Skip to content

Racism at its finest (story spoilers)

Comments

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Almost always an Elf or Half-Elf. That's just my preference for multi-class over dual-class, generally. I only ever play a Human if it's an Inquisitor.

Although there is something to be said for a solid Half-Orc.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Fardragon said:

There is a very simple reason why AD&D included half elves and half orcs as PC races - both are in Tolkien.

Where do they show up in Tolkien?
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    TJ_Hooker said:

Elrond is a half-elf, for one.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I quite often like to dual-class characters, so for that they have to be human. And of course a couple of classes are available only to humans.

When I'm not planning to dual, I pick whichever race seems appropriate and credible for the class (or multi-class) which I'm intending to play.

I'm currently on my third run through BGee, and all three Charnames have been human so far. However, I've also got a few more characters which I've already rolled-up and stored for future runs. The one I'm probably going to play next is a gnome, but I've also got a couple more humans and a couple of half-elves and an elf and a dwarf and a halfling waiting to go in the future.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    I never played any of the short races before. After BG:EE i rolled a halfling fighter/thief - Just ended up loving halfling thief-builds. Elf is my second prefered race for assassin, sorcerer or mage, and a dwarwen fighter/cleric just feels right. Humans, gnomes, half-orc and half-elfs? Nah, actually never use them in BG:EE. Rolled some in the Black Pits, but i never really enjoyed the style as much.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I usually only did elves and humans, but in the last run I tried a half-orc, and it worked pretty amazingly. So I think I'll be doing more of those in the future.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    bbear said:

The word choice of the title of this thread could have been better...

Clearly you clicked. so i think the title works.
    Cobbweb said:

This poll needs a multi select option. Since BG:EE I have been playing only short non-humans. Pre BG:EE i would play mostly half elf.

multi would defeat the point. I make no reference to BG 1 , BG2 or BGEE. its simple. when playing MOST games which race do you choose. Thought it was pretty straight forward.

I'm just curious as to which race most people choose.
    edited March 2013

okay question

how come there is half-elves and half-orcs but no half-halfings, half-dwarves, half-gnomes or half-humans

seems a little unfair that basically only half of the races can have half counterparts. You really should be able to pick both halves of your race, such as Half-Halfing Half Gnome Illusionist Thief

maybe because those are the only options in the game?

and the "half" refers to human if you didn't understand that. so a half-human? really? a half-orc and a half-elf are BOTH half human...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Human because I like to keep the dual option open for my thieves, and from the new kits, I really enjoy Blackguard. I guess I could play half elf with my jester, but it makes more rp sense for him to be human. The advantages as half elf aren't anything I need for my playstyle (pickpocket, ya, nice, but there aren't many targets, so the occassional potion works well enough).

Also, in Durlag's Tower in the room with the wyverns, one warrior you can summon from a statue is half-dwarven.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I play alot of thieves and Archers in my games and don't like playing shorties (still love them, just not my thing) so having the extra Dex is very nice. The longsword and bow THAC0 is also a plus. If it's not elf, it's human.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I've never played anything other than human in BG. I prefer being human, and I prefer dual class. I've tried elf in IWD.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    i like halflings alot too but there rubbish choice of classes makes them alot less fun to me
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I usually be a human or an half-elf. Though the only time I play as a human is to be a paladin any other class I usually try to be a half-elf. Though if you care I don't think I would ever be a gnome. Just have bad images of those gnomes.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    TJ_Hooker said:

Fardragon said:

There is a very simple reason why AD&D included half elves and half orcs as PC races - both are in Tolkien.

Half Elf should be obvious.

Saruman uses half-orc spies. (didn't make it into the movie).
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Depends on Class
    Fighter-Dwarf or Human
    Ranger-Elf or Human
    Paladin-Human
    Cleric- All but mostlyhuman
    Druid Human
    Thief- All
    Bard-Human
    Mage Human,
    multiclass Gnome
    Barbarain 1/2 orc
    Monk_ Human
  • Pluc082Pluc082 Member Posts: 80
    I loved to play a dwarf but now with the new penalities (-2 dex, -3 cha), I will avoid them :(
  • DarrylsonDarrylson Member Posts: 87
    Pluc082 said:

I loved to play a dwarf but now with the new penalities (-2 dex, -3 cha), I will avoid them :(

There's a fix for that...somewhere. Regardless it'll be fixed whenever the next patch rolls around.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Humans, always humans. I'm also fine with the other races especially if they are the friendly sort like halflings, besides elves that is. Too much arrogance, too much frolicking, too much we are superior. Of course not all of them are like that.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Fardragon said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Fardragon said:

Huh, I didn't even remember half-elves being in the movies. And it's been way too long since I read the books to remember anything as specific as half-elves/orcs.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    TJ_Hooker said:

Fardragon said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Fardragon said:

Huh, I didn't even remember half-elves being in the movies. And it's been way too long since I read the books to remember anything as specific as half-elves/orcs.
    Elrond is known as "Elrond Half-Elven", though I am not sure that is mentioned in the movie. It is in the books, The Hobbit, and very nearly every side-game based on LoTR (War in the North comes to mind).

So you may not have noticed it in the movie, but it is there (albeit hidden to those who aren't already aware).
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited March 2013
    Usually Human, as A) all the single class options (except recently Dwarven defender) B) if I play as any race that has a longer lifespan and higher age of maturity (assume 18 for humans and 30-40 something for halflings I think) Imoen's line about us being the same age and growing up together kind of falls apart. Then again, that entire character falls apart...

Edit: Ah, I see this is a FAVORITE, not a "what do I play the most"...either Human, Half-Elf or Dwarf, but if Duergar or Hobgoblins were playable I wouldn't play anything else ever...ever.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    My default PC in the BG series was a half elven ranger, so it's half elf or full elf for me.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    edited March 2013
    I would say it is an almost equal divide between human and half-elf. I voted for half-elf. Here is why.

I feel the most affinity towards the human race, for obvious reasons, but also because they have no racial bonus other than being able to dual-class (which I have never used for Charname). It brings about the "Anything you can do, I can do" mindset, which I like.

It is a similar story for the half-elf. They have only minor racial bonuses with resistance to sleep and charm, as well as a degree of infravision. They are often looked down upon for being a half breed, which also lends to a desire to overcome and rise above. I have always had a soft spot for half-elves due to one of my first characters being a half-elf, both in Baldur's Gate and also Neverwinter Nights. Finally, I prefer the half-elf paperdoll and their in-game avatar/animation model. Humans are quite bulky. I am quite slight of frame, more akin to a half-elf. The half-elf is thus my favorite race, all things considered.

The half-elf and the elf share the same paperdoll and in-game avatar/animation model (I am not sure of the correct descriptive term here) do they not? I've often wondered if there were any differences in appearance over the saga.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Human, almost exclusively -- rarely, half-elf or elf. I do not emulate the ways of the dwarven folk. :-)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Human, cos it feels the most natural and fits in the story line best. I've got bored of the human mage avatar with that beard and changed it into elven mage avatar with SK once, though.

In Arcanum I've played a very good hearted, kind, charismatic and persuasive half-orc and it was among the best RP experiences I've ever had. Everyone was repulsed and angry at first but once my char did his sweet talk and showed his benevolence by his actions, most everyone has started to accept and even like him. You can't do this in BG, sadly.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Wiggles said:

I play alot of thieves and Archers in my games and don't like playing shorties (still love them, just not my thing) so having the extra Dex is very nice. The longsword and bow THAC0 is also a plus. If it's not elf, it's human.

@Wiggles - actually currently elves get the THAC0 bonus with *all* swords, including two-handed, scimitars, katanas etc., not just long swords, though they should really only get the bonus for long swords and short swords...
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I only played a 1/2 elf once and that was on my most recent playthrough as a a
    male 1/2 elf totemic druid
    he is going to be the CHARNAME i use in BG:2 EE for the Jaheira romance