Skip to content

Artastrophe's Portraits

2»

Comments

• SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited April 2013
    These portraits are simply outstanding! They have so much personality, heck, they even feel more natural and in character than the original portraits, IMHO.

I must ask, however, why Dorn looks like a good or neutral-aligned rogue more than anything else? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the portrait in and out of itself. It just doesn't... feel like Dorn, at least not to me. Does that make sense?

Still, his and red-haired version of Khalid's portraits are the only one feels amiss to me. Which, seeing how picky I can be, is saying a whole lot.

Incredible good work you guys!
    Post edited by Sniiiimon on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Sniiiimon said:

These portraits are simply outstanding! They have so much personality, heck, they even feel more natural and in character than the original portraits, IMHO.

I must ask, however, why Dorn looks like good or neutral-aligned rogue more than anything else? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the portrait in and out of itself. It just doesn't... feel like Dorn, at least not to me. Does that make sense?

Still, his and red-haired version of Khalid's portraits are the only one feels amiss to me. Which, seeing how picky I can be, is saying a whole lot.

Incredible good work you guys!

I agree that Dorn looks like a rogue, though I actually kinda like it and think it fits him fine. He could do with some heavier armour, but I think the picture captures a certain arrogance. I also prefer the red-haired Khalid to the default one she has: I think it suits him far better than her default, which seems too... not Khalid to me, even though it looks more like his default.

My least favourites are probably Cernd and Montaron, primarily because I think they look too young. I don't like her (admittedly lore-accurate) default Edwin, either, but she has more than enough Edwin variations to go round! Woohoo!

My favourites in her default pack are probably Shar-Teel, Mazzy, Xzar, Kivan, and Anomen, in terms of how she captures their personalities, and Haer'Dalis in terms of how frickin' gorgeous he is. Overall, my favourite is Edwin with his suave hair out, and a lot of the PC portraits.
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75
    Which of the PC ones do you like, Eudaemonium?

I agree some are better than others, but they're all pretty good. Dynahier now looks like the regal, exotic beauty I've always imagined her to be (after Jaheira's unfortunate accident, I ship her with Khalid, is that odd?)

Skie Silvershield now looks like you'd expect her to look (instead of a 50 year old hollywood starlet whose plastic surgery is starting to melt...)

Xzar looks creepy now, instead of completely insane... the sort of guys who sits by you on the bus and explains how he's a close friend of Jeebus as you edge slowly away...

Ajantis, Coran, Kivan and Xan are now gorgeous. Garrick is beautiful; I've never used him before but I actually recruit him now, just to swoon over him. I used Alora for the first time too.

I prefer Edwin with hair... I mean, he's away from home, I think he could grow it long like that for vanity's sake...!
    I like using the Edwin with the hood up in BG1 where he's technically still a Red Wizard. I prefer it loose in the sequel, when he's kind of a rogue agent hiding out with the Shadow Thieves.

Going by the .bmp titles in the additional portrait pack, my favourite PC portraits are, in (roughly) alphabetical order: Celyne, Lliand, Man3 [the Ranger guy], MMage, Shayna, Talis, Woman1 [Dark-skinned woman in armour], and Yasra. I like a bunch of others too, but these are my favourites.
    Yeah, she's a bit of an Edwin fangirl, so we have lots to choose from for him!

Celyne, Lliandriel, Shayna and Yasrael are mine, so thank you for that! :)
    Heh, got some new ones, including one with a dust mephit familiar... Cinnamon, a 'curvy' Moonshaes druid, and Anadriel, possibly the nicest NE mage ever... Kudos to Kaila as always!
    Yeah, Anadriel looks very friendly for a NE character XD They're both awesome, though!
    Thank you! I've been using yours so it's fair you can have mine!

I tend to view alignment broadly - to me, NE is Ayn Rand's Objectivism: try to be a selfish jerk who screws over others to get what you want. It doesn't have to mean 'child killer' or 'serial murderer'. Driel here wants public adoration and cheap store discounts, so she plays the hero. And treats her mephit as her pet bunny or child substitute (which it hates).

And her mom is a paladin, so she can't be _too_ wicked around her!

"But Mooooom...! Demons are soooo cooool! Pleeeease can I summon one?"
    Got some more, courtesy of the wonderful Kaila...

Here's Driel with her specs to match her sunny smile, off to play with 'Dusty' at the coast.

And here's her mom, an Inquisitor paladin (the witch hunter hat is slung over her back if you look...) I wanted an older lady paladin based off Wynne from Dragon Age; Kaila also based her on Kristin Scott Thomas, who is lovely at 52!)
    edited April 2013
    Epic rose-tinted shades. I think I might actually use her for my Bard.

EDIT: I actually specced Wynne as an Arcane Warrior in DAO and used her as a Tank in one game. I had Zevran, Sten and Wynne. It was epic.
    Post edited by Eudaemonium on
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    I am using artastrophe's portraits and I am very pleased with them. My favourite thing among these portraits is the art style consistency. Different art styles between portraits really put me off, so I really appreciate her work. Keep it up!
    Jace said:

I am using artastrophe's portraits and I am very pleased with them. My favourite thing among these portraits is the art style consistency. Different art styles between portraits really put me off, so I really appreciate her work. Keep it up!

Absolutely. It means so much to have a consistent look when I'm playing solo or a MP party.

And the art is just beautiful. I was never a big fan of the originals.

Epic rose-tinted shades.
    EDIT: I actually specced Wynne as an Arcane Warrior in DAO and used her as a Tank in one game. I had Zevran, Sten and Wynne. It was epic.

Ah, I've seen pictures of her in full armour! Never done that myself as she always gets the 'Robes of the Witch' straight away :)

Epic rose-tinted shades.

What else would a naive, gullible demon-summoner wear? :)
    Maelora69 said:

Epic rose-tinted shades.

What else would a naive, gullible demon-summoner wear? :)
    You make a valid case.

I think I might use her for my NE Bard. Dust Mephit and all.

I think I might use her for my NE Bard. Dust Mephit and all.

I used her as a mage/thief, but she'd make a great Blade or Jester too.
    edited April 2013
    Here's a last one; Deheriana, Kivan's lost wild elf wife. She was saved from Tazok by Driel's mom, and recruited for her Inquisitor warband. However, the paladin has lived for longer than anyone expected... though Riana's are a long-lived people and a few decades shouldn't matter much really. She hates Theresa's spiteful brat of a kid, but keeps her silence on that one...

Here she is, with and without her Dalish tattoos.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    cool art but they are sooo ~~elvish~~
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Looks quite good, though I'm somewhat ambivalent about Dorn's portrait - isn't he meant to have green skin?
    I always thought he did. I guess it's simply shading.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The new portrait gives him human skin tones - not sure if that's deliberate or an oversight...
    I would assume deliberate. It looks green to me in game, though. Maybe a human-shade of green, but green nonetheless. It looks distinctly different to the skin tones of the humans in my party.