Skip to content

Character question

So my next Character will be a good guy. More specifically a half-orc Fighter/Cleric. My question is would Ilmater be a good Deity rp wise for a warrior priest who helps the poor?

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ilmater is a good RP choice for helping the poor, but he's not particularly a warrior's deity - Ilmater is more about accepting suffering and living with it, rather than fighting against injustice.

So I reckon it's a choice which could be believable (and interesting) in RP terms with a little effort, but perhaps not the most natural fit. But hey, that's a realistic scenario.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    If I'm not mistaken, Illmater's followers also suffer for others. I think I read that from IWD2 Priest/Paladin kits; can't remember.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    @Baxyratty I think a good choice for such a character would be Torm. He's the Lawful Good god of duty, loyalty, obedince, and paladins. His followers are typically paladins, heroes, good fighters and warriors, guardians, knights, loyal courtiers, and of course his clerics. He exemplifies the chivalristic ideal and even "eschews the pretense of his fellow deities, instead adopting a humble position that he exists to serve the common good and the rule of law as established by honorable mortal rulers."
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Ilmater works, especially if the charname is the type to put themselves in harm's way before others (Wink: Make them a front-line tank.)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2013
    Ilmatar may not be particularly warrior but he is extremely for the poor.

By the way Bahamut is my personal favorite.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Of course a lot of the gods from BG were changed when they blew up the world (stupidly). Harder to find a period guide to deities now...
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    i wish Bhaal would come back officially tbh
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    @secretmantra

That's a good suggestion. Further, go the course of a Paladin or Cleric ( focused on Melee instead of support ) and you have the perfect candidate for Illmatar. For the Cleric though, you might want to go the un-kitted route. Unless you want it to look funny RP wise.