Skip to content

Trading between party members?

Been playing around with Baldurs Gate for a while, but haven't discovered any way for one party member to give loot to another part member. For example, if my character picked up a short sword, is there any way I could give it to Imoen without dropping it on the floor for her to pick up? Is that the only way to do it or am I missing out on something?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Pick up the item in the inventory screen and then drop it on the portrait of the character you wish to give it to.
  • SirHablesSirHables Member Posts: 10
    @TJ_Hooker Thanks, that will save me a lot of time :)
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Note that they have to be reasonably close to each other to do it. I couldn't say the exact distance, but if they're too far away the game will tell you. Obviously you just need to move them closer to fix that/
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The exact distance is line of sight. They can even toss items to each other through walls.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Transferring items from one player to another during combat sets up a bit of a dilemma about how you are going to play the game. If the characters are relatively far apart and separated in melee, is it a cheat for one of them to give the other the much needed potion of healing (or poison healing) in the middle of melee?
    Once you see that BGEE permits this transfer mechanically, do you lose some of the realism or challenge of the game by doing it?

I could imagine reading a fantasy novel where one character tosses a needed item to his ally over the heads of half a dozen orcs, and the other catches it. But in a pnp (pencil & paper D&D game) wouldn't that require a saving through on something like dexterity, and in real life it would probably fail most of the time.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    I just remembered, @Lemneris has started a game I think where he requires that the characters run up to get near each other in order to transfer a potion or an item during melee.