Skip to content

What alignment do you pick when you play and why?

smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
Inspired by this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17470/the-alignment-scale#latest

I put forth the question to the community. What alignment do you pick when you play Baldur's gate and why?
  1. What alignment do you pick when you play and why?111 votes
    1. Lawful Good. Yon maiden fair needs help!
        2.70%
    2. Neutral Good. It's all balance, GOOD balance.
      16.22%
    3. Chaotic Good. I do what I want with a heart of gold.
      24.32%
    4. Lawful Neutral. Order is where it's at.
        4.50%
    5. True Neutral. I could go either way honestly.
        5.41%
    6. Chaotic Neutral. I do what I want, don't taze me bro.
      16.22%
    7. Lawful Evil. I didn't spend 5 years at evil law school to be plain evil.
        7.21%
    8. Neutral Evil. It's all about me and my needs
        9.91%
    9. Chaotic Evil. Burn it, burn it all!
        2.70%
    10. None of the above
      10.81%
TJ_HookerTressetAristillius

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I enjoy the occasional Evil RP, provided the game doesn't go overboard in forcing you to descend into utter psychopathy...
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    I like the free-spirited goody two-shoes approach.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Do whatever i want, whenever i want. Chaotic neutral let's you get away with anything.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I like evil characters who play the devil with subtlety or have a particular code of ethics they live by which sometimes goes against pure self-interest.
    KidCarnival
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    I'd be chaotic good and enjoy the lawless freedom but still help and be good to people in general... But bards can't be CG! I also do love me som Lawful evil like sir Eudaemonium above. Evil with a code of conduct makes for interesting roleplay.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Varies a lot.
    Iecerinttoanwrath
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I typically choose Lawful alignments or good ole Chaotic Neutral. I love Lawful because it's probably the closest to my "RL alignment." I also love playing Lawful because a lot of roleplayers are dirty libertarian hippy communists who think their PC is too cool to be "hemmed in" by things like laws, civilization, dignity, honor, and the idea that you should try not to make an ass of yourself. I like to help balance out the surplus of Chaotic Good and Neutral Evil douche bag PCs out there.

My current favorite roleplay concept is a Sith noble in the Star Wars: The Old Republic era, he is a foppish gentleman swordsman to a fault, and is borderline Lawful Good in D&D terms. I'm also fond of my Lawful Evil Blackguard CHARNAME in EE, who is similarly charismatic and has a sense of honor and fair play to his bastardly ways.

@SionIV
    In P&P, Neutral alignments aren't licenses to just do whatever you feel like. Neutral characters still believe in things and have ideals, even if they are a bit less "predictable" than Good and Evil characters, Chaotic Neutral included.
    KidCarnival
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I usually choose the 'good' option when given a choice, and always end up with 20 reputation, but I steal everything not bolted to the ground.
    AHFTressetStickan
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Lawful or neutral evil. I prefer lawful, but end up with neutral more often lately because I want the Dust Mephit when I play an arcane caster (and I'm quite fond of jesters/bards in general).
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Generally a good or neutral alignment but it often depends on the class restrictions.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    Neutral Evil Bards are where it's at. Smart, charming, and with sticky fingers.

I typically choose Lawful alignments or good ole Chaotic Neutral. I love Lawful because it's probably the closest to my "RL alignment." I also love playing Lawful because a lot of roleplayers are dirty libertarian hippy communists who think their PC is too cool to be "hemmed in" by things like laws, civilization, dignity, honor, and the idea that you should try not to make an ass of yourself. I like to help balance out the surplus of Chaotic Good and Neutral Evil douche bag PCs out there.

My current favorite roleplay concept is a Sith noble in the Star Wars: The Old Republic era, he is a foppish gentleman swordsman to a fault, and is borderline Lawful Good in D&D terms. I'm also fond of my Lawful Evil Blackguard CHARNAME in EE, who is similarly charismatic and has a sense of honor and fair play to his bastardly ways.

@SionIV
    In P&P, Neutral alignments aren't licenses to just do whatever you feel like. Neutral characters still believe in things and have ideals, even if they are a bit less "predictable" than Good and Evil characters, Chaotic Neutral included.

A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last.

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.

Chaotic neutral is the closest alignment you'll get to real life. Sure you'll help the lady over the road, but if you could get away with stealing 20 000£ you'll do it.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Chaotic Good the first time, Lawful Evil this time. Maybe Lawful Neutral next time.
    SionIV said:

Chaotic neutral is the closest alignment you'll get to real life. Sure you'll help the lady over the road, but if you could get away with stealing 20 000£ you'll do it.

Well... Maybe it's closest to -your- real life. Chaotic neutrals are Captain Jack Sparrow type characters... Few people in modern society are that random and unpredictable.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Oh, great! yet another thread full of people who ****resists the urge to plunge in*****
    [Deleted User]
    edited March 2013
    Stickan said:

SionIV said:

Well... Maybe it's closest to -your- real life. Chaotic neutrals are Captain Jack Sparrow type characters... Few people in modern society are that random and unpredictable.
    It's human instinct to put ourself first for survival. Sure there are moments when other people or actions are more important than our own self (I would give my life for my son) but in the end we look out for ourself. Sure i do good things in my life, i love children and i'm a teacher at work. But if i could get away with taking 20 000 euro, then i would do it. Just as about every other person would in that situation, you can say "Naah i wouldn't" but if the guy gave you 20 000 and said no string attached you would.

We're selfish, some are just more than others.

I'm not saying we're all chaotic neural, but out of all those options it's the one we're closest to. And no you don't have to be 100% unpredictable nor be a jack sparrow if you're chaotic neutral, just as you don't have to be a crazy jester.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    TJ_Hooker said:

I usually choose the 'good' option when given a choice, and always end up with 20 reputation, but I steal everything not bolted to the ground.

It is hilarious playing this with my 10 year old who actively does not want to steal anything and seems confused and somewhat insulted by the idea that we might want to search the chests, etc. in a non-hostile area. Watching his confusion as Neera showed interest in his PC was also funny.

It reminds me of how much I take for granted things like breaking into certain houses in the game. (My son does not mind entering houses that are open but does not want to enter any house that is locked.)
    TJ_HookerDelvarian
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Chaotic Neutral - so I don't suffer moral qualms when pick-pocketing (e.g. Drizzt's scimitars...) and shop-lifting from stores, but am not a despised, amoral, murdering b*stard
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited March 2013
    Ok, plunges in.

Neutral does NOT mean I could go either way. A little Good now and then a little evil later. It means NEUTRAL. It means that you don't support the goodies and you don't support the baddies. You remain Neutral in things. It isn't a catch all for people who don't want to play an alignment.

Duddly DoWright says "Save that damsel from that oncoming train" :::Good:::

Snydly Whiplash twists his mustash and says "Join me and watch em all burn" :::Evil:::

Ford Prefect says "Let's go find a good party and get sloshed while those two figure it out :::neutral:::

A neutral doesn't flip a coin to decide, they say "I am not getting involved" and go do something else. They remain NEUTRAL.

And really not getting sucked in to the 'Chaotic' thing again.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    In my experience, most players are Lawful Evil. They'll do anything, as long as they can get away with it; doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, only matters that it's LOOT.
    Tresset
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I honestly pick CG most often when given the choice. I feel that If I were to be put on the alignment scale I would be NG but when role playing I feel exactly like @TJ_Hooker.
    TJ_Hooker said:

TJ_Hooker
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013
    I mostly play as good-aligned characters, but certainly not all the time. That would be boring, after all.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

In my experience, most players are Lawful Evil. They'll do anything, as long as they can get away with it; doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, only matters that it's LOOT.

Some people on the forum seem to play Paladins like this, from some things I've read...
    Tresset
    edited March 2013

Ok, plunges in.

Neutral does NOT mean I could go either way. A little Good now and then a little evil later. It means NEUTRAL. It means that you don't support the goodies and you don't support the baddies. You remain Neutral in things. It isn't a catch all for people who don't want to play an alignment.

Snydly Whiplash twists his mustash and says "Join me and watch em all burn" :::Evil:::

Ford Prefect says "Let's go find a good party and get sloshed while those two figure it out :::neutral:::

A neutral doesn't flip a coin to decide, they say "I am not getting involved" and go do something else. They remain NEUTRAL.

I agree with the neutral (True Neutral) . But if you put that chaotic infront then it's all hands down. The alignment system was flawed from the beginning, and we could discuss this 300 pages forward with our own opinions and understandings of certain alignments.
    Delvarian
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Ok, plunges in.

I think you're taking Neutrality to the other illogical extreme. The Neutral character is not universally disinterested. A Neutral character might save the damsel from the train if they're being paid to do so, or ordered to do so by a superior, or if they know and favor said damsel. A good example of a Chaotic Neutral character that gets involved in the action would be Marvel's Deadpool. A total basket case sociopath, but he is easily motivated by money or a nice pair of breasts.
    edited March 2013

Ok, plunges in.

I think you're taking Neutrality to the other illogical extreme. The Neutral character is not universally disinterested. A Neutral character might save the damsel from the train if they're being paid to do so, or ordered to do so by a superior, or if they know and favor said damsel. A good example of a Chaotic Neutral character that gets involved in the action would be Marvel's Deadpool. A total basket case sociopath, but he is easily motivated by money or a nice pair of breasts.
    Deadpool would go under neutral evil bordering chaotic evil in my opinion.

A perfect example of a Chaotic neutral would be a con artist. Bret Maverick (Movie Maverick 1994) played by Mel Gibson is chaotic neutral. You don't have to be a sociopath, insane or crazy to be chaotic neutral.

Also Sgt. Martin Riggs played by Mel Gibson yet again (Lethal weapon) would be classified as Chaotic Neutral. Two perfect scenes from the movie would be the suicide jumper in lethal weapon 1 and when he has his partner do the naked chicken in Lethal weapon 3.

[Edited 2] : Sherlock holmes is another example of chaotic neutral, he's on the more 'crazy' side though.
  • I usually go for neutral good. It allows me to play altruistically and seek to do right by people without worrying about the politics of society and the individual.
    edited March 2013
    I didn't originally write this but this covers in essence what a chaotic neutral person is:

"...He considers himself above the law. Finds most people to be narrow-minded and inflexible. Believes those who seek to rule others are, by nature, corrupt. Seeks to undermine the authority figures of his community or nation. Finds the legal procedures of his nation corrupt. Blieves luck determines wealth. Will break any contract when he feels like it. Believes people deserve the treatment they are willing to endure..." Etc etc...

So in essence... A CN person is an anarchist who doesn't go out of his way to harm or help others.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @SionIV

Neither Riggs nor Sherlock Holmes qualify as Chaotic Neutral. The reason? Their ultimate goal, in their behavior, is towards adding to the common good.

If you try to save lives and help people, you are by definition, "good."
    StickanRnRClown