How much iPad do I really need?

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited March 2013 in Off-Topic
Here are the needs I expect to have for an iPad (the large size, not the mini):

- playing BG, naturally
- maybe other games if I ever get the bug for something else
- watching a movie now and then
- websurfing, email, etc.
- mainly for home use, eg, sitting on sofa while watching TV (no need for keyboard; would connect to home network router)
- do not intend to store much data on it (eg, would stream movies)

How much computer do I actually need? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this thing. Think iPad 2 Wi-Fi 16GB will be just fine for my needs? Would I regret not getting Retina display?

Comments

• VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    I'd go for a 3 then. Retina is really nice. I don't have one myself however. As a student I can easily make do with my computer and telephone. :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm about to pull the trigger on the iPad 4 16G wi-fi w/ retina display. At the Apple store now.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Any iPad can do all of that, except BG requires a 2 or newer. I have a 3, the retina display is awesome and I would recommend it highly. Obviously you can save some money by getting a reconditioned unit from Apple, and as I understand it, even 4s are now available that way.
    Bought it! Looks pretty sweet. Gotta play me some BG:EE when I get home. :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Things starting with i are evil. Evil I tell you. You don't need any of those... well... too late...
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    How so? I think their tablets are priced fairly fair and the ecosystem is unbeatable. :) Their desktops and notebooks are a complete waste of money in my opinion. Too much money for too little hardware.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2013
    It was cost, a budget to stay within.

Can you play BG:EE on Air? That's was actually a real consideration here.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Lemernis It works I tested both in my Macbook Pro and my Wife's Macbook Air.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited March 2013
    Apple's mode of operation is that you are to replace your device every other year. The iPad 2 is two years old and will likely become EOL this fall with the release of the next iOS. The iPad 1 is already EOL as they no longer support it with software upgrades.
    @bigdogchris Yeah I expect I'll have to buy a new IPad this year if I want to go on updating my OS... But iOS 7 would have to have some new feature that is really interesting as right now my Ipad 2 does everything I need, from text editing to browsing the internet...
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited March 2013
    Well, the lack of iOS support isn't the problem. The problem is that some newer apps require the latest iOS.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Lemernis said:

It was cost, a budget to stay within.

Can you play BG:EE on Air? That's was actually a real consideration here.

You can get a great Windows laptop for what you're paying for an iPad.
    edited March 2013
    I think part of the motivation was that I wanted to see what all the fuss was about for the iPad. It was also a birthday gift. :)

I have a Windows laptop (Lenovo--can't play BG:EE on it, unfortunately, because it has Intel chipset graphics) only 2 yrs old, so I don't need one of those. Had a budget of five bills.

I think it's really neat to be able to play BG:EE on a tablet. Very fun! In general, it's nice to sit on the sofa with then TV on, chatting with my wife, and surf or play the game. But I still prefer playing BG:EE in my office on PC sitting in a comfortable chair, with a mouse, my 27" monitor, and surround sound. That's still number one for playing the game.
    Soon you'll see that laptops and tablets have different uses. I always asked myself why would I want a tablet until I got one.
    Well, I'm still getting acquainted with the iPad but so far it looks like a magnified version of the iPhone. (Which I think is awesome.) Are the other uses you're mentioning more for outside of the home? I kind of feel like I have the phone for that, which rests unobtrusively on my belt.
    @Lemernis Yes. It's practical for reading, for instance, better than a computer or phone.
    Ah, I could use it for reading at home too then, certainly. Yeah, I saw that as my wife and I were sort of demoing it at the store. Looked very cool.
    @Bhaaldog Yep You can have an entire page on the screen all the time in a comfortable screen size. I really don't like reading anything in a landscape mode and that's the only way to read in a computer unless you have a monitor that can change orientation.
  • blipmusicblipmusic Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2013
    mlnevese said:

@Bhaaldog Yep You can have an entire page on the screen all the time in a comfortable screen size. I really don't like reading anything in a landscape mode and that's the only way to read in a computer unless you have a monitor that can change orientation.

There's an app for that. (No Air but I've tried it on a MBP retina 15" holding it like a book with SimpleComic https://github.com/arauchfuss/Simple-Comic and it works quite well - on the other hand Simple Comic has a rotate function, as do Skim IIRC). There's probably something that does the trick for free out there.

Sorry for the OT.