Skip to content

So is it worth touching... Mass Effect [No Spoilers Please]

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I found the Mass Effect as one of the best games I've ever played. I suggest you buy the whole series packaged in one. I believe it's called Mass Effect Trilogy.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Samus said:

deltago said:

@Samus would you play it on console or PC?

I found the first one much better on PC but the other two better on console.

Most definitely PC... console users are often mutton-mongering riffraff...
    I could take this as an insult to my boyfriend...But I won't. Let's just say that the whole PC vs. Console war is older and more spoiled than blue cheese. It's childish too. Leave people be.

@Illustair: Indeed, but the Mass Effect Trilogy pack doesn't include all DLC, just all three main games. :)
  • BoozillaBoozilla Member Posts: 46
    I am a HUGE fan of the Mass Effect series, I enjoyed it as a whole, (...I love some the aliens more then the humans... ahah).
    It was very much inspired by Sid Mead's art, which you can see everywhere in these games.
    If you can handle the sometimes awkward third-person shooter, the story should make up for it... er.. *coughs* until the end.
    Give it a try. :)
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    The original ending was bad. It was not just bad, it was the worst ending I've ever seen in a game. No matter what you wanted from the game, no matter how bad you expected it to be, nothing could prepare you for the massive disaster it was.

There is actually a Happy Ending mod, I haven't tried it out myself yet, but people seem to like it a lot better than the original ending: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/368/index/14795358/1
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    i like FPS games near as much as i like RPG games. So, to me, ME serie was the perfect harmony of both game styles.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    As a pretty hardcore fan, all three are pretty flawed gameplay wise. But no one likes the games for the combat, and the universe is really quite fantastic. I recommend it to everybody.

I think the drama over the ending is overplayed, but this is coming from someone who thought it was decent.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited April 2013

@Illustair: Indeed, but the Mass Effect Trilogy pack doesn't include all DLC, just all three main games. :)

Oh, it doesn't? Too bad. The one DLC you ( @Samus ) shouldn't miss is Lair of the Shadow Broker in Mass Effect 2. At the end of the day, no DLC is necessary to make the game feel like a complete experience (excluding Extended Cut...somewhat). But Lair of the Shadow Broker is a high quality additional content that is worth the pay, and something you should consider above the rest of the DLCs. Mass Effect Trilogy is still the best offer for now though. But I'm still hoping they'd release Mass Effect Trilogy: Ultimate Edition ala Dragon Age.;p
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    The marketing side of Mass Effect has always been garbage, why re-release all the games if they are missing all the extra content?
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    deltago said:

Replaying the series.

#1 is very good but can tends to be slow as it builds up the mythos of the ME universe.
    #2 is probably the best of the franchise. Great story, and interesting NPCs. There is actually a race against time lacking in other games.
    #3 starts off amazingly. Epic battles; a story captures feeling of both hope and hopelessness as your decisions from the previous games transforms the story till the end where it implodes upon itself. As long as you do not expect the ending to be as epic as the rest of the franchise, it is still worth it.

The DRM part of the third game isn't needed anymore iirc. I never played the MP part of the game, however, I can see how it would interest others.

I agree with this man. #1 has more RPG elements, which is probably what's driving the relative love for it in this thread, but it incorporates them in a pretty clumsy fashion IMO. I liked the series better streamlined, surprisingly.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited April 2013

The marketing side of Mass Effect has always been garbage, why re-release all the games if they are missing all the extra content?

So they can re-release them later for even more sales. < 3 EA.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    deltago said:

So they can re-release them later for even more sales. < 3 EA.
    And they will want to complain later about people who counterfeit their access to those DLCs. Fucking unloyal marketing pratice if i have to say anything about.