Skip to content

Some Sounds Are Far Too Loud?

I thought this might have been raised in the bug forum, but surprisingly to me it isn't, so I'd like to pose the question here - has anyone else experienced the following:

I find that certain sounds, most obviously and repetitively that of magic missile impacts and the healing spell noise, are much too loud, and make it very hard to adjust the volume to a level conducive to easy listening.

I find that that setting the "Sound Effects" volume slider to 10% makes the above two sounds roughly in line with what you'd expect when the "Voice" volume slider is set at 70% - however this makes all other of the other sound effects almost inaudible.

I don't think I should have to set most sounds to a ridiculously low level just so that magic missiles and healing spells don't blow out my eardrums.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    So I'm not the only one who every now and then gets a jumpscare caused by Jaheira yelling "AAACQUAENMAHTAAAAHHH."

Me, I always found the music to be a little too loud without some adjusting. I do think it's nice, however, that they bothered to make the volume automatically go down when you're selecting a character's soundset.

With that in mind, a little normalizing of sound effects across the board wouldn't be too far out of an idea, would it?
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    edited March 2013
    There is a few sounds that are a little over the top but i dont find it too bad. Try playing skyrim and running into a bear i swear to god Bethesda wanted nothing more than to troll us they are literally at least twice as loud as anything else in the entire game. Theres been a large number of nights where ive been trying to sleep only to hear a bear growl from my mate playing skyrim in the other room, followed by a "sorry" to which I generally respond with an unamused grunt.

P.S. Loving the Fear and Loathing portrait Lock lol.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Crickets at night. LOUD.
  • MosesHallMosesHall Member Posts: 28
    @Lock: Yes I totally agree with the OP. But perhaps that's by design, since magic is... well, magic. Or it could be an effect of the Ogg encoding, since I feel like Ogg tends to be rather on the "bright" side, and some of the spell effects like healing have some quite high frequency components. May be way out in left field on this, no one ever accused me of being an audiophile.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    The only sounds that have really bugged me so far is the "steam engine" or "factory" sound in the Elfsong/Sorcerous sundries area of BG City - it seems to appear only in daylight hours (outdoors only) so I'm guessing it's a "feature".

Altho I get a lot of sound breaking up to the point where it's not understandable in most of the movie cut scenes too so maybe what I'm hearing near the Elfsong is not what it's supposed to sound like.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Wanderon said:

The only sounds that have really bugged me so far is the "steam engine" or "factory" sound in the Elfsong/Sorcerous sundries area of BG City - it seems to appear only in daylight hours (outdoors only) so I'm guessing it's a "feature".

It's not and will be removed in the next patch.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    Just to clarify my original issue - putting all sliders to a moderately high level within the game seems to equalise the differences. Makes me wonder if a few sounds aren't flagged under the wrong sound category?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I always wondered why Tranzig's voice was so quiet. Now that I can hear it I am starting to wonder if they did that on purpose to hide what is imho pretty sub-par voice acting...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Grey DeLisle rocks. She's the reason I can't play Arkham City without thinking of Viconia.
  • LimboLimbo Member Posts: 7
    Hey, I'm getting the same problem and it's nearly making it too hard to continue the game. Bird sounds, water and ocean sounds are nearly tearing my eardrums. Equalizing the sound doesn't seem to do anything. Thanks.