Skip to content

"Let the Fates Decide" Game Journal (there will be major spoilers)

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Entertaining, and exciting as always!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Hmm... There are quite a few hobgoblins lounging around the Friendly Arm Inn if you haven't killed them yet. And, Joia (sp?) is looking for her missing ring so that's a quest connection. It's not the usual thing Eldoth would probably undertake since she won't be offering a reward (only reputation), but being close to the Inn and nearby guards if anything goes truly wrong, it might be a safe bet for trial run with the color sprays. Maybe too safe for his purposes though?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited June 2014
    Ironically, here the roleplay is around Eldoth selectively showcasing his tactical battle skills. So that kind of requires some meta-gaming, I think.

Also, I think it reasonable to assume that as an evil rogue, Eldoth is fairly well acquainted with the sewers.

Ordulinian is a fixture at Sorcerous Sundries. It seems likely that a bard who lives in BG city would chat with him, and in so doing learn a bit about him. So I wanted to give this slightly better than a 50% chance re: whether Eldoth knows of the love triangle Ordulinian's interest in Arkion and Nemphre. Thus, using the WotC die roller I rolled a 1d3 such that 1 = Eldoth knows nothing of Arkion and Nemphre, and 2 or 3 = he does. I rolled a 2. As to whether Eldoth knows that a corpse is available via the SW city sewer entrance, I followed the same method and rolled a 3.

So I will commence with this quest.

I don't think I've ever even done this quest... If Arkion and Nemphre go hostile, I hope that Color Spray works against them should Eldoth direct the party to use it against either mage. Other spells will be available as well, of course. I really don't know if Eldoth would regard Color Spray as a "go-to" spell for mage encounters versus mobs. But he does receive a solid B grade for tactical knowledge...

Edit: Interesting that in all these years I've never done this one! Because it isn't clear at all to me from walkthroughs how to link Arkion's, Nemphre's, and Ordulinian's quests together into a coherent storyline I admit that I took a look at it from another saved game. And I'm glad that found this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1904/bg1-bug-easytutu-cleanup-aka-nemphre-ordulian-and-petrine-s-cat-angel

which addresses some EE bugs to the Arkion/Nemphre/Ordulinian combination of quests. Because I decided to sample this in the other game and found that Nemphre does not have a pickpocketable onyx ring, nor does she drop one if killed. So I will have to RP that it is pickpockted and CLUA it. The item code for her ring is OHRING12.

Arkion does has a quest item amulet that can be pickpocketed, on the other hand.

It looks like Ordulinian should initiate the quest. Then one gets quests from both Arkion and Nemphre.

I'm not really sure how Eldoth makes a convincing case to agree to Arkion's quest (the meta-game reason for which is to demonstrate the effectiveness of Color Spray versus Sleep)...
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    That was unexpected, but deftly handled! I hope that Neera and Coran don't regret their decision. Since they show up in BG 2 I guess they will at least survive, though. My hope is that one of Neera's spells turns Eldoth into a squirrel, or drops a cow on his head perhaps. :)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Lemernis! Excellent role-playing again. It seems your Barbarian->Transmuter has created a fondness in you for Color Spray no? I found it sad to see the fellowship break, Eldoth had really been putting his stamp on teh whole advanture, am curious to see what direction your party will evolve in now.
    edited June 2014
    @Blackraven Yeah, the experience of relying so strongly on Color Spray in the other game definitely opened my eyes to what an excellent spell it is. For a brief moment there in the Sewer King fight it was actually pretty darn fun to have three arcane casters using it side-by-side (in such a case where enemies are low enough level for it to work, anyway). But ultimately that particular tactic just provided a fun and creative way for Eldoth to assert himself and seek to take over the party. And again, maybe it has just been lousy dice: but Sleep really hasn't proved very effective in this game (by comparison). So it seemed legitimate roleplay as well.

I really felt that Eldoth would not continue to be a passive follower in a party like this. Maybe in an evil party with much stronger personalities he could settle with a supporting role, but that's not what we had. Eldoth would see Oracos as weak. And as such, the opportunity to exploit a situation that had presented itself: the promise of acquiring great treasure using the skills of the party.

Another big factor was that the nymph cloak actually makes its wearer insanely powerful. I can't tell you how relieved I was as a player when I turned a black suit card for whether Eldoth would use the cloak on Oracos in that final interaction between them. There's no way that, eventually, Eldoth would have not used the cloak to make Oracos leave the party, even if he did not kill Oracos off as he had just done with Arkion and Nemphre. (Killing Oracos would have risked alienating Coran and Neera. So, tactically, Eldoth would've probably instead just have made Oracos hand over his belongings, make him depart, and then run after him and away from the others slip the Discipliner onto his finger. ) Faldorn of course would not remain with Eldoth at the helm, and Eldoth surely realized this. But he might have used the cloak to kill her off just for evil satisfaction, though. Not sure what he would have done with Imoen, but perhaps he would have made her get caught pickpocketing and be thrown in jail just so that she would be unable to help Oracos (who would be wandering the streets in a stupor, unable to function).

Anyway, the more I ran with what Eldoth would be about in challenging Oracos for leadership, and the fact that Eldoth is truly evil... plus Faldorn's imperative to complete her own mission for the Shadow Druids... there was no way that that equation could ever balance out.

Mind you, Oracos isn't interested being a hero, or wandering around doing good deeds for humanity. He's just trying to survive. But given that Eldoth and Faldorn forced a choice, it is a clear one for him not to allow Eldoth to usurp his (egalitarian-style) leadership of the party.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Lemernis said:

I really felt that Eldoth would not continue to be a passive follower in a party like this. Maybe in an evil party with much stronger personalities he could settle with a supporting role. But anyway, Eldoth would see Oracos as weak.

Lemernis said:

Anyway, the more I ran with what Eldoth would be about in challenging Oracos for leadership, and the fact that Eldoth is truly evil... plus Faldorn's imperative to complete her own mission for the Shadow Druids... there was no way that that equation could ever balance out.

This is interesting. To me Eldoth had already pretty much become the de facto leader of the pack in Baldur's Gate, with even intelligent but timid Oracos taken in by the charlatan.
    Either way it'll probably be a nice change of pace for you to see dominant Eldoth and some of his adherents leave, and to work with a couple of new faces in the party. It will surely create a different group dynamic.

You might consider adding Kivan to the list of possible companions since you might be stopping by High Hedge. And, given his quest for revenge against Tazok it's actually rather likely he might seek you out now that news of your bandit slaying exploits have spread around a bit. He would probably want to know the details. Once you reveal the connection to the Iron Throne you would have another person motivated to help you take them down. Just a thought!

Either Rasaad or Minsc could be fun companions. I really enjoy how you've fleshed out the personalities of the NPCs. I don't think I'll ever think of Eldoth or Faldorn the same way, so it will be fun to see where you go with some of the other personalities.
    That's right. I had forgotten that!
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I don't often post, but I just wanted to say that I really do enjoy this playthrough and all the trials and tribulations of it. I'm actually a bit sad... I think you mentioned before that you weren't planning on playing this character through BG2, but I'd really like to see that journey. (And Rasaad! I adore poor awkward Rasaad, as odd as he can be at times.)

You've actually given me an idea for a playthrough of a sorceress who uses tarot card readings to make her way around the sword coast. I'd feel like I was copying you too much if I recorded that, but it might be a fun playthrough anyway.
    edited June 2014
    @Twani, I would love to see how someone else approaches this basic concept and develops it in their own individual way. If you do record it, I would enjoy following it.

There are some intriguing possibilities for divination methods including Tarot cards as you mentioned, and also the I Ching, viking rune stones, and so forth. I wouldn't be surprised if they might not all be available for free online.

Trust me, your adventure will be totally unique.

I think the biggest surprise for me in this experiment has been that I really don't know what is going to happen between characters once I give them an independent life of their own via imagination. Thus far in this adventure some of the surprises for me have been:
    • Xzar and Montaron robbed the party, absconding with all the gear that the party wasn't wearing when they slept.
    • Jaheira, Kivan, and Kivan splintered off to form a new party of their own in order to follow the clues into Cloakwood when Oracos instead just wanted to lay low for a while and eventually find a way to leave the Sword Coast entirely.
    • Eldoth progressively sought control of the party for his own narcissistic/sociopathic ends, and succeeded in stealing away two valuable party members.
    • Faldorn as mission-focused to spy on the Iron Throne; also acting as a sort of "Dog Whisperer" for the party's (pack's) "balance"; she is subtly guiding the party as such
    • and from the next journal entry:

• Dynaheir feeling compelled for her and Minsc to head off on their own to battle Edwin by themselves (a key element of the dejemma).

• Minsc as a fundamentally dangerous addition to the party, who is compromised due to his head injury (if eventually added to the party he will routinely use his special berserking ability).

• Yeslick as a priest of Clangeddin should practice his faith; and coupled with the fact that he isn't very bright this creates tensions with Oracos, who has nearly three times Yeslick's IQ.
    So none of these are things that I anticipated when I started. They all came about organically.
    I agree, that with this divination method gets much enjoyment in the playthrough. I plan to use it, just don't know how to use it in my current game. But i'm thinking.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    @Lemernis, if you wouldn't mind it, then I believe I will try a tarot card playthrough myself, although only after BG1 Romantic Encounters is released (what can I say? I'm a sucker for romance... or, er, random sex, as the case may be). I don't want to copy you, but if you'd be interested in my playthrough, I'd be glad to record it.

So far, enjoying yours. And hoping poor Rasaad stays around for a bit, at least long enough to provide him with some closure revolving his brother.
    edited June 2014
    I think Rasaad will stay. Due to game engine limitations I'm in an awkward position now with Dynaheir and Minsc. I have a party of five, so D & M can't join without me booting someone to accommodate them. Which roleplaying-wise is not something the party would do.

Now if either Minsc or Dynaheir dies in the out-of-game battle they will soon have with Edwin, then there will be one more slot for one of them. But the party is also headed now to interview Shar-Teel.

I think the party I'd most enjoy finishing out the game with would be: Imoen, Faldorn, Yeslick, Rasaad, and Shar-Teel. But I'm intrigued at the idea of playing Minsc as actually regularly having his berserker rages.

So second best for me would be Minsc as such instead of Shar-Teel. Third best is Dynaheir takes the last slot. And fourth best is Neera returns to take the sixth slot.

But we'll have to see how it goes.
    edited June 2014
    Twani said:

@Lemernis, if you wouldn't mind it, then I believe I will try a tarot card playthrough myself, although only after BG1 Romantic Encounters is released (what can I say? I'm a sucker for romance... or, er, random sex, as the case may be). I don't want to copy you, but if you'd be interested in my playthrough, I'd be glad to record it.

I look forward to it and will be very intrigued to see how someone else works with the basic concept. You will undoubtedly put your own unique stamp on how you go about it.

I have journaled very extensively in order to demonstrate the concept, including resource management so that others can vividly see that with such a roleplaying approach the party makes do with much less (i.e., there's no powergame/meta-game assembling of the best equipment).

But I have to say that I have found that the journaling is for me the primary vehicle through which the characters truly come to life independently, and in ways that surprise me. It is through that creative writing process that that happens for me. I'm pretty sure that (for me) it would not happen as clearly if it all just remained thoughts in my head (versus being recorded). Through writing it out, the character development and story takes twists and turns that I simply don't anticipate.

So the main point is that when I write, it is for me to better enjoy the game. I do it so that I can have the pleasure of that element of surprise and to get to know the characters in imagination more fully. I enjoy sharing the process, and I'm glad that others appreciate the adventure. But the main reason I do it is that the writing energizes the creative process.

Now all that said, I will be truly fascinated to see how it all comes to life in someone else's creative imagination.
    Oracos proved himself a capable person in the fight, and he bested the two fighter. Cheers for him! And i wonder what will the party do with Shar-Teel.