Skip to content

Cloakwood mines - L2

I just finis L2 of the cloakwood mines and can't find anything about 2 people I'm curious about.

1. Talked to a guard and he begged me to let him go..I did after getting info from him. Is there any bad consequences to this or should I have killed him? I was leery of letting him go because he might give a warning to someone up above and have an army of assassins waiting when I come out! :D

2. There's a female cook you can talk to but there isn't any message you can click on to warn her the mines will be flooded. I feel kinda bad about that being I'm a goodie two-shoes type. :) Anything to this?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Letting a nobody like that guard go has no side effects. The cook didn't leave with the rest of them? Maybe try a bug report or feature request...
    Starlily
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Since I haven't finished the mines yet I don't really know. When I talked to her every guard was dead and the dwarf had joined my party. Humm, come to think of it I don't know where 'Kell' went to. I came upon him first - he rushed right by the dwarf before I could talk to the dwarf and talked to me. Maybe "kell' will remember. :)
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    She's obviously an EVIL cook.

There are only two types of people who work for the Iron Throne: Dicks and slaves.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Tresset said:

Letting a nobody like that guard go has no side effects.

True. But so far as I recall, killing him has no side effects either.
    Tresset said:

The cook didn't leave with the rest of them? Maybe try a bug report or feature request...

I'm pretty sure that was true in the original BG1 as well: like the Captain of a ship, the Cook goes down with her kitchen. So I don't think Overhaul want to change it, it's not really a bug, although I agree that it seems a little odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    To be fair, we don't know who escapes and who doesn't. For all we know, the cook may have heard the battles and gotten out when you do. If she was a slave, she'd have been freed with the rest, and if she was an employee, she probably had her death coming.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Bhaaldog said:

Could someone tell me (or show a photo) where this cook is? I seem to be experiencing a memory blank...

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar1804.htm
    Room next to Hareishan.
    [Deleted User]
    Bhaaldog said:

Could someone tell me (or show a photo) where this cook is? I seem to be experiencing a memory blank...

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthroughbgee/cloakwoodmines5.php

Point 5, in the kitchen I believe (though I could be wrong, might be a level or two higher up)
    [Deleted User]
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

She's obviously an EVIL cook.

Cooking up some trouble.

I'm pretty sure that was true in the original BG1 as well: like the Captain of a ship, the Cook goes down with her kitchen. So I don't think Overhaul want to change it, it's not really a bug, although I agree that it seems a little odd.

Nobody ever thinks to question the "going down with your kitchen" clause on the Chef contract.

Very few kitchens sink, after all.

To be fair, we don't know who escapes and who doesn't. For all we know, the cook may have heard the battles and gotten out when you do. If she was a slave, she'd have been freed with the rest, and if she was an employee, she probably had her death coming.

So they could either:
    1) Add her to the crowd of freed slaves; or
    2) Put in a line about "I hope that damnable cook drowned, too!"

Works for me.
    Bhaaldog said:

Thank you for the replies. That is strange I really cannot remember meeting anyone there with dialogue...

Well the apprentice Stefan has dialogue, though obviously he isn't in the kitchen. Actually I'm really not convinced she's on level 4...I think she may actually be here http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar1802.htm in the room with either the NW or SE Hobgoblins.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @PawnSlayer: no, neither of those, the Cook is on the level with Hareishan, in the side-chamber next to Hareishan.

@Balquo's link shows the right map, but the location of the Cook isn't marked on it.

@Bhaaldog: she's an odd Cook. Her dialogue seems to be offering to sleep with Charname, although I've no idea why. (And no, there's no option to accept the offer.)
    Yes, room where Hareishan was supposed to be, just to the south is where I found her. Hareishan came out of the big room to where I was and I found her when looking for loot. I think she was hired to be the cook. You go where there is work and good money, no questions asked. So, I was thinking she was an innocent. Paid well to keep her mouth shut and not poison their food! :D
    Shrug.
    [Deleted User]
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Hareishan? Isn't that a vampire in BG2? Weird.
    Well they both are evil, Can't name everyone Tom, Dick or Hairy. :D