Skip to content

[Request] Arena that can be used for single-player or multi-player combat

AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKAN_ALPACA_WADAFUK Member Posts: 29
edited July 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Put Deathmatch Mode back in and add some decent matchmaking. and everything will be just fine.

Tanthalas EDIT: Changed the OP to include HeroicSpur's original post:

Hey everyone,

A thread was recently posted asking for deathmatch/ a PvP multiplayer option. My request is for something similar, but that can be of equal benefit to single-players, that is an arena location.

Perhaps an arena might be added somewhere, where the party members can test their mettle against increasingly powerful foes, or unique class challenges (like a thieves arena). There could also be individual arena challenges, where each party member can fight for their own fame and glory (a bit like in the Drow city in BG2, the challenges in IWD2 or the arena in Witcher 2).

Who wouldn't want to seem some 1v1, mage on mage action?

This could also allow for individual party members to come up against each other, vying for the crown of champion, possibly by having some kind of ranking system.

I don't see what harm it would do, and would be immense fun. It would allow for more unique opportunities in single and multiplayer play.

Please don't confuse this as a request for a new game mode. This would be a location/quest within the game.

Below I've set up a skeletal scenario of how this might work:

(Party arrives at location/enters arena if it's an indoor location into a prepping area, or outside if it's an outdoor stlye ring. The camera moves to show two individuals fighting, with spectators. Once one of them is killed/has yielded, control returns. Player (P) can then speak to people, particularly the arena master (AM))

P: Well met, what is this place?
AM: I'm surprised you don't know! This is the finest arena on the Sword Coast, where the bravest and the best can test their mettle for fame and glory.
P: Interesting, can anyone participate?
AM: Yes, but if you're new you'll have to go through the qualifying rounds first. We don't want to see anyone hopelessly overmatched on the big stage. Not good for business if the crowd don't think they're getting their monies worth.
P: Are there any other kinds of tournament you run?
AM: Without a doubt my good sir. The crowd always loves a good fireworks display, if you have a mage willing to test his magical might. If stealth, style and grace are your game, then the rogues tournament is for you. We also run a group tournament, we know how all of these adventuring parties love to boast about being the best, here you get to prove it.
P: Sign me up.
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    You mean a PVP option?
  • AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKAN_ALPACA_WADAFUK Member Posts: 29
    Yeah, exactly! A pvp option was left almost finished in the files, so I thought maybe it could be used for real this time.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    i think it was the Arena Deathmatch type, it was supposed to be in Throne of bhaal.
    This PvP mode could be really fun.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    I would love a PvP option, it would be a great addition.
    I agree. PvP would be nice.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Would be an interesting element of multi, sometimes you want to see how your character would fare vs your friends.

I would prefer this is an ingame feature though. An arena location that can be visited, where you can participate in sp or mp tournaments (or both).
    Just make it a totally different mode of the game. Game modes would be: PVP Duels, and Co-Op Story Mode.
    Do you think it would be more work for them to create the infrastructure for a completely new game mode (and the permission requirement that comes with it) or just to make a new area within the game?

In any event I don't feel particularly strongly on this issue, so whatever they do is fine by me.
    edited May 2012
    It would be as easy as creating a button, as in BG2, to choose between SoA and ToB gameplay.

PVP Arena would be just an additional option. One large gallery area for players to communicate before commencing into battles and then the Main Arena which would be two screens by two screens big, or so.

Different duel types, 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5. Teams could be assembled randomly, or arranged. Or even a wicked "Free For All" match type :) or even a Team FFA of 2v2v2.

These are just thoughts.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    I rather not see my ass get kicked by my best friend :/
    It's just some friendly competition, dude, don't be a redditor.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't mind the idea of a PVP arena, but if it descends into rankings and ladders, I know for a fact that I'll never use it. It's not the reason why I play RPGs, but if there's a demand for it, it's fine with me.
    IF Beamdog decides to use the leftover code, there will be no ladders nor rankings. I do not know if it was planned for DM to be pre-arranged matches, or random matchmaking though
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    If there was PvP, would 3v3 be good enough? Supporting PvP is one thing, but supporting 6 players on each side is entirely something else(lots of hard coded assumptions of there only being 6 characters throughout the code)
    I believe 6v6 would be a bit too much to micromanage while playing against a regular human player.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Hi ScottBrooks,

couldn't that be un-hard coded, perchance?
    edited June 2012
    Hey everyone,

A thread was recently posted asking for deathmatch/ a PvP multiplayer option. My request is for something similar, but that can be of equal benefit to single-players, that is an arena location.

Perhaps an arena might be added somewhere, where the party members can test their mettle against increasingly powerful foes, or unique class challenges (like a thieves arena). There could also be individual arena challenges, where each party member can fight for their own fame and glory (a bit like in the Drow city in BG2, the challenges in IWD2 or the arena in Witcher 2).

Who wouldn't want to seem some 1v1, mage on mage action?

This could also allow for individual party members to come up against each other, vying for the crown of champion, possibly by having some kind of ranking system.

I don't see what harm it would do, and would be immense fun. It would allow for more unique opportunities in single and multiplayer play.

Please don't confuse this as a request for a new game mode. This would be a location/quest within the game.

Below I've set up a skeletal scenario of how this might work:

(Party arrives at location/enters arena if it's an indoor location into a prepping area, or outside if it's an outdoor stlye ring. The camera moves to show two individuals fighting, with spectators. Once one of them is killed/has yielded, control returns. Player (P) can then speak to people, particularly the arena master (AM))

P: Well met, what is this place?
    AM: I'm surprised you don't know! This is the finest arena on the Sword Coast, where the bravest and the best can test their mettle for fame and glory.
    P: Interesting, can anyone participate?
    AM: Yes, but if you're new you'll have to go through the qualifying rounds first. We don't want to see anyone hopelessly overmatched on the big stage. Not good for business if the crowd don't think they're getting their monies worth.
    P: Are there any other kinds of tournament you run?
    AM: Without a doubt my good sir. The crowd always loves a good fireworks display, if you have a mage willing to test his magical might. If stealth, style and grace are your game, then the rogues tournament is for you. We also run a group tournament, we know how all of these adventuring parties love to boast about being the best, here you get to prove it.
    P: Sign me up.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Something like this could be added to the Carnival in Nashkel. If there were some space on the map to do it.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    mmmh... that doesn't match with Baldur's Gate 1

that was ok in BG2 in the Drow's city because only avalable in that chapter but i'm not sure it's a good stuff gor BG1
    He's talking PvP.

If anything, Diablo 1 & 2 has taught us that PvP should be restricted to certain areas of the game :)

PK'ing was fun though :)
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Sounds like a great idea! Maybe you'd have to go to somewhere a little less reputable though.... maybe the Zhents could set up something a couple days east of the Gate where things aren't so well controlled...
    @Seldar I appreciate where you're coming from, but do you think tournaments are out of place in a BG style setting? You would think that would be a very common form of entertainment/sport.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    @HeroicSpur, in BG2 this sort of thing was confined to the Coronet and it wasn't so reputable there... For high profile bouts you'd need to host the tournament in locations that would be much less easily raided by guards I'd imagine.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    It's just my opinion but I don't like arena like the one in The Witcher 2. The one in Oblivion was funny but part of a quest, to become Champion of Cyrodill

This is completely different in BG1, or simply 4 ou 5 fights at the Nashkel festival
    @Seldar: You're right, it could be toned down to make it something a bit more wholesome. I think the main aim is to have an area where you can potentially test yourself or individuals in your party, including against each other.

I think it would slot in very nicely at the Nashkel festival. In fact on that point I think considering it's a festival there's a marked lack of things to do there, this might be just the thing to spurce it up and make it more worthwhile.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    I would totally fall in love with this idea.

Although, as @Seldar said, I would not mind the arena being a bit more than just that, an arena. Make it be a quest chain, huge quest chain if possible. Or maybe make it so that the game reacts to your arena status.

Just the arena by itself, if done correctly and challenging enough, would be great. But it would be even greater if we could get some more flavor our of it.

Some ideas:

1) The game reacting to your arena status
    2) Arena tittles or status for each class and for the group. (you could 1v1 in the arena with each class in its own or together as a group)
    3) Let there be some rewards for defeating the most challenging fights.
    4) Allow random Npcs to come up and challenge you if you have a high reputation.

I don't know, stuff like that would be awesome in my opinion. I just love the whole "arena/pit" feel of this suggestions.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think there's already a request along these lines to add a place for PvP.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Baldur's Gate is not this kind of game that would be compatible with an arena, but we never know what can happens. Slavery is forfeit in either Baldur's Gate city as Amn so you can have some problems to make an arena.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hahahahhahahaha nicely said @Zafiro, but i think mages/sorcerers would win uncontested, with timestop and improved alacrity ( however it spelled) it would be game over for anyone that would be even a screen away from the mage/sorcerer even inquistors couldnt get in fast enough to flay them to bitties