Skip to content

What's the newest thing you've learned about BG?

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    that there is cap level of attacks per round if you are not using HlAS so
    blade can possible achive 9attacks/round but it is probably capped at 5

sad panda
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    @zur312 you can go beyond 5 APR if you're using Improved Haste, which is probably the only way you're going to get above 5 APR with a Bard (or any other character not using Whirlwind) anyways.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    zur312 said:

sad panda

A Blade can't use Improved Haste with Offensive Spin, so would not be able to achieve that many attacks. Max in BGEE would be 3 if dual-wielding with Offensive Spin (4 with Darts) or with Haste (Improved Haste is not available in BGee AFAIK). In BG2EE if dual-wielding speed weapons (Belm, Kundane, Scarlet Ninja-To) would be 5 APR with Offensive Spin or (in theory) 8 with Improved Haste, unless this is capped at 5. Of course with Offensive Spin you also get +2 to hit and +2 damage and do max damage with each hit as well, though.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

zur312 said:

sad panda

A Blade can't use Improved Haste with Offensive Spin, so would not be able to achieve that many attacks. Max in BGEE would be 3 if dual-wielding with Offensive Spin (4 with Darts) or with Haste (Improved Haste is not available in BGee AFAIK).
    Actually, you can reach 4 ApR :)
    1 base + 1 dual-wielding + 1 Haste + 1 Offensive Spin.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Offensive spin doesn't stack with Haste.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    CamDawg said:

Yes, I tested this recently, nor does Free Action allow Defensive Spin
    edited April 2013
    CamDawg said:

Then it's because of Rogue Rebalancing.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2013
    @SpaceInvader @TJ_Hooker

no it's because this feature was fixed as a bug - the stacking of haste with offensive spin and free action and defensive spin.

thread, 4th post down: Please stop fixing questionable bg2 related things
    I mean that I can stack Haste and Offensive Spin, and that's probably because I installed Rogue Rebalancing.
    As for Free Action + Haste/IH/Defensive Spin, I already knew it. It was one of the first things I tried when the game came out :)
    so blade is now nerfed?

I have learn that when you are evil there are bount hunters sometimes that want to kill you lol? Is it new feature in bg:ee?
    I'm pretty sure that having bounty hunters come after you if your reputation is too low was in vanilla too.
    zur312 said:

so blade is now nerfed?

Indeed

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I just learned I won't be able to get stupid APR in BG2:EE :(
    Can i stack armor of faith? Protection from evil? Will i learn more today ; D?
    edited June 2013
    I'm pretty sure multiple castings of the same spell do not stack. I think there may have been some instances where it did in the vanilla games, but I think fixpacks, and now EE, have mostly ironed it out.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    OH MY IMMORTAL CHARACTERS : (
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    zur312 said:

I have learn that when you are evil there are bount hunters sometimes that want to kill you lol? Is it new feature in bg:ee?

I recently ran into one I'd never seen before: a young, enthusiastic Harper who you can get to leave nonviolently by basically screwing with his head. One of the few nonviolent-yet-evil dialogs in the game, and it took me 15 years to find it.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    TJ_Hooker said:

I'm pretty sure that having bounty hunters come after you if your reputation is too low was in vanilla too.

Absolutely, if you let your rep get down into the 1-2 range you will be periodically attacked by bounty hunters. It has been around since the very beginning. So not only do you have to deal with the Flaming finger (ahem, fist), but you also have to deal with them as well.

A while back there was a poster that was discussing this. They wanted to play the game ala Knights of the Dinner table style and basically kill everything and everyone. They argued that the constant attacks made it impossible to play that way. Um????
    the newest thing i have lerned about Bg.

need to play evil party lolz
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Newest thing I learned is that (Neera spoiler?)

it is apparently not possible to kill Neera at the end of her opening battle (in order to get her gem bag as well as the fight experience without allowing her to join) - you can attack her and she takes damage but never dies - apparently to make sure she is alive to join you at the end of the battle - in my recent attempt to do this I was also unable to target her quickly enough after turning her down to kill her before she disappeared (altho I am uncertain if this is impossible or just difficult)

(The reason I needed to do this was becuase I was playing a challenge where your party members are pre-determined and others are not allowed to be added for any reason)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @Wanderon: Neither Neera nor Dorn can be killed during the encounter where you recruit them. I am unsure if you can kill either after turning them down.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    @Eudaemonium

After you turn them down if your fast enough you can totally kill them.

• dawnlancedawnlance Member Posts: 25
    In black pit, I know tha Rashad's Talon +2 is cheaper than Scimitar +1. But I don't now why.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

@Wanderon: Neither Neera nor Dorn can be killed during the encounter where you recruit them. I am unsure if you can kill either after turning them down.

Haven't tried to kill Dorn, but assassin --> poison weapon --> crossbow works fine for shooting Neera.

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    It is not unusual for creatures to carry a protective item (minhp1 in this case) to avoid dying too early in the plot.

@KidCarnival - when did that work? Was it before the encounter, or after dismissing her?
    edited April 2013
    Cerevant said:

It is not unusual for creatures to carry a protective item (minhp1 in this case) to avoid dying too early in the plot.

@KidCarnival - when did that work? Was it before the encounter, or after dismissing her?

@Cerevant @KidCarnival

I am against indiscriminate protections of "plot critical NPCs". Baldur's Gate is great because of the freedom to roleplay how you want whether that's murdering some commoners or being a goody two shoes. The game should allow progression both ways and in a lot of ways it does moreso than many games that came before or since.

Please don't change the game into Dragon Age Gate or something that is very linear and you can only get to X if you have Y with you and you can't get to Z until you have X.

I don't endorse mandatory NPCs in order to get to certain areas either. To compare to BG2, for example, you have to have Valygar to get in the Planar Sphere. You can take him with you or you can use his corpse as a key to get in there. Once inside you can ditch him at the door (if he's alive or dead) and at no point does he pop up into a cutscene or become unkillable because of fear of breaking the plot.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Not to derail the conversation, but there are two different situations here:

1) The situation you describe is a writer/producer problem, and I'm not really qualified to address it.
    2) What we are talking about here is protecting critical sections of plot/dialog/script interaction for a short time. There are numerous situations like this throughout vanilla BG1 and BG2.

If you don't account for number 2, a lot of the scripting becomes very fragile, and it becomes possible for unlikely events to disrupt the story. The purpose of the protection in this case is so that the set-up dialog for the red wizard encounter can happen without Neera accidentally dying. Once the setup dialog is completed, the protective item is removed and she can indeed die in that combat. Should she be able to die before that encounter starts? Probably. But once it starts we don't want to break the rest of the encounter.
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2013
    It created an entire generation of raving, hardcore d&d nerds. I mean, holy crap. Just look at the posts on this forum! I had no idea til I saw this website.
    Me included :]
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Cerevant said:

Not to derail the conversation, but there are two different situations here:

1) The situation you describe is a writer/producer problem, and I'm not really qualified to address it.
    2) What we are talking about here is protecting critical sections of plot/dialog/script interaction for a short time. There are numerous situations like this throughout vanilla BG1 and BG2.

If you don't account for number 2, a lot of the scripting becomes very fragile, and it becomes possible for unlikely events to disrupt the story. The purpose of the protection in this case is so that the set-up dialog for the red wizard encounter can happen without Neera accidentally dying. Once the setup dialog is completed, the protective item is removed and she can indeed die in that combat. Should she be able to die before that encounter starts? Probably. But once it starts we don't want to break the rest of the encounter.

In my case I attempted to kill her after the encounter was over - that is the wizards and cohorts were gone/dead but she had not yet given her "please let me join your party now" speech - she took massive amounts of damage from my Half-orc beserker (stupifier +1) and some additional damage from Imoens bow but did not die.

When we stopped attacking her she gave her little speech - I turned her down and again attempted to kill her but she was gone almost immediately.

Thus I think the item must not be removed until after her speech and she cannot in fact die until the entire encounter is over.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    You can either kill Neera before the dialogue starts - either send an invisible scout to get in range and backstab (can still trigger the dialogue if you miss) or send a scout to see her, then kill her with ranged weapons. Or you can do that after the cutscene - best to block the "escape route" a bit with the ranged NPCs and poison weapon during the fight (if you fight the Red Wizards, if not poison before starting the dialogue). You need to be quick though; once she walks off, she is immortal. I tried to kill her in FAI and no success.