Skip to content

As a mark of respect. Pleeeeaaase put the Iron Lady into BG:EE.

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
edited April 2013 in General Modding
Margret Thatcher. Political heavyweight. Longest serving British Prime minister in modern times. The Iron Lady, has sadly passed away.

A fitting memorial could be that she enters the world of BG:EE as an NPC!

She was such a character that turning her into a character for BG:EE would be easy...

She would be a Paladin, a Cavalier, because she was fearless (took on the Argentine Junta (who decided that Maggie didn't have the balls to do anything about the Falklands)), Immune to charm ("This lady is not for turning!" was a famous quote of hers). The other immunities are fitting as she also survived several bombs sent her way by the IRA.

She would have specialization in halberds. (Less Poll Tax more Pole-Axe)

She would have a special hatred against all miners, for what they have done to the Iron... and you see alot in BG!

She would be THE IRON LADY, clad in full plate.

Charisma would be 19, but would be very decisive. She should be able to get into arguments with every NPC, and fight anyone who didn't agree with her.

Her alignment should be Chaotic Good, although. She tried to do the best for the country, however she never followed the consensus, so divided opinion. I understand this is not normally possible for a Paladin. This along with the 19 charisma would be oddball element you can only get with an NPC (like Corans 20 in Dex for example).

So... What do you think?

Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Modding forum is that way --->

:P
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    And now I know how Joan Of Arc felt.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Of all the people who died between 1998-2013...I'm not sure I would pick Thatcher.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    No.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2013
    this can't be serious
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It was just an idea that popped into my head... I think this is a mod request...

And if @Eudaemonium says no... It's gotta be a bad idea...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Anduin
    If you like I can move it to the appropriate forum. Might get more traction there. :)
    @Aosaw Thank you, please move. No need to clutter the feature request forum with obvious mod requests like this.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've moved the thread as requested. Carry on!
    Anyone up for a politically motivated mod of respect?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    You put up a very positive view of Margaret Thatcher. She gives me the creeps. I'd say CHA 3, she makes my spine tingle in a negative way. We're still living with the legacy of those 2 (Reagan is the other one), who started digging the neo-liberal quagmire, or slippery slope to not caring for each other and the earth anymore, that we're in now. But I really agree with reedmilfam, reality sucks and the BGEE forum is not for discussing politics.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    Plenty of better people have lived and died. If you are dead set on tribute, build her a middle finger out of +1 bastard swords or do the mod yourself.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Anduin In the future, if you want to move your own threads, you can do so by editing the OP and changing the category in the dropdown box.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Kilivitz said:

And now I know how Joan Of Arc felt.

As the flames rose to her roman nose and her walkman started to melt.

If you wanted to be a coal miner or a textile mill worker... Maggie Thatcher broke your dreams.

I am sorry about those towns built around the pits. My town of *r*d*e* was a pit town (need to keep details secret you never know if @Bhaaldog will come and bite you...)

However a month before all the trouble really got started they dug into the watertable and the whole seam was flooded anyway, they all lost the jobs BUT STILL BLAMED MAGGIE! Not sure how though... They dug into the water table themselves... I always wondered where they got the idea for Yeslick and his clan story... Hmmm... Anyway...

If you wanted to:
    - protect the environment.
    - buy your own shares in businesses.
    - buy your own house.
    - live in a meritocracy.
    - Play at being a major world power and hit back at Empire building Argentinians, who value land over people.
    - be an INDIVIDUAL in a consumer / capitalist economy.
    - give free school meals to children who need it.

Then Maggie was your hero.

If you wanted to:
    - have a strong union.
    - live in a SOCIETY that is state run.
    - have milk given to all children, letting the poor ones gain nothing.
    - work in a mine.
    - work in a loss producing industry.
    - go on strike a lot.
    - use euros instead of pounds.
    - have a communist style regime / government, with everyone the treated the same (because that WAS the alternative)

Then Maggie was really not for you.

She did sell off a lot of state run businesses. Many of which instantly collapsed, leaving many suddenly unemployed with the finger of blame pointing straight at Maggie... I am not old enough to have worked in that period, I can feel sorry for those who lost a job (unemployment rose to 3.6 million out of a population of 65 million) but I also can't see how we can run loss making businesses to be funded by the state. And reopening the mines so that they can lose money is never ever going to happen, so why continue harbouring the grudge? I need this explained to me.

The country of Britain was called the sick-man of Europe for a reason. It is not called it anymore.

Please state your case if your against, and your reasons why please! I loved to know why she should be a blackguard! Maybe she should be!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Despite being British myself, I was born a year after Thatcher stepped down, so I can't really say how great or terrible she was. That said, I think it's pretty clear that she's a highly contentious figure. I would recommend using DLTCEP to create yourself a weapon (+1 Iron Halberd perhaps?).

While I have no strong opinion regarding her myself (although I do begrudge the fact that she stole from me daily milk!), I would strongly argue against a 19 charisma-I swear that a 19 Charisma in 2e would be literally the most compelling person you had ever met, able to make anyone fall for them? A 15 or a 16 would be more fitting. As for alignment, I would argue more for Lawful Neutral. As a figure of state, she must by definition be lawful and I don't think terms like Good or Evil can really describe real people (especially @Bhaaldog, who is clearly Chaotic Purple).
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Figures of state don't have to be lawful. Anyone who's keen on social reform and tossing out the old order is probably more likely to be chaotic. I go by the definition whereby lawful folk stress society above the individual and chaotics think the individual is sacrosanct.

But I can't see Thatcher as remotely chaotic. That uncompromising nature is your classic "I'm right and you're wrong, my way or the highway" lawful mentality. What flavor of lawful is a matter of opinion and personal politics, though.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    This is not a forum for political discussion, so I would very much appreciate keeping the politics--including whether Margaret Thatcher would be a paladin or a blackguard--out of it.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Oh @Anduin, what rose-coloured glasses you have!

If Thatcher was modded into this game, she could replace Cythandria and I wouldn't feel it to be out-of-place.
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    This thread is brilliant.
    I like to think I have had some brilliant ideas and solutions that have in a small way contributed to the world of BG...

I put my hands up and also say I have had some duff ideas that only deserve to be mocked and thrown away.

This idea is my first cause of major controversy... Oh dear.

Part of me thinks maybe it should be shelved...

The other part says... It was just an idea... If no one likes it... Meh...
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    @Anduin heck, mod the entire game to look like a trip to the UN, if you wish. It is a 14 year old game, you don't necessarily need the approval of the community to have fun.

Thatcher wasn't the worst Tory PM of the 20th Century, that distinction will always be held by Chamberlain.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Anduin said:

I like to think I have had some brilliant ideas and solutions that have in a small way contributed to the world of BG...

I put my hands up and also say I have had some duff ideas that only deserve to be mocked and thrown away.

What the heck I approve of it.
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2013
    That's some quality trolling OP. Hahaha Chaotic Good, perhaps if you throw in an Helmet of Opposite Alignment. :p
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Anduin said:

I may not have been a fan of Thatcher, but don't feel bad just because some people don't care for the idea of having her as an NPC. You must have really thought highly of her to look for a way to honor her somehow, even if this might initially seem like an odd venue.

I say embrace the controversy - give her that 19 CHA and charm immunity, but also make her enter berserker rage any time CHARNAME gives gold to a beggar or tries to sleep in a public place ;)

Sometimes we have to be able to laugh at ourselves a little bit. I hope you do get to see an iteration of Ms. Thatcher in-game...and I'll be hoping that someone mods in a Salvador Allende NPC strong enough to fight her :). Peace and good gaming to ya, OP - regardless of your politics.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    not a modder, but would definitely recruit if made, i also like @tome 's idea of a magic weapon called the iron lady (+1 whatever with x special abilities)