Skip to content

inXile to make Planescape: Torment spiritual successor on Kickstarter.

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Chow said:

Anyone that votes real-time turn based is a traitor.

FTFY

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Chow said:

Anyone that votes real-time is a traitor.

I voted Turn-Based myself, even if in general I prefer Real-Time with Pause. In fact I believe Turn-Based suits better a Torment-like game, i.e. a game in which combat should be less frequent and mostly avoidable.

For Project Eternity I'd prefer Real-Time instead because it's supposed to be a BG-like game.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Cerevant said:

FTFY

Traitor.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    OMG it's tight:)

I voted real-time and I do not feel like a traitor at all.

Either way will be fun, but I miss my PST days.
    I will never forgive you.
    edited November 2013
    Well, I hope they take the compromise position: RTP with a default set of auto-pause which simulates Turn Based. Regardless, a dead even split like this makes it pretty clear they are going to have to support both in some form or other or risk alienating half their fan base.
    Depends how many are voting for each choice. If only a few dare to bring the name of their clan into the mud for seven generations by voting real-time, then they're not really alienating that many people by going turn-based instead, now are they?
    @Chow,

To be truth, I don't really care how they handle battles, cause this game is really not about the battles. I never missed, for example, that PST had that few battles and yet, it was arguably the best crpg I ever played.
    I just had to pick an option, for my conscience, and battles in BG, IWD or PST were more fun for me, than in Fallout or ToEE. It's just that.
  • DeathOfNamesDeathOfNames Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2013
    Planescape: Torment was "real-time", and it was apparently a bit of a success? No?

I'm rather shocked that this is even being discussed. If they change the combat system, and thus the dynamic of the game, then there's really not much left. Why not make everything turn based? Then it can truly be a completely different game than the one they are supposed to "succeed".

To sum up. There will be no:
    -Nameless One, Annah, Morte, Dak'kon, Vhailor, Nordom or Fall-from-Grace.
    -Queen of Pain, Sigil, Factions or anything else "Planescape".

Basically no characters, locations or story elements from the original. All that was left was the "feel" and style of play, but that's now being changed too I suspect.

If they change the combat system so completely, then I really don't see what "Tides of Numenera" has to do with "Torment" at all. "Spiritual" successor or not.

It all just seems like a cheap ploy to get backers, and then make a "Wasteland 2" with a darker story. The game might still be good, but it won't be "Torment".
    Post edited by DeathOfNames on
    I don't think the issue of real-time and turn-based is what make "Torment". All jokes aside, it's not the choice that revolves around the entire matter.

It's mostly just how combat works, and Planescape Torment was never about combat, now was it?
    @Chow that's basically what I said.
    Don't try to get yourself out of the shame and blood-vengeance.
    Who ever said, "Planescape: Torment would have been a really great game if it just had Turn Based Combat" I'm completely puzzled that this is up for debate.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Cerevant said:

Who ever said, "Planescape: Torment would have been a really great game if it just had Turn Based Combat" I'm completely puzzled that this is up for debate.

Planescape: Torment would have been a really great game even if it hadn't any combat at all :p
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I vote Real Time.
    If only because Chow sacrifices an elf to his Dark Gods whenever someone does.
    KALI MA SHAKTI DE
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/686723

New update.
    TL;DR: Combat vote results completed – statistically it was a tie! Torment: Tides of Numenera’s combat (and Crises) will be turn-based combat. We’ll address concerns expressed by Real-Time with Pause fans in our design.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013

To sum up. There will be no:
    -Nameless One, Annah, Morte, Dak'kon, Vhailor, Nordom or Fall-from-Grace.

There is no "Torment" with no Nameless One as there are no shadows without light.
    The game PS:Torment was named that way because
    [spoiler=Planescape Torment]
    He realizes that living is a Torment, and it is endless on him, and he also Torments others with that, since every time he dies, a Shadow comes into existence and another person dies to revive TNO, so the Fortress of Regrets is like a shell, so he can die forever there, thus completing the circle (HI Dehionarra).
    [/spoiler]
    And that is all I gotta say berks, maybe a game like PS:T that has nothing to do with it sounds interesting anyway.
    Since now, my favorite thing in this thread was @Chow with his Dark Gods and a screen from Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom.
    "Nothing shocks me, I'm a scientist."
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Cerevant said:

The fact that people ever say "Planescape: Torment was a really great game" at all is what baffles me.

The fact that people ever say "Planescape: Torment was a really great game" at all is what baffles me.

It's more of a visual novel than a game, really. But it's still pretty great.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Lets be honest here. PS:T was a really great story but combat was never very good in it.

The problems is that the RT with Pause combat of the original ensured that the pacing of the game did not suffer.

I don't want combat to be the focus of this new game either, and I feel like an turn based system is just going to emphasise he combat over other aspects of the game, and it seems likely that over half of your time in game is going to be spent killing stuff, as opposed to about 1/10th of your time in the original

I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but I'm not getting my hopes up
    Did you even read what they were saying about the game? The combat is not going to be a focus or in any way emphasized.

From what I gather, there will be even less of it than PS:T had.
    edited December 2013
    Yes

This is just damage mitigation from day zero.
    Don't make the wrong decision in the first place and you won't need to justify your decision by trying to emphasise that an obviously important decision for the game wasn't actually an important decision
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I would have prefered they kept RTwP. But this uses a completely new set of rules that are quite recent AFAIK so I guess I can trust them (they said they prefered turn). Thing is, though I like might and magic I really dont want Torment to be like it.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Yeah, it sucks to me too. Fortunately, I didn't back the game, so I can choose to buy it or not after seeing how it looks. But the devs behavior with this is dishonest imho. No matter how much of a combat is in the game, it is an important and integral part of any cRPG, and Torment no less. As much as it is even a descriptive element of the entire game. So they should have figure out what they wanted and announced it at the very beggining.
    ajwz said:

What, you think they were going to make a full combat game where you'd fight through endless hordes of enemies, like Icewind Dale, but when they saw how many people would hate turn-based combat they backed away?

I think you're full of shit.
    edited December 2013
    Chow said:

ajwz said:

What, you think they were going to make a full combat game where you'd fight through endless hordes of enemies, like Icewind Dale, but when they saw how many people would hate turn-based combat they backed away?

I think you're full of shit.
    Don't take your anger out on me
    It's a pathetic decision
This discussion has been closed.