Skip to content

Request: trap presence option on starting a new game

I'm not sure if this is feasable with Beamdog's limitations, but what I envision is basically this: On starting a new game, an option screen pops up with four options for the pre-set traps within the game.

1. Classic - No changes to traps, the experience we are all familiar with.

2. No Traps - Mainly for BG2, which as we all know has a lack of thieves. With this option, all traps in the game are removed, mainly for people that don't want to have a thief in their party, or want their thief to focus on other skills. The downsides are no xp from disarming, and if you don't take a thief you can only open locked boxes and doors through force lock and knock spells, which both also don't give xp.

3. Remix - All the old trap placements are removed, and replaced with new traps in new places. For those of us that have played through enough times to know where all the traps are, this will give us a new experience.

4. Hardcore - Has all the Classic traps AND all the Remix traps, for people that always want to watch their step. Should probably also reduce xp gained from traps (in BG2 at least) by %50-%75 so it isn't way too easy to get levels just by disarming traps.

Feel free to tell me what you think, criticisms and opinions are welcome.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    I don't see why traps are an issue.

Then again I usually play a thief, and most traps are easily found with a low detect trap skill anyway.

And besides, I actually know here most traps are ingame, and most of them are easily dodged.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    There's a mod out there that does this. I think this would add "fake" difficulty. The room isn't changing. A door won't appear where there was no door and Nashkel is still going to be South of Beregost.

Why force you to crawl through areas just in case the traps moved?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Doesn't BG2Tweaks have a "disable all traps" option?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    mlnevese said:

Doesn't BG2Tweaks have a "disable all traps" option?

And a 'disable all locks' option.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Yeah I kind of remembered that... It's just that I never played with these options.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Edit the priest spell (Detect Trap) so that it also removes traps.
  • BlackskyBlacksky Member Posts: 8
    I don't like the idea of removing traps, but I do really like the idea of a trap remix. Most BG fans already know where all the traps are, so giving the option to change them about a bit would be fun.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    i liked @bbear idea of make the detect trap spell able to disarm traps also, would make the spell more useful and could help parties that doesn't want/have a thief.

The original idea, in some points are valid, an remix of the traps would be a nice option. Easy to do. Of course not every trap on the game can be randomed, but for those that can... why not. Besides, the fact a mod already do that doesn't meant that no one can request this on the forum (delete 90% of the feature request threads if that's a valid point).
    Bhaaldog said:

kamuizin said:

i liked @bbear idea of make the detect trap spell able to disarm traps also, would make the spell more useful and could help parties that doesn't want/have a thief.

Yes, such as spell could be useful but I do not like the idea of there being a spell available which could make another class somewhat redundant. If someone makes a tactical decision to not take a thief, I believe there should be a penalty for such tactics rather than a workaround...
    If you really think that, ask for the removal of tenser transformation, it make the warrior class retundant also, we shouldn't have raise death as both priest and wizard spell also... among many more argument of the same type... somehow i don't think it's the better logic sense to follow.
    tenser transformation give so many overpower buffs that make any fighter pale at the sight of a kensai/mage using it. Don't u think u're picking only some arguments in a whole of facts to make your point? No offense meant, by the way.

• AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Hmm, maybe you all are right, the no traps option should maybe not be there. I do like the detect traps also removing traps thing though. I feel that it wouldn't make thieves redundant because priests would lose spell slots for the detect traps spell and need to rest very often, and only thieves disarming actually get experience which is quite significant in BG2. Which is why I initially thought a no traps idea wasn't a terrible idea.

And as for the mod, I was unaware of it's existence, so thanks for pointing it out. I do like to limit how modded my game is, however, as I know from Bethesda games that the more mods you use, the more problems you encounter.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Remix sounds fun but would be a lot of work as each trap would have to be checked individually. Realistically, each trap would have to be given a number of different possible locations and then it would be random which place it would occur or something similar.

I think anything along the lines of removing all traps or making Detect Traps spell also disable traps should be a mod and not an official option.