this mostly first draft compostiton or what? Well written!]
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Hmm? Is your party full?

Oracos
    Imoen
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Kivan

Why not invite a token evil party member? :]
    edited April 2013
    @Eadwyn Lol, re: the cards I'm really hoping! And yes, I'm basically just pounding this out as I go. Right after I post I do usually go back over an entry at least once to tidy it up. Once it's all finished, if I like the story enough maybe I'll polish up the whole thing.

@Iecerint Yeah, as a player I'm really hoping to add an evil party member next. But the characters seem to be taking on a life of their own in the roleplay, so I'm letting that go where it will.
    You'd be unlikely to head down to where you'd recruit him, anyway.
    edited April 2013
    Some comments about the last couple of entries:

The Kivan and J. & K. Alliance

I felt that in order to play Kivan faithfully to his own quest, he would be hellbent to get at Tazok.

Kivan is Chaotic not Lawful, remember. As Chaotic, he is not a type that is inclined to feel bound to his word. But even the agreement he struck with the entire party, it was was not some sort of total pledge of allegiance to them.

The deal that Kivan made with Khalid and Jaheira was in the same spirit.

Now for Kivan to selfishly risk the party's lives as he did to get at Tazok (i.e., he deliberately got them captured) is something that I think is in character given the depth of his yearning for revenge. But that act is something that could arguably result in Fallen status as Ranger. Rangers are sworn to protect innocent travelers in the woods! That was hardly an act of protection.

Jaheira might have helped him rationalize the choice, as ultimately an act of protection. I.e., the notion that they must find and kill Tazok before he kills them. And I think Jaheira would actually believe that it is justified. So Kivan perhaps could be vulnerable to be led astray here. But nevertheless the act of intentionally getting the party captured was imho a failure from the Ranger ethos standpoint.

If Kivan remains in the party after all this, I may well EEKeeper him to Fallen status. I'm curious what others think about that.

The Bandit Boss Tent Battle

Thank goodness I turned a red card to get the Ring of Wizardry! (In case anyone is wondering, I haven't fudged the cards. Even when it makes things tough, the game will ultimately be more fun if I keep to the method.) I think it would have been extremely difficult to win with just two spell slots. (I suppose one Blind and One Charm could have done it, though.) Anyway, the increase to four spells made it more easily winnable.

And for that battle, rest assured, I did have to reload quite a lot. Without neutralizing the enemy mage there is really no chance of a party such as this one winning. (Unless enough of them save versus Horror.) The enemy wizard saved repeatedly against Charm and Sleep. But Blind worked about half the time.

I should add that I had a number of tries where only the PC remained alive, and he fled; but once outside the tent he got pursued by the attackers from in the tent, and then was killed by the Blacktalon archers patrolling outside.

Eventually, it became clear that the best shot at success was to Blind the mage. (If this was a SCS game the mage may still have cast Horror despite being Blinded. But this is vanilla EE.) Once I got the mage Blinded the rest was fairly easy.

I wasn't surprised at fatalities. I was lucky to have only one. As it was, I think the RP of Kivan carrying Khalid over his should for a 16 hour hike is Ranger-like and believable in terms of the RP (plus Kivan's extraordinary strength). But if I had come away with, say, all but the PC, Imoen, and perhaps one other alive, I don't see them trying to lug multiple bodies back to the temple. There would have been a party reformation then and there.
    Why would Blind be more effective than Sleep? Am I completely misinterpreting that Sleep gives -3 to saves vs spell?

I note with interest the choice of generous reloading during the critical encounters which advance the gamestory -- as a counterpart of not freely embarking upon all sorts of XP-building side-quests in classic adventure for its own sake style.
    Sleep or Charm would actually be at least as effective, if not more, I agree. But for some reason (at least in my game) the mage in that tent was repeatedly saving against both Sleep and Charm. For some reason he was succumbing to Blindness about every other time. Maybe it was just a fluke of the dice, though.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Given that you have determined (as the player/dm) the RP motive behind Kivans (and J&Ks) actions getting into the bandit camp (as I recall there were no cards drawn to determine these actions). It would seem to follow that you (as the player/dm) having deemed it it to be subterfuge to accomplish their own agendas while placing you and Imoen in considerable danger without warning you of their intentions.

I would say that making him fallen would fit the role you have scripted for him - if you do so perhaps there will come a time when he can regain his status through some action (perhaps determined by a card draw) and perhaps J&K may also find a way to regain your trust (per card draw?).

Alternately of course you could (as player/dm) decide to reform the party going forward as a result of thier actions (with or without a card draw ).
    Yeah, I felt I had to kind of run with the RP motive angle pretty heavily in this case versus using turning cards. (They must complete chapter 3 somehow.) And it seemed to open up an angle for Kivan that I had never even considered, so I figured why not. This gaming method is intended to shake up the standard rote way of playing the game, and get it moving in unusual directions, so it seemed like a fun opportunity.

It's been kind of a long time for me with some of this D&D stuff. If a Ranger Falls in a tabletop game, can he or she ever redeem themselves and regain the former Ranger powers? Or is the Fall irrevocable? Not that I'm bound by 2nd ed. AD&D PnP rules in this game. But I'm curious what the rule is on that.
    As I recall both fallen Paladins and rangers get a shot at redeeming themselves in BG2 by completing personal quests - don't recall details...
    You could draw a card for traveling NSEW.
    edited April 2013
    True, although earlier in the game Oracos consulted the runes to make a choice between hiding out either in the wilderness or Baldur's Gate. (Gorion had said he planned for them to do one or the other before they departed Candlekeep.) The runes then pointed them toward Baldur's Gate. And this is what both Oracos and Imoen want to do as well. They thought they were headed there when Kivan and Jaheira fooled them, and took them on a hunt after Tazok instead. But now they really want to get to BG city in order to try to hop a sailing vessel as far from the Sword Coast as they can get.

But definitely, had the card flipped back then resulted in an answer from the runes to hide out in the wilderness, I would then have rolled 1d4 for NSEW for sure.

So anyway, now they're hoping to hide out in BG city. When they learn they are denied access they will have to decide what to do. And they might well then resort to plan B to hide in the wilderness. But we'll see what happens. They're about to happen upon Ajantis, and I think it likely from a RP standpoint they would want him to join. (No need to flip a card there. Oracos, who looks for signs and omens to begin with, was looking to hire someone anyway. Now here's a paladin... The only problem is he wants to eradicate bandits... I have no idea how that RP will take shape yet.)

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Sooooooo glad that this returned. Makes BG seem new again :)
    From Oracos's POV, it might be that the runes told him to go to BG precisely because doing so caused the chain of events that led to Kivan and Tazok. Hence, the utility of that divination reading could be deprecated.

That was how I had inferred things to go, anyway.
    Yeah, you're right Iecerint. He did tell Kivan something very much along those lies when they met, too. Hmm. All that did get just a bit muddled.

Well, Oracos is Chaotic, don't forget, lol.

They will probably turn soon to hiding in the wilderness. I'm looking forward to seeing how creatively the runes can be put to use, above and beyond what direction to explore.
    The fishing village 4 hours south of the bridge into Baldur's Gate... is the body of water there supposed to be a river? Geographically, it doesn't make sense that it would depict the River Chionthor (it's way too far south). I guess it could be a tributary river that's not on the map? Or a maybe lake? A lake would get fished out pretty fast, though. I suppose a tributary river is the only thing that makes sense for it... The sword coast is uncharted wilderness, etc.
    The BG map doesn't match up very well with the "official" map of Faerun - there's a portion of the Faerun map posted by the pocketplane group showing most the the areas covered in BG here:

http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/faerun.htm

On this map the bridge over the River Chionthor is situated in a north south direction which would put the the fishing village to the west of the bridge instead of south - I suspect the devs just took some liberties with the orientation of the game map and that the major body of water at the fishing village is indeed the River Chionthor - and that perhaps they simply travel down the river to the sea.

You can see some major differences in the orientation of the Coast Way road between Beregost and BG City as well which also suggests the BG Map has been considerably altered from the Faerun map and was probably never meant to be a "true" representation of the official Faerun one but was just to facilitate gameplay and fit the areas they wished to use in an easy to navigate and display fashion.

• StuperStarStuperStar Member Posts: 10
    more please
    edited April 2013
    And Then There Were Three

Neither Imoen nor I slept well, although the night was mild, our fire warm, and we felt relatively secure next to the great bridge into the city. I, at least, tossed and turned. Imoen shared that she barely dozed.

Our plan to board a sailing ship to some distant land is now dashed—at least for the time being…

I simply do not know how to keep us safe! It seems a fair bet that we will be pursued by more assassins. We must hide out somewhere, deep in the woods perhaps as Gorion had suggested. The only solution I could see was to turn to my runes.

Now, where shall we go?

I would use the hallowed Rule of Five. Five times I would consult the runes. Each casting of the runes would direct us to one of five waypoints. At the fifth we should discover something crucial about how best to negoitiate our predicament. There we shall find a powerful omen about how to survive, if I have but the skill to see it.

[Which direction shall we travel first? roll 1d8 where 1 = N, 2 = NE, 3 = E, 4 = SE, 5 = S, 6 = SW, 7 = W, 8 = NW. Result: 5 = South. They travel due south.]

[Which of eight waypoints along the Coast Way south? Roll 1d8 where 1 = fishing village (4 hours), 2 = Friendly Arm Inn (16 hours), 3 = Crossroads (36 hours), 4 = Beregost (60 hours), 5 = South Beregost Road (84 hours), 6 = North Nashkel Road (112 hours), 7 = Nashkel (148 hours), 8 = Nashkel Mines (192 hours). Result: 5 = South Beregost Road.]

The runes I cast showed that we must travel due south for two days.

I already know that I must recruit anyone I can who seems trustworthy to aid us. This land is far too perilous for Imoen and me alone to hope to survive for long. Hopefully our travels will lead us to someone who can help us!

I shared with Imoen the results of my divination. I don’t know if I expeted anything from her at that point but she was uncustomarily quiet. We looked at one another for a moment, mirroring, I think, mixed feelings of puzzlement, wonder, and fear at how in the world our lives had led us to such an utterly bizarre circumstance. Or perhaps I was merely seeing my own reflection, and Imoen’s mind was somewhere completely different. But in either case, Imoen then broke into a laugh.

“We’re gonna make it Oracos, you’ll see!” she said with what seemed a genuine faith. This did indeed make me feel better, if for no other reason than I was relieved to have my best friend as a companion to share this harrowing adventure with. I smiled back, but said nothing, and nodded. She smiled back and patted me on the back. It seemed we were in silent agreement that our fates were truly in the hands of the gods.

“C’mon ‘Racos. Let’s get goin’. We got a looong way to walk ahead of us!” Imoen said.

And so we departed from the foot of the great bridge south along the Coast Way.

As always, Imoen scouted ahead. Only two hours into our journey we we attacked by a pack of wild dogs, that we were able to back off from without a fight. It took every bit of inner strength we had to avoid the instinct to flee. They followed us for a bit, growling and menacing. But before long they lost interest in us, perhaps deciding to turn their attention to easier game.

[Note: Oracos and Imoen ran in-game. But this bit is to add a touch of color in the story. They didn’t fight. But would they actually be able to outrun a pack of wild dogs? Um, probably not.]

We continued south, again following the tributary river adjoining the farm land with the ankhegs. Along the way we made the gruesome discovery along the river’s shore of a half eaten woman, an apparent victim of the ankhegs. Oddly , though, it reassured me that we had made the right decision about Ajantis. We both agreed that we couldn’t get through this region fast enough!

Through a copse of trees along the shore we spied a cavernous hole in the earth amidst a planted field, where it appeared that the land itself had collapsed into the earth. An ill omen indeed, it seemed to me.

We saw some fishermen working on their nets in the small settlement, but they were clearly not adventuring types. Not what we’re looking for. And we have a destination to reach.

[On passing through the fishing village do residents speak to Oracos and Imoen? Black card = no]

We continued south past the Friendly Arm Inn without incident. At the crossroads of the Coast Way and the Lion’s Way, Imoen spotted a couple of gibberlings that we elected to bypass.

We arrived in Beregost after two and a half days travel. At the Thunderhammer smithy we sold some gear that we had stripped from bandits that we had killed. We were within sight of the Song of the Morning amd Imoen begged that we go visit Neera.

[In the last two days Neera has cast three spells. None resulted in wild surges (i.e. no 20’s rolled on a 1d20 for three rolls).]

[Did Neera leave this morning before their arrival? Black card = no]

I agreed that would be fine.

We came upon our friend as she was sweeping the courtyard to the temple entrance. She seemed a bit lost in thought as we approached. But she looked up in surprise, and then joy, as Imoen squeeled in delight at the sight of her friend and ran to her. After hugs of greeting Imoen began to recount our tales of adventure since we had left Neera in Beregost. Neera’s jaw dropped at certain parts of the story, especially what transpired with Jaheira, Khalid, and Kivan, the wood elf who had briefly joined us. Neera remained enrapt with the tale, and Imoen knew how to spin it. I had to admit that I was impressed at just what we had been through.

For her part Neera related that she had continued to secretly practice her spellcasting when tending the temple’s garden, and that she was growing ever more proficient at shaping spells. “I’m getting really good at drawing upon powers to cast higher level spells, Oracos,” she commented proudly.

Imoen then looked at me then as if we had just found the most precious lost kitten. I had seen that look before. I knew what it meant. A ‘no’ answer from me here would come at an unbelievably hefty price…

There was no denying that we need help. And there is probably good reason to believe that Neera will prove both helpful and loyal. But this young mageling is pursued in her own right by powerful wizards!

And then another thought occurred that seemed to make an odd sort of sense. The gods had brought us here, knowing well that we seek a new set of companions to join us. And like us, at least this lass also seeks to elude her attackers… so unlike our last set of companions! We are, in effect, birds of a feather. Kindred spirits, as it were.

My intuition at this point was simply ask Neera if she is willing to take the risk of joining us.

I then spoke to her in an earnest tone. “Neera, you know that to join us in our flight from those who seek our destruction is probably far more dangerous than if you stay at the temple. Here the priests will protect you. But if you wish to join us, you may. What say you?”

[Will Neera join? Red card = yes. Woot!]

“Hot diggity! I am so coming with you!” Neera exclaimed. At this Imoen clapped her hands in delight. The girls hugged again, and laughed. And something just felt very right about this, I must admit.

We are now a trio. Three orphans who have found one another.

And so it was that Neera ran inside the temple and quickly gathered her belongings. We could hear her shout a hasty thank-you to Kelddath. And in two shakes she returned to us a bit out of breath, but eager as can be. Foolishly or not, yearning for adventure. But more than anything, perhaps, she seemed to exude an aura of hope. And it seemed to be one of belonging, possibly for the first time in her life. Or so it struck me at that moment.

Off we strode down the street through Beregost, and on to the road south for another day's hike. Then I would cast the runes to see where the gods would take us next. And, indeed, who else they might place on our path!

(I wondered what in the world a “diggity” might be…)

[Note: I CLUAed Neera and Ctrl+Yed her scripted attackers. I put the now extra gem bag (she had given the party her gem bag earlier when they rescued her before) and the Red Wizard guards' gear in a nearby container. She joined at level 2. Oracos is at level 2 and Imoen is at level 3.]
  • StuperStarStuperStar Member Posts: 10
    awesome, didn't think that would work. always enjoy reading these!
    edited May 2013
    Omens On Our Path?

The day was warm, breezy and sunny. I asked Imoen and Neera to please restrain their tendency to talk as we walked, and for Imoen to scout ahead as usual. Thankfully they both understood and agreed with the need to proceed with caution.

We continued uneventfully along the Coast Way, south of Beregost, until we reached the area in which we had earlier found a cave used by the Chill. When we reached a point that was two days travel from the Bridge at Baldur’s Gate I bid Imoen and Neera to stop so that I could cast the runes again to see what direction we should follow next.

[Which direction shall the party travel? Roll 1d8 where 1 = N, 2 = NE, 3 = E, 4 = SE, 5 = S, 6 = SW, 7 = W, 8 = NW. Result: 8 = Northwest.]

[How far will they travel in the Northwesterly direction? Roll 1d3 where 1 = High Hedge, 2 = Lions Way, 3 = Cloakwood Lodge. Result: 3. They travel to the Cloakwood Lodge map.]

The runes revealed that we should travel to the northwest for two days. That would take us in the direction of High Hedge, past it to the Lion’s Way, with our end destination the southeastern corner of the Cloakwood Forest.

By the time we reached Cloakwood my stamina was waning. I felt the need to rest. We knew that we could do so at the foot of Thalantyr’s fortress in relative safety.

Unfortunately, a gnoll stood between us and the entrance. Having no warrior with us now, we would use a spell on him. Neera asked that she please might be allowed to try. Should I be worried by her eagerness? I wondered to myself… But this seemed as good a time as any to test her magic skills.

So Neera cast a Flying Energy Missile from her fingertips at the creature. It clearly startled and injured the brute. But he then came at us, lumbering with a limp from Neera's spell. Neera and I each ran in different directions to distract it. Neera then readied her staff. I cast a spell to attempt to rob the gnoll of it’s sight, but the spell failed to work. The gnoll then seemed unable to decide whether to pursue Imoen—who got off an arrow that found its mark—and Neera, who taunted him by calling him names. That moment of indecision came at a fatal cost: I then cast a spell to place the beast into a slumber, and we killed it forthwith with our weapons.

We knocked at Thalantyr’s door and were shortly thereafter admitted inside by one of his flesh golems. We shared a bit of our adventures with him, but during this visit he seemed quite preoccupied with his experiments. So we told him we would purchase some spells and wouldn’t take long in doing so.

I had a scroll of the Blindness spell and a scroll to cast Horror. These I gave to Neera to scribe. Unfortunately she failed at her attempts to learn both permanently.

So we looked over the selection that Thalantyr had. I was determined to get Neera some more spells into her spellbook. So We purchased for her also Charm—which she also failed to scribe. She seemed rather dejected at this point but I told her we were not giving up. She should just relax and care not a whit about whether she succeeds or fails, I said.

Next we bought a spell by which has the individual enchanted by it believes he is being pursued relentlessly by a terrifying phantom. And this one Neera was able to learn (plus she has the skill to use it). Buoyed by her success we bought one more, a spell to make the victim physically weak. This one Neera would not be able to cast just yet. But it would prove useful when she had gained enough practice with the Weave to use it.

This spell too Neera was able to scribe into her spellbook. So despite her initial disappointments, we were all in quite pleased and impressed with her perseverance and success with her last two tries. They are both spells that can prove helpful to us, I am sure.

It was time to try to rest and also meditate to memorize our spells. Neera was quite eager to memorize her new Spook spell. I recommended to her that she try the Slumber spell, which she does know, pointing out that she had just witnessed how powerful it is. Neera agreed, although I wondered from her facial expression if she felt I was being pushy in making the request. I have a feeling that she will be inclined to do as she wishes when it comes to choosing which spells to prepare. But that is fine, I guess. After all, who am I to tell her what spells she should or shouldn't use?

Our rest period was interrupted by fearsome skeletons equipped with sword and shield. A dim evil glow like little yellow beads was everso faintly visible within their eye sockets, and it was most unnerving. We hastily beat a retreat into the fortress. The skeletons did not follow.

Imoen went back out and was able to lure one inside. She then nimbly dodged its throwing daggers as she darted down the fortress hallway and suddenly turned back to fire her bow. As she held the skeleton's attention with this attack, Neera and I came at it from behind with our staves. But before we could hit it, one of Imoen’s arrows brought an end to the skeleton's undeath.

The other one had wandered off, evidently. Because when Imoen went back outside to check for it, it was nowhere to be seen.

After completing our rest we sold items to Thalantyr that we had acquired from slain enemies. And, somewhat to Neera’s surprise, although it was dark we decided then to be off. By now Imoen and I had overcome our trepidation of nighttime in the wilderness. We have found that it gives Imoen a stealthier ability to scout ahead. Neera’s surprise at this was about us, however. She herself has keen half-elven night vision. She said she had assumed that we would be more fearful of darkness than we are.

We continued in our northwesterly direction. Before we had even gotten past the fortess, Imoen reported that a cloaked figure lurked. “Perhaps Kivan has returned here?” I wondered to myself aloud. Imoen noted that this apparead to be a taller person, probably a human.

A brief discussion ensued about whether we should approach him.

[Approach Permidion Stark? Red card = yes.]

[Note: This completes a second full deck of cards.]

The consensus was that perhaps it was simply time to take such a chance. Neera seemed to feel the strongest that it would be a good idea. Imoen, supported her. I was somewhat ambivalent, but agreed—adding that we should be prepare ourselves for the worst, naturally.

It turned out the man—and a human he indeed was—was a fellow who was planning to burgle Thalantyr’s fortress! Yet as he explained his scheme to us he seemed literally to talk himself out of it and abruptly walked off into the night. We were more than a little amused by this, and shared a quick laugh over it.

But Imoen and I also felt a little concerned for Thalantyr. So Imoen made a quick trip back to Thalantyr to tell him before we left, such that he might be wary of this burglar should he change his mind and return. When Imoen returned she reported that Thalantyr simply smiled and shook his head at the news, appearing none too concerned, but thanked her warmly anyway.

As we continued onward Imoen spotted yet another skeleton. We avoided him.

During our journey through the crossraods of the Lion’s Way and the Coast Way Neera told me the tale of how she had left High Forest. In her training to use the Weave by her mentor (a centaur!), she had conjured an immense fireball that immolated two of her friends. They were terribly injured, one of them possibly fatally.

But I was impressed that Neera seemed to sincerely care about the fact that she had harmed her friends. She said she had since shouldered a burden of guilt that she had fled in panic at the time, rather than trying to help smother the fire on them. And morevorer, she felt bad that her failure to control her magic had resulted in such terrible harm to a couple of her classmates.

She noted that she has an unusual ability with the Weave to cast spells that would ordinarily lie beyond the capabilities of mages with the same training as her. But the price for this ability seems to be that her magic is sometimes also affected by surges in the Weave that can produce very unexpectred results, she explained—which are sometimes horribly unwelcome.

I replied to Neera that I had read of such accounts, but more in the context of places that apparently cause it. I asked Neera if she had experienced such an aberration of the Weave outside of High Forest. She said that she indeed had. And she also noted also that no one else she knew in High Forest suffered from the same problem. So it seemed to be related to her ability itself, and not her former location in High Forest.

Neera went on to explain that the Red Wizards who are pursuing her seem to be interested in her strange abilities. But beyond that it was a mystery to her why they should be so motivated to chase after her so relentlessly.

I find myself liking Neera quite a bit. I think she is very much like us, Imoen and I. I think that she and I shall get along very well. I am a little worried about her magic, I admit. But we shall just have to see how it goes.

Along the way Imoen spotted a very large wolf prowling the area, which she foruntately led us well away from, but kept us still generally in the northwest direction.

Later in the day Imoen spotted a man who was dressed as a noble standing at the edge of a cliff by the sea, and he was by himself. How this came to be was of course anyone’s guess. He could be a powerful mage for all we knew. Or it may be just as likely that he is a man of some wealth who became separated from his caravan and will pay us handsomely to be protected until he reaches safety. We briefly discussed whether we should approach him, although no clear direction emerged. I decided to draw a rune stone.

[Does the party speak with the noble? Red card = yes.]

The oracle stone advised that I am to speak with the man. We approached him but he stood motionless and stared ahead. So lost in thought was he that he seemed to take no notice us at all. And when he did he was startled.

Then he startled us by threatening to leap to his death in the rocks far below!

I was actually rather alarmed that he may act! But I told him that there was no need to jump. And before long he calmed. He shared that his name was Chase. We talked for a bit, and he told that he had come to this very spot many, many times with the thought of taking his life. Yet something within had always restrained him.

By the time the conversation had ended, the young noble seemed to have resolved not to act on his earlier thoughts. He even joked that his mother in Beregost should build him a cliff closer to home. (At least I assume he was joking!)

Chase bid us good day and returned on his way home to Beregost. We advised him to be wary of bandits and wild creatures in the area. But he said he knew a path that was safe and how to remain hidden, as he had been coming here by himself for some time now. And with that he wandered off.

As a Diviner I found myself wondering if these be portents. First a burglar who decides to turn away from a plan with which he was at first hellbent to succeed. Then a suicidal man who chooses against ending his own life. Both turning away from a course they at first strongly felt they must pursue… I’m not sure what type of omen this might be… if any… but I did take note that it could be one. Perhaps it will all make some sense eventually.