Skip to content

Artastrophe's Portraits

Just wanted to give forum members a heads-up on a really nice set of alternate portraits by a friend of mine.

I'm likely in the minority, but despite playing BG dozens of times over the years, I've always hated the original portraits. I don't want anime/manga style pictures, but I don't feel the inhabitants of the game should be grimacing, pox-ridden, wart-faced monstrosities either. Alora is a cute halfling, not a withered old hag. Coran should be a gorgeous ladies-man, not a warped Hall-of-Mirrors grotesquery. Even the ones that are not too hideous, like Imoen and Branwen's original portraits, are much too old for the characters they are supposed to portray. Branwen's not in her 40's, and Imoen is not a soccer mom, she's a perky teen, 17-18 tops.

Kaila's portraits are great - classic fantasy but not TOO fantastic. I don't think the anime look suits BG, and while I personally like the Boris Vallejo chainmail-bikini look, that doesn't suit BG either.

I think her reworkings of the classic characters are lovely, and accurate reflect the characters involved. We have Jahiera's trademark scowl, Xzar's unsettling stare and the bug-eyed weirdness of Tiax. Xan and Coran now actually look like high-charisma guys. The females are attractive without being airbrushed supermodels.

Check it out here: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55677-paintbg-introduction-and-samples/

There's also another pack of her commissions, some of them mine, on DeviantArt:

http://artastrophe.deviantart.com/art/BG-Portrait-Package-145216289

I love being able to play the game with a unified look and art style, whether I'm playing a MP party or recruiting NPCs. There's a full range here, familiars, gnomes, half-orcs, halflings, the lot.

Hope some of you find it useful anyway.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited April 2013
    I actually got a commission from her yesterday, I donated it back to her so it should be in the next portrait pack update. :) That should probably indicate to you that I frickin' love her portraits.
    Post edited by Eudaemonium on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75

I actually got a commission from her yesterday, I donated it back to her so it should be in the next portrait pack update. :) That should probably indicate to you that I frickin' love her portraits.

Aww, thanks! It's nice when people donate their commissions. The more the merrier!

edited April 2013
    It was a pleasure. I've used plenty of other people's donated portraits (not the mention the excellent NPC pack that she put together herself), so it only seemed fair to donate my own back to the collective pool.

In fact, in the spirit of community, and since 1) she'll be putting it in the pack anyway, and 2) it is technically mine. I present you with:

Belindis, Lawful Evil Fighter/Assassin, courtesy of Kaila's astounding art skills.

It's not showing for me... :(

Oh wow, I see her now. Wouldn't wanna meet her in a dark alley. Or even a well-lit alley. She looks _mean_.
    Well she is Evil, after all. If lawful. If she'd promised not to hurt you beforehand you'd be *fine*.
    ... actually tempted to use this one for SharTeel Dosan...
    Feel free to! Though I confess I absolutely adore Kaila's Shar-Teel. The sneer is just so great. You can imagine she's looking at Eldoth.

Belindis and Shar-Teel are pretty good battle-buddies. I always like it when Shar takes on her dad in the final battle.
    I love her too, and I like Kaila's version with the sneer. In my last playthough I forgot she hated Eldoth so much, and, um... Skie and her seem to be best buds now, anyway...
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I wish the samples came with a "who is who" key. I can guess about half of them, but....
    Iecerint said:

I wish the samples came with a "who is who" key. I can guess about half of them, but....

Dorn, Rasaad, Neera, Xan, Tiax, Skie, SharTeel, Safana
    Branwen, Monty, Xzar, Yeslick, Kivan, Khalid, Jahiera, Kagain, Garrick, eldoth, Faldorn
    Adjantis, Coran, Imoen, Dynahier, Minsc, Alora, Quayle, Keldorn, Jan, Anomen, Cernd
    Aerie, Vicky, Valygar, Sarevok, Nalia, Mazzy, Korgan, Yoshimo, HaerDalis, Edwin, Edwina

Download the BGEE version and it automatically replaces the original portraits for you.

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    Not sure if you know but there is a thread for this one :P No worries, I always take care of our baby :P And I'm in touch with Arta so one day you may see some more of her work... maybe mod NPCs... we'll see :)
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13507/paintbg-for-all-bg-platforms

edited April 2013
    Well, she's already done Valen and Solaufein. That's 2 mod NPCs right there.

EDIT: And Xulaye.
    Maelora69 said:

Iecerint said:

Branwen, Monty, Xzar, Yeslick, Kivan, Khalid, Jahiera, Kagain, Garrick, eldoth, Faldorn
    Adjantis, Coran, Imoen, Dynahier, Minsc, Alora, Quayle, Keldorn, Jan, Anomen, Cernd
    Aerie, Vicky, Valygar, Sarevok, Nalia, Mazzy, Korgan, Yoshimo, HaerDalis, Edwin, Edwina

Download the BGEE version and it automatically replaces the original portraits for you.

Thanks -- iPad ghetto, though.
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    VERY NICE! Thank you for sharing!
    Iecerint said:

Maelora69 said:

Iecerint said:

I use the mod on my iPad. It works fine!

Not sure if you know but there is a thread for this one :P No worries, I always take care of our baby :P And I'm in touch with Arta so one day you may see some more of her work... maybe mod NPCs... we'll see :)

Sorry, didn't know there was a seperate thread LDV!

Iecerint said:

Maelora69 said:

Iecerint said:

Jailed.

I guess I can try escaping, but it seems like a bit of a project.
    edited April 2013
    Iecerint said:

Iecerint said:

Maelora69 said:

Iecerint said:

Jailed.

@Iecerint: Mine is jailed too. Just use iFunBox to put the .bmps in the portraits folder. It overrides them all. You can override the Manley ones the same way to stick in a bunch of charname portraits as well.
    @Maelora69 - no need to be sorry xD It's still some more attention :D And Arta deserves attention :P
    And yeah, there are 3 mod NPCs already and they will appear in the mod, but when there are more than just...you know, three portrait :P But I am the guy with the whip in my and Arta's relationship so I will make her work xD
    ...but no, seriously, I understand she's not a portrait machine, but I remember that there are people who want more, so will try to support her in a way or two :) Will obviously take care of the coding, heh.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    I love them all, so much spiffier than the originals! And best of all, Coran has a chin.

@Maelora69 - no need to be sorry xD It's still some more attention :D And Arta deserves attention :P
    And yeah, there are 3 mod NPCs already and they will appear in the mod, but when there are more than just...you know, three portrait :P But I am the guy with the whip in my and Arta's relationship so I will make her work xD
    ...but no, seriously, I understand she's not a portrait machine, but I remember that there are people who want more, so will try to support her in a way or two :) Will obviously take care of the coding, heh.

Haha, that's okay! I've put a lot of business her way lately and tried to commission a few to 'fill the gaps' in the collection, like female gnome or halforc, or portraits with familiars.
    I know :P I have dA :P
    ...hmm, I think I'll send her a PM ^^

Iecerint said:

Iecerint said:

Maelora69 said:

Iecerint said:

Jailed.

@Iecerint: Mine is jailed too. Just use iFunBox to put the .bmps in the portraits folder. It overrides them all. You can override the Manley ones the same way to stick in a bunch of charname portraits as well.
    "Manley ones" ?

I had thought I tried this in the past and didn't have much luck. I'll try again. :]

Does it also apply to existing save-games?
    >"Manley ones" ?

The original ones.
    The ones that look like they've had their facial features rearranged by Minsc with Crom Feyr.

>Does it also apply to existing save-games?

Yep!

I meant the Jason Manley ones from the portrait pack, haha! The ones you have to buy on the iPad.

I meant the Jason Manley ones from the portrait pack, haha! The ones you have to buy on the iPad.

Oh, sorry! Now they're not too bad! They almost remind me of the IWD portraits.

Who did the original ones then?

I actually like the BG2 ones. But Kaila's are better.

That would be because they are done by the Icewind dale artist ;)

I don't know who did the defaults. Aren't they all painted-over Bioware employees and their friends? I mean, Ajantis is clearly Ray Muzyka.
    Yes, I think they are BW employees. After Dorn Il-Khan has pounded on their faces for about an hour with the Flail of Ages (acid head).