Skip to content

is there an easy way to duel wield/bow

One thing that continues to annoy me is that i want to duel wield, but it makes using a bow also require going into the inventory and removing the second weapon. I am surprised that it wasn't made easier with enhanced edition, so maybe it is impossible, though I hear you could do this in icewind dale. Anyway, is there anything I don't know of that could make this easier, like hotkeys to remove the second weapon and equip bow? And please overhaul, if it can be done, include it in the next update.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Nope, and as a consequence this is one of the most commonly requested features for the enhanced edition.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    lol i had hoped there was some secret :( i guess what i will do is duel wield but if i get a bow out at some other time, i could still easily switch to a single weapon. but then i would need proficiencies in single and two weapon. i guess i have to continue to deal with it. have beamdog/overhaul been looking into the issue at least to include in an update? i know that it is something many of us are looking for.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

Or, a player could just make up his/her mind on what they want the character to wield, and deal with it. Switching out equipment like in IWD2 is super cheesy, IMHO.

It is a lot more fun to have more choices to fit the situation, and it isn't really cheesy. It is logical that I could have two swords at my side and a bow on my back and switch.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Or, a player could just make up his/her mind on what they want the character to wield, and deal with it. Switching out equipment like in IWD2 is super cheesy, IMHO.

With the way BG:EE currently works regarding auto-pausing in the inventory screen, adding weapon combination quickslots à la IWD2 would do nothing other than remove a needless inconvenience to the player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I've always focused my characters on one or the other; missile or melee. Even in PNP. So I never found it THAT bothersome of a limitation. But there are a few such things in the engine, like spears are coded as two handed weapons, historically spear and shield is a VERY common style (possibly, THE most common style). And I'd love to see an option for javelin (or pylum) and shield where you could throw the javelin then automatically switch to melee weapon (what can I say, I'm really big on Roman infantry tactics). Actually, the way the engine currently treats running out of missiles comes very close to approximating that.
    But these are all tweaks that will likely never get changed. Really, that's fine. Every engine will have its limitations and omissions.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @atcDave

I would also LOVE to see a spear-and-shield / javelin-and-shield functionality be made possible. It would enhance the functionality of spears, which I currently never use. And it would not be imbalancing, given that spears are already gimped damage-wise compared to other options.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

Every character in every BG or IWD game is able to switch weapons at any time without any difficulty. It's just that in Icewind Dale II it isn't such a pain in the butt for the player. ;)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    ::::thinks to self::::::

Dual wielding a bow? Um????

:::Wonders how you would hold two bows AND pull the strings on them?:::::

(it's a joke)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

::::thinks to self::::::

Dual wielding a bow? Um????

:::Wonders how you would hold two bows AND pull the strings on them?:::::

(it's a joke)

With your toes and a liberal application of yoga.
    @Eudaemonium - I was going to go a different direction, but OK. LOL
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    The reason why I don't see the feature requested by the OP as 'cheese', is that the game already allows you to do it, as @Calmar says.

Suppose I have a bow equipped, and want to switch to sword and shield. I can pause the game, take the bow down, and put the sword and shield up, with no loss or detriment. The feature request is simply that this cumbersome process, which can be achieved in several steps, be achievable in one.

And herein lies the flaw with the argument @subtledoctor advances. While I agree entirely that you SHOULDN'T be able to switch on the fly, in combat, at least without some kind of penalty, the fact is the game rules/engine already say that you CAN.

If the game already lets the player do something, then they should be able to do it with minimal fuss/inconvenience. Otherwise, if it's not intended, they should not allow the player to do it at all.

The fact is, that is clearly something that is intended to be permissible for the player (regardless of the gameplay effects on the viability of certain weapon styles). It can be seen most clearly when trying to change armour mid-battle, the game will not allow it. If that was possible, the game could well have prohibited equipping ranged weapons in combat - but it doesn't.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

@Eudaemonium - I was going to go a different direction, but OK. LOL

NSFW?

The reason why I don't see the feature requested by the OP as 'cheese', is that the game already allows you to do it, as @Calmar says.

Suppose I have a bow equipped, and want to switch to sword and shield. I can pause the game, take the bow down, and put the sword and shield up, with no loss or detriment. The feature request is simply that this cumbersome process, which can be achieved in several steps, be achievable in one.

And herein lies the flaw with the argument @subtledoctor advances. While I agree entirely that you SHOULDN'T be able to switch on the fly, in combat, at least without some kind of penalty, the fact is the game rules/engine already say that you CAN.

If the game already lets the player do something, then they should be able to do it with minimal fuss/inconvenience. Otherwise, if it's not intended, they should not allow the player to do it at all.

The fact is, that is clearly something that is intended to be permissible for the player (regardless of the gameplay effects on the viability of certain weapon styles). It can be seen most clearly when trying to change armour mid-battle, the game will not allow it. If that was possible, the game could well have prohibited equipping ranged weapons in combat - but it doesn't.

In vanilla the game unpaused when you went to invetory... bg2 dropped this to make the game easier.
    DreadKhan said:

In vanilla the game unpaused when you went to invetory... bg2 dropped this to make the game easier.
    Actually I think the origins are PNP. A melee round is supposed to be one full minute. I think Infinity Engine initially changed this for game play reasons, watching our animated characters thrust and parry with only one or two chances of maybe scoring a hit for a full minute would be tedious even for us PNP diehards! So in PNP, routine things like changing weapons should be no difficulty in a melee round. But swapping armor should not be possible. These distinctions are fairly easy for a DM to manage. BG addressed this by unpausing in inventory. But I think BGII reversed that decision because it was too difficult to change weapon combos or find a potion or scroll. Unless they added a special provision for armor, it will have to be one way or the other. And I like the current method, I would rarely swap around armor on battle anyway (although there's an obvious exploit for multi/dual class mages! It leaves it up to us to role play it well), but other changes are doable whenever I'm energetic enough to open inventory.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Can you actually swap armour in battle in BG? I thought it was impossible, unlike say, weapons.
    @DreadKhan - A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.

@atcDave - I agree with your assessment, though to be fair; in PnP the round is 'Supposed' to be 1 minute. In reality it lasts as long as it takes all of the players to roll dice (including the DM for monsters of course).

At the end of the day, I 'think' that the reason it was never 'Fixed' in BG was because the intent is to be tactical. I imagine that the developers figure that the level of inconvenience (which does exist) is on the small side of things since you are likely to be pausing a lot in games anyway. Not to say it shouldn't be fixed, just that it is pretty low on the 'needs' list.
    Yeah Eudaemonium it's pretty funny, with the BGII engine you can change armor as many times as you want in a single round!

Spyder I remember single PNP rounds going over an hour with a lot of players and enemies in a high level game. Even worse in a long running game, each player may have multiple characters. I remember one such, we had all started with two PCs (only three players when the game started, so the DM felt we needed more characters), and after several years I had three henchmen, one spouse, and two adult children in my "party" alone; one night we had eight players, and went up against a small army. Tons of fun, but we were playing until seven AM. Ahhhh, the joys of a misspent youth...
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Can you actually swap armour in battle in BG? I thought it was impossible, unlike say, weapons.

You cannot swap armor so your memory is correct.

AHF said:

You cannot swap armor so your memory is correct.

My bad, you're right. I'm not sure what I was thinking of.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Everything else can be swapped. Maybe you were thinking of cloaks, belts, shields, and other protective gear.
    @atcDave - I remember those days as well. Many a weekend we would have marathon gaming nights where we were up till dawn. And many were the times we would have complicated or convoluted turns such that they took a really long time to resolve.

Now the computer resolves things for you. In some ways that is better. In others it is worse. Ah, well. Life (and gaming) goes on.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    In vanilla BG1 it is definitely possible to swap armour during combat.
    edited April 2013
    atcDave said:

DreadKhan said:

Actually I think the origins are PNP. A melee round is supposed to be one full minute. I think Infinity Engine initially changed this for game play reasons, watching our animated characters thrust and parry with only one or two chances of maybe scoring a hit for a full minute would be tedious even for us PNP diehards! So in PNP, routine things like changing weapons should be no difficulty in a melee round. But swapping armor should not be possible. These distinctions are fairly easy for a DM to manage. BG addressed this by unpausing in inventory. But I think BGII reversed that decision because it was too difficult to change weapon combos or find a potion or scroll. Unless they added a special provision for armor, it will have to be one way or the other. And I like the current method, I would rarely swap around armor on battle anyway (although there's an obvious exploit for multi/dual class mages! It leaves it up to us to role play it well), but other changes are doable whenever I'm energetic enough to open inventory.
    You are correct that BG shortened what a round means, but even in proper 2nd ed you couldnt switch weapons, armour, shields willy nilly, but in non-vanilla it lets you backstab with shadow armour and switch to ankheg to melee for a f/t, and I dont like that. Changing armour is laborious, though quickslot weapons i will endure.

I mean seriously, dave, in 2nd you would change into fullplate in front of an opponent???

Edit: erm, i guess my issues were delt with.
    DreadKhan said:

atcDave said:

DreadKhan said:

You are correct that BG shortened what a round means, but even in proper 2nd ed you couldnt switch weapons, armour, shields willy nilly, but in non-vanilla it lets you backstab with shadow armour and switch to ankheg to melee for a f/t, and I dont like that. Changing armour is laborious, though quickslot weapons i will endure.

I mean seriously, dave, in 2nd you would change into fullplate in front of an opponent???

Edit: erm, i guess my issues were delt with.
    I think you misunderstood me! In PNP its the DM who enforces such things, so no, unless your DM is a total moron you wouldn't change armor in a melee round. But changing weapons? Sure, why not. Use your bow until the enemies close, then switch to sword and shield, no problem. A switch might be disallowed if you did something dumb, but every DM I've played with allows routine swaps of gear in your possession, normally (an overbearing opponent or being partially immobilized might be exceptions).
    I think it was vanilla BG that allowed swaps of armor during a melee if you were quick on the mouse. THAT's what I was saying was an obvious exploit. I know I've seen games that do allow it; but it is TERRIBLE role playing to change armor in battle, even if a game system allows it.