Skip to content

Durlag's Tower is breaking my brain (SPOILERS!)

JakeratboyJakeratboy Member Posts: 8
Really unsure if this is the right place for this question, so please tell me if I'm out of line. But I'm having trouble in the under-levels of this tower and I'm just really not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm on the 3rd level down, I believe, and I only just figured out that I could attack the Sparring Dummies. Durlag's Doppelganger came and attacked. And I slew him. I slew him dead.

Now I'm at a loss. I attacked all three, and nothing happened. I've checked a few guides and found info on placing the rune stones in the Sparring Dummy's inventory, but that didn't seem to do anything. I've tried all three colors, in each dummy, actually. I've tried hitting them, talking to them, talking to myself, etc. I have access to what I *believe* to be the Throne Room (there's a red chair, looks kinda throne-y), but every FAQ I've checked says there should be some sort of crown in there?

There is not. I've hit TAB, but seen no hidden items. I've tried the stone gargoyles again, and nothing. I'd try standing on my head if it was an option.

If there are any adventurers on here with some sage advice to give out I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

I'm on the 3rd level down, I believe, and I only just figured out that I could attack the Sparring Dummies. Durlag's Doppelganger came and attacked. And I slew him. I slew him dead.

I thought it would be a mistake to make the dummies neutral.

I've checked a few guides and found info on placing the rune stones in the Sparring Dummy's inventory, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Where did you read that? That won't do a thing. The stones only work once when you first put them in your inventory.

talking to myself

Lol.

I have access to what I *believe* to be the Throne Room (there's a red chair, looks kinda throne-y), but every FAQ I've checked says there should be some sort of crown in there?

There is not. I've hit TAB, but seen no hidden items. I've tried the stone gargoyles again, and nothing. I'd try standing on my head if it was an option.

I hate to break it to you but you may be screwed... If you take to much time on that floor (a day or so) or leave before finishing it; loose items on the ground will decay. This may prevent you from moving on.
    edited March 2013
    Lemme test a possible fix real quick and get back to you...
  • JakeratboyJakeratboy Member Posts: 8
    That would be awesome, thank you. I have left and come back several, several times. I like to start things and then go do other things, coming back much later. In games and real life. Is Baldur's Gate trying to teach me something?
  • silofsilof Member Posts: 5
    I found this walkthrough very good: http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/durlagstower2.php

if you have accsess to the throne room you've done most of the confusing stuff, also i think the dummies are useless after you reach the throne room.
    Ok. I think there are two options but first I have a question. Are you on one of those ipad things?
    Good man. Now if you do not have cheats enabled then go here and enable the CLUAConsole:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-manually-customize-your-game/p1

Once you do that type in the following (case sensitive):
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("helm14")

This should cause the doors to open.

The other option is to use your thief or knock spell to unlock the trap door at the lower right corner of the room. Go in there and there are a bunch of switches that you can use to open all the doors on the floor.
    I think I will make a feature request now...
    Okay, I'll have to delay my thanks and praise for a day, and do this tomorrow. It is late. But I will absolutely post back here once I try all of these.

Well, thanks already for answering and providing all these options.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I got stuck there too on my first play through but going back and following a walk through worked fine for me (I think I used DSimpsons).

Attacking the dummies causes different doors to open and close, did you see where you were supposed to progress and whether attacking dummies caused doors to open? I believe north and south of the throne room should have paths.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

talking to myself, etc.

Any interesting monologue, self-romance or dreamception?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sorry about lateness of reply, and sorry that I'm gonna have to delay my thanks yet ANOTHER day or two. Busy with work, busy with life, busy with drinking myself stupid.

Reality hits you hard bro!

talking to myself, etc.

Any interesting monologue, self-romance or dreamception?
    Just screams of intense anger, yelling at the throne after hitting TAB for the 50th time, looking for that stupid crown.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The "crown thing" is a helm, @Jakeratboy, and it ought to be sitting on the ground in front of the throne. It's in plain sight, not hidden away. If it's not there, something has gone wrong.
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    so i got past the throne room level, and i have no idea what to do after that. the level with the exploding room at the start also how many more levels are there till the boss?
    edited March 2013
    @Baxyratty Well not including the one you are on, there are
    more floors before the bottom. As to what you do on the floor with the room of endless fireball; try killing stuff ;)
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    Tresset said:

@Baxyratty Well not including the one you are on, there are

more floors before the bottom. As to what you do on the floor with the room of endless fireball; try killing stuff ;)
    so do i just kill everything on that level to get past it

@Baxyratty Well...
    This floor is pretty straight forward. No incredibly hard puzzles or riddles. If you click on some giant stone masks they tell you what to do. There are four rooms with one boss in each of them. Kill all four to move on to the next floor. Killing other enemies on the floor is optional but recommended (considering their treasure and exp).
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Tresset said:

@Baxyratty Well...

This floor is pretty straight forward. No incredibly hard puzzles or riddles. If you click on some giant stone masks they tell you what to do. There are four rooms with one boss in each of them. Kill all four to move on to the next floor. Killing other enemies on the floor is optional but recommended (considering their treasure and exp).
    As a random note for that later floor:
    If you save the Fission Slime for last you don't actually have to kill it in the special way. The moment you kill it, the game teleports you to the 'real' boss fight, even if it replicated. Probably a bug.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

Tresset said:

@Baxyratty Well...

As a random note for that later floor:
    If you save the Fission Slime for last you don't actually have to kill it in the special way. The moment you kill it, the game teleports you to the 'real' boss fight, even if it replicated. Probably a bug.
    To follow up on that.
    The fission slime normally needs fire to kill, otherwise it replicates itself. Killing it last means you can kill it with anything because the first death is enough for the game to send you to the next are of the level - a big battle on a chess board. Your characters' movement is impeded on that (you're supposed to only be able to move according to the rules of chess) though area effect spells like Cloudkill, Fireball and Skull Trap get around that handily.
    Tresset said:

Good man. Now if you do not have cheats enabled then go here and enable the CLUAConsole:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-manually-customize-your-game/p1

Once you do that type in the following (case sensitive):
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("helm14")

This should cause the doors to open.

The other option is to use your thief or knock spell to unlock the trap door at the lower right corner of the room. Go in there and there are a bunch of switches that you can use to open all the doors on the floor.

Okay, all is awesome again. Hacked with a little CLUAConsole and can now continue with the quest.

Thanks for all your help Tresset and everybody else. Excited to get back to playing again!