Skip to content

Narbucchad's Demise Wizard's Staff

PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
I made quite interesting discovery today while browsing in Near Infinity. I found wizard's staff named Narbucchad's Demise under the name PSTAFM0.ITM (and PSTAFM0A etc.), which I have never heard of before. It has magic ranged attack (magic missile projectile) and also can shoot magic missiles. And most importantly has entirely new icons and animation (however has no inventory animation).

Modding staffs with magic ranged attacks for my mages was one of the first things I did with my BG:EE because it wasn't possible before, but I had no idea that there was already such a staff. I wonder how long it has been there.
ErgNifftKidCarnivallunarScooterIllustairAristilliusVaylor

Comments

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    With this newly found graphics I have upgraded my staffs. So I post a minor mod with four wizard staffs+1 added to the high hedge stock for anyone who is interested. I used existing strings so I wouldn't have to mess with dialog.tlk, so the description is incorrect. They have both melee and ranged attacks, melee is standard 1d6+1 and ranged is 2d2 of magic damage with +1 to hit. Just put the two files in the override folder.
    KidCarnivallunarAristillius
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Check also the items wings and circlets ;)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'm fairly sure all of such items are artifacts left over from incorperating the 1pp mod into enhanced edition

Check also the items wings and circlets ;)

I know about the wings, but not circlets. Thanks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Very nice!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Agreed, that's pretty neat.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, this is from the 1pp integration. There are a couple of other items laying around from it, such as the circlets.
    CamDawg said:

Yeah, this is from the 1pp integration. There are a couple of other items laying around from it, such as the circlets.

Interesting. My reaction is *wow*. But maybe I'm just over enthusiastic :)
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    The staff idea is absolutely amazing and I'm shocked that it wasn't fully integrated into the game. Circlets are really cool too.

It would be superb if Beamdog perhaps added a +1 Narbucchad's Demise somewhere, as well as the circlets. It would also be pretty cool if they showed up on the inventory screen.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    A powerful staff that acts like a wand would be very cool.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    If Beamdog had permission to use the mod, why didn't they integrate the staves, anyways?

Did their contract prohibit using that part of 1pp?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    One good reason for not including these items is that Overhaul were already behind schedule, clearly running out of time and money, and had to get a release out to the market a.s.a.p.

Another good reason is that Overhaul like to keep us excited about the game by trickling out new material gradually in patches, so maybe these items will be included in a later patch.

Or maybe Overhaul just decided that these items don't fit the game and rejected them!
    This staff is all I ever wanted (except, I can't stress it enough: no-color-effect arch magi robes and ankheg armor). I hope this gets officially added at some point, along with the circlets. Not keen on wings though.

This staff is all I ever wanted (except, I can't stress it enough: no-color-effect arch magi robes and ankheg armor). I hope this gets officially added at some point, along with the circlets. Not keen on wings though.

Wings would be nice addition for Aerie.
    She still whines if you have her cast Armor of Faith. I don't think the wings would make her stop, sadly.
    edited April 2013
    As requested by @KidCarnival, I have made necromantic staff for Xzar with green glow. I found some icons on the internet and used it (Moinesse's BAMs). I have not however found a way to create new projectile (PRO file), so I have edited one which I think is not used in game (1bull06.pro - some unique bullet animation), but I might be wrong with this, so if such bullet exists, the projectile would look the way I edited it. Anyway, the projectile is a skull with green fire, which I think is appropriate for necromancer. Every other characteristic is identical to the staff I made previously. There are both staff's in the rar folder and both staffs are sold in High Hedge.
    EudaemoniumKidCarnivallunarWolk
    Awesome, makes me want to start an all mage party with the new arch magi robe and both staff versions. :D
    I still want to make some more.
    KidCarnival
    Can't have enough! How about something purple?
    Yes, I already have purple icon animation, now I must find some fitting projectile animation.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Is there any way to create a sword that can fire magic missiles in the same style as the staff? Could be an awesome weapon for a fighter/mage.
    edited April 2013
    @Tome: Yes there is. With EE, any weapon can fire ranged projectiles. My favourite is flaming sword which shoots firebolts. It's really simple, basically just add ranged ability (in NI) and adjust range and projectile type.
    TomeKidCarnival
    Here goes staff with purple glow and projectile. Again, rar file contains two other staffs as well.
    KidCarnivalMaelora69Eudaemonium
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75
    Any way to use these if I've already spoken to Thalantyr?
    Ah, I'll just console it in and donate the cost to a temple :)
    Do we know why it doesn't show up on the paper doll?

Anyway, it's cool. It seems so silly that a mage is reduced to slinging when out of spells :(
    edited April 2013
    @Maelora69: You can either edit your baldur.sav file in your save folder with some editor and delete HIGHHEDG.STO file there, or you can use CLUAConsole. Codes for these staffs are stafw1, stafw2 and stafw3. (oh, nevermind :)

As for the inventory paperdoll missing, I really don't know why. It's a shame, if I figure out how these are added to the item, I want to add at least normal staff paperdoll.
    Maelora69
    Is there a way to add a cape like a mage robe to a non-mage, just visually? I'd like to have my bard wear the thief paperdoll hood and a cape. HE'S BATMAN! :D
    Well I guess there is a way, but it's waaay above my skills. I just mess with stuff that's already there. This would require changes to the sprites. Good idea though :)