Skip to content

the expected demise of the desktop PC

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
Articles about the expected demise of the desktop PC

I'm a little irked at the talk that desktop PCs are soon to be phased out, because most consumers are preferring to purchase tablets and smartphones instead. (Tablets replacing laptops.) And also gaming console systems that use the large screen TV versus a PC.

I prefer the ergonomics of sitting in a comfortable chair at a desk, in a room with a desktop computer surround sound system, manipulating a mouse, and enjoying it all in one 27" monitor (I'll probably eventually upgrade to a bit larger screen than that, but not too much). That to me is the ideal ergonomics for gaming.

The iPad is actually a bit unwieldy to play a game with. I mean, it has it's uses. But I would not want to be restricted to that mode of playing the game. And I have no interest in console systems. Tried a Xbox some years ago and really disliked it.

Now the stores that I use to build my gaming rigs are disappearing right and left, forcing me to either use Best Buy or Staples, or learn how to assemble a home built PC myself. :\

Just venting, lol!

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Right, Starcraft and touchscreen don't mix.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited April 2013
    I second @Drugar. Desktop PCs aren't going anywhere any soon. Tablets and such have a long way to go before making "traditional" PCs obsolete, and even if that happens, the transition will happen slowly.

Those articles are always way more sensationalist than accurate.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'd agree that the PC is here to stay... all until Windows 8 came along.
    My first experience with Windows 8 was the MSDN evaluation version. It worked like a charm and I actually liked it a lot, specially after realizing hat the new Start Screen is nothing but a stretched-out Start Menu. After a while, you get used to it. The "metro" apps are mostly useless if you're not on a tablet, so they can be ignored/uninstalled.

Once the trial period was over, I purchased Win 8 Pro and did a fresh install on the same computer. That's when things got wonky. Metro apps wouldn't work at all, programs that seemed to be compatible started crashing, and so on.

I ended up rolling back to Windows 7. That's the first time I've ever done that after testing out a new Windows.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I really want to try out Windows 8. I saw some videos and screenshots and was pretty skeptical, but reserving judgement 'til I actually use it.
    Don't see the need for a touchscreen interface on a device that has a mouse and keyboard. Don't fix what isn't broken.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    The number of desktops in use will likely continue to shrink as tablets and other mobile devices become more capable. And my most counts, Windows 8 will help speed up the process (14% drop in PC sales since Windows 8 was introduced).

BUT, there will always be applications, whether its business or gaming, where the desktop will be the superior machine. As others have pointed out, it has ergonomic advantages, bigger display, potentially better sound, and many others. Now I do think the technology will continue to morph. And who knows if Microsoft, Apple or Google will even still be a player ten or twenty years from now. But some sort of desktop/workstation sort of computer will likely be with us for a long time.
    Speaking only for myself, I would love if eventually my tablet and desktop became the same computer; you know, like dock the tablet at home for a bigger screen, real keyboard, mouse, better sound. Then take it with me on the go so my mobile experience has identical content to my home experience. I'm not big on putting all my stuff in the cloud, but who knows. The future is a great unknown.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Probably a bad comparison here, but... Desktop PCs are like Aircraft Carriers. They're going to live past their time.

Probably a bad comparison here, but... Desktop PCs are like Aircraft Carriers. They're going to live past their time.

Their use is/will be as a mothership for all sorts of smaller devices with a multitude of functions.

I think it holds up :-p
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151

Yeah, that's a really bad comparison. My money is on the aircraft carrier being useful long after desk top computers are toast.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I think comrade @Drugar pretty much said everything I also wanted to write down. Personally I am not interested in the whole tablet/smartphone hype at all. I just want a phone with a decent working internet connection so that I can keep costs low while staying in touch with my boyfriend from afar and be mobile at the same time, as in, not being restricted to a PC to be able to talk to him. I don't care about fancy graphics or 'apps'. Not one bit. A phone has to be functional and work properly. As for the Windows 8 debacle, I must admit that I DESPISE it. It's been installed on one of our PCs, the one in the kitchen, and I find it terribly chaotic and difficult to use. Who in his right mind thought it was a good idea to remove the friggin' Start button in the bottom left corner of the screen, on the task bar? I even had trouble finding the right button to properly shut down my PC into sleep mode this way, and I'm not talking about the one on the keyboard. It's outrageous and I severely dislike it. Even my dad, who's good at technical stuff and has used Windows systems for years, got frustrated at using it. I hope, I really hope, that Windows 9 will be better. Else I'll just stay with Windows 7 even longer.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2013
    My PC is connected to my 81" HDTV. I play games from a recliner in my living room, with a wireless keyboard in my lap, and a trackball mouse on the arm of the recliner. My sound is connected to a Sony amplifier, and I listen through top-of-the-line headphones.

A laptop or tablet would be a considerable step backwards in entertainment technology for me. One which I hope I will not have to spend huge amounts of money in the near future to avoid.

I don't often see my particular concerns discussed when this kind of topic is brought up. HDTV's can be used for computer monitors. This has been true since about 2005 or so. PC's are easy to hook up to your main home entertainment center. My PC is an entertainment component, and sits physically near my amplifier, dvr, and blueray player.

The high quality of picture and sound that I am used to is not something I am going to want to give up. My fear is that the niche market I represent is so small, the prices we have to pay for what we want are going to get higher and higher, perhaps to the point of unaffordability for middle class consumers.

I know, for example, that Mitsubishi has stopped producing large-screen (greater than 60") DLP and CoSA televisions. I own two of them, a 72" CoSA, and my current 81" DLP. The older one has a slowly fading light engine that cannot be repaired, since it is out of production. If my DLP ever breaks down irreparably, which may be inevitable, I don't know what I am going to do.

My home-entertainment PC gaming is such an integral part of my lifestyle, I'm actually rather worried.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013
    I just hope that the industry continues to offer a box--whatever size or shape--to hold the basic components of a gaming PC. And that I can continue to buy those components and custom build my rigs!

The ma 'n pa local computer repair shops that will assemble a rig for you are disappearing. Their only market is now gaming rigs and servers for small businesses. The shop I had been using for the last dozen years went out of business. The other one nearby had 10 stores throughout the state about 10 years ago and is now down to 1! (I live in a densely populated area, mind you.) The owner says the causal computer user either a) doesn't own a PC anymore, or b) if they do and it needs repair, they either just buy a whole new ready-made system, or take it to Best Buy or Staples for repair.

Like @belgarathmth for a while I had our big screen in the living room hooked up to a PC. I thought my wife and I would use it to watch stuff streamed from the Internet. But we ended up not using it that way very much. Once in a blue moon maybe. Last Fall I moved that PC to my office because it was the rig I could play BG:EE on (the other one has an Intel CPU and NVIDIA graphics card--BG:EE is completely unplayable on it). I didn't bother to put the other PC in the living room, since we weren't really using the big screen TV for the Internet anyway. We have an iPad and a Kindle Fire for when we're sitting in the living room watching TV.

But eventually I might try to set up something like @belgarathmth describes for my office... i.e., something more like Jim Kirk's chair on the command deck of the Enterprise. Versus sitting at a desk, I mean.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Having a PC hooked up to big screen TV in the living room sounds neat, but for some reason I just can't shake the feeling that it'd be awkward for gaming. I could see it working well for games like BG, but for something fast paced like an RTS (my second favourite genre after RPG), it seems like it would be uncomfortable.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, the ergonomics would have to be just right. For one thing, the screen has to be the ideal size and distance from the armchair you're gaming from. I think I would have to design a platform of some sort that rests across the chair's arms to hold a wireless keyboard and mouse. It would be a challenge to get this all 'just so' for comfort and best visual experience.
    @belgarathmth
    Your lifestyle sounds good.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited April 2013
    The problem with PCs is that they are way too complex to use for your average email-checking, powerpoint-forwarding grandma. There's a large amount of PC users who use it to 0.01% of its capacities and for whom the conceptual overhead of separate physical pieces, an operating system and a web browser simply get in the way of doing the 2 very simple things they want to do.

The success of the iPhone and iPad (and their derivatives) stems not just from the fact that they're mobile, but also that they're vastly simpler to use and at the same time severely crippled devices compared to a PC, and that these are good things for a large amount of users. Even when they don't need the mobility, they'd certainly still use this small, friendly and intuitive device with an email and facebook button on it, over anything else.

That said, I entirely agree that the PC will remain relevant, but only for the category of people who actually takes advantage of its power and versatility, for whom the conceptual overhead of something like the Windows Desktop is worth going through.
    edited April 2013
    @Lemeris, I've developed my own techniques to make living room play really great, for me. I use a trackball mouse, so there's no need to move my right arm. I control all mouse functions with my right hand fingers.

For games like WoW or Skyrim, or Might and Magic for that matter, which require either a lot of ten key use, or, require the keyboard for movement, I turn the keyboard up vertically onto my stomach and chest, with the 10-key pad toward my head. I then place my left hand on the four arrow keys. If movement is on wasd by default, I remap it to the four arrow keys. Might and Magic uses the four arrow keys by default.

From left hand on the arrows, I play a game like World of Warcraft by using my index finger on the num pad - I can do it by touch - the "1" and "zero" are very convenient, and I can find all the other numbers by feeling from the "1" as my homerow key. And I only need to do that in dungeons. I can control the single player portion of the game just fine with only my right hand.

I don't need the keyboard at all to play Baldur's Gate. Space for pause is on the mouse. I *really* love games that I can control by mouse only, because then I can hold a nice drink in my left hand while controlling the game with my right.

For Might and Magic, my little finger controls "enter" for "pause" and "shift" for "run-walk", while my index finger operates right arrow or "1", my middle finger operates up and down arrows, my ring finger operates left arrow, and my thumb operates right arrow when my index finger needs a break. - I can also use my thumb for "0", and I can reach up my index finger conveniently for "delete" or "page up/page down" for flying.

All space bar functions are mapped to my left programmable mouse button, and executed with the right thumb. A second frequently-used key function goes on the right programmable mouse button and is executed with the right ring finger, usually quicksave.

I developed this technique years ago, (around 1997, in fact), so I could play Might and Magic the way I wanted to.

My creativity in indulging my own laziness knows few bounds. I am typing this to you in a reclined position, almost lying down, on an 81' HDTV, with my keyboard in my upper lap, and a blanket over my stretched out legs, with a cat lying on the blanket. I keep an extra footrest at the end of my recliner legrest, so that my feet are supported in comfort. Ah, this is the life, I tell you.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited April 2013
    Besides the ergonomics of working (it's easier typing as well as gaming behind a desk, sitting upright, with the keyboard and mouse at the right height), a PC also has the advantage lots of element can be added as well as replaced.

My first self-bought PC I added 320 GB of storage to, thereby tripling it's storage capacity, my second one I put two extra hard-disks to and later I had the motherboard replaced when it broke down, thereby lengthening it's lifespan (it's my mother's rig now), my third and current PC I have added 2 TB to, making the total of harddisk space 4 TB on my current PC. Plus I can add 3 external harddisks and a printer to it, without plugging and unplugging devices all the time.

All these things I can't do with my laptop. It's just sitting on the living room table for watching documentaries and checking mail and fora (but risking backache if I reply from there). A modestly-priced laptop hasn't even got 1 TB of drivespace and it can't be upgraded. A tablet is even more handicapped, it's only use being you can read ebooks and visit the internet while lying down in bed or when travelling by train because of it's light weight.

Edit: I don't believe PC's will disappear, there far too useful for users who want more than just checking email and browsing the net (how do tablet users even write their e-mails on such a clumsy on-screen keyboard?)
    @Son_of_Imoen: I agree with you on the 'typing mails with such a clumsy on-screen keyboard' part of your post. I once tried typing an e-mail on my mom's iPad. 't Was just horrible. So slow! And the keyboard is so sensitive that it often mistakes the letter you're touching and replaces it with a wrong one. It was frustrating. If only people would just learn how to properly type well on a keyboard, we wouldn't need any of this dumbed down stuff. :/
    edited April 2013
    OMG - the younger people are losing the ability of speedtyping? I thought *everybody* could still do that. Are they learning with their thumbs for their texting? I wonder what the maximum recorded wpm is for that, using NO abbreviations and grammatical nonsense constructions? "Dumbing down", indeed. If that trend wins out and takes over our culture, we will lose military superiority and fall to an Asian power within the next century, mark my words. Maybe I should start learning Chinese. Nee hao?

The only thing that can make qwerty speedtyping truly obsolete would be reliable electronic voice recognition. And, indeed, we are headed that way, but there is still a *long* way to go on it. The way our American corporations pander to the lowest common denominators of our society through their marketing mind control, ever motivated by profits and CEO pay, it wouldn't surpise me a bit if technological, economic, cultural, and then military superiority passed to China and India by the end of this century.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    You think that younger people are worse typers on average than older people? I would have thought just the opposite. As far as I know, younger people are more frequent users of computers than older people (and I'm using "older" and "younger" in the broadest sense here), and if you're using a computer chances are you're going to be doing some typing, at least enough to be proficient. Just about everyone I've seen who's around my age (in their 20s) has at least adequate typing skills, while I've seen a number of older people (such as my dad) who use hunt-and-peck when typing.
    edited April 2013

The only thing that can make qwerty speedtyping truly obsolete would be reliable electronic voice recognition. And, indeed, we are headed that way, but there is still a *long* way to go on it.

That's a very interesting point, but I can think of a few situations where typing is definitely preferable to having the computer transcribe what you say out loud. For example, being in an ambient where you can't make noise (like me, right now - the lady's sleeping right behind me), having to write down sensitive/offensive/inadequate content in a public place (the end of sexting!), wanting to write a word you've read but aren't sure how to pronounce, etc.

Oh, and don't forget passwords! Although I suppose this could be covered by eye or fingerprint scanning.

I think the best of both worlds would be having devices with reliable voice recognition AND an onscreen keyboard (or peripheral keyboard support) as an alternate input method.

But then again, I don't think we will be alive to see that technology become reliable and popular. Or maybe we will. Synchronicity, anyone?
    @belgarathmth: Why the attitude? I didn't say anything provocative. I just wanted to point out that most older people don't know how to type well on a keyboard. I wanted to point out the value of typing lessons, as PCs have become part of the common household nowadays. My mother, for example, still types with two fingers and just stubbornly refuses how to type well. Worst is that this attitude is rubbing off on my younger sister. Most jobs in the business world require a basic understanding of PCs and keyboard typing skills. I thought this was kind of obvious. I'm just trying to say that on-screen keyboards might be practical visually, but not in the sense of efficiency to work with. People will set high demands on you during your job, y'know? As for the chat language, I personally NEVER use any abbreviations, except for maybe 'BRB'. I don't use chat language either, never did in my teenage years and still don't now. So I an't speak for that, I'm afraid. On-screen keyboards just demotivate people from actually putting some effort into learning good typing skills, and that is why I will never be a supporter of them. As for phones, is that really an argument? It's obvious the keyboards on phones are too small to type well on with two hands. We're also speaking about different devices with their own unique features here. So that comparison doesn't hold up, I'm afraid.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Honestly, I'd say this is probably more where we're headed: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/special-offers.workflow:ShowPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Landing_pages/Convertibles-splitter&menu-id=products&ref-id=products

A hyper-lightweight laptop with a built-in touch screen that enables it to be used as both a laptop-with-keyboard and as a tablet. A lot of product developers are working on these, and the price points for them aren't significantly higher than they are for a tablet or a laptop.

Once Apple gets on-board with the idea, I think we'll start seeing more and more users gravitating toward laptop/tablet hybrids, more so than one or the other.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    TJ_Hooker said:

hunt-and-peck

I have never heard this term before, but after a quick search I realise it's what I used to do when I got my ZX Spectrum years ago :D.

And, no, desktops are not going anywhere. Not unless Intel, AMD, and nVidia all stop producing hardware for desktops. Just look at this glorious thing (the COSMOS II Ultra Case, superb airflow as well). Perhaps glorious is over-doing it, it's what's inside that counts, but why would I trade that for something that can fit in the palm of my hand and can do almost nothing that my desktop can do? I wouldn't even trade my Linux machines. I would, however, considering getting something like an Android device as a phone. I doubt I would ever be able to completely convert to anything that is not a desktop.

@Aosaw, I clicked the link against my better judgement :(. I cringed when I saw the device running Windows 8. I cringe every time I have to run up Win8 just to test some piece of software for work, too. It's better than a guy I know who still has the night terrors from using the preview version. (Joking)

Still, I don't know about that. Phones, such as the Nokia N97 (which I have) and Blackberry smartphones, don't seem overly popular when coupled with a proper keyboard these days. So I'm not sure whether or not tablets with keyboards will have that much popularity, either. If anything, I can see laptops dying a slow death in favour of tablets. I know a few co-workers who have switched over to using an iPad for their work when they are out of the office - mainly for taking notes - instead of having a laptop, and have gotten rid of their laptop. Most of the people I know who have made such a change have also kept the desktop for home use.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Aosaw said:

Honestly, I'd say this is probably more where we're headed: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/special-offers.workflow:ShowPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Landing_pages/Convertibles-splitter&menu-id=products&ref-id=products

A hyper-lightweight laptop with a built-in touch screen that enables it to be used as both a laptop-with-keyboard and as a tablet. A lot of product developers are working on these, and the price points for them aren't significantly higher than they are for a tablet or a laptop.

I tend to disagree with that. I just don't see what the target user is for this type of product. It's too complex for those who use tablets for their simplicity, and the touch screen is of little use to those who'll want to take advantage of its keyboard and mouse interface.

The reason Apple isn't making those is that Apple knows what it's doing, IMO.

@Kitteh_on_a_cloud, I'm puzzled by your post, since what I said was in agreement with you.
    @belgarathmth: Sorry, guess I misunderstood. It was still early when I replied to your post and in a bit of a bad mood (anyone having seen my whining in the topic of unhappiness/vent your sorrow should've noticed why). Typing skills have indeed become kind of obligatory nowadays, and on-screen keyboards may look fancy, but they kind of neglect what makes fast typing so practical. But on the other hand I can understand where developers are coming from too.
    Who needs to type when you have you have speech recognition built in to your Google Glass?