Skip to content

Tresset's Shadowdancer bugfixes. IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
edited July 2013 in General Modding
For the impatient people who can not wait for the next patch to try a less buggy shadowdancer and have requested it.

Some documentation of my process can be found here:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16394/bug-shadow-dancers-bugs#latest
You may want to go there to read about what I did to fix these bugs.

The bugs I fixed to the best of my limited ability are Shadowstep, Slippery Mind, and Backstab progression.

Read the readme included for installation information and some minor documentation of what the fix does and when it works. I would recommend starting over from the beginning if you already have a shadowdancer game going.

Make sure you uninstall my fixes once the official fixes come out. They will probably interfere with the patch when it comes out and must be manually removed from the override folder.

Enjoy.

(How much to bet that the official fix comes out tomorrow?)

Edit: Also this fix would not be possible without @horredtheplague. Gotta give him credit because I basically did what he said.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!:
Ok, we have a problem. The backstab adjuster portion of this fix will cause issues for your SD in the next patch when it comes out. The issue being that if you have my fix and a SD game in progress your backstab will be reduced to x1 or no backstab at all once the game gets patched. I will see if I can make some script that can be used to remove the effect but for now I suggest that everyone who got this fix gets EE Keeper (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-shadow-keeper-for-bgee). Even if I don't come up with something the fix should be fairly easy with EE keeper. All you would have to do is select your shadowdancer character and scroll over to the "Affects" tab and remove the affect that my fix puts on your character which is highlighted in the screen shots.
imageimage

Until then the fix still works fine in the current patch (version 2014). Just keep in mind that you will need to remove it somehow if you choose to download it.
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    I just tried rolling one up for the first time. he has no weapons available to put proficiency points in, so I can't even complete chargen. I wish I could even GET to the real bugs.
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    Thanks T!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @crawlkill Wha? That couldn't have been my doing. I didn't mess with the proficiencies at all. I'm not sure what could be wrong there.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    crawlkill said:

I just tried rolling one up for the first time. he has no weapons available to put proficiency points in, so I can't even complete chargen. I wish I could even GET to the real bugs.

If you have altered any of your 2da's relating to weapon proficiencies it's possible that the 2da you have in your override is old and doesn't account for the new kits added.

I know some people altered the weapon profs 2da for a variety of reasons and its easy to forget about that file in your override folder.

I had this issue and basically just deleted the old file and edited the current file with near infinity with my changes which produced a new and current file in the override folder. This is almost certainly your issue and is not a "bug" per se. Just an outdated modified file.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    At worst, you'll have to reinstall.
    Ok, we have a problem. The backstab adjuster portion of this fix will cause issues for your SD in the next patch when it comes out. The issue being that if you have my fix and a SD game in progress your backstab will be reduced to x1 or no backstab at all once the game gets patched. I will see if I can make some script that can be used to remove the effect but for now I suggest that everyone who got this fix gets EE Keeper (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-shadow-keeper-for-bgee). Even if I don't come up with something the fix should be fairly easy with EE keeper. All you would have to do is select your shadowdancer character and scroll over to the "Affects" tab and remove the affect that my fix puts on your character which is highlighted in the screen shots.

imageimage

Until then the fix still works fine in the current patch (version 2014). Just keep in mind that you will need to remove it somehow if you choose to download it.
    I'ma put this in the modding thread instead of the general thread.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Tresset said:

What type of evil troll is that?? I won't wonder anymore why it crashed, totally explained :P.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Something that can come in handy for ppl making mods on shadowdancer:

When i dual class a shadowdancer to another class, for some reason my shadowstep skills never get ununsable, so when i did a dual class for a fighter level 1 in my game, i could use shadowstep even with the class inactive and my fighter lvl 1.

When the shadowdancer class was reactivated, it doubled my uses of shadowstep, a bit lame if anyone ask me.
    edited January 2014

Tresset said:

What type of evil troll is that?? I won't wonder anymore why it crashed, totally explained :P.
    Actually that is not why the MDK2 spell crashes. The spell was supposed to summon the characters from the MDK2 game to kick butt for you but animations don't exist for them and so the game crashes when the spell is cast. You can see for yourself by creating the item "MDK2SUMM" and trying to cast it.

The reason you see the MDK2SUMM effect there is because I was even more of a noob modder when I made this fix than I am now and I didn't know how to create a new resource for the game so I repurposed an existing one; the only one that was unused and I was fairly certain would probably never be used again, which was, of course, the MDK2 Spell.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Tresset I knew that (and I didn't see your reply until now :P) the spell crashed the game because of the animations. The "evil troll" I was talking of is adding that particular effect to a character ;) I didn't knew that you've re-touched it, I just thought that it was added by mistake (and that happens, once a while I had created a sword that drained 3 STR with each hit, but I made a mistake and the target was the user XD so it drained you 3 STR each hit you gave :P).