Skip to content

"Let the Fates Decide" Game Journal (there will be major spoilers)

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Thanks :). I think I will test what happens with Blind from a save for this fight from a different game. I'm just curious. It won't stop Oracos from casting Blind, but I do want to have an idea if the spell does what it's supposed to do in this case.
    Okay, looking at this battle from a previous game it looks like Davaoern is scripted to cast

Lightning Bolt
    Fireball
    Dire Charm
    Mirror Image
    Hold Person
    Monster Summoning III

and then melees with his staff. I can see that he is Protected from Normal Missiles.

In my tests Davaeorn saved a lot against Blind--but when it works he is utter toast. He then just wanders about and is vulnerable to all manner of attack. He would become a pin cushion for Coran's ice arrows and Eldoth's poisoned arrows (if I can get even one poisoned arrow into him he'd be doomed, I'm sure).

Coran will be shielded by a 50% reduction of non-physical magical damage and double-Hasted. I'm not sure if the Potion of Magic Shielding will protect him from Dire Charm or Hold Person. I hope so, but I don't think so... But anyway, hopefully Davaeorn will target those spells at Faldorn's summoned dire wolf (Hold Person can't work against an animal, and hopefully the dire wolf isn't susceptible to Dire Charm).

One problem is that I have no healing potions. So Coran may have to withstand both the lightning and fire damage with his 28 HP--although there too my hope is that those attacks will be directed at the dire wolf. There's one healing potion to be looted from a chest in the room next to the entrance, which can be plundered before the secret door reveals the rest of Davaeorn's entire area; so that helps a little.

Well, anyway, research completed. Hopefully I'll be able to get to this battle today.
  • ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    Do you a potion of ... whatever the one is that gives you 100% electricity resistance? Or the blue globe of invulnerability potion?

That last one, the Globe potion, makes the fight almost too easy...

Just some wrinkles that might help, if your characters would think of them (of course). Maybe the potion of electricity resistance after the first lightning bolt?

Good fighting!
    Nope, unfortunately the party doesn't have those items. They've only purchased whatever they thought they might need at each step of the way (knowing only what they know of their world, not what I know). And they haven't really done any sidequesting to speak of. So they're working mainly with loot drops and a few items that they can afford to buy every now and then.

But I think there's a pretty strong chance here that if the summoned dread wolf draws the brunt of Davaeorn's attacks, and Eldoth can get a poisoned arrow into him, that should do the trick. The poison damage Davaeorn will then take every round will disrupt most, or possibly all, of his spellcasting. And in the meantime super-Hasted Coran will be peppering Davaeorn with ice arrows, So that too should disrupt his spells. Anyway, success may not hinge on Blinding him. But if I can Blind him it's a done deal.
    edited December 2013
    At Long Last, We Face Our Mortal Foe, Davaeorn

Before entering Davaeorn’s chambers we had a brief counsel. Learning from Eldoth that he can twice cast Energy Bullets from his fingertips, we asked him to please remove his leather armor should that be needed (Mystra dictating that it be so for this spell to work). He seemed a bit uneasy about it, but stoically complied. During our rest he also crafted more poison arrows, and now had a total of seventeen in his quiver. Coran had picked up a good number of arrows that chill the target to the bone, plus some that were of superior quality. I also observed that we had gotten dangerously lazy about detecting for traps, and asked Faldorn to please begin doing so. But beyond having Faldorn begin sensing for traps before entering, but we cast no other spells until we saw what was on the other side of the door.

Once inside we were accosted at once by a guard who demanded to know our business, and didn’t like our answer. We killed him of course. In this area we found two chests which contained two potions of healing and one to protect against any damage wrought from magics using the cold.

There had to be more to the area than what we found, which was just a guard’s living quarters. We inspected the walls, and sure enough detected a secret door. Imoen opened it, and we had Coran sneak forward as a lookout, with Imoen and Faldorn right behind to look for traps just ahead of him.

It was a most fortuitous thing that we did this, since immediately on the other side of the door we found no less than five traps!

For the fourth trap, although Imoen successfully disarmed it, it nevertheless triggered a spell that did severe injury to Imoen, Coran, and Faldorn. A blast of energy that imparted also a lightning charge, it was, and it sent them reeling. They fell back and we healed with all the spells we had and the two remaining berries from Neera’s wild surge result earlier. Imoen was then fully healed. Coran was all but fully restored to health. And Faldorn still had a substantial injury, but not to the extent that it should prevent her from casting spells or throwing darts. We decided to hold onto the two precious healing potions we had just looted for Coran to use, as he would take the lead in any battles we faced.

The chamber was extremely dark beyond the last trap that Faldorn could detect ahead. Before having Imoen advance to remove the final trap (and we all hoped and prayed she was up to the challenge), I felt we should probably prepare for the worst. So I gathered everyone together to have Faldorn summon her wolf; to protect Coran from evil; and to cast the Haste spell on us all. Coran also drank his strength enhancing potion.

Imoen stealthily snuck ahead, with Faldorn just behind her sensing for traps; and two more were revealed rather than just one. This time when Imoen tried to remove the final trap she did so successfully but it yet again unleashed a burst of energy that severely injured Imoen again—and struck down our already injured comrade Faldorn!

It was then that Davaeorn emerged from the shadows to taunt us. He did clearly identify himself by the name of Davaeorn. He was a wizard, and he proceeded to teleport about the chambers with intent to dazzle us with a barrage of spells.

Coran and the wolf then chased Davaeorn wherever he appeared. Apparently with the wolf’s powerful nose and ears, and Coran’s keen elven senses as well, they were able to find him when he reappeared in time for Coran to interrupt Davaeorn’s attempts to cast further spells with his icy arrows.

In the meantime Imoen retreated in something of a daze, wandering about in shock. Eldoth sang as he had done before at the entrance to the mine complex, and this restored Imoen’s bravery and wits.

Coran later reported that at the far end of Davaeorn’s chambers he put the final arrow into Davaeorn just as Eldoth arrived to get off a shot with one of his poisoned arrows. In the battle preceding our enemy’s death he cast a Lightning Bolt spell upon the wolf that it nevertheless survived to continue its attacks undeterred. Coran then shot Davaeorn with an arrow of ice right through the shoulder that must have injured the mage gravely.

As Imoen, Neera, and I joined Coran and Eldoth we heard a whimpering in an adjacent room. There we found an apprentice of Davaeorn, Stephan, who was eager to share all the information he could in the hope of saving his own skin. From him we learned that the Iron Throne’s plot was to degrade iron production everywhere on the Sword Coast but from this secret mine; then they would be the only supplier of iron for weapons to Baldur’s Gate if Amn invades as has been rumored, and a war ensues. He told us what we already knew of the plot involving Mulahey. Davaeorn is one of three regional leaders of the Iron Throne. The apprentice did not know the others’ names. However Davaeorn does have a superior. The main headquarters for the Iron Throne is located in Baldur’s Gate in the southwest corner of the city.

Stephan then pleaded for his life. His pleas for mercy did seem truly pathetic, but the risk of releasing him was obviously foolish. Still, could we simply murder him in cold blood?

[Eldoth would have no qualms about killing him. Imoen as NG would want to let him go. Neera is CN, but I don't see her as hard-hearted as that; she might also tend to support Imoen. Coran is the wild card here, in my opinion. [Does Coran feel Stephan should die? Red card = yes.]

As I raised this concern to the others and sought a counsel to try to arrive at a consensus, Coran asked where Faldorn was. Neera advised him that Faldorn had fallen when the trap fired. She now lay lifeless on the cold floor back near the entrance. Coran gazed down the hallway back toward where we had entered, with a look of sadness. In but an instant his expression turned grimmer. He nudged the wolf with his knee and gave a whistle—and the beast suddenly attacked Stephan. As the apprentice then fled in terror Eldoth fired a poisoned arrow at him, and killed him.

We searched the chambers and found a veritable trove of magery. There was a trident-tipped reddish colored wand that needed identification. There were two robes that had enchantments that we were as yet uncertain of (these to add to our collection by now of two other robes, the enchantments upon which were similarly unidentified). The robe that Davaeorn wore was impressive looking at least, and likely had powerful ensorclements. Davaeorn also sported pair of bracers that had enchantments we could not identify. We found three potions: a potion with which to breathe fire, one like the one that we found on the mage upstairs that explodes upon impact when hurled, and a potion to enhance skill in picking locks and pockets.

And spell scrolls! There was a spell by which to see those who have been made magically invisible; one to cast Horrification; one to keep the target safer from attackers that are evil; an enchantment to protect a wizard from attacks through an energy barrier; a spell to make the user become blurry to others’ eyes; another scroll to prevent one from being turned to stone (Eldoth has one already); a spell that causes a slippery, oily ooze to suddenly issue from the ground; a minor necromantic spell to harm opponents and also steal a bit of their life energy; and finally, a spell to see as well in the dark as elves do. There was also a goodly sum of gold.

However the most important find of all, by far, was a key evidently with which to unseal the door that prevents the river form flooding the mine. The glyphs inscribed on the key were clearly related to the ones that sealed the door.

[Eldoth earned a level-up. This raised his Lore to 40 and Pick Pockets to 55. He also gained a second level spell slot. For the weapon prof I figured Eldoth is probably the sort to prefer a ranged weapon. So I figured choices would be between crossbow, short bow, dart, throwing daggers, and sling. Roll 1d6 where 1 = axe, 2 = dagger, 3 = crossbow, 4 = short bow, 5 = dart, 6 = sling. Result: 6 = sling. Eldoth gains a prof in Sling.]

We had Eldoth examine items and he was able to determine what several of them were. The wand casts the Terrify spell up to fifteen times. The wand could be recharged in magic shops in Baldur’s Gate, he advised. Eldoth was now able to determine the enchantments of all the robes except the one worn by Davaeorn. They were in fact essentially no different than the ones Neera and I already wore, respectively. Exactly what magic was upon Davaeorn’s bracers, Eldoth could not ascertain. He was also able to discern that the plate mail he had carried for some time was enchanted to protect against blades, in addition to be extremely tough and light. Only Coran among us could use it, however—and that at the expense of his ability to sneak about unseen. Nevertheless it might be useful for him to use in some circumstances, so we had him hold onto it just in case.

Eldoth asked if he might keep the wand as a reward for identifying both the wand and robes. Neera pointed out that there was not all that great a value to the robes, which met with a cold stare from the bard. I intervened to respond that he could learn the spell from the scroll we had found. He may also wield the wand, but may not permanently assume possession of it—at least not just yet. With this answer he seemed satisfied.

And finally, we found three letters in Davaeorn’s possession from the same “Rieltar” (signed by him and in his hand) that we found on the hired assassins at the entrance to the compound.

Interestingly, one letter noted that an uprising in Amn should prevent the Amnian military from acting against the Iron Throne’s “mercenary forces,” presumably in reference to the Blacktalons and the Chill. The letter further relates that Blacktalon mercenaries captured by the Flaming Fist in Baldur’s Gate have told their captors that they are hired by the Zhentarim—thereby serving as misdirection away the Iron Throne. The letter mentions that Tranzig had several bags of holding that he used to transport ore from Cloakwood to some other unidentified location. Tranzig acted alone as such to minimize suspicion of the Iron Throne’s control of the iron trade.

Another letter from Rieltar was noteworthy in stating that the Iron Throne has recently purchased an estate from a wealthy noble family in western Baldur’s Gate that shall serve as their base of operations.

And the third letter mentions that a figure named “Sarevok” has arrived from the Iron Throne’s operation in Sembia. Sarevok is to be commander of their mercenary forces in the Sword Coast region. Sarevok oversees Tazok, the Chill leader whom we encountered at the secret bandit camp. Rieltar also references in this letter that he himself is located in Baldur’s Gate. And he shares that the Iron Throne has placed its first spy among the Seven Suns trading coster.

The name “Sarevok” appeared in an earlier letter we found at the bandit camp, written by Davaeorn to Tazok. That letter seems to imply that Sarevok is positioned above Davaeorn in their hierarchy. That letter mention that Sarevok wants some mercenaries killed, and that Tazok had better accomplish this else face Sarevok’s ire.

So it appears that Davaeorn is but a player in a larger drama. Still, we can only hope that with his death the assaults on my life will stop. We still know not why Davaeorn was behind hiring assassins to kill us. But thus far no information definitively links any of the other branches or agents of the Iron Throne to an interest in trying to kill me.

Our decision now was whether to simply leave, without flooding the mine, and hope that killing Davaeorn was enough to make these senseless attacks on my life cease. Or we must decide whether flooding the mining operation, though worthwhile morally, merits the risk of incurring even deeper wrath of the Iron Throne.

I raised the matter to my comrades. Coran and Eldoth felt that we would be wisest not to flood the mine and to head to Baldur’s Gate forthwith. Neera stated she was unsure. Imoen felt that we should, if for no other reason than Faldorn had given her life on a mission to shut the operation down.

After reflecting for a few moments, I stated that I felt that it made sense to flood the mine in order to destroy any possible traces of our having been here to kill the master of the mines. We had spoken with several miners; two of whom we had freed but who might yet be captured. And we have now killed one of the Iron Throne’s leaders! There is every reason to believe Davaeorn’s superiors will continue these attacks against us should they definitively learn it was we who killed their captain of the secret mining operation so central to their scheme. At this Coran and Eldoth both were swayed. Neera then added also that it made sense.

So we were in agreement to flood the mines. We also decided that especially since Coran still possessed tremendous strength from the potion he imbibed that he will carry Faldorn’s body out of the mine to the surface, and thereafter we may attempt to have her raised from the dead. She had proven herself a courageous and true ally. It would take days to make it back to the Friendly Arm, and we all knew it would not be an easy trek through the wood with a corpse in tow.

In all events, Coran slung her body over his shoulder and we returned to the location where we found the door that magically sealed the river from breaching the mine. The miner tasked with guarding the door opened it without delay, and the seal weakened for a few moments just prior to fully breaching, such that we had time to escape according to the secret shortcut Yeslick had provided.

Above ground again we released the dread wolf to the wilderness. A brave miner who had stayed back thanked us for saving and freeing the enslaved miners. Contrary to our plan of seeking to ensure that we left no clues behind of having killed Davaeorn, it appears that in fact the freed miners will likely sing our praises in Baldur’s Gate! This was troubling to learn. It was an outcome that none of us foresaw. But I had to remind the party that we could hardly have killed the miners, now could we? (To which Eldoth smiled disturbingly and rubbed his chin; but then winked when he noticed me staring at him.)

It was our task now to travel to the Friendly Arm Inn with Faldorn in order to have Gellana Mirrorshade return her to the living. And thus we continued onward under the bright midday sun to do just that.

I felt a bit of a knot in my stomach that we had initially agreed to help Eldoth carry out his scheme in Baldur’s Gate. We were badly in need of assistance then and we had little choice, I felt. But I was also aware when we struck the agreement that entrance to the city was barred. If that had changed when we arrived, however, I had very grave misgivings about Eldoth’s proposed caper, in all honesty. If the city was now accessible we would then have to hold a counsel among the party to see which if any would actually agree to help him or not.

And as I considered this moral dilemma a bit more, I remembered that Eldoth had proven decisive in our victory at the entrance to the mine. I felt that we did in fact owe him something for that. Still, we would have to see. I could always consult the runes.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    edited December 2013
    So only one death, not too bad.

I had kind of forgotten about the use of Glyph of Warding (which is a cleric spell) placed upon some of the traps. It threw the strategy off a bit.

I couldn't quite bring myself to have Oracos' leave Faldorn there to meet a permanent end, though as player I considered it. From an RP standpoint I believe he would have felt they owed her for her contributions. She's also a potential plot-driver if she does venture onward with the party.

I feel a little cheap in not flipping a card re:whether they would think to detect traps at the hallway just before encountering Davaeorn. But if the Battle Horrors had been summoned I don't think this would have been a survivable battle with this particular party composition, equipped as they are by virtue of this playstyle, and with the effort to avoid meta-gaming combat strategies.

So this battle was a little anti-climactic, I guess. But all-in-all it's best to be proceeding relatively intact versus having to regroup/rebuild after a devastating defeat. It also stretches the believability of the story to have the party go out and come back to fight Davaeorn yet again. The solid win keeps the game moving.

I was hoping that Eldoth's poisoned arrows would strike the killing blow in this battle, as that would add more weight to the 'yes' side of the scale in Oracos' internal dilemma about whether to honor the agreement to help Eldoth carry out his scheme in BG city. I normally don't use Eldoth, and have only done his quest once that I can recall. But it seems to fit right in to this playstyle. I'm kind of looking forward to doing Eldoth's quest. And I will enjoy doing Coran's quest in BG city as well... although IIRC it's not something he wants to do, and the quest is initiated only if Brielbara spots him. With this party's dynamics I think it could be swung to agree to her quest, though.

I'm interested to see how BG city's wealth of side-quest opportunities can be used for this style of playing the game. And I'm going to introduce a new creative element to Oracos' divination skills once they make it to the city. I'm hoping for a lot of fun synergy there. :)
    edited December 2013
    A Respite at the Friendly Arm Inn to Determine Our Course

It took over two days of arduous and dangerous travel through the Cloakwood to reach the Friendly Arm. We used a travois to carry Faldorn when and where we could, but often the terrain simply would not allow it. It was very tough going overall. We were truly exhausted by the time we arrived at the inn.

Once at the inn we dropped Faldorn off at the temple for Gellana to attend to and we rented the best room available for one of the deepest slumbers I could ever recall. When we awoke we made our way to the temple and Gellana was just then preparing to raise Faldorn. There we beheld the miraculous magic of restoring her to life.

We healed Faldorn to full health and handed her gear to her, with Imoen recounting the tale of the battle to her. I commented that without Faldorn having summoned her canine ally we likely would not have made it through the mine. Faldorn was very pleased at the outcome, and thanked us most sincerely for our aid in destroying the hideous blight of the mine upon her beloved woods. She was frankly astonished that we had gone to the trouble of returning her to the living. Faldorn indicated that she was then ready to return to her wood and appeared about to bid us farewell. But I halted her by asking to please wait as we would hold a counsel shortly that may interest her (remember, she had no knowledge yet of the letters we found in Davaeorn’s possession). Perhaps in appreciation she nodded that she would.

Then in the calm, meditative atmosphere of the temple Eldoth attempted to learn the Horrify spell. He was indeed successful in scribing it.

I gave Neera the spell scroll that conjured a thick film of grease on the ground, and the two scrolls we had that used a necromantic magic to both harm and rob life energy, discovered by the great wizard Larloch. For my part, I held onto the other spells we had for the time being.

[Does Neera choose scribe Grease? Black card = no.]

Neera stated that she too would hold onto her scrolls for now. She elected not to try to learn them but rather to keep them handy to expend a single time without memorization.

Imoen and Neera invited Faldorn to join them at the inn for a brief rest.

Coran, Eldoth, and I then paid for Gellana to identify the robe and bracers that were in Davaeorn’s possession. The robe was enchanted with powerful protections for wizards who are evil. Of no help to us per se; but Gellana advised that we take it next door to her husband as he would surely be interested in purchasing it, she said.

The bracers that Davaeorn had worn were not restricted to use by the evil only. And they offered substantial protection from physical attack for those of us who were more vulnerable by adventuring profession than warriors or rogues. The bracers were of greatest use by me, Neera, and Faldorn. I felt that the chivalrous thing to do was to let either Neera or Faldorn use them. But I would wait and see whether Faldorn would remain with us first, as she was more likely than Neera to engage in hand-to-hand combat.

We rejoined the women at the inn and shared what we had learned of the now identified items. And a visit with Bentley yielded a very pleasant surprise. He offered us over ten thousand gold for Davaeorn’s robe. At this Eldoth leaned over and whispered in my ear that if Bentley was willing to pay that much for it at a trading post in the wilderness, it should fetch twice the amount in Baldur’s Gate. This seemed likely to be true, I agreed. So we kindly declined Bentley’s offer. However we sold him the other mage robes, the night vision spell, and the potion to resist cold magics.

We returned to the inn to have a meal and discussion about our progress and future plans.

“Friends, we have arrived a pivotal point in our journey together,” I began. “Davaeorn is defeated. Now perhaps the attacks on us will cease and the bounty on my head will soon be forgotten by the criminals and mercenaries of the Sword Coast. Hopefully this nightmare we have been living has been based in nothing more than a mad wizard’s delusions.”

To this I raised a glass of Evermead, and everyone responded in kind with a clink of a glass of the same as I had ordered a round for all in celebration.

“But we must also recognize that Iron Throne will also likely learn from gossip by the miners we freed that we flooded their mine,” I continued. “So even if Davaeorn’s reason for placing a bounty on my head was insane to begin with, his superiors may now nevertheless seek to kill us simply for revenge. Therefore to venture into Baldur’s Gate will without a doubt prove dangerous. Yet it seems to me now that to attempt to take refuge the wilderness probably offers little protection in reality. I now think we may actually be safer amid the throng of a metropolis. And perhaps we can try to find a ship to sail to another land beyond the Sea of Swords.”

Eldoth cleared his throat and with a melodic tone of voice reminded us, “That of course after you have fulfilled your promise to aid me in rescuing free my beloved Skie from the clutches of her despotic father. I’m sure you have not forgotten, eh?” He looked to Coran after saying this for a bit of support.

Coran nodded in agreement. “He is right, of course, Oracos,” said the elf. “A deal is a deal,” he said, smiling. “And just so that you know, I‘ve assured Eldoth that I have found you to be a man true to his word.”

Neera then spoke up in support as well. “I think our bard friend’s quest for true love is so romantic! And he did some things to help us win our battle at the entrance to the mine that turned the tables. If his singing hadn’t returned Coran to his senses I doubt we could have won... And if Eldoth had not entranced the dagger-thrower at the mine entrance and used his poison arrows against the wizard there, I really do think that our chance of success would also have been a lot lower. I think he deserves our help!” Neera said with a shy smile at Eldoth. Eldoth responded with a charming look of gratitude that not so subtly suggested a deeper interest in Neera. (As before, this perturbed me…)

Imoen chimed in that not only had we given our word to help Eldoth, she concurred that he had certainly proven himself in battle. He also had skills that were valuable, she observed.

Faldorn remained silent.

I don’t think my outward demeanor from betrayed my internal instinct to renege on my promise to the bard. But I felt at this point we were unfortunately committed to see the venture through.

“You all realize that by doing this we stand a very high risk that we will garner the ill will of the ruling elite of Baldur’s Gate, correct? This in addition to the Iron Throne… “ I queried.

Eldoth quickly responded in an attempt to quell any anxiety. “Believe me,” he said mellifluously, “I have planned out the many possible contingencies so well that the scheme virtually cannot fail. This group has the skill needed to pull it off ten times over. My beloved will be free, we will all be wealthy, and the Duke shall be none the wiser. I will then use my connections in the city to help you find passage on a ship to wherever you wish.”

I sighed and nodded in assent. “Very well, then,” said I with a smile as sincere as I could muster. “We shall of course help you as agreed.”

Eldoth smiled in a manner that suggested he relished having won the group’s support despite my misgivings. “Worry not, diviner. Everything shall go as planned,”he added. Eldoth then paused for a moment as if suddenly remembering something. “And when we get to Baldur’s Gate,” he continued, “hopefully I can make a special gift to you in added appreciation. I will keep you in suspense as to what it is until we arrive, for I must yet check to see if it can arranged. But trust me, though, that if I am able to deliver you will be highly pleased.”

I then turned to Faldorn who had patiently listened to our discussions with an impassive expression. “And you, Faldorn?” I asked. “Will you continue onward with us? We would be proud to have you accompany us.”

[Does Faldorn feel she should continue with the party in order to further investigate the Iron Throne? Or return to Cloakwood to report to her superiors? Red card = continue onward with the party; black card = return to Cloakwood. Result: red card = continue with the party. Faldorn remains with the party with the motivation to further investigate the Iron Throne.]

Faldorn seemed to look inward for a brief moment, although outwardly her eyes bespoke a gaze into some otherworldly realm. She then spoke with the reserve I had come to expect with her, but an equal measure of conviction as well. “I am charged by my order with the task to defend my sacred wood,” she said quietly. “Praise be to Sylvanus, the blight of that wretched mine upon the Cloakwood is now destroyed. But I have prayed for direction as to whether I should continue to follow the tracks of the Iron Throne to destroy their leaders as well, in order to remove the risk of any further harm by them to my woods or any other.”

She had captured the party’s full attention with the last statement, and a pause before continuing.

“And it seems that Sylvanus directs that it would be prudent for me to join you,” Faldorn continued. “But if I do, it is for the purpose of investigating the Iron Throne further in order to prevent them from doing further harm to any of Sylvanus’ sacred abodes—and indeed to the Balance itself,” she said. “So that is a condition that I must set forth. Know that if I am to join you, it is for that purpose. And I will require your full assistance in fulfilling such a mission. If you cannot do this in good faith, then I shall return to my wood and seek further direction from my order.”

This turn of events rather surprised us all! We all looked to one another to gauge the various reactions to the proposed condition.

“Faldorn’s healing powers are certainly valuable to us,” I observed. Though I withheld my deeper reservations just yet.

“I must add that I have become somewhat fond of her spirit companion,” Coran said with a smile. “With our druid’s summoned wolf to assist us it’s like having not one, but two, allies.”

“He seems to like you too,” Faldorn said with a smile.

Neera then piped up. “I’m pretty familiar with druidic powers from the wood that I came from,” she said. “If you don’t mind my asking, though, what spells can you cast?” Imoen nodded to indicate that the answer was of interest to her as well.

Faldorn was quick with a firm answer. “Well, as you have seen, I can make the earth abruptly envelope enemies with magical vines—even in a city, as odd as that may seem. And I am able to sense any trap no matter how well hidden and that a thief might miss… I can summon magical berries that heal the body, though not greatly…” she said. And then after a moment’s pause she proceeded to recite in full all the magics she could perform. “Any wild creature I can tame, even if at first hostile. Like Oracos, I can stop any poison that has entered one’s body. I can confer Slyvanus’ blessings upon us to protect us in battle—not overwhelmingly, but sometimes enough to gain an edge. When I fight using my club and a shield, I can summon an armor of magical energy and also make my skin as thick as tree bark. I can summon both a magical Shillelagh and blade of flame. I can strike a sense of impending doom within the heart of an opponent that while brief never fails, and in some cases may narrowly win the day. I can tell who is good or evil in nature. And I can provide some protection against cold and fire magics. These powers are what I bring to your party. But I should add that as I faithfully follow Sylvanus and practice my powers well, my god will steadily grant me more."

We all looked at one another, and all agreed that the list was impressive.

I then expressed my reservations about Faldorn’s proposal. “I do have concerns, though, Faldorn, that to spy upon the Iron Throne in the city that harbors their headquarters would be akin to rattling a nest of hornets,” I commented. “My hope is that with Davaeorn now dead, no one else in their organization will care about us. I don’t want any further trouble from the Iron Throne if I can avoid it.”

Faldorn seemed unfazed by my concerns. “I can appreciate that. But what of the risk that the Iron Throne will eventually tie you to the flooding of their mine? Imoen and Neera told me that one of the miners said that the freed slaves had mostly gone to Baldur’s Gate… Oracos! Is it realistic to believe that will somehow elude the ears of the Iron Throne’s spies?”

Sadly, her point was exactly right, of course. The weight of the realization hit me hard at that moment. I must have appeared somewhat dejected. For Neera stretched out her hand over mine to comfort me.

“Yes, I suppose that is probably undeniable,” I said rather glumly.

“Obviously we will remain inconspicuous as we attempt to learn more about them,” said Faldorn. “And it helps that Eldoth and Coran both know the city well.”

“How do you think you shall fare outside of the forest?” I asked Faldorn. “Will you feel overwhelmed by being out of the forest? Will your powers suffer on that account?”

She met my doubts with an even and seemingly honest gaze. “I have visited the city before, once or twice… No, I do not think my powers will suffer. If Sylvanus wills, I shall receive whatever powers I need to explore wherever the trail may lead. I have complete faith that I won’t let you down, if that is your concern.”

A shared round of gazes and nods around the table confirmed our course. “You shall join us then, Faldorn. We accept your terms,” I said. With that we all raised our glasses for another toast.

“I just hope that we haven’t bitten off far more than we can chew,” I sighed. “If we aren’t extremely careful—and favored by the gods—we’ll be flattened by the combined forces of a Duke of Baldur’s Gate and the Iron Throne like a bug standing between a hammer and anvil.”

“Sometimes one is the insect... but sometimes one is the hammer,” Coran mused. “And who knows? We just took a hammer to an entire mine. I’m feeling the favor of Tymora, myself,” he said.

“Let’s hope and pray that you’re right,” said I.

With that we drained our goblets, and stood up from the table to gather our belongings. A quick visit to the two stores at the Friendly Arm for supplies and we were off. We purchased a buckler for Faldorn that is enchanted to improve the wearer's health, nine healing potions, and one potion to stop the effects of toxins. I insisted that Neera wear the bracers we had taken from Davaeorn.

Off we headed then, north along the Trade Way for a day's journey to the great city of Baldur’s Gate. Hopefully, the bustling metropolis had reopened its doors by now!
    edited December 2013
    A few comments:

I've found myself instinctively playing Faldorn more or less against type re: being a militant Shadow Druid by developing her more as a serene, reserved, mission-focused, and self-possessed type. It just feels like a more interesting way to go with her, versus a fanatical hothead. I'm conceiving her as a special ops spy, basically. And the template in the back of my head influencing my imagination of her personality is probably that of Scarlet Johansonn's portrayal of Black Widow in the Avengers. Not 1:1, of course. But the deadly effective, laser-focused thing that Black Widow has going on rocks. So I'll toss in a good measure of it here. Note for example that Faldorn accompanied Imoen and Neera back to the inn, and unassumingly gathered information from them.

From a RP standpoint I almost had Faldorn head back to Cloakwood on her own versus flipping a card. The mine has been destroyed, so her central mission is accomplished. And would a druid readily leave his or her beloved wood to traipse around in a metropolis? But I figured she's been added the game to continue on with the party like any other NPC, so why not give it a 50-50 chance?

To give Neera a more distinct voice I'm going to go with more modern vernacular (like her voice set), although I'll try to avoid modern slang.

Oracos passively-aggressively (and unconsciously) gives the enchanted bracers to Neera because he's jealous that she is falling for Eldoth's charms, and this might help win her favor; and because he's a bit pissed that Faldorn convinced the party that that they should spy on the Iron Throne. It actually makes more sense for Faldorn to wear those bracers, since the party has only Coran for melee (his AC is -2 in Fallorain's Plate) and she can join him as needed as such when buffed with Armor or Faith and Barkskin. But in time that will likely become apparent to the party.

The "sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" reference suggested by Coran was corny, I admit. ;P (Although when you think about it, Baldur's Gate makes plenty of modern RL cultural references; it's also something that Disney began popularizing for fantasy adventure in the 90s.)

The next phase of the game should feature a lot of unexpected twists and turns. The new divination technique I'll be adding in BG city requires a good deal of subjective interpretation by Oracos. So there's quite a bit of room for decisions and paths to take off via imagination, as well as chance. There's an easy way for me to do the new divination method... and a bit more complicated way that nevertheless feels a little more satisfying overall, and thus may be worth the extra bit of effort... still haven't decided which to run with yet. But it'll be rolled out very soon.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Wondrous journey Lemernis! Two thumbs up! (because that's all I have you know ;-) )
    A heartfelt thanks to those who at least take the time to skim, and perhaps read a little more closely at whatever parts may stand out to them. I know the whole thing must be massively over-detailed for most people's interest and patience levels. But I've found the intricacies of roleplaying often inform decisions about what to flip cards or role a die for. So it really does make a difference for me to think through how the various party members would respond to the situations that come up--and all that adds up to a lot of writing. The downside is of course that the entries end up being tl;dr for most folks to bother with (and I don't blame them!) ;P

But anyway, thanks again @Wanderon and others for the encouragement to keep it going. It's been--hands down--the most immersive BG game I've ever played. And that's after thirteen years of playing BG (taking time off for years at a time over that period, but I always seem drawn back to this pastime eventually). :)
    edited January 2014
    We Prioritize, Plan, and Prepare

Towards the magnificent emporium of wizardry we strolled, striding casually through the streets of the great city at a relaxed gait, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells. We could hear the gentle lapping of waves on dock piers, nearby cries of dock-hands, the sounds of loading crane winches, and the creaking of ships just to the south. But also filling the air was a cacophony of calls from fish mongers and market merchants, the giddy shouts of children at play, the mewing of cats (strangely, no barking dogs), and the rhythmic clumping of horses and other beasts of burden's hooves on the cobblestoned streets.

We were a bit too far inland to detect the salt air of the Sea of Swords, but we could certainly smell fish! The large bay formed by the River Chionthor had a certain earthy smell of its own as well, amid the variety of cooking smells and various other types of chimney smoke that filled the city air.

It seemed that much of the architecture of the Gate was constructed of adjoining row houses, as space was at a premium. The area surrounding our inn was constructed mostly of wood, with some stone here and there. But as we moved closer to the East Gate the buildings were constructed almost entirely of stone, and much grander and more stylish in design.

So many people I have never seen assembled in a single place at once! And chatter everywhere about us. It seemed that the folk of this city loved to while the day away in animated conversation! (I should be right at home then.) As we drew closer to the wizard’s shop we noticed more nobles in finer attire, adorned as well with jewelry that I feared might tempt the rogues among us.

In the neighborhood of our inn, it seemed the folks living there were mostly those who work the docks and its warehouses, or otherwise in menial capacities for the many businesses of the city. That or beggars (and we saw quite a few, including one who regularly set himself up just outside our inn; Faldorn noted that we might feed him a coin now and then to report anything suspicious to us).

When we entered Sorcerous Sundries my mouth was agape. Just about anything one could ever hope to find with an enchantment on it seemed available here. The selection of spell scrolls, potions, and wands was nearly beyond belief. Also available were arrows, darts, bolts, and sling bullets with all manner of ensorclements. And finely crafted armor, shields, and weapons either of masterwork quality and/or with enchantments placed upon them were available here as well.

Eldoth drew forth Davaoern’s robe for the proprietor to inspect and did some negotiating for us. Unfortunately, despite Eldoth’s eloquent pitch Drin refused to pay more than Bentley had offered us for it. But it was still an enormous sum—just a bit over ten thousand gold! Eldoth advised that could hold out and try at also one or two other potion shops; but likely this will be the going price.

[Does Oracos make the deal now versus try another shop? Black suit = sell the robe now, red suit = try selling it elsewhere first. Result = red suit. Try selling it elsewhere first.]

I then asked Halbazzer Drin for his prices on some of the spells that interested me, and they were quite expensive! As such, it seemed to me if there was a location not too far from here, we might try at least one other place… So I asked Eldoth to recommend such a shop. He seemed slightly annoyed at this and gave a small sigh. He advised that if there is a better deal to be had, it is likely with Silence at her shop.

Eldoth noted however that an investment right now at Drin’s shop of a spell sometimes known as Friendship would be good to make. The bard said he has heard that this spell makes business dealings go more favorably; and in fact many wizards use it routinely in their business dealings. Eldoth said he has been meaning to procure it for himself for some time, but his funds always seem to be needed more for other things.

The price was fairly reasonable at 142 gold. Eldoth seems to have a strong knowledge of the city, its merchants, prices, and so forth; and he can be quite charming and persuasive to begin with. So I told Eldoth that it was a good idea—let us indeed purchase the spell for him to use. (Hopefully he would succeed in scribing it!)

We bought the spell, and Eldoth had a go at learning it… which met with success! We would have to rest yet again in order for Eldoth to be able to cast the spell, however.

It was decided that we would return to our inn for another rest and then see after casting the spell see what prices we might get from both Silence and Halbazzer Drin for the robe. During that time we might also confer about our various plans, as Eldoth reminded me that there was some information that he wished to share with me that I would be very pleased to learn.

When we returned to our inn, I asked for us to sit and talk before resting that Eldoth may memorize his new spell. I noted that we already had before us two main tasks: to rescue Eldoth’s lover from her father, and to break into the Seven Suns and collect information. I then turned to Eldoth and inquired of him, would we now have a third? Eldoth smiled and nodded affirmatively.

“Yes. And I think it is one that I think we may perform after selling the robe, and buying and learning new spells. But I shan’t keep you in suspense any longer Oracos,” said the Bard. “I know of a tome that would be highly valuable to you, my Diviner friend,” the bard continued. “It details how to divine a course of action from the stars themselves. The book is written in an ancient runic script… I believe that of the fabled wizards that originally occupied Halruaa in ancient times… But judging from the diagrams within, it is clearly about the movements of the heavenly bodies. I was instrumental in bringing about its sale to a wizard named Ragefast.

Eldoth paused briefly to sip some wine. “The thing is,” Eldoth quickly continued, “Ragefast would never, ever agree to sell it even if we could afford it. However, I do believe that we have the skill to… assume possession of it for our own very noble purposes.”

At this Coran smiled. Faldorn remained impassive and unreadable. Imoen and Neera seemed to laughed simultaneously as if to indicate “why not?” I myself was definitely intrigued. Long had I awaited training in this very high art of Divination. I had indeed begun my studies of it at Candlekeep within the year prior to this adventure, and a tome of this sort is exactly what I needed to gain competence in divination by the stars.

Eldoth seemed satisfied that his plan was gaining support, so he continued with enthusiasm. “I have never seen the inside of his home—Ragefast never allows visitors,” he said. “But it seems that Coran can pick virtually any lock. I’m sure our elven rogue can also slip inside unseen...”

The bard paused for a moment as he reflected. “The problem will likely come in escaping Ragefast’s detection once inside home,” Eldoth continued. “Wizards are of course known to use scrying magics. But in any event, I think that Coran with his magical boots—and perhaps a potion to increase his speed even more—should be able flee before Ragefast could get a look at him. And, more importantly, also before he can cast a spell.”

Eldoth savored another mouthful of wine as he assessed the reaction of the party, which seemed favorable (with the possible exception of Faldorn).

“I offer this… ehm, gift, as it were… to Oracos to sweeten the deal that we already have to help me rescue Skie,” said the bard. “And perhaps Oracos’ use of this wondrous tome may even aid us in that operation as well.” Eldoth then drained his glass and flashed a winning smile at the group. “What say you, Oracos?” he queried. “Shall we attempt it?”

“We shall,” said I squarely and without hesitation. There was no need for pretense. I dearly wanted that book, as Eldoth surely knew that I would. “Thank you for making it available,” I added. And then I felt compelled to qualify the statement. “At least if it lives up to your description,” I smiled.

I ordered one more round of drinks for everyone to take refreshment before Eldoth rested to memorize his new spell.

“So then we have our list of priorities,” I said. “First, using Eldoth’s new Friendship spell we shall make our transactions with either Silence or Halbazzer. Then we shall purchase spells and try to scribe them at the shop. Yet another rest period will be required to prepare those spells in order to be cast, but perhaps we can proceed to Ragefast’s home without doing so… we’ll see. Next we shall attempt Eldoth’s plan to free his beloved Skie. And then we shall break in to the Seven Suns cost and complete our espionage for Scar.”

“That’s quite a to-do list!” said Neera with bit of sparkle.

“It is indeed,” said Faldorn, somewhat more soberly. I did not however detect any sarcasm or apparent misgivings in the druidess’ tone of voice. The Faldorn then added somewhat glibly, “Let’s hope I have enough healing spells to get us through it in one piece. And by the way, let’s be sure we have enough potions of various kinds before you get too carried away with wizard scrolls at the magic shop.” I nodded in agreement that that would be wise.

And with that we spent some time resting. Eldoth prepared two castings of his new spell. I noticed Faldorn speaking more with Coran than before. Neera and Imoen chatted, as usual. During this period I kept to myself, mentally reviewing my memory of the stars, and the knowledge I possessed of them.
    Notes:

I need to revise that it is dusk above, because it doesn't actually get dark until 10PM (22 hours) in Faerun. It is actually before dusk at 8 PM.

The travel time between BG city maps is really a lot--something I don't recall noticing before. It's 8 PM (20 hours) when they leave Sorcerous Sundries and when the party appears in the next adjacent Central map it's 7AM the next day! It took eleven hours to traverse the Eastern section of the city? I guess I'll just have to work with that.
    edited January 2014
    A Visit to a Lovelorn Wizard (Part I)

As Eldoth led us to Ragefast’s home, he provided a tour of sorts as we walked.

We strolled through the center of town on the lower, or southern, side of a great wall. Eldoth commented that it was the original outer wall to the city. But the city had grown so rapidly as a center of trade even in its earliest days that it more than doubled in size beyond those constraints. So before long a new wall was constructed that serves today as the outer wall of defense. The upper half of the city is newer and grander in construction and its residents are richer. The lower half is constructed more of wooden structures, many of which are warehouses. And the poorer citizens make their residence there.

We passed Jopalin’s inn, which humorously features an ornate claw footed bathtub on its lawn as a watering trough for horses.

In the center of the city we passed northward through what was the original outer gate to the city. It is now in fact the only gate in the original city wall that provides access to both halves of the city. That gate is now a choke-point for traffic between the upper and lower halves of the crescent-shaped metropolis.

Just north of the central gate we beheld an enormous open, bustling market that Eldoth explained was called “The Wide.” Even in the torch-lit, waning light of dusk we could see that the market was filled with colorful, bannered tents, and countless carts and stands. Many of the stalls were closing down for the day about now; but quite a number of them never closed, Eldoth advised. Every manner of item was for sale there, he continued. Strange items from exotic ports abroad could be purchased there. And naturally many goods from inland trade routes were sold there as well, some originating all the way from Waterdeep, or other great cities of Faerun. There are artists at the Wide as well that provide tattoos and disguises. And of course one also found the usual gallery of street performers.

Neera, Imoen, and I were all eager to explore the market very soon. For Eldoth and Coran it was nothing novel or new, so they expressed no special enthusiasm for it. Faldorn was impassive as ever about the suggestion that we pay the fair a visit.

We noticed that, quite clearly, on the northern or upper side of the city nobles in colorful silks were everywhere. One of these nobles recognized Eldoth, a Lady Hannah, whom Eldoth greeted with a kiss to her hand. She made an ever-so slight curtsy and then proceeded to fume to Eldoth about none other than the wizard whose abode we were about to burgle!

Ragefast, we learned, has recently enslaved a nymph for his own personal pleasures. The injustice of this treatment of a young female by an older man angered the woman, to the point that she sputtered that the entire world would be better off without men. Eldoth quipped that such a plan might pose a problem for future generations; and to that Lady Hannah harrumphed (good-naturedly) and moved on to chat with another noble she spotted walking our way.

This was an intriguing development indeed. Eldoth seemed genuinely surprised by it. I wasn’t sure what to make of it all, as quite honestly Eldoth did not strike any of us as someone to be trusted to tell the entire truth. But he swore with apparent sincerity that this was news to him.

In the final analysis, it didn’t seem as though this additional factor of a nymph inside the residence, imprisoned by Ragefast, should greatly alter our plan. However, Imoen pointed out that if the nymph is imprisoned, were we to set her free then she might aid us if a fight ensued with Ragefast. And nymphs do possess powerful magics. I remarked that while that is true, nevertheless, hopefully Coran could just get in and out undetected and simply steal the tome! We do not want to battle this wizard!

Imoen felt that if the opportunity to release the nymph presented itself, we really should. She asked Coran if he would promise to do so. Coran responded, sure, he could try—but only if the situation absolutely warranted it. The rest of us agreed that freeing the nymph was not the priority here. Getting the tome was.

Faldorn pointed out that nymphs are sometimes very evil creatures. She cautioned not to make any assumptions about this report from Lady Hannah just yet. The druidess was of course perfectly correct.

As we continued on our way, I asked Eldoth how he came to know Lady Hannah. He replied she was an acquaintance he had made through Skie at a popular location secretly frequented nobles.

Our long journey west through the streets led us to a grand stone carved building that Eldoth told us was a temple of Gond named the Hall of Wonders. It was enormous! Within it was all manner of imaginative mechanical invention by the priests of Gond, proudly on display but also carefully guarded. Potions could be purchased there, Eldoth said.

Ragefast’s stately, well-manicured home was on a street across from the temple. As Coran moved stealthily across the street, the rest of us remained across the street along the side of the temple building. Coran picked the lock to the door in the blink of an eye, and slipped inside.

For the next several moments we almost literally held our breath—and although the time that passed was probably not as long as it seemed, it still felt like an eternity!

Eventually, to our mixed surprise and relief Coran opened the door with a grin and beckoned for us to come inside with an ‘all clear’ whistle. There seemed no obvious suggestion that he was under the control of another, though the thought did cross my mind; and when I glanced at Faldorn I suspect that she might have wondered also.
    edited January 2014
    A Visit to a Lovelorn Wizard (Part II)

Once inside we found a dejected looking wizard, muttering inaudibly to himself and seemingly on the verge of tears.

Evidently immersed in grief the wizard tolerated our presence, as Coran quietly and quickly related that despite his best efforts to remain concealed the wizard had detected his presence. In the same room where we stood Ragefast was arguing with the very nymph of which Lady Hannah had spoken. Ragefast referred to her as Abela. He had placed some sort of enchantment on the creature to keep her captive in his home. For her part, she was pleading to be released. Just then Coran’s trespass was discovered.

The wizard seemed ready to attack Coran with a spell. But our elven rogue shrewdly enjoined Abela by advocating for her release. Thus, rather than attacking Coran outright the wizard instead continued his discussion with his captive.

Ragefast had become completely entranced by Abela's ethereal beauty. And, somewhat surprisingly, she apparently did have feelings for him—although it was folly for the wizard to have spirited her way from her from her glade, since in any other place her powers will fade. And indeed she would soon die.

By several turns of discussion Ragefast was grudgingly persuaded that if he truly loved Abela he must release her, lest she soon perish in his home.

Ragefast released Abela from the spell that bound her. And just before the nymph disappeared, she gave Coran a gift of a lock of her hair in thanks for him having being instrumental to her release.

Coran quickly told the mage that he was no burglar. Rather, he had learned of Abela’s imprisonment from Lady Hannah and chivalrously sought to try to persuade Ragefast to release the forest nymph. Echoing words that Abela herself spoke to Ragefast, Coran then offered some words of consolation to Ragefast, emphasizing that no man on the face of Toril could have resisted her. This perhaps may have helped cushion the impact of her leaving somewhat. In any event, the crestfallen wizard’s heart was so wounded that he seemed unconcerned with Coran.

Coran realized at that point that he could either quietly leave and try returning later to burgle the tome. Or, he considered, we might attempt to bargain for the tome. In the wizard’s current state of mind that would be unpredictable. But before simply taking his leave Coran thought a brief prayer to Tymora and made a gut decision to see if a deal could be struck. He mentioned to Ragefast that a bard named Eldoth wished to speak with him; although the wizard had gone so deep into his own thoughts that it was unclear if he had even heard the request.

Eldoth seemed slightly perturbed at being put on the spot as such. But he realized the die was now cast. So he approached Ragefast and offered some words of comfort first. The wizard seemed still lost in thought, and as if struggling to wake from a dream.

“My dear friend, I am so sorry for your loss,” Eldoth began. “As my friend here has reminded you, there is no resisting the charms of a nymph. You cannot be blamed for simply trying to find happiness with her.”

Ragefast looked at the bard for a moment with a searching expression, and then seemed to become cognizant enough to place who he was.

“Eldoth Kron…” he muttered. “I have no interest in whatever you may have to say. Leave an old man to his grief,” Ragefast said with bitterness.

“I shall, I shall, my good friend… and again so sorry for your loss… But, ehm, there is a bit of business I wish to discuss with you that is quite urgent… Do you recall the tome I procured for you to aid in your study of the heavens? Well, there is a bit of a problem there.”

The wizard blinked at Eldoth as if taking a moment to catch up with what the bard had already said.

Eldoth kept the conversation moving at a brisk clip. “I, um… well, I don’t quite know how to say this, really… But the owner of the book wants it back… And I assure you that I obtained it by the most scrupulous means! Really, I did. But the previous owner is a fickle sort, and quite the powerful spellcaster. I’m sorry to say that she has scried that you now own it. She says she will seek to retrieve it by whatever means necessary, which could easily include taking your life if you stand in the way. And trust me, oh wizard, she has the ability to do just that! Believe you me.”

Ragefast seemed to be more attentive at this point, and grew increasingly dour in facial expression as Eldoth spoke.

“She sent me to try to persuade you to return the item,” Eldoth continued. “Sadly, I can offer only half the amount that you paid for it—seven hundred and fifty gold pieces. That is all the money that I have. But that is the best that I can offer... And I do feel that, in all good conscience, I have actually saved your life in the bargain! For the fickleness of the seller is in no way my fault. And I have at least warned you and offered some compensation for all your trouble.”

At this the wizard’s brow grew quite dark in expression. “What sort of a fool do you take me for, Kron,” sneered the wizard. Ragefast looked Eldoth up and down. “What is the name of this supposed would-be killer of mine?”

“Oh, that I must not say!” said Eldoth with exasperation. “For if she were to discover that I had ever even uttered her name, she would surely kill me.” Eldoth paused for a moment, but continued with seeming earnestness. “I will say however that it is my firm belief that she is merely clothed in human form, and likely of another race altogether,” the bard replied, ending in almost a whisper.

The wizard drew a deep sigh. He gazed for a moment at Eldoth unsteadily. And then his face seemed to twist into an almost tortured expression.

[At this flashpoint does Ragefast immediately turn hostile? Black card = no. Ragefast does not attack.]

[Is Ragefast inclined to deal? Black card = no. Ragefast does not at this moment feel inclined to make a deal.]

“Get out of my sight before I blast you into an adjacent plane!” the wizard roared.

Ragefast gripped his wizard’s staff tightly and he seemed about to begin an incantation. In a near panic I blurted in a shout, “We will give you twice the amount you paid for the tome plus the lock of Abela’s beautiful hair!”

The mage’s eyes steadied somewhat and narrowed upon me in a most unnerving way. As he studied me briefly, I used the opportunity to keep talking.

“Twice the amount… and a precious lock of her hair,” I repeated. “This is more than fair… I know nothing can replace your beloved. But the bittersweet reminder of her fairness may bring you solace in the dark days to come.”

Ragefast looked confused. He quickly regained his senses, however. “Ah, yes. The lock of her hair. I could simply kill you now and take it, though couldn’t I?” the wizard retorted.

“That you could try,” Faldorn replied calmly, stepping forward. “But there is also a risk you may fail.” Her self-assurance and poise were welcome in this tense moment. The druidess had garnered the wizard’s attention. She continued slowly and deliberately. “If you make this deal you will gain a handsome sum of gold. There will be no threat of being killed by the book’s previous owner. You will have Abela’s locks… And there will be no battle with us.”

Ragefast’s roiling anger seemed to reduce slightly, as he considered what Faldorn had said.

I continued our plea. “And consider it truly… Is the book really worth more to you than what we have offered?”

[Will Ragefast entertain this new offer? Red card = yes. Ragefast is now open to a deal.]

A realization seemed to have dawned for Ragefast. “If I don’t sell you the tome, then the previous owner comes after me, no? Why is obtaining the book your problem?” he queried.

“Because the tome’s former owner advised me that if I don’t retrieve it, she will feed me to one of her pets,” Eldoth responded without dropping a stitch. “It was the principal, she said” the bard went on. “She feels that I misrepresented something of value to her in making the arrangement for her to trade the tome. Very unfair of her, I feel. But there was no convincing her otherwise. So I am ‘on the hook’ for this item, as they say. But thank goodness I have my friends here to aid me in this quest!”

Ragefast seemed to just slightly relax. “That is barely believable—especially that you have any friends. But your explanation can suffice, I suppose...” he sighed. “I can accept what you have offered… plus two thousand more gold,” he said sternly. “That’s a total of three thousand five hundred gold. And of course Abela’s lock of hair.”

“Done!” said I before any could respond, as Eldoth seemed prepared to counter. “But my friend and I must inspect the book of course.”

The wizard squinted at us and nodded. He seemed wary of us, but fairly content at the deal we had struck. Ragefast asked us to remain still and in view as he walked sideways to his shelf to glance and feel about for the book, while keeping one eye on us.

In the meantime Eldoth frowned that I had accepted Ragefast’s counter-offer without making another of our own. He whispered something to Imoen and she inconspicuously slipped a vial to him. Faldorn stood between them and Ragefast’s line of sight. He then quickly whispered to Coran.

Coran stepped forward and drew forth the golden lock of Abela’s hair. “This I shall pass to you when you hand us the book for inspection, and we shall then count the gold,” the elf said.

The wizard found the tome and brought it to us. He handed the book to Eldoth as Coran handed him the lock of hair.

Eldoth opened the book, and I gazed at it as he turned the pages. I recognized the script. Sure enough, it was Halruaan.

“Yes, this is it. You should inspect this, my friend,” Eldoth said to me with a smile and handed the tome to me. Before Eldoth handed me the book, I passed our coin bag to Imoen for her to count out the amount on Ragefast’s desk as he watched. Imoen placed another pouch next to the gold coins, to be used as an eventual repository for the stacks of coin.

Eldoth then asked politely if he might turn to take a quick look at Ragefast’s magnificent stargazing apparatus, which he was standing next to. The wizard now seemed just comfortable enough that we meant him no harm to mumble some indication that that was fine. Eldoth coughed, cleared his throat, and thanked the mage as he gazed in awe at the giant machine.

As Imoen counted the coins, I poured over the tome. My mind was far too excited to study it carefully, but the book was clearly about divination from the Sun, Moon, and stars. It looked to be exactly what Eldoth had said it was.

Finally Imoen finished her counting. She looked up to Ragefast who nodded that he was satisfied with the count, and she raked the coins from the desktop into the bag. Imoen then handed then the bag to Ragefast.
    edited March 2014
    My First Divinations from the Stars

Once back at the inn I took my time to make a proper study of the tome. It was written in Halruaan script, and its title was “Of the Movements of Sun, Selune, Stars and Divination of Their Portents.” The book was physically scribed by the hand of a Tambral Deneth of Halarahh. But the author of its content was none other than an Archwizard of Xinlenal named simply “Aja.”

The tome did appear to be genuinely ancient, perhaps around a millennium in age. Indeed it could well be many centuries older than that. In any event, to the best of my reckoning it was very, very old and from Halruaa.

And I discovered that what this tome then was… was a very old transcription of a far more ancient text by an immensely powerful Netherese wizard. The tome detailed the movements of the Sun, Selune, and four wandering stars through the fixed constellations. It detailed an astronomical reckoning system by which to divine portents from the celestial conditions at any hour, day, and year.

In this respect the tome seemed at least an exceptionally reliable source for the common astrologer. However, the gyst of the tome was that at levels of the Art far above my own, special divination spells could be cast with use of this knowledge that might yield truly astounding results.

It was noted in the text that even lesser wizards could divine great truths from its system, although in the hands of an archwizard it could become a source of exceptional power.

Now, I had seen at Candlekeep many books that made similarly grand claims. Most of them were ultimately found to be worth little more than the paper they were scribed upon. And even in very ancient times, there were those who fooled the gullible into spending extraordinary wealth on what ultimately proved to be rubbish.

The section on use of the portents for high level magics was written in undecipherable characters that I did not recognize at all. It might even have been a personally created code language.

My best guess as to why Ragefast was willing to let go of the book without a battle was probably that the sections on higher level magics scribed in that obscure script were far beyond his ability to decipher as well. Would it really be worth the tremendous expenditure of time and effort to try to decode it? Ragefast probably realized he would have ended up selling the tome for at least roughly the amount I offered (or less, I suppose). And perhaps Ragefast already had books by which to divine astrological portents. He had a magnificent stargazing device in his home.

The tome did hold promise, however. Many a seer uses the stars. With this tome I now had a reliable way to use them. I had only received some very basic training in that type of knowledge at Candlekeep. But I knew enough to use this book. I would simply have to see how well my own unique ability to interpret portents from the heavens stacked up against such things as my runecasting, or seeking signs.

Moreover, recently, it occurred to me that I have been seeking omens, signs, portents less and less since embarking on this strange odyssey. And that worried me. I felt that myself drifting away from my chosen path as a Diviner. But then this tome appeared. And therefore I suspect that this may be a sign in its own right.

So I tried my hand at divining a course of action with respect to which spells we might purchase, as Faldorn had suggested.

After much study the portents I read from the heavens were as follows:

A mighty hero’s armor gleams in the sun as he slays a gorgon with his bare hands. This indicates a spell that confers extraordinary physical strength.

A philosopher is gripped by a nightmare from which he is unable to awake. This indicates either a spell that instills the mind with confusion or terror, or one that makes the enemy unable to move.

A fearless gladiator is unbeatable as he continually changes weapons and fighting styles. This could indicate a shapeshifting spell...

A weary and lost band of travelers finds a strong leader who leads them to safety. This may indicate a spell that takes control of others and makes them follow commands.

A pair of lovers that are rogues discovers a secret cave and tunnel that leads to an unexpected place. This could indicate a spell that makes others suddenly shift about to locations they are unprepared for.

We then made our way to Sorcerous Sundries to purchase our spells. Before entering the establishment Eldoth cast his Friendship spell. Once inside the store we inquired about Drin’s prices for the amulet and wand that Eldoth had stolen from Ragefast . Halbazzer noticed in our inventory the locks of Abela’s hair and he wasn’t shy at expressing a wish to buy it it for 500 gold. Eldoth, ever the haggler, stated we could only envision selling it for a truly outrageous price. Drin sighed that he was disappointed. But he then offered to have his seamstress sew it into the collar of a cloak for us for a mere 100 gold. He stated the effect would be much like the Likeability spell.

After a brief discussion, we deemed this to be as good an idea as any that might present itself. We made the transaction. Halbazzer said it would take but a few moments to complete. In the meantime we decided we would hold onto the amulet and wand that we had gotten from Ragefast. Faldorn would wear the amulet. If we could now buy her some decent armor, she should be fairly well protected in melee combat.

Sure enough, in a short while Drin returned with a cloak that flowed quite handsomely with a slight shimmer to the rim of its collar. Eldoth tried it on and we could feel its effects at once.

We then made our spell purchases according to the divinations I had made from the stars for this day. The spells we purchased were as follows:

For Eldoth, the spell that gives enormous physical power; and the spell to enchant another to do one’s bidding at two levels of power.

For both Neera and me: the spell that makes the opponent unable to move even an eyelid; and the spell to disorganize the mental faculties of most or all of an entire enemy group.

For Neera: the Terrify spell; a spell that causes an enemy’s mind to become befuddled; and a spell that instantly transports enemies in an area to a location they can’t predict.

For myself a spell take control of another’s mind; and a spell to assume monstrous form in which to do battle.

We then attempted to scribe our spells. Eldoth succeeded only with the spell to Charm another; he failed to scribe the other two. Neera failed with Horrification, and was about to try the next spell. But at that point Eldoth interrupted her to suggest that we purchase some potions that would make it easier to learn the spells by making our minds much keener. The three of us could each buy one at a cost of three hundred thirty-six gold each. The potions would therefore cost us one thousand gold. But we would be nearly certain of success in scribing all our spells. The spells we had already failed with were not tremendously expensive and could be purchased again, Eldoth noted.

This seemed a sound idea to us all. So we made the purchase of the three potions and repurchased the spells that Eldoth and Neera had failed to learn.

There were no more scrolls of the advanced Charm spell left, so we also purchased for him instead a spell to cause Blindness since that surely imparted a sense of panic and helplessness in opponents, which was in line with one of the portents. Eldoth swallowed his Keenness of Mind potion, and learned the Blinding spell with no trouble.

Then on a lark I decided to give Eldoth the advanced Charm spell scroll I had planned to use for myself. It was however the last one.

To our chagrin, even after drinking the potion Eldoth failed to scribe it! He was quite angry at the failure, and began to question Drin about the efficacy of the potion he had sold. I quickly apologized to Halbazzer and bid Eldoth please be silent for now (at which Halbazzer seemed amused).

Neera would try next. Already a bright lass before drinking the potion, she succeeded in scribing all of her spells.

I then took my turn at consuming the potion and learning my spells. I too was successful with each one.

I was a bit concerned with two things in relation to this selection of spells. First, I was quite unsure of how well I would perform as a shapeshifted animal! It seemed wrong for me to ask that Neera or Eldoth try to use that particular spell. But the astrological portents seemed crystal clear that this was a spell we should master at this time. And secondly I was rather concerned about the risk of Neera being unable to shape higher level spells. But there the divinations I had made seemed clear enough that we needed certain types of spells, and she is now the only one who has a chance at casting some of them!—despite the risks.

In any case, these expenditures left us with just a bit over two thousand gold.

Coran then suggested that we take a trip to Silence’s shop again, to see if the cloak that Eldoth now wore might help fetch a better price with Silence, such that we could then purchase some stouter armor for Faldorn. (I think he and Imoen may have been getting a little bored.)

We took a walk to the Shop of Silence and gave Coran’s plan a try. We were able to purchase the armor with about 400 gold left in our purse. We however did a bit of shuffling of various items among party members in order to get the best benefits of them all. Faldorn ended up with the enchanted buckler and superior studded leather. Coran wore an enchanted ring to help protect him from physical attacks, along with his regular studded leather. And Imoen also wore regular studded leather and the new amulet we had stolen from Ragefast.

For now, if we really needed cash, Silence and Drin would both purchase Coran’s enchanted plate mail for two and half thousand gold. We still felt it wise to hold onto however, as Coran may yet need it.

And so we were set to begin our next adventure. Now we could help Eldoth rescue Skie. And if all went well we would continue from there to investigate the Seven Suns. But first it was our obligation to help our friend reunite with his beloved, and free the lass from the tyrannical clutches of her ignoble father.
    edited March 2014
    I'm about to resume this adventure, and it's been ages since I did Eldoth's quest. Upon getting to the estate I now find that that the entire party has to enter the estate in order to complete the quest--which is, to me, a huge immersion buster because it's forced. That's not what this party would do...

So while I avoid meta-gaming whenever possible, and reloading (for PC death only), this is one case where I have resorted to playing it through beforehand just to see what the possibilities are. I think I only did this quest one time in all these years, and it was so many years ago now that I can't even remember how long it's been.

I knew there would be the problem that this party would not have one of its current members leave in order to include Skie. I just couldn't remember how soon it will happen--but I see now that Skie will attempt to join immediately when she spots Eldoth. However if I refuse, Eldoth and Skie will both leave. And that's totally immersion-breaking to me. It just wouldn't make any sense.

So although it is far less than ideal from a non-meta-gaming vantage, I think the best way for this quest to be a believable and satisfying part of the story is to have Skie flee when she interacts with a party member other than Eldoth. It's a major fudge of the design of "letting the fates decide." But this is one case where the quest is so clumsily scripted (especially for this gaming method!) that the other options just result in bizarre outcomes.

Is Skie gone for good when she flees a party member (other than Eldoth) who tells Skie that he or she is there to liberate her from the clutches of her father? If so, that's actually probably a good thing for this game. Because I can work that out in the roleplay and keep Eldoth in the party without Skie. (I actually wouldn't mind having Skie around on her own merits, but not at the expense of cutting another party member.)
    edited March 2014
    A Less Than Perfect Plan

Everyone agreed that there was no need to rest again simply to memorize a few spells. It was unanimously decided that we could now begin aiding Eldoth in his quest to free Skie.

As we began the long walk through the city (her father’s estate was located on the opposite side) the reality of the risks involved in such a larcenous plot sunk in for me. I was more than a bit unsettled at the prospect of provoking the wrath of a Grand Duke of Baldur’s Gate. We could easily wind up in prison—or much worse. But we had given our word to Eldoth, who had thus far proven himself a trustworthy and capable member of the group. And likely due to the effects of the enchanted cloak he wore, I suspect we found ourselves even more susceptible to his soothing reassurances that all should proceed without a hitch.

As we walked past Sorcerous Sundries, both Coran and Eldoth noted in whispers the presence of an acquaintance, although they exchanged no outward recognition as we strolled past him. His name was Niklos, they said. He was a member of the city’s organized Thieves Guild, and a potentially useful contact, Eldoth observed.

When we arrived at the Silvershield estate Eldoth advised that there was virtually no hope of breaking in undetected. He said that our only real hope was to enter as a group and try to persuade the guards and servants that we had legitimate business there. Eldoth advised however that he should not let his face be seen—he would keep his visage well hidden within his hood. Similarly, he would not speak. He said that there was, unfortunately, a fair chance that Skie might have confided to someone in the household that they were romantically involved. This despite her assurances to Eldoth that she had avoided doing so.

Since I most looked the part of a trade emissary, it was agreed that I would do the talking. However I recommended a slight improvement to the plan. I observed that since Scar had contracted us to conduct an investigation of the Seven Suns trading coster—even though secretly—that could ultimately serve us if something were to go terribly awry in Eldoth’s plan. It therefore may be smarter for us to state that, in light of an impending war with Amn, we are investigating reported security risks for the Duke on the part of the Flaming Fist. Because then, if we should be taken into custody, we could at least try to use our connection with Scar to secure our freedom.

All agreed that was probably the wiser of the two strategies. Even Eldoth nodded that it seemed the best strategy.

Thus we knocked on the front door [in-game Coran picks the lock] and were greeted by a servant. A rather tall young man of slim build and a very prominent nose gave us a formal greeting and asked our business. I answered that we were a special investigative detail associated with the Flaming Fist, and were looking into some security concerns regarding the safety of Duke Entar. At this the young servant looked us over… and evidently did not like what he saw, nor did he trust our explanation. In fact, he presumed us to be thieves and ran out the front door, yelling for help from the guards!

There was no time to spare. This development left us no choice but to have Coran use his extraordinary fleetness of foot to seek out Skie and attempt to bring her with us. Eldoth quickly told him the location of Skie’s quarters. Coran would move with his magical haste to get to her, and bring her to us. In case Coran may become overwhelmed by the guards, the rest of us would wait at the entrance to rush to his aid should we hear fighting and Coran’s signature whistle.

Off Coran sped to find Skie as we prepared ourselves for a fight. And he returned in only a few moments—but to our alarm signaling for us to flee! A clearly hostile estate guard was right on his heels. We could also hear the clamor of many more guards galumphing down the marble stairs in the next room.

Out of the front door we raced, running with all our might toward the street. Just outside the door the guard that had given us chase came nearly within striking distance of Neera with his sword! So I turned and stopped to cast a spell to Blind him. Thankfully, the spell worked to keep Neera from harm!

Thus we were able to make our escape, and miraculously before the other guards emerged from the building.

After a few blocks we slowed from a full run to a rapid walk, but didn’t stop until we made it to the city’s bustling market area known as the Wide. There we should be able to easily disappear into the throng if spotted again.

Coran then related to us what had happened. The guard who had chased after us was unfortunately stationed right at the foot of the stairs. So naturally he tried to halt Coran as Coran attempted to make his way up to Skie’s quarters. Coran made an attempt to persuade the guard that he was affiliated with the Flaming Fist and was conducting a security inspection. Not surprisingly, however, the guard didn’t believe him and attacked him. Then Coran used his amazing foot speed to easily slip past the sentry and dart up the stairs.

Coran then found Skie in her quarters on the second story. He quickly attempted to tell her that he was there to help free her from her father. But she had evidently overheard the guard downstairs make a call to arms to the other guards. She assumed him to be a criminal intruder, and cried out for help.

Four guards then burst up the stairs to appear in Skie’s room; and Skie used the opportunity to run down the same set of stairs.

Coran fled down the other set of stairs—the ones he ascended on—and again past the same guard who he had run past on the way up. Coran related that is unclear just where Ski went. But wherever it was, likely the other four guards had joined her and stayed with her to assure her safety.

Upon hearing Coran’s recounting of these events, Eldoth seemed rather deflated at the overall development. He glumly advised us that he felt that there was now far too strong a chance that the servant that had greeted us, or the guard who pursued us, or any townspeople that may have seen us running pell-mell from the estate—any or all of them—could now tie him to the blackmail scheme he had so carefully plotted. That had ruined the plan entirely, he remarked.

Eldoth then smiled, however. He boasted that he knew any number of other ways for us to make our fortune in the great metropolis. Then he paused a moment, his buoyancy seemingly tugged down by a weight, and his eyes grew wistful.

“In light of this unwelcome turn of events, as painful though it may be, I’m afraid I shall have to move on from my beloved Skie,” Eldoth sighed. “Such a pity. I will remember her with such fondness,” he said with a downcast gaze at the cobblestones.

Faldorn coolly noted that for someone who had spoken of being so deeply in love, and seemingly bursting with chivalry, Eldoth seemed strikingly untroubled by letting her go. To this Eldoth simply shrugged and noted that there was “no use in crying over spilt milk.”

Faldorn said nothing in response. But I felt that I could see in her eyes a sense that she had little to no trust of Eldoth. I had come to instinctively trust the druidess’ instincts. And if that was in fact her feeling about Eldoth I was hard pressed to disagree. But perhaps owing in part to the cloak that Eldoth now wore, I felt that he was nevertheless someone that I simply liked having around. And he could prove immensely useful in this daunting maze of a city. Then again, by the same token, I had also to admit that Eldoth’s apparent penchant for larcenous schemes could yet prove to be our undoing. Time would tell, I suppose. I really should cast my runes about it as well, I reminded myself.

I kept these thoughts to myself. But I made a mental note to ask Faldorn later how much of a potential liability she thinks Eldoth might to be for us.

Eldoth then recommended that we have a drink in the Drakon tavern, which was located next to the market. We could then consider some ways to make further income either before or while we investigated the Seven Suns, he recommended. That was a good idea, all agreed. And so we entered the tavern to quench our thirst and hear the bard’s suggestions.

“Where Eldoth leads, it seems others are eager to follow,” I whispered to Faldorn. “For now,” she answered back tersely, but with no hint of emotion.
    No card flips or die rolls there, unfortunately. My main concern was to get through that quest in a way that made some sort of sense story-wise. I'm satisfied that it was credibly roleplayed (roleplaying forming the other half of the equation in this method). I mean, I feel the behavior and decisions were in character for everyone and the events played it out in a pretty believable way (given the scripting). Roleplaying trumps use of a card flip or die roll in this system! ;-P
    edited March 2014
    Alright, now for Eldoth what I want to do is get creative with the die rolling technique for what quests he might recommend. Not that the party is going to get hopelessly sidetracked by side-questing in the city. I just want to mix in a few city quests. With Eldoth being a Bard who knows the Gate, it makes sense to have him recommend some. Once I have identified the quests or targets that he might suggest, I can roll a die to see which one he actually suggests.

This should of course be governed by his desire to make a big score financially. So from a roleplaying vantage what are some city quests that offer big treasure rewards?

I should mention also that I was thinking to develop a kind of bond between Eldoth and Coran, and have them venture off together a bit, with Eldoth practicing his pickpocketing skill and Coran burgling some wealthier homes at night. (Game mechanics-wise the other party members parked in a corner on the same map somewhere but in the narrative they'll be sleeping.) Another thought is that Eldoth will try to persuade Coran--and this will be just between the two of them-- to burgle not only Entar Silvershield's estate, but to also encourage Coran to attempt a major heist as well at the Duchal palace. So I think I will probably do that for sure. Motive: he'll get a larger cut if he's taking a percentage of Coran's haul.

Otherwise, let's see... Eldoth would probably know of Ramazith. He could know of the Oberons' quest, I think. Locations such as the home on the docks occupied by ogre mages is more of a stretch, but not totally implausible. I could flip a card for whether he would know about a target like that. Degrodel's home is another location like that.

Here is a map of the city to help cue ideas, if anyone is interested in making suggestions for what quests or burglary targets Eldoth might recommend as means to fatten the party's coin purse.

If there is anything that takes the party into NE Baldur's Gate then the party encounter's Brielbara, i.e., Coran's quest. I guess Eldoth could take the party on a tour of the Undercellar, and there is access to it through the Blushing Mermaid...

Here's the short list in development:

These for sure:

* burglary target for Coran: Silvershield estate; private suggestion for Coran; Eldoth seeks for a cut for suggesting
    * burglary target for Coran: Duchal Palace; private suggestion for Coran; Eldoth seeks for a cut for suggesting

and one of these according to a die roll:

1) Ramazith's quest; the party has already met Ragefast, but that's fine, they can adapt Ramazith's quest to that (also a good burglary target for Coran)
    2) Areana's quest
    3) Brevlick's quest
    4) burglary target for Coran: Oberon estate
    5) burglary target for Coran: Degrodel's home
    6) burglary target for Coran: Sunin's home
    7) Undercellar tour; intended as pickpocketing opportunity for Eldoth (only one actual target: Quenash--nice treasure, though!)
    8) Visit Low Latern; intended as pickpocketing opportunity for Eldoth (could result in a battle with Desreta and Vay-ya, depending on who they approach and what the roleplayed response is)
    9) burglary target for Coran: ogre mage home on the docks; flip card re: whether Eldoth has heard whispers about it (I guess they'd use illusion spells of some sort to disguise themselves as human or demi-human merchants?) Edit: I flipped a card and it was a black suit; so no, Eldoth has heard nothing about the ogre mage house
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    What's the outcome for failed attempts at pickpocketing in BG City area? Is it something the party can handle without reloading? (I don't think I ever used the PP skill that far into the game and mostly didn't use it at all except for a certain cloak ;-) )
    edited March 2014
    If the pickpocket attempt fails the target becomes hostile. It's then fight or flight. I don't think Flaming Fist show up for a failed pickpocketing attempt. But anyway, Eldoth would gulp down a potion of invisibility before risking a fight, I think.

Eldoth joins with pickpocketing skill at 50% (L3) or 60% (L5), and I have put all of skill points into pickpocketing. So in my game now he is at 55. 95%. With a potion of master thievery that gets him to 135%, which best I can recall (?) should be pretty much foolproof.

The problem with pickpocketing in the BG series is only named NPCs have items. Therefore in the roleplay I'd have to fudge the fact that there's no point in Eldoth choosing nobles as easy targets. And with some of the named NPCs a failed pickpocket attempt could result in his and/or Coran's death(s). But as I said, with a potion he'll have presumably infallible pickpocketing skill...

Edit: Darn I've been away from this game for nearly three months. I had forgotten that where I left off Elodth had just consumed a potion of master thievery that got him to 95. So his natural pickpocket state is 55, and its 95 with the potion. But that's still nearly foolproof.
    I guess with the Luck spell and a potion I could get Eldoth to 100 in pickpocketing. Although I'm actually not sure if 100 assures success for some targets.
    Okay, now Coran and Eldoth can go on their burglary and pickpocketing spree. I just had to set it up and wait for nightfall. Plus attend to the usual housekeeping business of buying spells and potions. Etc.

Probably only really interesting things in the last entry are 1) that the encounter with Desreta and Vay-ya did not result in a battle with them (if they had approached either Coran or Eldoth, the outcome would have been different), and 2) the (for me, rediscovery) that Yeslick is available in Jopalin's Tavern (I had forgotten that EE puts him there).
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    This reads as a very enjoyable playthrough! I love the idea, and it seems to work out quite well!
    I keep thinking of interesting concepts for (no-reload) playththroughs myself.