Skip to content

Request of a actual and simple tutorial for mod

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
Hi, everyone!

i'm trying to search for a good actual tutorial for game modding that can be understood by someone whom is not a coder, programmer or work with software in general, does a file like this exist somewhere? Can someone point/share it? I'm totally newbie in making mod issues and i want to give the first steps on this.

Comments

• LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    I have use Near Infinity a couple of times to change some files in BG2 but I suffer from the same handicap as described in the OP. I don't either find the totorials at the modding communities to be made for dummies like me, so a "IE Modding for Dummies" would be a great help. I tried modding some years ago and was almost able to mod an item in, but eventually gave it all up. I will probably give it another try though, as I really like this game and would gladly mod it if I could.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I agree with the OP. It would be great if a modder or someone with some experience with modding can write a simple and easy to understand tutorial about modding. For example, maybe copy an existing weapon and/or spell and make 1 minor change. Discuss about the necessary files to copy and edit. Address the common pitfalls that a beginner would make.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    What type of modding are you looking to do? There are various types of modding you could be looking to do...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Think on the best interest of everyone, people probally want to know how to make NPCs and Items.

My personal interest in modding is to learn how to change and add to the game banters.

I would like to remake most of the dialogues in the game with NPCs (non joinable ones), to fix quests and banters. Wish to make new banters for the joinable NPCs, between each other, with the main char and with other non joinable NPCs to approach the BG2 style.

Want to learn how to make non joinable NPCs to expand and/or fix some of the quests that i want to work also.

Want to make personal quests for each of the joinable NPCs, to give more reasons to they risk their necks joining the main char.

Wish to learn how to add/remove/change spells, so i can make some fixes, for example:

By adding some of the IWD spells on BG, change flesh to stone to make a special kind of stun only affected by stone to flesh, wish and some other kinds of cure instead of a death status by engine standarts, also change imprisonment into a maze spell with duration of 200.000 years instead of a death status by engine standarts, among other changes.

Wish to make an U system with the reputation point, where if you lower or raise enough your reputation the prices of merchants always will low for that (in reason of respect or fear) and make special trigger of powerful (very powerful) assaults on the party when it's on open areas if the reputation is too high (18/19/20) or too low (3/2/1). The enemies kind will of course be based on the high/low state of the reputation.

wish to make Killing innocents not drop reputation below 8, but imput over the party the effects of a reputation 1 for 2 real time hours (

Would like to change the priest contributions for reputation in some specific ways:

Evil priests - lower reputation (only to 3 at maximum, only quests can lower it anymore)
    Good Priests - Raise reputation (normal system)
    Neutral priests - By a larger sum than normal could suspend the effects of killing an innocent as previous explained.

OR

If it doesn't work, wish to simply remove this feature from the game or limit the number of times that you can use it by weeks, months, X uses per chapter of the game, Add repetable quests to make the rep gain (and loss maybe) be more than mere gold contribution, but for example by pursuing an mission for the church, killing a specific group of monsters in the region AR XXXX (where the group will be spawned after you trigger the quest), protect an specific NPC (that will be spawned there) from some monster(s) or something like that.

Well, that's pretty much what i want to learn to do in mod terms, :)!

@Archaic
    If you can recommend some tutorials, I would be grateful. Have no time to mod at present but will probably in some time. I have several ideas on my mind, but settle for two (three) here.

I want to replace some monsters.
    I want to replace some monsters in Irenicus’ dungeon. Goblins seem out of place and I want to add a couple of mage apprentices and some guards instead. I also want to replace the xvarts in their village (near Nashkel) with kobolds, and make this a quest Berrun Ghastkill gives, with a reward upon completion (XP and gold).

I want to add an upgradable item.
    I want to create a mace that first Thalantyr upgrades, then Cromwell and finally Caspenar. There will be some investigations about the weapon along the way, so two or three encounters with people to get information will be included.

Perhaps my projects are too ambitious for a beginner, don’t know; I actually aim for regular mods in WeiDU format sometime in the future. But I know very well I have to take one step at a time, and as you understand I have minimal knowledge computers so it will be a slow process. Right now, some tips and tutorial recommendations would be appreciated, just so I know where to begin when I pick modding up.

@kamuizin. Slow down, you can't learn all at once and computers are not always friendly. I like your ambition though, go on, just take it easy.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited April 2013
    I don't know of any tutorials and I'm only experienced with modding the GUI. If you really want to mod you might just have to be patient and learn via trial and error as I did.

You'll want to start by download and getting familiar with DLTCEP.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Utilities/

Good luck.
    edited April 2013
    This thread got me searching for tutorials and I found some that might help a complete beginner. Will try modding again in some time and item making seems to be an “easy” way to begin, so I’ll start there. Hope these links can help someone.

Needed tools
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=26576.0

Definitions
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/27928-definitions-tools-and-resources/

Item making
    http://forums.rpgdungeon.net/index.php?topic=1847.0

WeiDUing an item mod
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55875-making-a-weidu-mod-with-your-custom-item/

WeiDU basics
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=55.0
    Post edited by Loremaster on
    i will try to find something to change gear of NPCs (joinable and non joinable) at least to make some rewards better when i got how to do.
    The links in the former post are no longer broken.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The simplest modding you can do is modifying the game's 2da files allowing you to change from the XP Cap to the amount of xp each class needs to level up, for instance. A common change I do in my games is change the druid's XP table to be equal to the cleric's.

Things like changing a class powers is a little more complicated. You need to understand what the .spl files do and how to work with them in near infinity.

Each version of BGEE has seen more and more externalization of previously internal functions to external 2da files making some things that were previously impossible or required binary editing of the main game executable quite simple.

In other words simple changes are easy to explain and require nothing more than reading a table and changing the values. Complicated changes actually require a little more technical knowledge. The Infinity Engine is not mod friendly and I doubt it's even possible to write a simple tutorial that would explain advanced modding.
  • SojournerSojourner Member Posts: 42
    Honestly the "coding" itself is not that complicated. The problem is the lack of documentation about the plethora of files involved. Is there a list somewhere of what all the 2da files correspond to? I can (and have) guessed at several, but there are many many more that I would need to know what they are in order to interpret the structure, since I don't have access to the core code itself.
    Nice appointment @Lansounet, deserve a promote for it in my view:)!