Skip to content

Dorn Il-Khan Romance **Spoilers**

2»

Comments

• MiriCBrownMiriCBrown Member Posts: 32
    Yeah, I remember seeing it in a few conversations when I was 12 and playing the orginal, I always figured that a game like that would either use more... old english kind of words similar to it or outright cursing. The game is not exactly kid friendly after all, and some of the puzzles, especially in the second game, are pretty hard if your math or logic kinda sucks, which kinda spurs the younger crowd away as well because they don't usually have the patience for it. The game in and of itself is kinda difficult for the fact that you're controlling technically six characters instead of just your main, and not all the scripts are that useful, the fact that you have to take each character's alignment in consideration of your actions, who has a certain skill set you either need or want, and ect. It was more geared to an older crowd, so why just crap? :/ I'm probably over thinking this but still, seems kinda odd.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    "Crap" isn't a modern word. It came into use (meaning excrement, as now) in late Middle English, around 1400CE. It derives from crappa (same meaning) in Medieval Latin.
    Eudaemonium
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Is the way in which the word is used in BG a modern usage. A word can be pretty old, but the way it is used in everyday language might be radically different?

Not that it matters. The problem with writing is that the audience has certain expectations regarding the language used in a specific setting. It doesn't really matter whether 'crap' is an old word if the audience sees it as a new one. Similarly, there might be far more recent words (relatively) that sound old-fashioend and therefore 'legitimate'. Being authentic to your source material won't necessarily ring as authenticity to one's target audience, or vice-versa.
    I understand that it doesn't have to fit perfectly to the whole setting or the likes, and I never knew the history of 'crap', so I learned something new today. And again, I tend to over think things alot, it was just a weird thing that popped into my head because I'm weird. lol
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    It just feels like Xzar would never say "Oh, crap, I forget the rest" or however that line goes exactly. It seems like a dull word for an eccentric man.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Ya, Xzar is the guy who says "I am become death" and "your voice is ambrosia". He's insane, but also quite eloquent. "Oh crap" is something that suits someone like Kagain or Minsc.
    QuartzEudaemonium
    Yeah, that I agree with that, it seems like he'd go for more a... well longer winded and more classy version of the "Oh, crap" line. :/ It's a minor, easy to look over thing once it pops up, but still, it's kinda weird.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Yeah, Xzar's line there was painfully OOC.

Then again so was his existence in BGII. So, whatever. smh
    KidCarnival