Skip to content

Strength drop fighting Schlumpsha the Sewer King

A little into the fight Minsc is encumbered and can't move. His strength is down to 16. He drops some items and keeps going until the fight is over. His strength is down to 8. A Dispel Magic and it climbs back to normal.

My question is: what exactly is this effect? I didn't see any indicators or combat details that described it. Was it something specific to Schlumpsa? If I had let it run, would he have turned into a shambling mound or something? Would it have worn off? Any other cure/fix besides Dispel Magic?

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I can tell you that it wears off. I think the effect is called 'weakness', but I'm not sure if that is the name of the spell or whatever.
    [Deleted User]
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Some enemies in BG2 have attacks which cause a temporary stat-drain, but I hadn't noticed any BG1 enemy which could do this. Perhaps Schlumpsha has a strength-drain attack and Minsc failed his save?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Correct, Schlumpsha's attack does 2 Strength damage for 1 turn when you fail a Save vs. Death at -4.

Another BG1 enemy that deals Strength damage is the wraith spider, whose attacks deal 5 Strength damage for 5 turns when you fail a Save vs. Spell at -2.
    lunarEudaemoniumSCARY_WIZARD
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Hmm I always thought Schlumpsa was a green slime abomination so I never ever let any character targeted by him. Green slime is the most horrible killer in the game, you know?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for explaining, @Jalily. I guess I must have never been hit by Schlumpsha, or at least never hit enough that I noticed the effects before it wore off.

I'm surprised about the Wraith Spider. That's a pretty big and long-lasting STR hit, and there are several Wraith Spiders to fight, so I'm pretty surprised that I've not noticed it. Although I do usually squash spiders pretty fast, so maybe they've never yet got me (or at least not since so long ago that I've forgotten about it).

@lunar, depending upon the dialogue options you choose with Schlumpsha, he sometimes implies that he's actually a permanently-polymorphed mage, not originally a slime at all.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    lunar said:

Green slime is the most horrible killer in the game, you know?

Yes. Inevitable perma-death if you get hit and fail a save vs. death at +4. Quite nasty.
    lunarEudaemonium
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Tresset said:

lunar said:

Yes. Inevitable perma-death if you get hit and fail a save vs. death at +4. Quite nasty.
    I think there's one of those in my bathroom...

lunar
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Wanderon said:

Tresset said:

lunar said:

I think there's one of those in my bathroom...

My ex is in your bathroom?
    lunar